THE BROWNS BOARD

More Playoff Trivia

The Gipper

Here is more Playoff trivia.    See what you can do:

1. A. Name the 3 teams who have won the ONLY  single one Super Bowl that they have played in.  

B. Name the 3 teams that have lost the only single one Super Bowl they have played in.

2. Based on the 8 teams that are still in the playoffs as of now.....What Super Bowl rematches are possible?   

3. A.  Which team has won the most AFC title games?  

B. Which team has lost the most AFC title games?

4. What is the only team to lose  3 consecutive AFC title games?

5. What AFC has made the most consecutive AFC title game appearances?  (win or lose)

6. A.  Which team has won the most NFC Championship games?

B. Which team has lost the most NFC Championship games?

7. What team has won the most NFC Championship games without losing one?

8. Name the two teams that played in the 1991 NFC Championship game,  yet neither team has returned to play in the game since.

9. What stadium hosted THE very first official  NFL postseason game in history?

10. What do these teams represent:   The Akron Pros, The Frankford Yellow Jackets, The Providence Steam Roller,  the Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs?

11.  How many times has each AFCN city  hosted the AFC Conference Championship game since 1970?

Baltimore:

Cincy:

Cleveland:

Pittsburgh:

12.  Since the 1970 merger....three current  AFC cities have NEVER hosted an AFC championship game.  Name those cities.

(Note:  EVERY  current NFC city has hosted an NFC title game)

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

1. A. Name the 3 teams who have won the ONLY  single one Super Bowl that they have played in.  JETS, CHIEFS , CANNOT THINK OF 3RD

B. Name the 3 teams that have lost the only single one Super Bowl they have played in.  CHARGERS

2. Based on the 8 teams that are still in the playoffs as of now.....What Super Bowl rematches are possible?   PATS/EAGLES. PATS/RAMS, SAINTS/COLTS

3. A.  Which team has won the most AFC title games?  HAS TO BE PATS

B. Which team has lost the most AFC title games? SQUEALERS

4. What is the only team to lose  3 consecutive AFC title games? RAIDERS IN 70S ?

5. What AFC has made the most consecutive AFC title game appearances?  (win or lose)  PATS AGAIN ?

6. A.  Which team has won the most NFC Championship games?  49RS ?

B. Which team has lost the most NFC Championship games? 49RS ALSO ?

7. What team has won the most NFC Championship games without losing one? GIANTS ?

8. Name the two teams that played in the 1991 NFC Championship game,  yet neither team has returned to play in the game since.  LIONS V CANNOT REMEMBER

9. What stadium hosted THE very first official  NFL postseason game in history? NO IDEA

10. What do these teams represent:   The Akron Pros, The Frankford Yellow Jackets, The Providence Steam Roller,  the Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs? NO IDEA

11.  How many times has each AFCN city  hosted the AFC Conference Championship game since 1970?

Baltimore: NO IDEA

Cincy:  NO IDEA

Cleveland:  1 ( FUCK OFF DENVER ) AND FUCK OFF DENVER FOR THE OTHER 2 GAMES TOO

Pittsburgh: NO IDEA

12.  Since the 1970 merger....three current  AFC cities have NEVER hosted an AFC championship game.  Name those cities.

(Note:  EVERY  current NFC city has hosted an NFC title game)     NASHVILLE, HOUSTON, KANSAS CITY ?

1. A. Name the 3 teams who have won the ONLY  single one Super Bowl that they have played in.  JETS, CHIEFS , CANNOT THINK OF 3RD

Jets, check, not Chiefs.   Chiefs have been in 2 SBs.

B. Name the 3 teams that have lost the only single one Super Bowl they have played in.  CHARGERS  That is one

2. Based on the 8 teams that are still in the playoffs as of now.....What Super Bowl rematches are possible?   PATS/EAGLES. PATS/RAMS, SAINTS/COLTS    Check on these....there is one more.

3. A.  Which team has won the most AFC title games?  HAS TO BE PATS  Check

B. Which team has lost the most AFC title games? SQUEALERS  Check

4. What is the only team to lose  3 consecutive AFC title games? RAIDERS IN 70S ?  Good enough.  Check  (73/74/75)

5. What AFC has made the most consecutive AFC title game appearances?  (win or lose)  PATS AGAIN ?  Check

6. A.  Which team has won the most NFC Championship games?  49RS ?  NO

B. Which team has lost the most NFC Championship games? 49RS ALSO ?  Check

7. What team has won the most NFC Championship games without losing one? GIANTS ?  Check

8. Name the two teams that played in the 1991 NFC Championship game,  yet neither team has returned to play in the game since. LIONS V CANNOT REMEMBER  Lions check

9. What stadium hosted THE very first official  NFL postseason game in history? NO IDEA

10. What do these teams represent:   The Akron Pros, The Frankford Yellow Jackets, The Providence Steam Roller,  the Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs? NO IDEA

Baltimore: NO IDEA

Cincy:  NO IDEA

Cleveland:  1 ( FUCK OFF DENVER ) AND FUCK OFF DENVER FOR THE OTHER 2 GAMES TOO  1 is right...check

Pittsburgh: NO IDEA

(Note:  EVERY  current NFC city has hosted an NFC title game)     NASHVILLE, HOUSTON, KANSAS CITY ?  These are actually ALL correct...however, I got the question wrong....there IS another AFC city that has never hosted the  the AFC title game.....MY bad!   So check on what you gave...and there is one more.

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

(Note:  EVERY  current NFC city has hosted an NFC title game)     NASHVILLE, HOUSTON, KANSAS CITY ?  These are actually ALL correct...however, I got the question wrong....there IS another AFC city that has never hosted the  the AFC title game.....MY bad!   So check on what you gave...and there is one more.

Hmmmm  tricky question or go with the obvious?  I'll narrow it down to CIN, NYJ or JAX.......I'll pick JAX.

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hmmmm  tricky question or go with the obvious?  I'll narrow it down to CIN, NYJ or JAX.......I'll pick JAX.

I think its New York Jets .... NYC has hosted an NFC game but not an AFC ...my guess

Second chance saloon.   These still apply to this week:

1. A. Name the 2 teams...besides the Jets who have won the ONLY  single one Super Bowl that they have played in.  

B. Name the 3 teams that have lost the only single one Super Bowl they have played in.

2. Based on the 8 teams that are still in the playoffs as of now.....What Super Bowl rematches are possible?   We already got Pats/Rams (still possible)  Pats/Eagles (out), Saints/Colts (out).      There was one more...but that is now out of the picture....so I will give it to you:  it was the Colts/Cowboys (1971).

8. Name the two teams that played in the 1991 NFC Championship game,  yet neither team has returned to play in the game since.  We already got the Lions...who was the other?

10. What do these teams represent:   The Akron Pros, The Frankford Yellow Jackets, The Providence Steam Roller,  the Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs?

11.  How many times has each  current AFCN city  hosted the AFC Conference Championship game since 1970?

Baltimore:  Hint: while this is not a trick question...the answer will seem like it may be.

Cincy:

Cleveland:  already got:  1 time

Pittsburgh:

1. A. Name the 2 teams...besides the Jets who have won the ONLY  single one Super Bowl that they have played in.  

Chiefs and Saints

Panthers, Titans, Chargers

2. Based on the 8 teams that are still in the playoffs as of now.....What Super Bowl rematches are possible?   We already got Pats/Rams (still possible)  Pats/Eagles (out), Saints/Colts (out).      There was one more...but that is now out of the picture....so I will give it to you:  it was the Colts/Cowboys (1971).

Cowboys

8. Name the two teams that played in the 1991 NFC Championship game,  yet neither team has returned to play in the game since.  We already got the Lions...who was the other?

Skins

The one in Canton

First four Champions?

11.  How many times has each  current AFCN city  hosted the AFC Conference Championship game since 1970?

Baltimore:  Hint: while this is not a trick question...the answer will seem like it may be.

Colts and Ravens ... 4?

Cincy: 2?

Pittsburgh: 7?

24 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Chiefs and Saints  Saints yes....not Chiefs. (Chiefs appeared in 2 SBs: I  and IV).  Interestingly....these two could appear this year. One more not yet named. 

Panthers, Titans, Chargers  Check on Titans/Chargers.   Panthers have been in 2 SBs .  One more.

Cowboys Check

Skins Check

The one in Canton....NO

First four Champions?  No, not first 4.  They were all early...but they were not the first 4.

Colts and Ravens ... 4?  NO

Cincy: 2?  Check

Pittsburgh: 7? NO...

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Second chance saloon.   These still apply to this week:

Saints and Bucs

Chargers titans cardinals

Cowboys

Redskins beat the Lions

I'm not sure if you're talking pre super bowl era. I assume you are so I'll go with Chicago Stadium. Moved inside due to weather.

No clue

Baltimore:  Hint: while this is not a trick question...the answer will seem like it may be

1 as the Colts. Ravens have been road team every time they made it

Cincy: 2

Pittsburgh: 10 or 11 I'm thinking 11

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Check on Wrigley field 

did it not get moved inside due to weather? I could have sworn they moved it inside because I remember hearing they had to modify the field. Was only 80 yards long 60 from goal line to goal line. Maybe i dreamed it.

10 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

did it not get moved inside due to weather? I could have sworn they moved it inside because I remember hearing they had to modify the field. Was only 80 yards long 60 from goal line to goal line. Maybe i dreamed it.

That was an unofficial game played in 1932. The first official NFL playoff game was a 1933 held in Wrigley Field between the Bears and I believe the Giants 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

That was an unofficial game played in 1932. The first official NFL playoff game was a 1933 held in Wrigley Field between the Bears and I believe the Giants Inside that arena

Chicago Stadium, I believe. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Chicago Stadium, I believe. 

Perhaps....it was an arena in Chicago for that 1932 game....which in reality was just an exhibition game.  It did NOT count for the championship.  But it did give the league the idea for a championship game, and the next year they did hold an official one in Wrigley.

Answers:

1. A. Name the 3 teams who have won the ONLY  single one Super Bowl that they have played in.

Saints, Bucs, Jets 

Chargers, Titans, Cardinals

2. Based on the 8 teams that are still in the playoffs as of now.....What Super Bowl rematches are possible?   

They were:   Pats/Rams....the only one still in play.    Pats/Eagles,  Saints/Colts,  Colts/Cowboys.

3. A.  Which team has won the most AFC title games?   Patriots....10   so far

B. Which team has lost the most AFC title games?  Steelers  8

4. What is the only team to lose  3 consecutive AFC title games?

1973/74/75  Oakland Raiders.....one to the Dolphins, two to the Steelers

5. What AFC has made the most consecutive AFC title game appearances?  (win or lose)

Patriots   2011 to current.....and Sunday will make 8 in a row.

6. A.  Which team has won the most NFC Championship games?  Cowboys

B. Which team has lost the most NFC Championship games?  49ers

7. What team has won the most NFC Championship games without losing one?  Giants are 5-0 in NFC title games

8. Name the two teams that played in the 1991 NFC Championship game,  yet neither team has returned to play in the game since.

Lions and Redskins.....played that game and neither has returned in now about 27-28 years.

Wrigley Field Chicago...1933

Defunct teams that have won the NFL Championship.   All in the 1920s.  Pros won the first ever title.  YJs and STs one each.  Bulldogs three times.   The  Steam Roller won the title in 1928   and no other defunct team won the NFL title since.   (plus, no AAFC or AFL team has gone defunct either)

Baltimore:  1 time.....but it was the Colts, not the Ravens

Cincy:  2 times 

Cleveland:  1 time

Pittsburgh:  11 times

12.  Since the 1970 merger....three  four current  AFC cities have NEVER hosted an AFC championship game.  Name those cities.

It was Nashville, Houston,  New York...and Kansas City  (but on Sunday that changes with KCs first ever AFC title game host.

(Note:  EVERY  current NFC city has hosted an NFC title game)

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Perhaps....it was an arena in Chicago for that 1932 game....which in reality was just an exhibition game.  It did NOT count for the championship.  But it did give the league the idea for a championship game, and the next year they did hold an official one in Wrigley.

The pro football Hall of fame recognizes it as a game to determine the champion

https://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/decades/1930s/first-playoff-game/

4 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

The pro football Hall of fame recognizes it as a game to determine the champion

https://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/decades/1930s/first-playoff-game/

Well...I don't know.....but from the same article you linked this was in there:

On July 8, 1933, the NFL was divided into two divisions for the first time and the winners of each division were to play a championship game to determine the league champion. On Dec. 17, 1933, the Bears defeated the New York Giants, 23-21 in the first official NFL championship game.

So...its one of those things.   If in fact the 1932 game WAS used to determine the league championship....why then was it not "official"?

It may be like the NFL not recognizing the AAFC, even though they merged with that league.  (the reason for that action was simple: Bert Bell who served as both the owners of the Eagles and as NFL Commissioner was jealous and bitter over the fact that the Browns came into the league and wiped the defending NFL champion Eagles asses....and went on to win the title in their first year in the league...and to dominate the league.   It is mere pettiness.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well...I don't know.....but from the same article you linked this was in there:

On July 8, 1933, the NFL was divided into two divisions for the first time and the winners of each division were to play a championship game to determine the league champion. On Dec. 17, 1933, the Bears defeated the New York Giants, 23-21 in the first official NFL championship game.

So...its one of those things.   If in fact the 1932 game WAS used to determine the league championship....why then was it not "official"?

It may be like the NFL not recognizing the AAFC, even though they merged with that league.  (the reason for that action was simple: Bert Bell who served as both the owners of the Eagles and as NFL Commissioner was jealous and bitter over the fact that the Browns came into the league and wiped the defending NFL champion Eagles asses....and went on to win the title in their first year in the league...and to dominate the league.   It is mere pettiness.

I think it is just semantics. As in 1932 it was a one game playoff to determine the champion. Then based on the success of that playoff game before the next season they determined there would be a Post season championship game prior to the start of the season.

If portsmouth had won that game in 32 they would have been noted the champs so it had to be for the championship

Archived