THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Hall of Fame Finalists

The Gipper

18 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You mean my previous post?   All I did was cut and paste the names of the Linebackers that are in the HOF.    Do with that list what you will. 

Are you trying to say that Clay Matthews is the  Niekro of football?  Won 300 games and lost almost as many?

It does remind one that football, baseball and somewhat hoops and hockey are team sports and the sucess or lack of it do can somewhat affect individual recognition and rewards.  "Knucksie" was a tough pitcher on a few not so good teams he did have longevity though.

17 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

It does remind one that football, baseball and somewhat hoops and hockey are team sports and the sucess or lack of it do can somewhat affect individual recognition and rewards.  "Knucksie" was a tough pitcher on a few not so good teams he did have longevity though.

Well....I understand the concept of a "compiler"  not being considered for HOF recognition...at least not in football.  

There are like two guys that are way up there in career numbers:  attempts/completions/yards/ etc.   who are not being give HOF recognition:   Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe.    Each of whom, despite their gaudy career totals, was never considered to be anywhere near the Top QBs of their time. 

So, I suppose the same could be true for defenders as well.    But...Hoorta makes a point....if those guys, or Clay Matthews, and others, had played for a couple of Championship teams, they would get far more consideration.   (Bledsoe did geta ring with NE...after Brady took over and won it...so that does not count for him) 

Compilers?   At QB.   Guys that played a long time and racked up lots of stats but not to be considered among the best that played (HOF questionable)

Completions:

Carson Palmer 12th overall;  Bledsoe 13th; Testaverde 14th; Kerry Collins 18th.....and what about Matt Ryan...10th

Yards:

Ryan 12th; Palmer 13th; Vinny 14th; Bledsoe 15th; Collins 18th

TDs:   

Ryan  12th; Palmer 13th; Vinny 16th; Bledsoe 21st  Collins 38th.  

I guess the thing about Ryan is that he is still young....only 33 and likely to move up high on these lists.

But...who else could be a "compiler"?    What about Rivers?  Eli?(but 2 titles)  

Warren Moon...to me, was a compiler.  High on the above lists...never close to a championship (but...oh...yeaa...he is black).   Dave Kreig...very high up in a lot of categories.

I mean...is it fair to say that the ONLY difference between these guys and a few that are considered shoe ins is that perhaps those guys played on better teams?   Eli,   Ben R.  

If these guys had gotten as much as a single championship under their belt....would that have made a big difference in HOF consideration?

Archived