THE BROWNS BOARD

What position/player are you watching for the bowl season?

tiamat63

Figured I would start this up to generate conversation on players some of us might not have seen previously. 

Right now I'm watching the Miss. State - Iowa game and this Simmons kid (DI) for the Bulldogs has really caught my eye.  6'3 305 and has a great first step.

21 minutes ago, blitzz2 said:

That Texas receiver who exploded during the OU game.Collin Johnson, he had size 6'4 180 had hands and seemed to run pretty good routes. Caught the ball at it's highest point, etc etc.

Good call. I'm looking at taller receivers as well and this Smith kid for Iowa is another that is standing out.  

Josh Allen, OLB for Kentucky is playing Penn State, so I'll be watching him. 

Hopefully I'll be watching him tear Penn State's QB Trace McSorley's head off. Can't stand that fuckstick. 😝

There's a local kid (I think) whose name I'm blanking on that is a beast at TE for Kentucky. Wouldn't mind finding an upgrade for Devalve beyond the 1st and 2nd round. 

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Josh Allen, OLB for Kentucky is playing Penn State, so I'll be watching him. 

Hopefully I'll be watching him tear Penn State's QB Trace McSorley's head off. Can't stand that fuckstick. 😝

There's a local kid (I think) whose name I'm blanking on that is a beast at TE for Kentucky. Wouldn't mind finding an upgrade for Devalve beyond the 1st and 2nd round. 

Is it CJ Conrad from LaGrange, OH?

Mike

Bama vs Clemson..That war on the D front 7 of both teams is NFL stacked. Best player available at several key positions may get Dorsey dealing up from #17? Finding small Trade up partners looking for good defensive parts might get steep.. 

6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Bama vs Clemson..That war on the D front 7 of both teams is NFL stacked. Best player available at several key positions may get Dorsey dealing up from #17? Finding small Trade up partners looking for good defensive parts might get steep.. 

The Browns could use a DE, DT, OLB or a CB on defense. 

I think a really good defensive player is going to fall into the Browns lap. There are so many good defensive players this draft. Wouldn't be shocked if almost 2/3 of the first rounders are defensive players. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Figured I would start this up to generate conversation on players some of us might not have seen previously. 

Right now I'm watching the Miss. State - Iowa game and this Simmons kid (DI) for the Bulldogs has really caught my eye.  6'3 305 and has a great first step.

I've only watched a game or 2 of Simmons but as it stands right now I think he may be the best player in this draft. With his off the field issues we may get lucky enough that he falls. Derrick Brown out of Auburn might pass him up the more I watch the 2. Brown really pushes the pocket and looks like a complete DT. He is a man amongst boys

I dont think Dorsey has any interest in bigger WRs. It seems like he likes explosive guys that get yards after the catch. I think hell look at guys like marquise brown, deebo samuel, and Emanuel Hall.

4 hours ago, blitzz2 said:

That Texas receiver who exploded during the OU game.Collin Johnson, he had size 6'4 180 had hands and seemed to run pretty good routes. Caught the ball at it's highest point, etc etc.

I already watched my guy. I have been banging this drum for a while but Hakeem Butler for Iowa state is a monster he had nine catches for 192 yards. And as far as Dorsey liking smaller guys that are fast and explosive I could see him targeting Parris Campbell if he falls to the second round which I believe he should fall to the fourth or fifth round but people have him very high on their draft boards

More on Hakeem Butler just look at this athleticism he displayed in bowl game vs wazzu. Granted this guy is only a redshirt Junior but draft scout rates him as the 38th best wide receiver Walter Football doesn't even have him listed as a prospect. So this guy falls to the third or fourth round and you don't take him that's crazy. Again this is all if he comes out but if you guys watch film on him and tell me he's the 38 best wide receiver Prospect in the draft than alright I just have some weird man crush but I think this kid standing at 6'6" 225 lbs with a 7-foot wingspan running a 4.5 40 looks better than colin Johnson to me and remind me of Randy Moss what's some of the spectacular catches he makes.

112227.jpeg

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Devin White is an animal and my favorite LB in this draft. 

They had a pretty damn good D lineman too, Jr. Rashard Lawrence. Great at inside pressure on the QB. Quick as a cat @ 317 lbs. Don't know if he's coming out early.

32 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Greg Gaines for UDub is another value space eater I'm seeing.

His bearded photos will show a twin to Jamie Meder..

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Devin White is an animal and my favorite LB in this draft. 

playing #42 here...he's played as a Kuechly LB all season at LSU..a solid choice tia 

55 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll be watching the entire Clemson DLine next Monday. 

Well, almost the entire Clemson DLine. 

Will Dexter Lawrence be in the program in the NFL for his failed drug test? I wouldn't assume so because the NCAA conducted it but Terrelle Pryor was punished by the NFL because of an NCAA suspension.

2 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Will Dexter Lawrence be in the program in the NFL for his failed drug test? I wouldn't assume so because the NCAA conducted it but Terrelle Pryor was punished by the NFL because of an NCAA suspension.

I honestly do not know. I want to say yes. 

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I honestly do not know. I want to say yes. 

Dex is off my list.   Anybody see how much he pissed at?  002% is A LOT.    And given the look at his hair and jawline,  young blood has been regularly at it the last couple years.  

It's too big of a risk for this team in the first couple rounds when some depth and help makes us playoff contenders. 

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll be watching the entire Clemson DLine next Monday. 

Well, almost the entire Clemson DLine. 

You might want to watch Bama's entire defense. About 5 of those guys are listed 1st rounders by most mock drafts.

I love this time of year for the bowl games, teams, players, fans the whole bit plus now the "who's not playing" list is getting longer.

Greed or good business decisions? Should the NCAA allow it or is there nothing they can do? Your thoughts.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-bowl-season-players-skipping-NFL-Draft-Michigan-Wolverines-125855307/#125855307_12

College football's hottest growing trend could reach a record number this month during bowl season for players announcing they will not play in their teams' final game in prep for their pro careers.

Before cries of selfishness hit a fever pitch, know these are all calculated decisions and most are made after conversations with their coaching staff. In short, football is a business and these potential early-round selections are protecting their investment.

In recent years, Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey made waves by electing to stay in warm-up gear on the sideline during premiere games and the number of players sitting out this bowl season is expected to exceed double digits.

17 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I love this time of year for the bowl games, teams, players, fans the whole bit plus now the "who's not playing" list is getting longer.

Greed or good business decisions? Should the NCAA allow it or is there nothing they can do? Your thoughts.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-bowl-season-players-skipping-NFL-Draft-Michigan-Wolverines-125855307/#125855307_12

College football's hottest growing trend could reach a record number this month during bowl season for players announcing they will not play in their teams' final game in prep for their pro careers.

Before cries of selfishness hit a fever pitch, know these are all calculated decisions and most are made after conversations with their coaching staff. In short, football is a business and these potential early-round selections are protecting their investment.

In recent years, Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey made waves by electing to stay in warm-up gear on the sideline during premiere games and the number of players sitting out this bowl season is expected to exceed double digits.

No Buckeye players skipped the Rose Bowl.   (Unless you count Nick Bosa....who because of injury may have not been able to play in it anyway).

If OSU had been in a lesser bowl...even the Orange or Sugar,  then a couple of guys may have done that.....though maybe not in deference to Urban Meyer's last game.

44 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No Buckeye players skipped the Rose Bowl.   (Unless you count Nick Bosa....who because of injury may have not been able to play in it anyway).

If OSU had been in a lesser bowl...even the Orange or Sugar,  then a couple of guys may have done that.....though maybe not in deference to Urban Meyer's last game.

Just curious if it were you (or any of you) or maybe your kid would you skip your last ever college game?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

And East Germany had some of the world's greatest athletes in there "program".  

And it doesn't hurt to recruit 5* and high 4* players nationally year  after year. It's not like every college team doesn't have some E. German wonders. But some  start with better athletes to begin with. Everyone else is just envious of those recruiting classes.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Just curious if it were you (or any of you) or maybe your kid would you skip your last ever college game?

I'd like to say no but my college playing career wasn't leading to a millions and millions of dollars earned in the NFL either.    But then look at the Jaylon Smith (i think that's his name) from Notre Dame who blew out his knee in the Fiesta Bowl a couple years ago.  Still gets drafted and works his ass off to get back on the field and now is playing great in the NFL.   He doesn't regret trying to play in his last ever college game. 

It's a tough decision and I understand why guys skip the game.  I don't like that they do it but I get it.  I'd like to think that I'd play.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I don't have to worry about making that decision. My son did not skip his last year of school to go to work for millions of dollars....nor did he skip the 6 interim years of grad school. 

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And it doesn't hurt to recruit 5* and high 4* players nationally year  after year. It's not like every college team doesn't have some E. German wonders. But some  start with better athletes to begin with. Everyone else is just envious of those recruiting classes.

Like East Germany.....Alabama's program is the most highly developed, sophisticated program.

6 hours ago, Mark O said:

I'd like to say no but my college playing career wasn't leading to a millions and millions of dollars earned in the NFL either.    But then look at the Jaylon Smith (i think that's his name) from Notre Dame who blew out his knee in the Fiesta Bowl a couple years ago.  Still gets drafted and works his ass off to get back on the field and now is playing great in the NFL.   He doesn't regret trying to play in his last ever college game. 

It's a tough decision and I understand why guys skip the game.  I don't like that they do it but I get it.  I'd like to think that I'd play.

You can get insurance policies for playing additional years some paid by the schools.  Now it might not approach #1 pick or top round picks (Mayfield about $33M) but it is something.  From ESPN 2016:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17328541/college-football-insurance-policies-big-complicated-business

Sources revealed Wednesday that Clemson's Deshaun Watson has taken out two insurance policies against a career-ending injury: a $5 million total disability policy and a $5 million loss of value policy.

The reality is, players rarely end up receiving a payout, even after they've sustained an injury. And when they do get paid, it's still unclear whether the IRS has dibs on a cut of the money.

Here's a primer on how these policies work:

What is a total disability policy?

It protects a player should he become unable to play football again because of an injury. This covers an injury on or off the field, usually from the time a player signs the policy until the following football season. The only reason something wouldn't be covered is if there's a pre-existing injury; the insurer might specify in the policy that the player would not be covered if the same injury occurs again.......

What do these policies cost?

A rule of thumb is about $10,000 for every $1 million in coverage. Previously, the NCAA helped secure a loan for the premium, which would be paid by the player's family, but a couple of years ago, that changed when it was discovered that schools were allowed to take out the policies themselves.

Sources said that Clemson took out a policy for Watson through International Specialty Insurance, which has established itself as the leader in the space, especially when it comes to offering loss of value.  ..CONTINUED IN LINK......

Archived