Ed Reed S Ravens, Texans, Jets 9 5 1
Richard Seymour DE Patriots, Raiders 7 3 1
Don Coryell Coach Cardinals, Chargers      
Tom Flores Coach Raiders, Seahawks      
Pat Bowlen* Owner Broncos      
Gil Brandt* GM Cowboys      
Johnny Robinson^ S D.Texans, Chiefs      
*Contributor Committee finalist ^Senior Committee finalist

Question:  why would Coryell be considered?   his teams never made a Super Bowl.  A couple of dozen other HCs had similar success that are not in...including Marty.

Marty had a better overall win %...and won a lot more total games.  (200 vs. 111) Coryell was only 3-6 in playoff games. 

Flores at least won 2 Super Bowl games (and being Hispanic helps his bid)

Blanton Collier had more career wins than Coryell...in several fewer years with a much better W/L pct....and won a title.

Mike Holmgren as well....more wins, better win pct.....and took 2 teams to SBs.

I know Coryell had some innovative offensive schemes...and played a wide open style...but I guess you still have to accomplish something.

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No Clay Matthews  again.

Because not enough All-Pro deals. I've said a bunch of times, if Clay had played for the Steelers, he'd have been in long ago. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No quarterbacks up this year which opens it up for others. And only one running back.

Yes others like Boselli,  Atwater or anyone on the list might slide in in a non-superstar class. Perfect year for Clay Matthews if he were there.

16 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Ed Reed and Tony Gonzales are locks.

Coryell as well IMO...

Hutchinson should be in already. The man was the gold standard at OG. This is his time.

Seymore is deserving as well. Might squeak in...

Well....if we were just going based on a combination of All Pro and Pro Bowl selections then the pecking order would be as follows:

Gonzales....20

Baily.....15

Faneca....15

Reed...14

Hutchinson...12

Lynch....11

Mawae....11

Atwater....10

Seymour...10

Boselli...8

Law....7

James...5

Bruce.....4.

And I would not be surprised or upset if the ones actually elected are the ones at the top of this list.

43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Coryell as well IMO...

again.. as I said before.....justify this over and above others whose career had overall better numbers

Hutchinson should be in already. The man was the gold standard at OG. This is his time.

Could, perhaps should be.

Seymore is deserving as well. Might squeak in...

And I do believe "squeak in" is right.

18 hours ago, Orion said:

Alan Faneca = 9 probowls

Alan Faneca should be disqualified for the fact he was part of the Steelers roster that was there when the Rooneys personal drug pimp Richard Rydze was having $250,000/month worth of HGH and Steroids sent from BALCO Labs to the Steelers team facility. No one from those years are deserving of the HOF. 

10 minutes ago, VikingDawg said:

Alan Faneca should be disqualified for the fact he was part of the Steelers roster that was there when the Rooneys personal drug pimp Richard Rydze was having $250,000/month worth of HGH and Steroids sent from BALCO Labs to the Steelers team facility. No one from those years are deserving of the HOF. 

He has been a finalist  4 times already without getting in.  So...maybe that HAS been a factor.

6 minutes ago, VikingDawg said:

He should even BE a finalist. Beside it obviously isn't a factor as other juicemonkeys like Hines Ward got in despite being roided to the gills and a dirtbag. 

Hines Ward is NOT in the HOF.  I believe he may have been a semi-finalist....but he is definitely not in.  Maybe exactly because he was considered such a dirtbag (dirty player)

The only Steelers who have made the HOF who played for them since the mid 90s are Dermonti Dawson and Jerome Bettis.

Others may make it: Pollymolly...and eventually BR.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Dixon 3 X Pro-bowl  2  X All-Pro 

Minnifield  4 X Pro-Bowl  1  All-Pro

Lynch 9 X Pro-bowl  2 X All-Pro

Atwater  8 X Pro-Bowl  2 X All-Pro

The difference seems to be in how many Pro-Bowls they were invited to. All-Pro pretty much the same.

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Dixon 3 X Pro-bowl  2  X All-Pro 

Minnifield  4 X Pro-Bowl  1  All-Pro

Lynch 9 X Pro-bowl  2 X All-Pro

Atwater  8 X Pro-Bowl  2 X All-Pro

The difference seems to be in how many Pro-Bowls they were invited to. All-Pro pretty much the same.

& as I mentioned, that's what's keeping Mathews out, only 4 Pro Bowls & second team all pro once. But taking into account he played for 19 seasons, that should count for something in the minds of the voters....  

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

& as I mentioned, that's what's keeping Mathews out, only 4 Pro Bowls & second team all pro once. But taking into account he played for 19 seasons, that should count for something in the minds of the voters....  

If Baker and Myles keep playing as well or better than they are now without major injuries, I can see HOF for both some day.

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

What's holding Matthews back is the fact that so many people think he's a "compiler". 

Basically, if he was a baseball player, they consider him to be a sub-.300 batting average guy who got 3000 hits because he played forever, not because he was putting up monster years. 

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What's holding Matthews back is the fact that so many people think he's a "compiler". 

Basically, if he was a baseball player, they consider him to be a sub-.300 batting average guy who got 3000 hits because he played forever, not because he was putting up monster years. 

But most of those guys never do much in postseason play.    Clay DID play in at least 3 AFC title games plus a number of other postseason games.

If you got rid of the "compilers"....then you would have to kick out half the players in the HOF.  Like say, at QB:  Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Sonny Jurgenson;  and any number of these LBs:

Chuck Bednarik (C-LB) 1949-1962
Bobby Bell (also DE) 1963-1974
Derrick Brooks 1995-2008
Nick Buoniconti 1962-1974, 1976
Dick Butkus 1965-1973
Harry Carson 1976-1988
George Connor (also DT, OT) 1948-1955
Chris Doleman (DE, LB) 1985-1999
Bill George 1952-1966
Kevin Greene (also DE) 1985-1999
Jack Ham 1971-1982
Chris Hanburger 1965-1978
Ted Hendricks 1969-1983
Sam Huff 1956-1967, 1969
Rickey Jackson LB (also DE) 1981-1995
Jack Lambert 1974-1984
Willie Lanier 1967-1977
Ray Nitschke 1958-1972
Les Richter 1954-1962
Dave Robinson 1963-1974
Joe Schmidt 1953-1965
Junior Seau 1990-2009
Mike Singletary 1981-1992
Lawrence Taylor 1981-1993
Derrick Thomas 1989-1999
Andre Tippett 1982-1993
Dave Wilcox 1964-1974

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You compiled a list of players who all played at minimum five less seasons than Matthews, Gip. 

You mean my previous post?   All I did was cut and paste the names of the Linebackers that are in the HOF.    Do with that list what you will. 

Are you trying to say that Clay Matthews is the  Niekro of football?  Won 300 games and lost almost as many?

Archived