THE BROWNS BOARD

Freddie's Staff searches

Canton Mike

6 minutes ago, darren15 said:

OK Browns ....make your move NOW

Assistant shocker: Gary Kubiak will not be Denver’s offensive coordinator, league sources tell ESPN. After lengthy discussions, Denver and Kubiak had different ideas on staffing and offensive philosophies. Both sides going in different directions.

Too strong a personality. He wouldn't want to be running Kitchens offense...  

From Terry Pluto's article...   "And they wanted a coach who could work with a very strong front office led by General Manager John Dorsey."  Sound like Kubiak? I don't think so...   

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Too strong a personality. He wouldn't want to be running Kitchens offense...  

From Terry Pluto's article...   "And they wanted a coach who could work with a very strong front office led by General Manager John Dorsey."  Sound like Kubiak? I don't think so...   

Yeah your right ........ wrong fit

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

Wilkes is my choice for DC. Will have a chip on his shoulder after this year and determination to prove people wrong

Reading several pages on his schemes and philosophy now.   The one consistent is the amount of zone and pattern matching zone he plays.   With certain personnel he gets blitz happy and others not so much.   Appears to be pretty aggressive mostly running 1 gap assignments.  

On the fence about it because I see how badly the Cardinals fell off in defensive DVOA rankings after only one season.  But I also know that when you're offense puts your defense out on the field for 75% of the game, then they're bound to pack it up eventually.  

Still reading and versing myself.  Will comment more later. 

Wilks record as DC in his one season in Carolina

- 7th-ranked defense, 317.1 yards per game

- 18th-ranked pass defense, 229.1 yards per game

- 3rd-ranked run defense, 88.1 yard per game

- 50 sacks

- 21 turnovers

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Meh.  I"m 50/50 but will remain cautiously optimistic.    I'll have to make a few camp dates this year now. 

Well, If you look at the stats Williams D put up, I doubt Wilks could do much worse...   Though going from press man to zone is a lot different...  What was the talent level of Arizona's defense though? I'd have to look up the before\ after.

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Well, If you look at the stats Williams D put up, I doubt Wilks could do much worse...   

One season as the Panthers D-coord isn't a huge sample size.  And as I said earlier, the Cardinals DVOA drop off is a bit whacky.     If our defense ends up being right around the same as the 2017 Panthers (they gave up 30+ points only 3 times during the season and at most 34) then I'll be completely fine with that.    I just want to make sure we engineer a good turnover rate and giving a young offense as many chances to succeed as possible. 

• Upvote 1

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns are working on a deal to hire ex-Cardinals coach Steve Wilks as their defensive coordinator.

Wilks had a failed one-year stint in Arizona, but this is a strong addition to Freddie Kitchens's staff. It's not a terrible fallback for Wilks, who should have a head coach of the defense role. The Browns will keep their 4-3 system under Wilks, but his zone schemes should improve a Cleveland seconday that allowed the eighth-most yards in the league in 2018.

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That damn post was too fucking big to see.🧐😁

Wife says that to me all the time but unfortunately she is talking about my belly .....

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Reading several pages on his schemes and philosophy now.   The one consistent is the amount of zone and pattern matching zone he plays.   With certain personnel he gets blitz happy and others not so much.   Appears to be pretty aggressive mostly running 1 gap assignments.  

On the fence about it because I see how badly the Cardinals fell off in defensive DVOA rankings after only one season.  But I also know that when you're offense puts your defense out on the field for 75% of the game, then they're bound to pack it up eventually.  

Still reading and versing myself.  Will comment more later. 

When you play 1 gap up front - you better have good LBers.  Wilks had that in Carolina and his defense was successful.  

What I like about zone coverage (aside from DBs not turning their backs on the QB) - is it doesn't give opposing offenses the Ray Hortonesque Ghost towns to exploit.  That knucklehead used to repeatedly leave an entire third of the field unmanned. So, what do you need to make zone coverage work?   LBs and DBs that can close and tackle.  Keuchly not only has elite 1st step instinct; but he's also well respected for his level of preparation.   It seems like quite a few of his opponents said something along the line of "that guy knew every play we were about to run; and he was never wrong."  

It wouldn't suck at all if we hired Wilks. No matter who we hire - we have to improve the LBer Corps, upgrade 1 starting DT and 1 starting DE as well as add depth/talent to the secondary.  That said, we have the FA cake and draft volume to make it happen.

• Like 1

Zona D outside of Patrick Peterson wasn't much - they lost calais campbell, they lost their rover DB Mathieu.  They're so bad they just hired the useless Denver Vance Joseph to be their DC..  They had barely above-average seasons from DB Budda Baker / LB haason reddick / DL chandler jones.

As well, don't look now but someone named Pierre Desir was the 15th rated CB [ahead of Lattimore, Slay and others] in the entire league this season with Indy.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Zona D outside of Patrick Peterson wasn't much - they lost calais campbell, they lost their rover DB Mathieu.  They're so bad they just hired the useless Denver Vance Joseph to be their DC..  They had barely above-average seasons from DB Budda Baker / LB haason reddick / DL chandler jones.

As well, don't look now but someone named Pierre Desir was the 15th rated CB [ahead of Lattimore, Slay and others] in the entire league this season with Indy.

& we've all seen how that works out- you have one all-world corner. Who's he covering? Throw it the other way.

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

When you play 1 gap up front - you better have good LBers.  Wilks had that in Carolina and his defense was successful.  

What I like about zone coverage (aside from DBs not turning their backs on the QB) - is it doesn't give opposing offenses the Ray Hortonesque Ghost towns to exploit.  That knucklehead used to repeatedly leave an entire third of the field unmanned. So, what do you need to make zone coverage work?   LBs and DBs that can close and tackle.  Keuchly not only has elite 1st step instinct; but he's also well respected for his level of preparation.   It seems like quite a few of his opponents said something along the line of "that guy knew every play we were about to run; and he was never wrong."  

It wouldn't suck at all if we hired Wilks. No matter who we hire - we have to improve the LBer Corps, upgrade 1 starting DT and 1 starting DE as well as add depth/talent to the secondary.  That said, we have the FA cake and draft volume to make it happen.

Maybe he will be able to convince Dorsey to find a way to get White out of LSU. He has  greatness written all over him as an ILB with sideline to sideline speed and toughness to fill the inside gaps.

12 hours ago, LeftEdge said:

He said nuke the gays? Now that’s funny! So much for the pc fan base. But that can change. Who needs a heterophobic football coach anyhow.  ....lol

Born in Cleveland 1966

12 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

One season as the Panthers D-coord isn't a huge sample size.  And as I said earlier, the Cardinals DVOA drop off is a bit whacky.     If our defense ends up being right around the same as the 2017 Panthers (they gave up 30+ points only 3 times during the season and at most 34) then I'll be completely fine with that.    I just want to make sure we engineer a good turnover rate and giving a young offense as many chances to succeed as possible. 

From what I have read, the Cards had been running a 3-4 and had their roster geared for that prior to Wilks showing up. It could have been a growing pains year transitioning to a new defense without the required talent. We shall see.

22 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

From what I have read, the Cards had been running a 3-4 and had their roster geared for that prior to Wilks showing up. It could have been a growing pains year transitioning to a new defense without the required talent. We shall see.

I sure as shit don't want to see somebody shuffling the deck for a 3/4 right now. I don't want to shit can players that play well in a 4/4 while the rest of everybody has to learn completely new terminology. I would like to slow down the run but that 3/4 hasn't been a Panacea for that in the past here. 

WSS

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

I sure as shit don't want to see somebody shuffling the deck for a 3/4 right now. I don't want to shit can players that play well in a 4/4 while the rest of everybody has to learn completely new terminology. I would like to slow down the run but that 3/4 hasn't been a Panacea for that in the past here. 

WSS

Wilks runs a 4-3 so we are square. My fear was Pagano coming in and trying to run a 3-4.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Soju said:

This Wilks guy rubbed players the wrong way in Ariz., stubborn, and the defensive Hue Jackson type.  HATE this pick.

Yeah totally sounds like they hated him....

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/12/31/arizona-cardinals-steve-wilks-fired-players-reactions/2449934002/

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Flugel said:

In order.

- Doesn't really matter the front, any defense calls for good players and most especially linebackers.

- Some of the pattern matching that Wilks seems to run is Horton-esque

- Agree on all points

edit:  Not directly at you specifically Flugs, this is in general.  

Trying to get a better handle on Wilks and his coverages.   Doesn't show much but I've seen some trends.

A wide blend of calls ranging from your typical tampa 2,  inverted cover 2, quarters with man under etc etc.   The other common thing you'll routinely see are the 5 man pressures and some 33 looks.    Saw Luke roll around quite a bit in a swap cover 3 shell even.      A really interesting blend of pattern matching zones.       The biggest take away I have is this - Wilks was spoiled by having Keuchly.   Schob is a hell of a guy to have in coverage as well, but he isn't quite Luke.  Can he be the 2.0 lite version?  I believe so.   But the Thomas Davis compliment isn't there on our end.   I think having Wilks on board with this coaching staff puts an added priority on LB in the draft.     (Devin White, come on down)

• Upvote 3