THE BROWNS BOARD

GREG WILLIAMS OUT

darren15

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im disappointed gw didnt work out. I was positive that if they just built on last years scheme that we had an amazeballs defense. I thought the defense we had in the philly preseason game was what we would run with the rest of the season. If some of the weird scheme stuff he did during the year was a result of roster moves he didnt want but was overruled, than i worry we might have another walrus shuffling around berea. Shame. I really thought with a healthy myles and ward added to last years defebse, among some other tweaks.... that we would have had a top 10 D. 

2 former defensive coaches that come to my mind that are out of the league, but would less'en the load on freddie would be Jack Del Rio or John Fox...Both were good enough at it, they both landed head coaching jobs..del rio is 55 & i think fits the attitude of the new browns.Steve Wilks was a good players coach at Carolina also..High Respect Gregg Williams! You took the worst tackling team I've ever seen & got them much Better..When Hue & Haley threw knives in the players backs..GW was their to pull them out & fight back..Thanks Gregg & good luck!  

I like GW. The guys responded to him. Hope Kitchens can be tough enough to get these millionaires to pay attention. We'll see, can't wait.

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

Am sure GW won’t be short of job offers as a DC albeit a few less than the HC offers he used to get before even interviewing 😜

bounty hunter will probably latch on somewhere as a DC(i say probably, it's not a sure thing) but this idea that he's going to be able to go wherever he wants as DC is ludicrous.  There is a large % of the nfl that simply doesnt want to be associated with him at all.   be it DC, linebackers coach, or even concession stand worker.  

Im thinking he gets another job, but its not a lock.

2 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Bounty Hunter has nothing to worry about...the question is what current head coach will get fired(could be one of 11) so that he will step into one of those hc jobs that was begging for him....

https://deadspin.com/gregg-williams-is-now-free-to-talk-to-all-of-those-nfl-1831612222

Someone said it 1\2 jokingly- but now it's not out of the realm of possibility. Williams as HC of the Bengals....  

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

Im disappointed gw didnt work out. I was positive that if they just built on last years scheme that we had an amazeballs defense. I thought the defense we had in the philly preseason game was what we would run with the rest of the season. If some of the weird scheme stuff he did during the year was a result of roster moves he didnt want but was overruled, than i worry we might have another walrus shuffling around berea. Shame. I really thought with a healthy myles and ward added to last years defebse, among some other tweaks.... that we would have had a top 10 D. 

As I see it... Keeping Williams as HC, and Freddie as OC meant. If Mayfield blows up this coming season, Freddie would have been for sure gone to another team as HC.  Dorsey may have figured it would be easier to replace Williams than Kitchens....

Was he promoted a year too early? Maybe. But Dorsey didn't want to risk losing him. And regarding JD- he hasn't made too many mistakes so far, let's see how this turns out. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Someone said it 1\2 jokingly- but now it's not out of the realm of possibility. Williams as HC of the Bengals....   

I've said it twice, and I wasn't even  1/8 joking. 

Or as my dumbfuck boss has said multiple times, "2/16ths" joking.

I like GW but not as the guy I think could bring a title to CLE. I think his success is a product of the players having a chip on the shoulder from the past 2 seasons and Hue being gone. I don't think he can motivate these guys the same next season when all their opponents next season will take them seriously. His HC record is suspect. I hate him blitzing so much and that timeout he called at the end of the DEN game really raised some red flags. Talent can only carry you so far. I'm hoping Kitchens can be that guy. Young, fresh, innovative. Gregg seems stuck in his ways.

I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here.

First, our defense has been ranked as close as possible to the bottom of the league in most defensive yardage allowed categories, all year long.   -  Last year we played defense with basically 10 players and Peppers playing goalie on the other side of the field.  That just didn't seem brilliant, but maybe it was.  We can't go back and try it another way to find out.  Perhaps it's best that we're going with a new DC.  (and with the hire of Kitchens, we pretty much HAD to let Gregg go).

Other side of mouth:  Williams' defense was aggressive and ball hawking...WITHOUT being undisciplined.  The Ghoul predicted players running around like crazed dogs (to borrow an old term) blowing assignments and getting penalties.  That wasn't so.

And Gregg took over the team at a point where the team was losing games and lost their HC & OC...and what he did was to bring stability to the ship.  There was no more throwing people under the bus.   Press conferences were cohesive and more professional.  

I join Nickers, and others, who have said Thank You to Gregg Williams!  I wish him well.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

As I see it... Keeping Williams as HC, and Freddie as OC meant. If Mayfield blows up this coming season, Freddie would have been for sure gone to another team as HC.  Dorsey may have figured it would be easier to replace Williams than Kitchens....

Was he promoted a year too early? Maybe. But Dorsey didn't want to risk losing him. And regarding JD- he hasn't made too many mistakes so far, let's see how this turns out. 

Even sicker would be to see him and Hue in Cincitucky together.... All the same... I appreciated what Williams did here..

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

I’ve seen it reported that GW just might end up in cinciity. He certainly did right by us and I wish him well but please not there. Hard to be too upset with the guy that helped orchestrate the biggest turnaround in club history. 

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Have to give him a promotion, and a lot of $$$ to leave Indy....   

EDIT: DC to DC is a lateral move, and if I'm not mistaken, the Colts could block it...  Assuming he's still got time left on his contract....  

For the record, we have this discussion every year, any position that isn't the head coach position is considered a lateral move.  You can be the flunky donut runner and not be given permission to be a coordinator.

16 hours ago, gumby73 said:

2 former defensive coaches that come to my mind that are out of the league, but would less'en the load on freddie would be Jack Del Rio or John Fox...Both were good enough at it, they both landed head coaching jobs..del rio is 55 & i think fits the attitude of the new browns.Steve Wilks was a good players coach at Carolina also..High Respect Gregg Williams! You took the worst tackling team I've ever seen & got them much Better..When Hue & Haley threw knives in the players backs..GW was their to pull them out & fight back..Thanks Gregg & good luck!  

Well...I mentioned Wilks.   And Del Rio could be a name to consider.   Fox is decrepit...but who knows....LeBeau was still a DC at like 75+

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

For the record, we have this discussion every year, any position that isn't the head coach position is considered a lateral move.  You can be the flunky donut runner and not be given permission to be a coordinator.

Are you sure about that?  I thought that if you were a position coach...and were being considered for a coordinator job that you could be interviewed/hired elsewhere. 

But you are saying that if, say, a linebacker coach is under contract, that he cannot interview for a DC position (unless his current team gives permission)?

Here's one concern. Hue Jackson was a player's coach and it seems like they slacked off on him. Gregg Williams was a bit more of a Taskmaster who put up with less shit and they did respond. I fear that Freddy might be another player's coach. I really hope somebody keeps the heat on. You noticed the drop-off and stupid penalties when Williams took over right?  

WSS

hit on this rolling through some hard knocks videos this morning 

Much respect to a guy that stays 'real' in his own business.. I'll miss more from what the guy has inside that comes out than how his players performed..      

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Here's one concern. Hue Jackson was a player's coach and it seems like they slacked off on him. Gregg Williams was a bit more of a Taskmaster who put up with less shit and they did respond. I fear that Freddy might be another player's coach. I really hope somebody keeps the heat on. You noticed the drop-off and stupid penalties when Williams took over right?  

WSS

It's a vicious cycle. Players complain that they want a coach that will treat them like men, and when they get that coach, the players immediately begin acting like immature boys. A guy like Gregg Williams was exactly what the Browns needed. Granted, the tough love schtick usually wears thin with the players after 2 or 3 years but it was definitely what this team needed at the time.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:24 PM, Orion said:

I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here.

First, our defense has been ranked as close as possible to the bottom of the league in most defensive yardage allowed categories, all year long.   -  Last year we played defense with basically 10 players and Peppers playing goalie on the other side of the field.  That just didn't seem brilliant, but maybe it was.  We can't go back and try it another way to find out.  Perhaps it's best that we're going with a new DC.  (and with the hire of Kitchens, we pretty much HAD to let Gregg go).

Other side of mouth:  Williams' defense was aggressive and ball hawking...WITHOUT being undisciplined.  The Ghoul predicted players running around like crazed dogs (to borrow an old term) blowing assignments and getting penalties.  That wasn't so.

And Gregg took over the team at a point where the team was losing games and lost their HC & OC...and what he did was to bring stability to the ship.  There was no more throwing people under the bus.   Press conferences were cohesive and more professional.  

I join Nickers, and others, who have said Thank You to Gregg Williams!  I wish him well.

U sure about that disciplined part? I havent looked up a stat so this is smell test assessment, on both sides of the ball tbh....the browns got alot of flags this year. I mean a couple games i went to.u looked down for a sec to taje a sip of beer and u looked up in time to see a little yellow fucker floating back down onto the field.

I got beside myself at a couple games, like sputtering at the refs "u throw thst flag one more fucking time asshole im gonna find out where u kids go to school".

10 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

U sure about that disciplined part? I havent looked up a stat so this is smell test assessment, on both sides of the ball tbh....the browns got alot of flags this year. I mean a couple games i went to.u looked down for a sec to taje a sip of beer and u looked up in time to see a little yellow fucker floating back down onto the field.

I got beside myself at a couple games, like sputtering at the refs "u throw thst flag one more fucking time asshole im gonna find out where u kids go to school".

I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

44 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

From what I remember, that was the case for the first couple games, but then it seemed like they reverted back with time. 

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

With HueJax-- per game/11-4-5-8-10-6-14-7..we were in top 3...Post Huejax after Pitt.--per game/4-7-7-6-7-6-6-4...we finished ranked #15 in total penalties committed.. 

Archived