THE BROWNS BOARD

KITCHENS NEW HEAD COACH

darren15

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

So now it's disagree politely and get a week off? Jesus...

Tour, it's one thing to disagree politely. But to disagree from a POV that's totally outlandish is another. Yeah, we don't have a crystal ball to predict the 2019 season- but to say you like every other 1st round QB- and maybe even a third stringer like Mason Rudolph better than Mayfield is living in a  fantasy world, and you know it. 

I saw it as borderline flamebaiting, and apparently the rest of the guys agreed. Zombo's kicked folks like that off after a post or two. Oh, and he really digs Collin Cowherd? Well, it takes all kinds but

I see very little difference in what he's posting between that and the departed Ghoolie's spew "Art Modell is a great Man" & "the Ravens are the real Browns." Just to piss people off- to get a response.  It may not be intentional, and he may really believe that- but if he does he needs serious psychiatric help. And sorry it's so freaking dumb it is pissing people off.   

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So now it's disagree politely and get a week off? Jesus...

Ditto-ish...

I'm happy for Kitch and think he has promise based upon his seeking input from the entire Offense when he took over as OC, but...

... there are a lot of questions to be answered about his ability to run an org.

That said.... His comment on being ready to be HC is a promising one. Equal parts humility and self-awareness...

First test will be the quality of the staff he can attract and assemble and what his playcalling approach will be on Sundays. Word is that Jim Bob Cooter may be the new OC and that says he is willing to hand the duty over to the right OC.

Another positive...

I dont believe therws any chance he hands over calling plays. Hell i want him calling them. 

37 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Must be a secret. They’ve never officially announced a thing. Maybe waiting to have the staff in place? Whatever but it’s damn sure NOT the way Haslam has done things. It’s Dorsey’s show

I'm guessing they have to polish ol' Freddie up a bit.. Freddie ain't yer Cookie Cutter coach !!

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

I'm guessing they have to polish ol' Freddie up a bit.. Freddie ain't yer Cookie Cutter coach !!

I just may have to listen to the little thumb sucking national gals and hear what they have to cry about. National media is about the same as brown acid at Woodstock. A bad trip....lol

15 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I just may have to listen to the little thumb sucking national gals and hear what they have to cry about. National media is about the same as brown acid at Woodstock. A bad trip....lol

That and buy one one get one sale at Men's Warehouse always helps.. LOL..

Freddie drives team down the field for 1996 Iron Bowl Championship. They went on to lose to Florida in the SEC Championship, but then Freddie and the boys beat Michigan in the Outback Bowl in Gene Stallings last game at Bama.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:13 AM, BobPOUND! said:

I am nervous and incredibly happy all at the same time. This was my pick yet again. Like the Baker Mayfield pick,

The dude was a Running back coach just months ago. Now he is an elite level NFL Coach, who is going to have to steer the ship and do thousand other things all while trying to maintain this relationship with his franchise QB and other top players.. It's going to be a tough row to hoe.... So I don't think anything that Cowherd said was out of bounds or even dickish.. And I think he is spot on, concerning how arrogant Browns fans are getting coming out of this season... We finished THIRD in the division. We didn't get a winning season even.... So let's check our arrogance at the door 

BobPound!

Just an RBs coach?

Prior to the NFL, Kitchens spent seven years coaching on the college level with stops at Mississippi State (2004-05), North Texas (2001-03), Louisiana State (2000) and Glenville State (1999)

Kitchens began his NFL coaching career in 2006 as the tight ends coach with the Dallas Cowboys. In 2006, Kitchens worked with Jason Witten who was selected to the Pro Bowl.  

He spent 2017 as running backs coach. He was also quarterbacks coach for four years (2013-16) and tight ends coach for six seasons (2007-12).

he also helped Carson Palmer break team passing records including passing yards (4,671), touchdown passes (35) and passer rating (104.6). Palmer also became the only player in Cardinals history to throw for 4,000 yards in multiple seasons (2013, 2015-16). In 2015, the Cardinals had the top-ranked offense in the NFL for the first time in team history and set numerous single-season team records including points (489), touchdowns (59), touchdown passes (35), total net yards (6,533) and first downs (373).

21 hours ago, D Bone said:

I've said multiple times before that I hoped the Browns would hire the right guy, and simply not the most well known guy...... Well, part 2 done  < I see you there McCarthy and Arians >  and now it's up to Freddie to prove he is part 1.

I can't wait to see the coaches he surrounds himself with. 

I really didn’t want another NFL retread, ya know?  Although I would’ve been completely fine with Arians and Kitchens as the OC, from what I hear it’s unlikely we would have been ABLE to keep Kitchens as a coordinator, as other NFL teams would’ve likely interviewed him for head coaching opportunities.  NFL teams are transitioning from hiring coaching retreads to finding the next “young offensive mind”.  I want to say that virtually all of the hirings so far have been largely offensive guys, and I don’t see that trend changing any time soon. 

People might remember the trick plays that Freddie implemented because some of them worked very well and they were splattered all over the highlight networks, but the only stat you really need to know about Freddie’s offense is that the Browns lead the league with the fewest number of QB hits allowed during the last 8 games, and it wasn’t even CLOSE.  I’m not talking about sacks, I’m talking about just getting “hit”.  Many of you already know this stat because it’s been posted in other threads, but during the last 8 games of the season, Baker Mayfield was only hit 9 times.  The next closest team on the list surrendered 29 hits.  Think about that disparity for a moment. 

Now obviously Freddie Kitchens isn’t the ONLY factor in this mind-blowing statistic, but when he was given OC duties, he inherited the exact same players that Todd Haley had.  We remember the “trick plays” and the unusual formations, but does everyone remember the variations of max-protect Kitchens used?  I have never seen an OC use more varieties of max-protect, and then have the confidence to send out only two WR’s.  If you want an example, take a look at the first play against Carolina.  I think we sent out Landry and Perriman deep and basically kept most everyone else in to block.  Baker had a GIANT pocket, and Perriman beat his man deep.

Freddie took a look at what Baker did well, and he leaned on that instead of trying to force the kid out of his comfort zone.  To me, that’s what a good coach does, and he evaluates the talent at his disposal, and puts them into position to win.  Even the last drive of our season against Baltimore, Kitchens put us in position to win.  Heck, we COULD’VE won the game if we had a kicker that could hit from 56 yards, but on those last four plays, we had the look we wanted on three of them, and Baker just simply didn’t make the plays.  Baker underthrew the first pass to Njoku by about a foot, and the defender blindly knocked it down.  Baker almost always makes that throw to Njoku, he just came up a bit short.  Then he had Landry open on the out pattern, but he left it inside by about two feet, and that was the throw that Baker said will haunt him for a long time.  Again, it’s a throw we’re totally used to him making.  The one that is likely still making him vomit is the 3rd down play (I think).  Baker knew the pressure was coming and basically had to choose one side of the field to look at, and he chose the wrong side.  Had he looked left, he could’ve hit Duke Johnson for a probable touchdown, and a 30 yard gain at minimum.  Weddle blitzed HARD and timed the snap count perfectly.  He thought Duke was blocking, but Duke slipped out as a receiver.  Weddle knew he was beat and GRABBED Duke Johnson, but Duke ripped free and was so wide open that it’s still hard to watch.  To be honest, I really don’t know how the refs didn’t call the holding penalty.  I’m guessing it’s because Baker wasn’t even looking, but they called a similar penalty against us (Peppers) on a 3rd down when Lamar threw to someone else.  Seriously, go back and watch it.  I’m not exaggerating. 

I’m excited to have a first time NFL coach, and I’m further excited that my young QB doesn’t have to learn a new system or new language.  Instead of trying to learn all the new jargon and concepts, Baker can now work to MASTER what he already knows.  That’s such a huge advantage, and you already know Baker is going to have his receivers meeting up with him in the offseason so they can get some work in together.  I thought Njoku kind of had an up and down season, but he rectified the issue he had with drops, and he finished very strong.  He’s also like 22 years old (if that).  I’d be surprised if he didn’t take a giant leap next year in both yards and touchdowns.  In just one year Njoku’s blocking increased dramatically, and he might turn into a dominant force for us. 

The final thing about Kitchens that made me think we HAD to keep him was the red zone production.  Depending on what metric used, the Browns finished in the top five in red zone scoring, and that’s just incredible when you think about having a rookie QB.  Obviously Baker deserves a BUNCH of this credit, but Kitchens has to share in this because he just seemed to have a feel for what to do.  Do I even need to tell you guys to look at our red zone offense last year?  Yeesh. 

It's time to be excited, boys.  Heck, it’s PAST time to be excited.  I’m not saying we’re going to the freaking Super Bowl or anything like that, but it’s safe to say that we’re actually going to challenge for the AFC North, and that’s the first time in a LONG time I could say THAT. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I really didn’t want another NFL retread, ya know?  Although I would’ve been completely fine with Arians and Kitchens as the OC, from what I hear it’s unlikely we would have been ABLE to keep Kitchens as a coordinator, as other NFL teams would’ve likely interviewed him for head coaching opportunities.  NFL teams are transitioning from hiring coaching retreads to finding the next “young offensive mind”.  I want to say that virtually all of the hirings so far have been largely offensive guys, and I don’t see that trend changing any time soon. 

People might remember the trick plays that Freddie implemented because some of them worked very well and they were splattered all over the highlight networks, but the only stat you really need to know about Freddie’s offense is that the Browns lead the league with the fewest number of QB hits allowed during the last 8 games, and it wasn’t even CLOSE.  I’m not talking about sacks, I’m talking about just getting “hit”.  Many of you already know this stat because it’s been posted in other threads, but during the last 8 games of the season, Baker Mayfield was only hit 9 times.  The next closest team on the list surrendered 29 hits.  Think about that disparity for a moment. 

Now obviously Freddie Kitchens isn’t the ONLY factor in this mind-blowing statistic, but when he was given OC duties, he inherited the exact same players that Todd Haley had.  We remember the “trick plays” and the unusual formations, but does everyone remember the variations of max-protect Kitchens used?  I have never seen an OC use more varieties of max-protect, and then have the confidence to send out only two WR’s.  If you want an example, take a look at the first play against Carolina.  I think we sent out Landry and Perriman deep and basically kept most everyone else in to block.  Baker had a GIANT pocket, and Perriman beat his man deep.

Freddie took a look at what Baker did well, and he leaned on that instead of trying to force the kid out of his comfort zone.  To me, that’s what a good coach does, and he evaluates the talent at his disposal, and puts them into position to win.  Even the last drive of our season against Baltimore, Kitchens put us in position to win.  Heck, we COULD’VE won the game if we had a kicker that could hit from 56 yards, but on those last four plays, we had the look we wanted on three of them, and Baker just simply didn’t make the plays.  Baker underthrew the first pass to Njoku by about a foot, and the defender blindly knocked it down.  Baker almost always makes that throw to Njoku, he just came up a bit short.  Then he had Landry open on the out pattern, but he left it inside by about two feet, and that was the throw that Baker said will haunt him for a long time.  Again, it’s a throw we’re totally used to him making.  The one that is likely still making him vomit is the 3rd down play (I think).  Baker knew the pressure was coming and basically had to choose one side of the field to look at, and he chose the wrong side.  Had he looked left, he could’ve hit Duke Johnson for a probable touchdown, and a 30 yard gain at minimum.  Weddle blitzed HARD and timed the snap count perfectly.  He thought Duke was blocking, but Duke slipped out as a receiver.  Weddle knew he was beat and GRABBED Duke Johnson, but Duke ripped free and was so wide open that it’s still hard to watch.  To be honest, I really don’t know how the refs didn’t call the holding penalty.  I’m guessing it’s because Baker wasn’t even looking, but they called a similar penalty against us (Peppers) on a 3rd down when Lamar threw to someone else.  Seriously, go back and watch it.  I’m not exaggerating. 

I’m excited to have a first time NFL coach, and I’m further excited that my young QB doesn’t have to learn a new system or new language.  Instead of trying to learn all the new jargon and concepts, Baker can now work to MASTER what he already knows.  That’s such a huge advantage, and you already know Baker is going to have his receivers meeting up with him in the offseason so they can get some work in together.  I thought Njoku kind of had an up and down season, but he rectified the issue he had with drops, and he finished very strong.  He’s also like 22 years old (if that).  I’d be surprised if he didn’t take a giant leap next year in both yards and touchdowns.  In just one year Njoku’s blocking increased dramatically, and he might turn into a dominant force for us. 

The final thing about Kitchens that made me think we HAD to keep him was the red zone production.  Depending on what metric used, the Browns finished in the top five in red zone scoring, and that’s just incredible when you think about having a rookie QB.  Obviously Baker deserves a BUNCH of this credit, but Kitchens has to share in this because he just seemed to have a feel for what to do.  Do I even need to tell you guys to look at our red zone offense last year?  Yeesh. 

It's time to be excited, boys.  Heck, it’s PAST time to be excited.  I’m not saying we’re going to the freaking Super Bowl or anything like that, but it’s safe to say that we’re actually going to challenge for the AFC North, and that’s the first time in a LONG time I could say THAT. 

Well, Freddie's not the only one who's going max protect and sending out only two wrs. There was a Bucky Brooks article on NFL.com- Frank Reich is doing the same thing in Indy to keep Andrew Luck in one piece.

Just a FWIW guys...  https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Baker-Mayfield-Browns-head-coach-Kevin-Stefanski-Freddie-Kitchens-127644466/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190111_122124_Cleveland Browns&utm_content=Image&liveconnect=CA-1F-A7-07-02-43-35-CA-71-7D-7D-AF-89-03-3E-6C190111_122124ClevelandBrowns

I trust Dorsey's instincts way more than I do DePo's "analytics".  If it came down to Baker's choice I think & hope he made the right one. Freddie is a known quantity- the other guy- not so much. and his play calling with the Vikings was sort of underwhelming...  

At long last, after three days of work, the #Browns and Freddie Kitchens are close on a deal to solidify his hire as the next head coach, source said. While they’ve worked to hire coaches, their biggest hire hasn’t been announced, but it all should be done soon.

4 hours ago, darren15 said:

At long last, after three days of work, the #Browns and Freddie Kitchens are close on a deal to solidify his hire as the next head coach, source said. While they’ve worked to hire coaches, their biggest hire hasn’t been announced, but it all should be done soon.

If what I saw (courtesy of London) on @ Browns on Twitter was correct, Freddie signed his contract. Been hearing his agent is a Drew Rosenhaus type, that apparently was the hangup on the presser.

17 minutes ago, Orion said:

that didn't take long....

click here on browns sbnation twitter feed https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/9/18175307/browns-head-coach-freddie-kitchens-baker-mayfield "Let's Roll" good enough for we..Congrats Freddie his wife Ginger & his 2 daughters that love that Hoodie..

On 1/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, hoorta said:

Tour, it's one thing to disagree politely. But to disagree from a POV that's totally outlandish is another. Yeah, we don't have a crystal ball to predict the 2019 season- but to say you like every other 1st round QB- and maybe even a third stringer like Mason Rudolph better than Mayfield is living in a  fantasy world, and you know it.

Well... since I agreed with his take, where's my ban?

Archived