THE BROWNS BOARD

Jamie Collins

darren15

Set to earn $11.75m in 2019 ...... what do we do ....he led the team with 104 tackles and has played well this past season ..... trade or keep ..... 30 years of age so getting ready to slow down ..I wonder if we can restructure his contract if we do keep him, lots of teams doing that lately....decisions decisions

9 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Set to earn $11.75m in 2019 ...... what do we do ....he led the team with 104 tackles and has played well this past season ..... trade or keep ..... 30 years of age so getting ready to slow down ..I wonder if we can restructure his contract if we do keep him, lots of teams doing that lately....decisions decisions

I’m not a fan of his. Feed him to the gators for all I care. I’m not keen on part timers

Just now, Louisville Slugger said:

I would like to see what defense we run next season. I have always thought he would make a great 3-4 olb. He was a double digit sack DE in college. Money isn't really an issue so unless we find a clear cut improvement we should hold onto him

He takes plays off. Not a Dorsey guy. = goner

1 hour ago, darren15 said:

He had a good year. He's a good linebacker. Shouldn't be a problem paying him in 2019 ... but too difficult to speculate on the defense until we know the coaching staff. The scheme and type of players they want will determine everything. Outside of Ward and Garrett, we're not sure what they are going to ask from the other positions.

Zombo

10 minutes ago, Zombo said:

He had a good year. He's a good linebacker. Shouldn't be a problem paying him in 2019 ... but too difficult to speculate on the defense until we know the coaching staff. The scheme and type of players they want will determine everything. Outside of Ward and Garrett, we're not sure what they are going to ask from the other positions.

Zombo

I think if he’s on the roster next year he’ll be the backup. I really think we go younger and hungrier at LB. Plus he’s lollygagged on enough plays not to trust him

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/jamie-collins-12333/  <<your welcome hoorta;)..I vote..Restruction, or JD can pack up his $ tent. Schobert comes up in 2020/Collins 2021. The only trade deadline offer last season was from the Pats. Your not getting his draft trade worth dealing with the Pats. Jamie seemed more of a Hue guy than GW guy imo. That could have changed? but ya could end up with a lot worse than Collins..a trade for maybe Dee Ford would interest me   

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

Good is the key word in your statement. Good players shouldn't count almost $12 million against the cap, at least IMO. If he's down to restructure that's awesome but I'd have zero qualms cutting the cord. A group with Joe, Kirksey, Avery, insert FA and a top round pick would be just fine with me. 

I know we have a bunch of FA cash, but we also have a ton of guys to re-sign in 2020 and 2021. I don't know extremely strongly the iatrice details of the Browns long-term cap situation, but I'd much rather hoard some ducks knowing in 1-2 years we can comfortably re-sign Joe, Ward, Mayfield, etc.

7 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Good is the key word in your statement. Good players shouldn't count almost $12 million against the cap, at least IMO. If he's down to restructure that's awesome but I'd have zero qualms cutting the cord. A group with Joe, Kirksey, Avery, insert FA and a top round pick would be just fine with me. 

Isn’t he the only super bowl vet we have?

I was upset with his effort at times but Collins is a talented/experienced LB and we need those.

2 hours ago, darren15 said:

Oh dude, he's freaking out. Pluto reported that New England didn't feel he'd do well once receiving a large contract. That he wouldn't play hard after getting paid. I think there's some truth to that. Collins had games where he was everywhere, and others I didn't hear his name. There are other problems with him, too. For one, he was number 4 in the LEAGUE in missed tackles (according to PFF. Schobert was 1st. Yeesh). The other thing is missed big plays. Jamie Collins dropped two pick-6 interceptions, one was the easiest you've ever seen. I forget the exact games, but those were EXACTLY the plays our money was supposed to buy. Game-changing plays. We didn't get those. 

I'm not going to say much about Kirskey. He had injuries for the first time in his career. He wasn't playing well this year, but exiting Collins and Kirskey would be dumb. Ironically, we actually HAD the guy we needed. Michael Kendricks was going to be our physical enforcer, our punisher. Unfortunately he was the first player in NFL history to be caught and arrested for insider trading. Dorsey couldn't rebuild the worst team ever in 1 year, but he was pretty close. Still a few more holes, but I have faith he'll get them filled. 

Somebody made a good point the other day. If we had a top 5 kicker, we're probably 10-6. Not having a quality kicker changed how we played. Going for it when we wouldn't usually, missing game winners or game tying kicks. Crazy how one position hurt that much. Dorsey is a special teams guy. Played them for years. He WILL get this shit figured out. 

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

You make a great point as usual Zom, but I disagree. I think he's gone. Dorsey will watch ALL the tape, and if he really did take plays off, he's gone. Not the type he wants around. Like I said earlier, Collins had a chance to make some real game-changing plays, and he dropped both pick-6's. 

22 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

That he wouldn't play hard after getting paid. I think there's some truth to that. Collins had games where he was everywhere, and others I didn't hear his name. There are other problems with him, too. For one, he was number 4 in the LEAGUE in missed tackles (according to PFF. Schobert was 1st. Yeesh). The other thing is missed big plays. Jamie Collins dropped two pick-6 interceptions, one was the easiest you've ever seen. I forget the exact games, but those were EXACTLY the plays our money was supposed to buy. Game-changing plays. We didn't get those. 

Dorsey couldn't rebuild the worst team ever in 1 year, but he was pretty close. 

Somebody made a good point the other day. If we had a top 5 kicker, we're probably 10-6. Not having a quality kicker changed how we played. 

I can see through his “lack of” effort. He got traded to the F’n Browns guys. Let’s take off those Brownie/orange shades.

He was playing soft to avoid injury on a “bad” team. He played hard in the ATL game when the team started to figure out: “hey, we don’t suck”

one pick was the raiders game, he alligator armed a huge int(tough play) and the other he dropped a Driskell pick 6 at Cinci for sure. He doesn’t have great hands.

Dont get it confused, the roster was semi built with a #1 and #4 overall picks, Dorsey is a smart business man by coming to Cleveland to work his magic.

If we had a kicker(Greg Joseph has a future) we’d still have Hue.. so I’m ok with the end result....

1 minute ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I can see through his “lack of” effort. He got traded to the F’n Browns guys. Let’s take of those Brownie/orange shades.

He was playing soft to avoid injury on a “bad” team. He played hard in the ATL game when the team started to figure out: “hey, we don’t suck”

one pick was the raiders game, he alligator armed a huge int(tough play) and the other he dropped a Driskell pick 6 at Cinci for sure. He doesn’t have great hands.

Dont get it confused, the roster was semi built with a #1 and #4 overall picks, Dorsey is a smart business man by coming to Cleveland to work his magic.

If we had a kicker(Greg Joseph has a future) we’d still have Hue.. so I’m ok with the end result....

Ya know, I always forget that. Lol. Someone asked me the other day, which coach being fired made the bigger impact? Hue or Haley? The brilliance of Dorsey was to fire both obviously, but it was an interesting question. Anyway, you're right bro. A couple of plays one way or another, and because the bar was set so freaking low, we would have kept Hue if we won the Bucs and Saints games (in my crazy head anyway). It's funny how quickly things can change. Remember when DeFilipo was the up and coming hot coordinator? Yeah, now he's going to be the assistant fullback coach for Arizona Cardinals (kidding of course). And somehow WE have the current "hot and trendy coordinator" already on staff? Who knew!? 

I beleive now that hue was fired cause dorsey had a sit down with baker and they figured out that relationship wasnt getting mended. You guys rem that awjward "u dont flinch" post game lockerroom speech from hue? I smelled a weird vibe between the two then and it stuck with me. It was like hue was trying to come up wuth something diplomatic to say cause the locjerroom was prob aware of the bad relationship between the two. 

7 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

I beleive now that hue was fired cause dorsey had a sit down with baker and they figured out that relationship wasnt getting mended. You guys rem that awjward "u dont flinch" post game lockerroom speech from hue? I smelled a weird vibe between the two then and it stuck with me. It was like hue was trying to come up wuth something diplomatic to say cause the locjerroom was prob aware of the bad relationship between the two. 

It was obvious in the first two episodes of 'Hard Knocks' that Mayfield wanted nothing to do with Hue.  

Every player takes off" plays. Watch JJ today... when the play is a toss away or a quick pass away, those plays he knows he cannot impact, he jogs to cover cut backs. And he will not rush hard every pass play... some by design... some by situation. Of course in JJ's case all is forgiven given the number of impact plays his saved energy produce. In Jamie's case??? I can certainly recall some, but it's much more a matter of whether any cost has been associated with his choices to conserve energy.

Collins has two years left on his current contract... $11.75 this coming season and $13.75 in 2020. We have $85.9 and 58.3 in cap space respectively over those two years. So why restructure? Money is not an issue given Jamie's timing. But there are questions we should ask.

The first question we should ask concerns his availability.

2018 was Jamie's first full season of his career since his rookie season... and then he only started half the games for the Pats. He's come close a couple times since, but has always missed at least one game. And this full season follows his career low appearance in six games in 2017. Nevertheless he's only failed to crack 100 tackles twice in a season since he's been a starter... 2017 and 2014 when he missed four games.

The second question is, "Does he freelance too much?"

This is the reason he is in CLE. While we can likely all recall plays where we saw this (or the broadcast analyst pointed it out) this is really a question only Gregg can answer and given his accumulated weekly grade-outs both he and Dorsey already know the answer...

... and remember that freelancing is not necessarily a bad thing if it results in a play made that otherwise would not have been made.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

The second question is, "Does he freelance too much?"

This is the reason he is in CLE. While we can likely all recall plays where we saw this (or the broadcast analyst pointed it out) this is really a question only Gregg can answer and given his accumulated weekly grade-outs both he and Dorsey already know the answer...

... and remember that freelancing is not necessarily a bad thing if it results in a play made that otherwise would not have been made.

It is interesting that the whole “freelance” tag has followed him for several years and really stuck. Playing linebacker there is a lot of read and react situations. Do you continue towards the QB or tail the tight end who just released downfield? Stuff like that. So they all make a lot of split second instinctual decisions based on the play and who is supposed to be where and responsible for what.

So to me, “freelance” being used as a knock against him is just code for “makes wrong decisions.” But does he? At least more often than not? Or to some degree of unacceptableness? 

I don’t really have the acumen to say one way or another, but his stats and playing time indicate that he’s basically one of our main dudes on defense. You don’t just replace that willy nilly without a better plan going forward.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It was obvious in the first two episodes of 'Hard Knocks' that Mayfield wanted nothing to do with Hue.  

I think that scene where he is congratulating Baker for becoming the second team QB was the killer. You could see the wheels aturnin', "Second team!!?? WTF!!??" No real competitor wants the hear congrats for second team and Baker is the ultimate competitor.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think that scene where he is congratulating Baker for becoming the second team QB was the killer. You could see the wheels aturnin', "Second team!!?? WTF!!??" No real competitor wants the hear congrats for second team and Baker is the ultimate competitor.

agree, than rub some dirt on it by not getting a single preseason snap with the 1's. Clueless can shut his phone down the rest of the coach hirings ☎️

It's not just Collins unfortunately.. it's every LB.

Collins was #4 and Schobert was #1 in missed tackles - amongst the entire league's linebackers.  Schobert was only decent against the pass this year, his runstops were more of a drag-down 6 yards beyond LOS.  And kirksey was a non-effort non-factor right after he signed a big contract.

Trade who you can, reduce if they'll take a reduction --- else just cut 'em. Cut 'em all and let the Giants overpay for them.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Collins was #4 and Schobert was #1 in missed tackles - amongst the entire league's linebackers.  Schobert was only decent against the pass this year, his runstops were more of a drag-down 6 yards beyond LOS.  And kirksey was a non-effort non-factor right after he signed a big contract.

Trade who you can, reduce if they'll take a reduction --- else just cut 'em. Cut 'em all and let the Giants overpay for them.

Kirksey got hurt the Chiefs game, and didn’t play the last 6-7 games. He’s gonna be back next year and do some good things 

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Avery was great

38 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Avery was great

Yea, if you ignore his next-to-last rating against the pass.

2 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Kirksey got hurt the Chiefs game, and didn’t play the last 6-7 games. He’s gonna be back next year and do some good things 

And was below league average [46.1 on PFF] before he got hurt.  His season before was the aberration, not the rule.  His actual value is nowhere near the contract he was given.

Put away the rose-colored glasses and evaluate the reality of the players we have.  At no point do i not appreciate their dedication and sacrifice... they're just not good enough.

One long-term problem this organization has faced is actually drafting LB.. the last 3 LB's we drafted in the first round have all been busts [Craig Powell was the last 1st-round pick before we were Modelled, then Wimbley and Mingo]

13 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Yep and Pluto says we are going LB heavy in this draft/FA.

Archived