Canton Mike

Freddie's Staff searches

1 hour ago, Bigalow80 said:

Here's the bottom line...Most of these guys realize, that the Browns are the "up and coming team" similar to what the Rams were just before McVay took over. If this team performs as well or better than expected MOST of them will be getting head coaching interviews. I hate to say they are using the Browns as a potential stepping stone, but that is kind of what the NFL does in their coaching searches. I'm not going to complain. If the Browns win and develop a good culture that sustains winning aka NE, than I'm ok with the one year and go mentality. It's all about bring a SB championship to this organization!!

Sort of refreshing though. Instead having to fire coaches because they suck (Ray Horton) we're getting quality guys with higher aspirations. Dorsey knows the HC is the key. I wouldn't even want to guess how many assistants Bill has gone through in New England.

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL, except you can't "recruit" in the pros- well , he's probably not going to be a factor "recruiting" FA Jadeveon Clowney to come here. He'll be franchised anyway.   But can he coach is the question... :)  

As has been noted he is an ace recruiter. Above-average tactician. And like you said free agency is the recruiting in the NFL so maybe he can make a Big Splash in that. But he has been under a great defensive mind at Alabama (saban) and was the defensive coordinator this last year and co dc the year before. You don't become the defensive coordinator of Alabama without at the least being an above-average coach.

What's interesting to me as a huge college football fan is the amount of staff leaving Nick Saban. I don't know if maybe he is on his way out and they know it or if something else is going on. Or maybe they all just want to get in the NFL or took upward moves

Lupoi would also know, from a Coaches perspective, any Alabama potential draft picks this year. Not a bad little side benefit.

Mike

• Upvote 1

I am just imagining the new play book ....offensive minds Kitchens and Monken's blueprint for the future ....air raids and trick plays ......... we will be taking lots of risks I think in 2019 ...should be fun to watch ....... receivers will be in for a treat if we connect

Oh dear .....I have put him straight

2012: Monken's Oklahoma State offense is so dominant #Browns are convinced to draft Okla State QB Brandon Weeden in the first round. 2014: #Browns cut Weeden. 2019: #Browns hire Monken as offensive coordinator.

28 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Oh dear .....I have put him straight

2012: Monken's Oklahoma State offense is so dominant #Browns are convinced to draft Okla State QB Brandon Weeden in the first round. 2014: #Browns cut Weeden. 2019: #Browns hire Monken as offensive coordinator.

Well....this may simply prove that Monken is somewhat of  a genius at being able to get the best out of any QB....even Brandon Weeden.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, darren15 said:

DxKY5PPVsAMo_HN.jpg

I agree with the thought people jump on the bandwagon to further their careers.  We would all do that.

What I like is the way Kitchens has set this up.   On both O and D, those coordinators will be high interest guys for head coaching positions.  What I like is we have other guys in place to take over.  Kitchens like Lindley.  I could see him stepping in to the OC role when Monken moves on.  On D, if Wilkes moves on,  the hiring of Chris Jones looks to be the insurance on that side of the ball.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, darren15 said:

DxKY5PPVsAMo_HN.jpg

Random thoughts:

Jim Dray brings back memories of our 2014 team that inexplicably got off to a 7-4 start.  He was a TE we signed from Arizona, if memory serves me right, that was brought here primarily for his blocking skills.   Oddly enough, what I remember most about him were some of the great catches he made in clutch situations. He wasn't all that fast either.  Anyway, this is the type of guy I could see helping young players tapping skills they aren't aware they have. 

I think the same Adam Henry who was the position coach for Odell Beckham Jr and Jarvis Landry at LSU - did a tremendous job coaching up our young WR Corps.  Even if just a coincidence, look at what he tapped out of Perriman that 2 other NFL teams couldn't.  And then there's Callaway overcoming the early season dropsies.  Above all, I noticed all of our WRs blocking on the perimeter when they weren't receiving passes (which many divas in this league won't do).  Jarvis Landry, in particular, was often seen blocking to the echo of the whistle frustrating DBs.  Not bad for a guy whose reputation said he was only a slot receiver.  Looking back on it all, I wonder if Adam Henry was one of the biggest reasons Landry wanted to come here (outside of the money we had to spend of course).

Living in the Clearwater/Tampa area - the local sports radio reflected fans liked OC Todd Monken way more than they liked Dirk Koetter. Some of that was fair and some wasn't.  Once upon a time, the offensive background of Koetter was what made him a HC candidate in the first place. Unfortunately, that doesn't always add up to  the right guy in charge of all 3 phases plus the coaching staff and players. That was my initial concern with Freddie as much as I loved the job he did as OC the last 8 weeks.  However, Freddie was quick to point out he wasn't just a RB coach during his 13 years of coaching experience in this league.  That put me a little more at ease with his jump from RB Coach to OC to Head Coach within 1 year in the sense Dorsey didn't exactly hire an NFL newbie.  Kitchens has seen first hand here what works and what doesn't with the staff and players.   Bill Belicheck may put monotone sentences together like Rain Man; BUT his ability to see things other coaches are incapable of creates and perpetuates all the cred he needs up-top.  Love him or hate him, there was also something in his body of work that brought him to his inevitable fate as an incredibly successful HC.  Any reason Freddie can't be the same kind of right guy in the right place at the right time in Cleveland?    We're just going to see...

If you made it this far - the drinks are on me.   I'll treat and you pay...

• Upvote 2

I think this coaching staff will get the best out of the players abilities.  I am as excited to see them in the sidelines.

More than the staff a few years ago when we had norv Turner as OC.

It will be interesting to see how the Browns react to actually having expectations on them now. 

It's one thing to jump from horrible to decent... but another thing to go to contender. 

cNo reason at all that he can't.

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It will be interesting to see how the Browns react to actually having expectations on them now. 

It's one thing to jump from horrible to decent... but another thing to go to contender. 

I guess one way to look at it is they had higher expectations last year then many of us did, especially once Hue was canned.  Not that firing Hue was a bad thing.  It's just that it usually doesn't work out well once you go to a interim coach mid season.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, darren15 said:

DxKY5PPVsAMo_HN.jpg

What does a "Quality Control" coach do?

Make sure the balls are inflated.  The Patriots have them.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Mostly break down film of the team you're going to be playing. Some really big name coaches (Gruden, McCarthy) started out as QC coaches.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Control's  Quality

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/13/2019 at 7:53 PM, thenew23 said:

Does anybody think Freddie will call plays? Or just a traditional HC?

Word was that his OC will call the plays.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:01 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

I thought there were less penalties when hue took a hike.

And you'd be right...

After Williams shit-canned the disco-practices total penalties fell from 65 in the first 8 games to 47 in the last 8... that's pushing a 30% drop.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:09 PM, darren15 said:

CFL Riders HC Chris Jones has left his job to take up a position on the Browns defensive staff under Wilks

Between this move and the Bama DC's move, it sounds like we are lining up potential DC replacements  for Wilks (and they for the job at the NFL level), who should get another HC shot in a couple years.

If I'm right, then that's some seriously forward-looking succession planning there.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

everything I've heard makes me think Freddy is going to be calling the plays.

And you'd be right...

After Williams shit-canned the disco-practices total penalties fell from 65 in the first 8 games to 47 in the last 8... that's pushing a 30% drop.

which is a nagging concern to me we went from a player's coach to a Taskmaster and now back to a player's coach. Hopefully Freddy will keep the pressure on. Of course a lot of those penalties were offensive penalties and that was Freddy's wheelhouse

Between this move and the Bama DC's move, it sounds like we are lining up potential DC replacements  for Wilks (and they for the job at the NFL level), who should get another HC shot in a couple years.

If I'm right, then that's some seriously forward-looking succession planning there.

assuming that there is a great deal of success in the Browns near future..🤞

WSS

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Freddie said in his presser that he will be calling the plays - not the OC. 

The OC will probably be a lot like Andy Reid's OC in the sense he will be kept very busy during the week of preparation; while he keeps even busier on the sideline staying out of Andy's way (especially with the play calling).  That doesn't mean he won't give input during the week of things they can exploit. He may even put him up in the press box to watch the blitz and disguised/delayed blitz tendencies as well as some areas of vulnerability and mismatches to attack that weren't in the game plans.