THE BROWNS BOARD

Kitchens

Zombo

23 minutes ago, Zombo said:

NFL Radio  Reporting that the Browns are most excited about Kitchens. He could be the guy. In other news Josh McDaniels is staying with New England.

Z

Well, if you look at his bio on Wiki, he's been coaching since 1999, and coaching in the pros since 2006.  Not like he doesn't have a fair amount of experience. & it's not unheard of to have a guy who was below the coordinator level to make the jump up to head coach...  

If it is Kitchens, any speculation on OC or DC? Does Williams stick around? Is he asked to stick around? Why wouldn't he want to stick around if offered?

Wanting as much continuity as possible, I am guessing that as HC Kitchens would have an OC, that calls plays, which was one of Kitchens' upsides during the last half of the season. Or does Kitchens call his own plays?

None of this is devil's advocate.

My understanding is that two finalists for the #Browns head coach job are Freddie Kitchens and Kevin Stefanski. At this point, those are the only two known finalists, so that may be it. @TomPelissero said Stefanski headed there now, Kitchens is still in the building.

4 minutes ago, darren15 said:

My understanding is that two finalists for the #Browns head coach job are Freddie Kitchens and Kevin Stefanski. At this point, those are the only two known finalists, so that may be it. @TomPelissero said Stefanski headed there now, Kitchens is still in the building.

My guess...Freddie gets the HC & Stefanski, INTERIM OC in Minnesota, (whose Vikings contract expires today & is NOT returning) will be OC & Asst HC.

Just an old man's mind (what's left of it) working.

Mike

4 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Kevin Stefanski who? Had to Google that one. Interim OC of the Vikings...   

2 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

My guess...Freddie gets the HC & Stefanski, INTERIM OC in Minnesota, (whose Vikings contract expires today & is NOT returning will be OC & Asst HC.

Mike

If that turns out ot be the case, does Williams stick around as DC? Would he accept being demoted? Interesting Gregg hasn't gotten any interest in other HC gigs, but he may be waiting to see what happens when the smoke clears in Berea.....  

3 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Williams is gone in my opinion as is the special teams coach ......

You can't get Amos Jones out of town fast enough. Josh Cribbs as ST coach? I could live with that.  :)  Williams I might miss....  

I honestly believe Gregg may stay. He is respected here, has a staff in place, a GM who will work to get him what he needs & a HC (assuming Freddie) who he knows he works well with.

Let's just see what happens.

Mike

2 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

You may be right... I don’t always agree with his logic, the deep safety thing was weird, overly aggressive, but a good coach nonetheless.

You may not have noticed, but Williams isn't the only defensive coordinator that's been playing single high safety a mile off the ball of late....  

12 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I honestly believe Gregg may stay. He is respected here, has a staff in place, a GM who will work to get him what he needs & a HC (assuming Freddie) who he knows he works well with.

Let's just see what happens.

Mike

Could be right. The worst part would be the uncomfortable conversation at the beginning.

You know that guy, who you used to be the boss of? Well he’s your boss now. How do you feel about that?

Kevin Stefanski, the guy has a serious resume.. https://www.vikings.com/team/coaches-roster/kevin-stefanski

Kevin Stefanski completed 2018 as the longest-tenured coach on the Vikings staff, going into his 13th season with the club. Stefanski has coached QBs, TEs and RBs in his dozen seasons with the team. Stefanski is in his 2nd season coaching the Vikings QBs after working with the RBs in 2016 and the TEs in 2014 and ‘15....”

18 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You may not have noticed, but Williams isn't the only defensive coordinator that's been playing single high safety a mile off the ball of late....  

It was asking a lot for a rookie like Peppers at the time, but maybe there was a reason for it. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

How can he be a finalist if they haven't even interviewed him?   Last I heard, he had not yet been interviewed.

He was interviewed last Thursday for HC spot ....now he is out of contract he can be interviewed for OC position ...his Vikings contract ended at midnight last night 

1 minute ago, darren15 said:

He was interviewed last Thursday for HC spot ....now he is out of contract he can be interviewed for OC position ...his Vikings contract ended at midnight last night 

Ah....OK...I must have been thinking of someone else.  The Italian guy perhaps.

1 hour ago, AP1 said:

If it is Kitchens, any speculation on OC or DC? Does Williams stick around? Is he asked to stick around? Why wouldn't he want to stick around if offered?

Wanting as much continuity as possible, I am guessing that as HC Kitchens would have an OC, that calls plays, which was one of Kitchens' upsides during the last half of the season. Or does Kitchens call his own plays?

None of this is devil's advocate.

Stefanski was an interim OC with the Vikings, so I would guess Freddie would call plays.

Mike

59 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

My guess...Freddie gets the HC & Stefanski, INTERIM OC in Minnesota, (whose Vikings contract expires today & is NOT returning) will be OC & Asst HC.

Mike

FWIW, it sure seems like the stars are aligning in that sort of pattern and it would be just fine with me. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stefanski was asked to interview for HC with the goal of surmising if he'd interested in taking this route if offered the position. The fact he's coming back to Cleveland leads me to believe this is exactly what the plan is.

Archived