THE BROWNS BOARD

Top Offseason Need - Poll

MLD Woody

Top Offseason Need  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What position is our top need heading into the offseason?

• Quarterback
    • Runningback
    • Wide Receiver
    • Tight End
    • Offensive Tackle
    • Interior Offensive Line
    • Interior Defensive Line
    • Defensive End / Edge Rusher
    • Linebacker
    • Safety
    • Cornerback

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a DUMB poll for something that has become clearly obvious to anyone , who has seen this team get killed by the run since it's rebirth...

Ogunjobi is a terror in the Middle. Could do with one more beast inside. CB depending on who all we keep but we should finally have Howard Wilson healthy and he's supposed to be legit- freak accident breaking his patella(kneecap) in training camp...

I like all of our players. 

1 hour ago, nickers said:

This was a DUMB poll for something that has become clearly obvious to anyone , who has seen this team get killed by the run since it's rebirth...

28th in run defense, needs to be addressed...  

11 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Ogunjobi is a terror in the Middle. Could do with one more beast inside. CB depending on who all we keep but we should finally have Howard Wilson healthy and he's supposed to be legit- freak accident breaking his patella(kneecap) in training camp...

I like all of our players. 

Wilson has been hurt for like 3 years running.  Why on earth should any of us expect him to contribute?

11 hours ago, nickers said:

It could be the top 1 or 2 or maybe 3 needs or picks including the ol' standby BPA, you know the best player available at #17 or whatever pick.

Or a qualifier like outside of ____________ what should be the BROWNS next neeed. 

Just think we have over three months to hash this all out.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Wilson has been hurt for like 3 years running.  Why on earth should any of us expect him to contribute?

Agreed. It would be sweet if he played at the level it is expected from him, but can't wait too much from a guy who spends more time with the medic than his team mates...

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

You only allowed one choice....where I could not decided from between 2-3 needs.  I chose LB, though DL and DB may be equally needed.

I couldn't agree more.  But I'd say why not LB first, then DL and we need an experienced WR with size (they're all short other than Perriman).  

Our LBs maybe over paid but its suprising so many people think they are our major issue. Schobert is a stud. Collins is a monster when hes motivated and winning tends to motivate people. Kirksey is overrated but still a quality starter. Then you have Avery and Vallejo who showed some promise.

We need to replace Coley and get some depth at DT. 

We need to get RT who can move Hubbard to a rotational player. Resign Robinson and give Harrison another year to earn the LT job.

Those are the only needs I see. It would be nice to have a #1 WR that could draw double teams, or another pass rusher across from Garrett, or another shutdown corner across from Ward. We just need to focus on getting quality depth so no single injury (outside of Baker) will ruin our season.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

28th in run defense, needs to be addressed...  

I would agree run defense needs addressed but if someone like greedy Williams is the best player on the board when we pick at 17 you have to pick him to pair him with Ward and potentially replace him if Ward can't stay healthy. Then if he plays up to par and Ward stays healthy we have two premiere young lockdown corners that will help in the Run game because we don't have to commit as many to pass coverage.

2 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I would agree run defense needs addressed but if someone like greedy Williams is the best player on the board when we pick at 17 you have to pick him to pair him with Ward and potentially replace him if Ward can't stay healthy. Then if he plays up to par and Ward stays healthy we have two premiere young lockdown corners that will help in the Run game because we don't have to commit as many to pass coverage.

I went CB for that reason. If Ward can’t stay healthy, we’ll have a bigger hole than DT. 

When ur lineman get.pushed off the los and OL jump off on ur lb'ers like they came off a trampoline......wont matrer who are lb'ers are. Schobert played well in the beginning of the season when everyone was fresh. As the season wore on our lack of serviceable depth meant srarters were getting wore down. Garrett was the only DL starter that didnt have some kind of obvious issue. 

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Our LBs maybe over paid but its suprising so many people think they are our major issue. Schobert is a stud. Collins is a monster when hes motivated and winning tends to motivate people. Kirksey is overrated but still a quality starter. Then you have Avery and Vallejo who showed some promise.

We need to replace Coley and get some depth at DT. 

We need to get RT who can move Hubbard to a rotational player. Resign Robinson and give Harrison another year to earn the LT job.

Those are the only needs I see. It would be nice to have a #1 WR that could draw double teams, or another pass rusher across from Garrett, or another shutdown corner across from Ward. We just need to focus on getting quality depth so no single injury (outside of Baker) will ruin our season.

I don't know about these being the "only" needs....I think the DB could use more help...but it is still a good start to things.

23 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know about these being the "only" needs....I think the DB could use more help...but it is still a good start to things.

We have Ward, Randall, and Peppers playing at a high level. Mitchell showed play making ability. BBC is a stud and Carrie is a really nice depth piece. Ideally we had another top level CB but I'm happy with that secondary

It's never a bad thing to draft a top CB in rd 4/5 if one drops.

But the priority has to be DI and LB.. cmon people, this can't be a debate, we just gave up over 300 yards rushing in one game.  And DE is nearly nonexistent on our list of potential weaknesses -- depth is good, and the improvement between Ogbah and whoever we draft would quite seriously be 8-15 plays per season.. aka one per game.  This play would be known as a "sack" -- because Ogbah is top5 in setting the edge in run D.  He's good.. actual issues are elsewhere.  We had this same discussion last year.. drop it.

If we drafted DI and 2 LB in some combo with the first 3 rounds and CB in the 4th and take some flyers on character in the later rounds I think that'd be just about optimal..

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

As I said this morning on another thread, obviously he is kept on IR by the FO for a damn good reason. If they had no expectations, he would have already been gone.

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The nice thing about finding DTs that are good against the run is today's NFL values a pass rush over run defense.

You can probably find one or two this draft on the cheap. 

This draft is loaded with talented DTs that would fit our D well. But like others if the  BPA is a LB like White of LSU, take him and go for the DT in Rd 2.

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

This draft is loaded with talented DTs that would fit our D well. But like others if the  BPA is a LB like White of LSU, take him and go for the DT in Rd 2.

Isn't White a MLB? If so, are you moving Schobert to OLB?

20 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

White has played Rover LB in mostly a 3-4 system at LSU, so he has played everywhere at LB. as most rookies, coverage skills will be tested at nfl speed..

28 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Possibly. But White is a major step up from Schobert. The guy is going to be a monster for some lucky team. He doesn't just hit, he runs through blocks and destroys. Take note in this video how really strong his hands are too. Not only does he track down speedy RBs/QBs, but he grabs and slings people around with hands that belong on DLs. Excellent in pass coverage as well. Multiple reasons why he won the Butkus Award this year.

i will add, i loved the get low mentality that GW brought to our tackling. What was not thrilling, was the poor tackling angles we repeated to take from our LB/DB's..This Kat, seldomly misses what he is after.. nice video Ag..  

Archived