THE BROWNS BOARD

*SOURCE* Brian Flores will be our next HC

Adoug319

On 1/7/2019 at 8:13 PM, darren15 said:

Barring trades or any owners convincing powerful college coaches to make the jump, wouldnt be surprised to see Munchak in Denver, Flores in Miami, Arians in Tampa.

Someone better tell La Canfora that Flores is going to Cleveland according to sources :)

I would still...at this point, like to see Munchak get one of the other jobs, just to get him out of Pisstown.

What jobs are left open?    Dolphins?  Bengals?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, AP1 said:

Is it out of the realm of possibility to think that a Hall of Famer, like Munchak, who has been a Head Coach, to be a position coach?

If Freddie is going to call plays why not make Munchak OL Coach/OC?

Not sure if Munchak is under contract with Pittsshit.   If so, he would not be available apparently.

Per Ballpeen...and I am still not sure I buy this.....you cannot make a move from a position coach job (like OC coach, which Munchak is)  to a coordinator position (which we would want)   without the permission of the team he is with.  Only to HC can that be done.  And the Spermsuckers would certainly not give the Browns permission to interview Munchak for our OC if they could avoid it. 

So....we need a definitive answer on this "lateral move" rule.   Is or is not going from a position coach to a coordinator still just considered to be a lateral move?

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Not sure if Munchak is under contract with Pittsshit.   If so, he would not be available apparently.

Per Ballpeen...and I am still not sure I buy this.....you cannot make a move from a position coach job (like OC coach, which Munchak is)  to a coordinator position (which we would want)   without the permission of the team he is with.  Only to HC can that be done.  And the Spermsuckers would certainly not give the Browns permission to interview Munchak for our OC if they could avoid it. 

So....we need a definitive answer on this "lateral move" rule.   Is or is not going from a position coach to a coordinator still just considered to be a lateral move?

I don't know if it's "definitive" but it's all I could come up with...  

NFL rules regarding hiring assistant coaches to lateral moves

LATERAL OPPORTUNITIES

Assistant coach to Non Head Coach opportunities

Note: “promotions” to coordinator level are NOT promotions under this policy; a coach is either an Assistant Coach or a Head Coach, period.

Teams retain exclusive rights to an Assistant Coach who just completed the final season under contract until:

The Tuesday following 15 days after the final Monday Night Football game of the regular season, if the Assistant Coaches team is not in the playoffs

The 3rd Tuesday after the Assistant Coaches final playoff game (including Super Bowl), but in no event later than the expiration date in the coaches contract.

This 3 week exclusivity period CAN be waived by the coach’s team.

Coaches Not Under Written Contract:

If an Assistant Coach is working without a contract in effect (i.e., hasn’t yet signed his deal, his old deal lapsed, no new deal reached, but he’s still working for the club), permission MUST be granted even if coach continues to be paid on a non contract basis, and even if it is after March 1st.

Any Assistant Coach not under contract by the time preseason training camp begins is not permitted to participate until his written contract is signed and approved by the League office.

So assistant coaches in the NFL cannot leave their team unless granted permission or following the expiration of their contracts unless they are hiring for HEAD COACHING POSITIONS

OK, does anyone know Munchak's contract status?  

Per this....IF Munchak is not signed to a contract for this next year,  his current contract would have expired  as of 15 days after the last Monday Night Football game....which was played on December 24.....

So, as of January 8th  he would be a free agent coach   (again...IF he has no deal with the Steelers)

IF he has no contract with them....he is free to sign on with the Browns...even as a lateral move, no?  (OL coach to OL coach).  

What I am saying is that I respect what this guy has been doing, and I believe he is responsible to a great degree for that team's current (offensive) success.   And I would like to see him get out of there.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I don't know if it's "definitive" but it's all I could come up with...  

NFL rules regarding hiring assistant coaches to lateral moves

LATERAL OPPORTUNITIES

Assistant coach to Non Head Coach opportunities

Note: “promotions” to coordinator level are NOT promotions under this policy; a coach is either an Assistant Coach or a Head Coach, period.

Teams retain exclusive rights to an Assistant Coach who just completed the final season under contract until:

The Tuesday following 15 days after the final Monday Night Football game of the regular season, if the Assistant Coaches team is not in the playoffs

The 3rd Tuesday after the Assistant Coaches final playoff game (including Super Bowl), but in no event later than the expiration date in the coaches contract.

This 3 week exclusivity period CAN be waived by the coach’s team.

Coaches Not Under Written Contract:

If an Assistant Coach is working without a contract in effect (i.e., hasn’t yet signed his deal, his old deal lapsed, no new deal reached, but he’s still working for the club), permission MUST be granted even if coach continues to be paid on a non contract basis, and even if it is after March 1st.

Any Assistant Coach not under contract by the time preseason training camp begins is not permitted to participate until his written contract is signed and approved by the League office.

So assistant coaches in the NFL cannot leave their team unless granted permission or following the expiration of their contracts unless they are hiring for HEAD COACHING POSITIONS

Ballpeen knows all....ok,  I don't.  I just knew about that.  It's been that way for a few years now.   It may seem unfair, but overall I like the rule.     Teams can retain players.  Why not be able to retain coaching talent?

15 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Ballpeen knows all....ok,  I don't.  I just knew about that.  It's been that way for a few years now.   It may seem unfair, but overall I like the rule.     Teams can retain players.  Why not be able to retain coaching talent?

And I bow to your knowledge on the subject.    As I said, I had thought that the NFL considered a move from a position coach to a coordinator's job as a promotion......but NOOOOOO (to quote mjp's avatar).....I guess they see it merely as a lateral move.

• Zombo locked this topic

Archived