THE BROWNS BOARD

Haskins Declares

The Gipper

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Here is an interesting proposition...that I just came up with:

Arizona uses their #1 overall pick in the draft to choose Duane Haskins....who they perhaps see as having far more future potential than Josh Rosen.

They trade Rosen for a 1st round pick to somebody willing and pick up another player that they can use badly.

Jags/Giants/Redskins......would any of them consider that sort of deal?

Depends if the Cardinals incoming coach sees Rosen as "the guy".  But his 67 qbr, 11\14 td\int ratio, & 10 fumbles (5 lost) isn't going to impress other teams. In his Josh's defense he got pounded for 45 sacks behind a swiss cheese O-line. So what's his trade value? Not outside of the realm of possibility if you want to speculate. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Depends if the Cardinals incoming coach sees Rosen as "the guy".  But his 67 qbr, 11\14 td\int ratio, & 10 fumbles (5 lost) isn't going to impress other teams. In his Josh's defense he got pounded for 45 sacks behind a swiss cheese O-line. So what's his trade value? Not outside of the realm of possibility if you want to speculate. 

Of course my proposal is just speculation.......

but..lets assume YOU were the Cardinals GM...and wanted to do this type of deal, what would you want in return?     He was the #10 overall pick last year.  I don't know if the Giants or Jags would want to trade their #s  6-7 overall pick for him......but if the Redskins liked him...they might give up their #15 for him. 

Would you?

Just now, SD_Tom said:

Lawrence looks badass

Yeah, and the kid's a 19 year old TRUE Freshman! He was impressive as hell & will be fun to follow in the future.

Mike

Here is a bit of "trivia".......that I heard earlier:    If Haskins is taken in the first round...and he will be.....he will be the first Big Ten QB taken in the first round since Kerry Collins was taken in 1995.

Now, that seems hard to believe, but it is apparently true....EVEN though all of the following are true since 1995:

A. The GOAT at QB.....Tom Brady  is from the Big Ten...Michigan (and if you don't buy him....the other GOAT candidate came from the Big Ten....Otto Graham...Northwestern......and if not him the other name   Joe Montana played in the heart of Big Ten country:  Notre Dame)

B. The all time passing yards leader in NFL history...Drew Brees is from the Big Ten..Purdue

C. The highest paid QB of all time....Kirk Cousins is from the Big Ten....Mich. State

D. Another potential future HOFer....Russell Wilson ...2 Time SB starter is from the Big Ten...Wisconsin

(and, if you think about it....several QBs from Big Ten states got away from Big Ten schools.....Ben R., Trubisky etc.

19 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Yeah, and the kid's a 19 year old TRUE Freshman! He was impressive as hell & will be fun to follow in the future.

Mike

I'm never one to be a flair for the dramatic, that's for sure. But if youngblood plays like that for two more years he's going to get the "trade the whole draft" evaluation to include teams speculating on taking a QB in 2020 to "wait" for Trevor. Of course one may recall that same conversation was had about Sam "the man" Darnold and that didn't quite pan out.

29 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

20 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

pp550x550.jpg?fit=550,419

I'm sorry. I was referring to Lawrence, the freshman QB from Clemson.

Mke

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

The Cardinals new coach is Kliff Klingsbury from Texas Tech and I guess briefly from USC.

8 minutes ago, Mark O said:

The Cardinals new coach is Kliff Klingsbury from Texas Tech and I guess briefly from USC.

He was the architect of like the typical  63-48 Big 12 score games.  

I consider that a very, very long reach......typical of the Cardinals organization, which except for a brief period around 2008, have not been relevent since the late 1940s.  

19 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Arizona Cardinals (3-13) -- have QB
San Francisco 49ers (4-12) -- have QB
New York Jets (4-12) -- have QB
Oakland Raiders (4-12) -- have QB
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-11) -- have QB
New York Giants (5-11)
Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)
Detroit Lions (6-10) -- have QB

This may be a reach but I believe Tom Coughlin is part of Jacksonville's front office. I wonder if Eli's connection to Coughlin could be a one or two year plan for Jacksonville, who thought they had the pieces for a run (especially after last season), while they can develop their next QB.

1 minute ago, AP1 said:

This may be a reach but I believe Tom Coughlin is part of Jacksonville's front office. I wonder if Eli's connection to Coughlin could be a one or two year plan for Jacksonville, who thought they had the pieces for a run (especially after last season), while they can develop their next QB.

Not a reach....it has been brought up a few times before here.

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He was the architect of like the typical  63-48 Big 12 score games.  

I consider that a very, very long reach......typical of the Cardinals organization, which except for a brief period around 2008, have not been relevent since the late 1940s.  

The guy who ran off Baker Mayfield for Davis Webb, and couldn't win with Pat Mahomes is now the Cardinals HC.

Of course my proposal is just speculation.......

but..lets assume YOU were the Cardinals GM...and wanted to do this type of deal, what would you want in return?     He was the #10 overall pick last year.  I don't know if the Giants or Jags would want to trade their #s  6-7 overall pick for him......but if the Redskins liked him...they might give up their #15 for him. 

Would you?

Not if I think Bosa is a Myles Garrett quality defender....  If I was the Cardinals GM, I'd want a Carson Wentz\ RG III haul to move down- FWIW, MHO is it's too early to bail on Rosen....  

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Not if I think Bosa is a Myles Garrett quality defender....  If I was the Cardinals GM, I'd want a Carson Wentz\ RG III haul to move down- FWIW, MHO is it's too early to bail on Rosen....  

Would it be bailing on Rosen....or simply acknowledging that Haskins has far more of an upside than he...and would be a better choice for my franchise. 

Of course, like you said....if they think that Rosen will be just fine for them and that Bosa is la creme de la creme and not to be missed out on...then they stick with Rosen and go for Bosa.   Now then....What about the 49ers?  Are they secure with Garropolo?  If so....would they entertain trade downs to pick up picks?

Hey Giants...or Jags....give me your first and your second rounder!........Would that do it for them?

Here is a bit of "trivia".......that I heard earlier:    If Haskins is taken in the first round...and he will be.....he will be the first Big Ten QB taken in the first round since Kerry Collins was taken in 1995.

Now, that seems hard to believe, but it is apparently true....EVEN though all of the following are true since 1995:

A. The GOAT at QB.....Tom Brady  is from the Big Ten...Michigan (and if you don't buy him....the other GOAT candidate came from the Big Ten....Otto Graham...Northwestern......and if not him the other name   Joe Montana played in the heart of Big Ten country:  Notre Dame)

B. The all time passing yards leader in NFL history...Drew Brees is from the Big Ten..Purdue

C. The highest paid QB of all time....Kirk Cousins is from the Big Ten....Mich. State

D. Another potential future HOFer....Russell Wilson ...2 Time SB starter is from the Big Ten...Wisconsin

(and, if you think about it....several QBs from Big Ten states got away from Big Ten schools.....Ben R., Trubisky etc.

Well to be fair, you have to also give ACC credit with Wilson. He was at Wisconsin for 1 year, NC State for more 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Would it be bailing on Rosen....or simply acknowledging that Haskins has far more of an upside than he...and would be a better choice for my franchise. 

Of course, like you said....if they think that Rosen will be just fine for them and that Bosa is la creme de la creme and not to be missed out on...then they stick with Rosen and go for Bosa.   Now then....What about the 49ers?  Are they secure with Garropolo?  If so....would they entertain trade downs to pick up picks?

Hey Giants...or Jags....give me your first and your second rounder!........Would that do it for them?

That would be far more likely Gip, if Bosa is off the board. Jimmy G is for sure the Niners QBOTF, if not the present. ACL, and he certainly showed enough before he got hurt that San Fran would be willing to deal for a bunch of picks...   

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

The guy who ran off Baker Mayfield for Davis Webb, and couldn't win with Pat Mahomes is now the Cardinals HC.

Pure Gold Mark O...I shook my head at work when I heard this & said.."Did I just hear what I thought I heard?" and that ^^^ exact flash, in that order ran through my head..We also travel to Zona next season.. Rosen should be a rattled mess by then. (where or what is Jim Mora doing now in Cali?)

16 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Pure Gold Mark O...I shook my head at work when I heard this & said.."Did I just hear what I thought I heard?" and that ^^^ exact flash, in that order ran through my head..We also travel to Zona next season.. Rosen should be a rattled mess by then. (where or what is Jim Mora doing now in Cali?)

I am hoping that the schedule makers put the Browns game at AZ in early December, like this past year with the Houston game.  I would seriously consider attending that game....and expect a more favorable outcome than vs. the DATs.

38 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He graduated from and was drafted from Wisconsin.

No question there. But to just use Wisconsin isnt telling the whole story

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

He graduated from and was drafted from Wisconsin.

He did graduate from nc state. Actually i don't believe he graduated from Wisconsin unless he got his second (masters) degree in just one year of school. He went the graduate transfer route after graduating from NC State in 2010.

18 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

He did graduate from nc state. Actually i don't believe he graduated from Wisconsin unless he got his second (masters) degree in just one year of school. He went the graduate transfer route after graduating from NC State in 2010.

He got his degree in "preparation to play in the NFL"  from Wisconsin.   Don't know if they give a diploma for that...but that is what happened;)

On 1/8/2019 at 10:08 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I bet you like Foles though. 🤩

Well he was my original dark horse coming out of Arizona... so there's that... ;)

TBH I'm a lil mystified by Nick's success. You just dust him off, set him on the field and he wins... at least that's been the story in Philly. He doesn't have Wentz's tools to be sure, but somehow he just wins.

As for Wentz... 2nd season in a row he's finished it on the shelf. One is an accident... two is a trend... If I have to fall back on that, so be it. :ph34r:

I remember the pre-draft Goff-Wentz debate. One main point by the Wentz folk were his size and durability... so much for that. Similar to 2018's Josh Allen (or Darnold) vs. Rosen (or Mayfield)... and again, it was the big QBs that missed time due to injury.

Funny game...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Haskins over Rosen???

Shirley, you jest...

And I know you like Rosen....  But Haskins is going to have the same questions raised about him that we saw with Trubisky, and we know how that turned out. 

The Cardinals currently have more holes in the roster than swiss cheese, so the only question is will they be willing to pass on a potential generational player (yeah that term seems to come up about every other year now)  in Bosa for a serious haul of draft picks.  For sure if Arizona takes Bosa, the 49ers phone will be ringing off the hook.... 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:22 PM, Comeonman said:

My money is on him being a Jaguar 

My money is on him being an NFL Flop!

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Who? Rosen....or Haskins?  Or someone else?

For sure Nickers meant Haskins, and I'm not so sure he's going to flop. I see lots of positive NFL traits in him, and if we didn't have Baker, I'd be very interested.

Archived