THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire OC Todd Monken

Alkid3

11 minutes ago, Alkid3 said:

Was with the bucs. Baker should do well under him. Thoughts?

I mean as long as he's essentially fetching Kitchens coffee...….I don't see the point of an outright OC since Kitchens is essentially that. I get it, being HC means you have other shit to do as well....but that means OC is essentially an attache to a pure offensive coach like Kitchens. 

Apparently a user of the “Air Raid” offense. Lots of shotgun, no huddle, split offensive line scheme(bigger passing windows, easier to get pressured)

“Another advantage is that by forcing the defensive line to widen, it opens up wide passing lanes for the QB to throw the ball through with less chance of having his pass knocked down or intercepted.”

Sounds like we’re gonna be running and gunning. Next year will be fun.

edit: Lincoln Riley is a user of the Air Raid system. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense

1 minute ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Apparently a user of the “Air Raid” offense. Lots of shotgun, no huddle, split offensive line scheme(bigger passing windows, easier to get pressured)

“Another advantage is that by forcing the defensive line to widen, it opens up wide passing lanes for the QB to throw the ball through with less chance of having his pass knocked down or intercepted.”

Sounds like we’re gonna be running and gunning. Next year will be fun.

That's not how you play offense in the AFC north tho. Not a huge fan of that air raid horseshit that works out west.  

38 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

That's not how you play offense in the AFC north tho. Not a huge fan of that air raid horseshit that works out west.  

Hopefully Browns are going to play to the strengths of the matchups. 

There will still be a physical run game involved, we have Nick Chubb still. Kitchens was the RBs coach, he ran the ball from under center as the OC.

This style offense is suited for Baker, and this roster has the talent to run this offense. Baker drops dimes

2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I hope he is more of a passing game strategist and Kitchens calls the plays. The bucs rushing attack was hot garbage and I dont want to see an offense that limits Chubb

I think he’ll be a paper shuffler and middle man. I just can’t see Freddie handing off on play calling. That’s been his strength nd I’m sure the team will play to that

2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I hope he is more of a passing game strategist and Kitchens calls the plays. The bucs rushing attack was hot garbage and I dont want to see an offense that limits Chubb

I live in the area and the Bucs' oline only had 1 reliable guy (Ali Marpet from Hobart); and he played injured much of the year.  If you go back and watch when Fitzpatrick was tearing it up, including scoring 42 points on the Saints in the opener, there's some things to like about what the TB offense accomplished in spite of their line.  All the fan fuss on the radio seemed to be about their oline and lack of pass rush  - aside from the impatience with Winston on and off the field (especially when they saw the first few performances of Fitzpatrick in comparison). Many thought the GM should have been fired too...

16 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Not a bad thought. I’m hearing tho that they plan on staying with Stanton. Tyrod is most likely gone. And of course that could all change in a heartbeat

Ya, Baker seems to really like Stanton.  When Tyrod leaves I'd bring in Fitz.  I'm sure Fitz will be pretty expensive for a backup though, and actually might get a starting job with some QB hungry team

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I live in the area and the Bucs' oline only had 1 reliable guy (Ali Marpet from Hobart); and he played injured much of the year.  If you go back and watch when Fitzpatrick was tearing it up, including scoring 42 points on the Saints in the opener, there's some things to like about what the TB offense accomplished in spite of their line.  All the fan fuss on the radio seemed to be about their oline and lack of pass rush  - aside from the impatience with Winston on and off the field (especially when they saw the first few performances of Fitzpatrick in comparison). Many thought the GM should have been fired too...

I live in the area as well.. DeSean Jackson checking out on the team didn't help either Monken well do well for the Browns..

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

Ya, Baker seems to really like Stanton.  When Tyrod leaves I'd bring in Fitz.  I'm sure Fitz will be pretty expensive for a backup though, and actually might get a starting job with some QB hungry team

Eevery team Fitzgerald has gone to, the starting QB has got an injury... Do you really want that for Baker? 😨

12 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

I mean as long as he's essentially fetching Kitchens coffee...….I don't see the point of an outright OC since Kitchens is essentially that. I get it, being HC means you have other shit to do as well....but that means OC is essentially an attache to a pure offensive coach like Kitchens. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Freddie is the HC now.  This new guy is well respected as a play caller.  There is a good chance Freddie won't be calling the plays on a regular basis.

The last thing I want is a first time head coach, who was a running backs coach to start this season, being burdened with also calling plays on game day. I certainly hope that Monken was hired to be the offensive coordinator, and not a glorified administrative assistant as some suggest here. 

54 minutes ago, BigHittertheLama said:

The last thing I want is a first time head coach, who was a running backs coach to start this season, being burdened with also calling plays on game day. I certainly hope that Monken was hired to be the offensive coordinator, and not a glorified administrative assistant as some suggest here. 

That was addressed in the press conference, and Freddie said he would continue to call plays and that Monken was aware of that but signed on anyway. Kind of curious since l thought Monken was condidered good at the play calling thing and would have preferred a gig where he could do that, but guess not.

1 hour ago, BigHittertheLama said:

Don't let that get to you too much. Freddie deserves a shot to call the plays simply because our offense was too dynamic to think about giving that duty to someone else for the start of the season. If it's obvious that ain't working out Monken is a very good hire to step up a bit more. There's many coaches (Payton and McVay come to mind) who call the plays and also HC. I'm willing to give it a shot that's for sure.

24 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Don't let that get to you too much. Freddie deserves a shot to call the plays simply because our offense was too dynamic to think about giving that duty to someone else for the start of the season. If it's obvious that ain't working out Monken is a very good hire to step up a bit more. There's many coaches (Payton and McVay come to mind) who call the plays and also HC. I'm willing to give it a shot that's for sure.

Freddie said in the presser that he's still calling the plays. Could be Todd will be able to suggest what and when from the sideline. 

The plus is the terminology won't change, how often have we seen guys having to learn a new playbook every August?  

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Freddie said in the presser that he's still calling the plays. Could be Todd will be able to suggest what and when from the sideline. 

The plus is the terminology won't change, how often have we seen guys having to learn a new playbook every August?  

I'm am absolutely giddy at the idea of Mayfield and Co. NOT having to learn a new offense going into next season. 

Hell, they won't have to for another one after that. THREE seasons in a row running the same offense?

TOMFOOLERY! 

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

I'm am absolutely giddy at the idea of Mayfield and Co. NOT having to learn a new offense going into next season. 

Hell, they won't have to for another one after that. THREE seasons in a row running the same offense?

TOMFOOLERY! 

celebrate good times 

Archived