THE BROWNS BOARD

What position/player are you watching for the bowl season?

tiamat63

11 hours ago, Mark O said:

I'd like to say no but my college playing career wasn't leading to a millions and millions of dollars earned in the NFL either.    But then look at the Jaylon Smith (i think that's his name) from Notre Dame who blew out his knee in the Fiesta Bowl a couple years ago.  Still gets drafted and works his ass off to get back on the field and now is playing great in the NFL.   He doesn't regret trying to play in his last ever college game. 

It's a tough decision and I understand why guys skip the game.  I don't like that they do it but I get it.  I'd like to think that I'd play.

Even with insurance he still misses out on over 20 million for his first contract. Myself I'd like to say I wouldn't skip out because how much I love my team but you throw 20 million guaranteed in front of me and I can't definitively say. That's life changing money.

According to industry professionals, the general rule is that a top-10 pick will qualify for $10 million of permanent total disability with a $5 million loss-of-value rider. The 10 to 20 picks would be looking at $5 to $7.5 million of PTD and $2 to $3 million in loss of value. Picks in the 20 to 30 pick range would be around $5 million total disability. So in smith's case since he is not permanently hurt he could only have possibly recovered 5 out of that 20 million from the first contract he missed out on.

Remember the corner from Oregon we had for a little bit was projected first rounder got hurt was udfa or 7th round pick? Well he didn't recover (he is still in league) like jaylon Smith did and his insurance policy only paid a million (I know still a ton of money). That's not even close to what he lost. The insurance policies aren't that great. 

I do not blame the players one bit that sit out. The system is not set up well enough for the players and certainly not for the ones good enough to make it to the NFL 

Edit these are the jaylon Smith numbers
Contract: $18,461,371 (loss)

Guaranteed: $20,084,499 (loss)

Signing bonus: $13,426,391 (loss)

Jaylon did have an insurance policy that paid him 900k but those numbers above are what he missed out on going from top 5 (5th) to 2nd rounder,

10 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Edit these are the jaylon Smith numbers
Contract: $18,461,371 (loss)

Guaranteed: $20,084,499 (loss)

Signing bonus: $13,426,391 (loss)

Jaylon did have an insurance policy that paid him 900k but those numbers above are what he missed out on going from top 5 (5th) to 2nd rounder,

Good thing for him is that he's playing like a top 5 pick now and he will get paid on his next contract.  But he is probably the exception.   It's a hard choice and I agree with you.  I don't blame them at all.  I'd prefer that they play as a fan but I get why they don't. 

10 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Remember the corner from Oregon we had for a little bit was projected first rounder got hurt was udfa or 7th round pick? Well he didn't recover (he is still in league)

Ifo ekpre-olamu

37 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Watching Clemsons interior Dline.  Wilkins and Ferral especially

There is some beast Tackle play going on too..

Archived