THE BROWNS BOARD

Freddie's Staff searches

Canton Mike

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

A wide blend of calls ranging from your typical tampa 2,  inverted cover 2, quarters with man under etc etc.   The other common thing you'll routinely see are the 5 man pressures and some 33 looks.    Saw Luke roll around quite a bit in a swap cover 3 shell even.      A really interesting blend of pattern matching zones.       The biggest take away I have is this - Wilks was spoiled by having Keuchly.   Schob is a hell of a guy to have in coverage as well, but he isn't quite Luke.  Can he be the 2.0 lite version?  I believe so.   But the Thomas Davis compliment isn't there on our end.  

I think Scho is ready for the challenge. He’s only been in the league 2 years, and plays like he’s an older veteran.

Now we can hope Collins will become more of a factor as the compliment to Joe in this scheme. I can see an LB being taken in the earlier rounds as well.

I am a big fan of zone schemes(with occasional man and man blitzes thrown in). 

The sky is the limit for this defense in the coming years.

I like the Wilks hire, but I do have a concern about Denzel Ward playing mostly Zone. He is more of a press man cover corner. I'm sure he can adapt but it's going to take some time. Most of the times balls were caught on him this year were when we were in zone coverage and he didn't get deep enough in a cover 2 or didn't see a guy coming into his zone. My other concern with Ward in zone coverage is those times that he does get deep enough they will throw underneath and he will have to come up and make a tackle. It's not that he can't make the tackle it's can he make the tackle while keeping his head out of the play to keep from getting yet another concussion

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Wilks is official ...

Z

2 hours ago, darren15 said:

As is Stump

http://nfltraderumors.co/browns-hiring-former-jets-rbs-coach-stump-mitchell/

Probably means Lindley goes to QB coach

Wika shows him hired in Zona a day ago? & i honestly don't trust this woman Mrs. Anderson as any kind of source.. 

2 hours ago, darren15 said:

We also hired Packers O line coach ........

do we have confirming links on any of these? am seeing more candidates coming :huh:

17 hours ago, darren15 said:

We also hired Packers O line coach ........

I'm still kind of stunned OL Coach Bob Wylie was fired here in a place where the continuity of progress should be extremely important. Near the end of the season I read an artcile full of Joel Bitonio's warm and fuzzy about the guy on the team's website.  He spoke about the job he did getting the line to gel and being the first line coach to tap Robinson's talent that reminded teammates why he was a 2nd pick overall.  I also thought our other OT (Hubbard) who struggled earlier in the year improved quite a bit in the 2nd part of the year.  I think the offensive line climbed up to an elite rating at the end of the year (which reflects well on Freddie as well as Wylie) IMO.

We had a rookie RB average 5.3 yards per carry.  We also had a rookie QB set a record throwing 27 TD passes despite only starting 13 games. Another positive trend that Freddie deserves a great deal of credit for was the reduction in sacks via getting Baker to get the ball out of his hands quicker.  That's usually an easier said than done with rookie QBs - especially in Cleveland.

As much as I like Dorsey, I'm still reading and hearing Jimmy continues to prefer more Chiefs than Indians when it comes time to make a decision.  That can get very rocky and turbulent as we've seen first hand. I just hope we're careful about all this changing especially after all the progress we finally saw on the offensive side of the ball.   I think we were a lot more happy with our running game and passing game than Green Bay fans were in the 2nd half of the season.  IMO, you can get too cute with changing to the extent you're changing something that didn't really need to be changed.  I always thought Goldie Hawn and Meg Ryan were hotties until they had plastic surgery. After looking to the unnecessary - their faces look deformed.  Why?  Same thing applies to what I thought we were just building.

All that said, if it was Freddie's input saying Bob Wylie NEEDED to be fired - I'd feel a lot better about it. I'm very glad we kept our WR Coach (Adam Henry) when I look at how much Callaway improved as well as how much more he got out of Perriman than any other NFL WR Coach to date.  Not only that, he actually had our WRs blocking people down field not to be confused with Webster Slaughter taking inventory of his groin while the guy he refused to block (Jeremiah Castille) stripped the ball from Byner. 

Edited by Flugel
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

I like the Wilks hire, but I do have a concern about Denzel Ward playing mostly Zone. He is more of a press man cover corner. I'm sure he can adapt but it's going to take some time. Most of the times balls were caught on him this year were when we were in zone coverage and he didn't get deep enough in a cover 2 or didn't see a guy coming into his zone. My other concern with Ward in zone coverage is those times that he does get deep enough they will throw underneath and he will have to come up and make a tackle. It's not that he can't make the tackle it's can he make the tackle while keeping his head out of the play to keep from getting yet another concussion

Denzel doesn't bother me so much.   That first pick he had of Ben was dropping in cover 2.   He's just very aggressive underneath.     Another question I have is the deployment of Peppers. I see the role that Wilks used where the 5th man pressure was a DB - a role Pep Pep would fill well.  Beyond that?   While he is improving back on the hash he still plays hesitant at times.

20 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I think Scho is ready for the challenge. He’s only been in the league 2 years, and plays like he’s an older veteran.

Now we can hope Collins will become more of a factor as the compliment to Joe in this scheme. I can see an LB being taken in the earlier rounds as well.

I am a big fan of zone schemes(with occasional man and man blitzes thrown in). 

The sky is the limit for this defense in the coming years.

Collins and Kirk and Obgah are my question marks.  I wouldn't shed a tear if either were replaced.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:10 AM, Canton Dawg said:

First Energy Stadium would have about 30 old cars up on cinder blocks in front of the place.

Not to mention a pickup truck with a gun rack, and a nice set of curtains over the back window.

You forgot an old washer and dryer...

On 1/11/2019 at 2:06 PM, darren15 said:

We have a new ST coordinator

Browns Hiring Mike Priefer As Special Teams Coordinator http://bit.ly/2VLytEI 

So the #20 ST's coach is now ours...

I guess that's an improvement.

Tabor is looking good in retrospect.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:14 PM, hoorta said:

Too strong a personality. He wouldn't want to be running Kitchens offense...  

From Terry Pluto's article...   "And they wanted a coach who could work with a very strong front office led by General Manager John Dorsey."  Sound like Kubiak? I don't think so...   

Kubiak? Strong personality? Wasn't an issue in HOU... more the opposite.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:50 PM, LeftEdge said:

Oh, Lordy...

Of even more interest, however, was the conflicting point on the Vike's not wanting him back vs. his claim that it was his decision.

We have enough of that shit in our daily lives already.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:01 AM, hoorta said:

& we've all seen how that works out- you have one all-world corner. Who's he covering? Throw it the other way.

So now they need a Minniefield... it's happened before.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I'm still kind of stunned OL Coach Bob Wylie was fired here in a place where the continuity of progress should be extremely important. Near the end of the season I read an artcile full of Joel Bitonio's warm and fuzzy about the guy on the team's website.  He spoke about the job he did getting the line to gel and being the first line coach to tap Robinson's talent that reminded teammates why he was a 2nd pick overall.  I also thought our other OT (Hubbard) who struggled earlier in the year improved quite a bit in the 2nd part of the year.  I think the offensive line climbed up to an elite rating at the end of the year (which reflects well on Freddie as well as Wylie) IMO.

As much as I like Dorsey, I'm still reading and hearing Jimmy continues to prefer more Chiefs than Indians when it comes time to make a decision.

Agree... except I'm getting a different, bottom-line vibe...

Far from Dorsey being an "Indian", I get the feeling Dorsey is the one not wanting any over-sized personalities around the FO with whom he has to compete.

Further, I've had the feeling that his HC search was akin to Cheney's VP search for "W". That Dorsey's real conclusion was that he was the best choice... but recognized he was not a choice that was available to himself.

Just a couple feelings... but we all have to remember that there was a reason KC sent him packing...

... and it sure wasn't his lack of talent recognition.

• Thanks 1

Who's out & who's still in?(i think?:mellow:) And if anybody sees a wrong? Give us a shout out,thanks...OUT*--DC-Gregg & Blake Williams/Asst.DB coach-Jerod Kruse/Def. quality control-Eric Sanders/OL coach & Asst-Bob Wylie & Mark Hutson/QB coach-Ken Zampese/TE coach-Greg Seamon/ST coaches-Amos Jones & Josh Cribbs..STILL IN*-Sr.Off.Asst.-Al Saunders/Off.Quality control-Brian Braswell/DB's-Dewayne Walker/DL coach & asst.-Clyde Simmons & Ken Delgado/Def. quality control-Scott Kaniecki/WR coach-Adam Henry/RB coach-Ryan Lindley/Asst.ST-Sam Shade..Strength & cond. has a 5 member crew lead by Larry Jackson, but none yet to get booted, pending a new hire interview with a former QB from Oklahoma(name blank)..

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... except I'm getting a different, bottom-line vibe...

Far from Dorsey being an "Indian", I get the feeling Dorsey is the one not wanting any over-sized personalities around the FO with whom he has to compete.

Further, I've had the feeling that his HC search was akin to Cheney's VP search for "W". That Dorsey's real conclusion was that he was the best choice... but recognized he was not a choice that was available to himself.

Just a couple feelings... but we all have to remember that there was a reason KC sent him packing...

... and it sure wasn't his lack of talent recognition.

Interesting points!  Hopefully he has a lot more smarts than Cheney especially when it comes to the safety of those he hunts with...

What's an associate head coach ? :)

James Campen will become the Cleveland Browns associate head coach/offensive line coach, according to league sources. So the Packers are losing their longest-tenured assistant coach. New Packers coach Matt LaFleur will hire a new line coach. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41052811-4 

Just hired a former Bama guy

BREAKING: Sources indicate former Alabama Director of Player Personnel Jody Wright (@WrightJody) is headed to the NFL with Freddie Kitchens and the Cleveland Browns. This year Wright was OL coach/Assistant HC at UAB.

Wilks deal done

The #Browns are expected to hire former #AZCardinals head coach Steve Wilks as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. They are close on a deal and it should be done tomorrow. Big hire for new coach Freddie Kitchens.

• Thanks 1

Source: Former #Bucs OC Todd Monken is headed to Cleveland. He’s agreed to terms with the #Browns to be their offensive coordinator. Along with the coming hire of Steve Wilks as DC, that’s a high-powered staff.

RECAP

HC    KITCHENS

OC   MONKEN

DC  WILKS

RB  STUMP

QB  LINDLEY ( MOVED FROM RB )

O LINE  CAMPEN

WR ADAM HENRY    (UNCHANGED)

ST PRIEFER

JODY WRIGHT FORMER BAMA DIRECTOR OF PERSONNEL   ARRIVES BUT NOT SURE IN WHAT CAPACITY.

D line, linebackers and db coaches not mentioned as of yet

• Upvote 2

Jody Wright should get asst. OL job?.*****remaining DL & DB coach is Clyde Simmons & has asst. in Ken Delgano. DB is Dewayne Walker needing a Asst..those could change pending Wilks

49 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Source: Former #Bucs OC Todd Monken is headed to Cleveland. He’s agreed to terms with the #Browns to be their offensive coordinator. Along with the coming hire of Steve Wilks as DC, that’s a high-powered staff.

Does anybody think Freddie will call plays? Or just a traditional HC?