THE BROWNS BOARD

Coach Interviews

Zombo

13 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

I like eberfluss's philosophy. He generated alot of pressure on QB's with just his front 4 that didnt have the talent we do. 

think we may have found our front runner.(loafers?). https://www.brownszone.com/2019/01/06/colts-defensive-coordinator-matt-eberflus-interviews-for-browns-job-fresh-off-impressive-playoff-game/   Bears DC Vic Fangio from nfl.com may see Denver & Miami.Flores has already or will interview there too. Another name out there for Browns that been reported is Mike Munchak(besides names in link)..not much smoke after that. Maybe Jim Schwartz starts taking calls now? I think some of these DC interviewees have no issue giving Freddie the OC..Why would they not?  

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally, i love the fact that Dorsey is interviewing everyone under the sun. It's the way it should be for this position. The goal is to win right now. No more waiting. They need someone whom can come in and do just that. I think with the success of this draft class, Dorsey's position within the organization is even stronger. I think/hope, the Jimmah knows to keep his nose out of it, and to trust his GM. Sit there and listen to what everyone has to say. The browns are the #1 job on the market right now. They are going to get their guy. It's not going to be McCarthy, McDaniels or Arians and I'm about 99% sure it won't be Williams. The biggest concern is probably that if they don't hire Kitchens as a HC, then if they light it up this year (which they should), he is going to be a hot HC elsewhere and will probably be gone. Tough dilemma but I think that is a question that most of these guys are getting in their interview plans. What's the NEXT step?  My personal thoughts as to whom is going to be HC:

1) Dave Toub (ST coordinator in KC). I still think this is Dorsey's guy. He comes in for the next 5 years, wins a SB and retires into the sunset. He does all the little things and knows how to manage a team. Freddie takes over after that.

2) Dan Cambpell (TE coach NO). He's a players coach who preaches discipline. He did a good job in that disaster of a season for Miami. Players really liked him and they played hard. He got the raw end of the stick in Miami but he has since been tutoring under Payton for the last 3 years. I think he has everything the browns want and need. 

3.) Matt Eferblus (DC at Indy). Very similar to DC above. I think he has the right mentality for the job

4) Matt Campell (Iowa St. HC). He's probably #1 on the big board but I think he gives college a few more years. He's a really good coach and he is very willing to adapt his style of play to the game. He does a lot with not very good talent

5.) Kris Richard (passing coordinator DAL). I do not think he is going to be the HC. HOWEVER, he could very easily become the DC of the Browns. If any of the guys above are hired, look for him to take this position as similar to kitchens this might only be a one year deal before he gets a HC gig of his own. Resume builder for him

6.) Nick Flores (defensive coach NE). There is a whole thread on him but he's a dark horse. I'm not a fan of the belichek tree so I would stay away.

**If you haven't noticed my theme with all of these coaches it is that the Browns are going to be winning A LOT! That is the expectation. Playoffs and Super Bowl within the the next 4 years. Also, with winning, there will be a lot of poaching of the staff. I have a feeling within the next 5 years these guys will all be gone: Kitchens, Richard (if hired as DC), Eliot Wolf, Andrew Berry, young williams

Kitchens getting interviewed today and McCarthy tomorrow ..... wondering if McDaniels, Toub and Schwartz get an interview ...... somebody said something bazaar  today  on twitter .... he said watch for Browns trading for Sean Payton .... think he had too much alcohol  last night 

33 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

personally, i love the fact that Dorsey is interviewing everyone under the sun. It's the way it should be for this position. The goal is to win right now. No more waiting. They need someone whom can come in and do just that. I think with the success of this draft class, Dorsey's position within the organization is even stronger. I think/hope, the Jimmah knows to keep his nose out of it, and to trust his GM. Sit there and listen to what everyone has to say. The browns are the #1 job on the market right now. They are going to get their guy. It's not going to be McCarthy, McDaniels or Arians and I'm about 99% sure it won't be Williams. The biggest concern is probably that if they don't hire Kitchens as a HC, then if they light it up this year (which they should), he is going to be a hot HC elsewhere and will probably be gone. Tough dilemma but I think that is a question that most of these guys are getting in their interview plans. What's the NEXT step?  My personal thoughts as to whom is going to be HC:

1) Dave Toub (ST coordinator in KC). I still think this is Dorsey's guy. He comes in for the next 5 years, wins a SB and retires into the sunset. He does all the little things and knows how to manage a team. Freddie takes over after that.

2) Dan Cambpell (TE coach NO). He's a players coach who preaches discipline. He did a good job in that disaster of a season for Miami. Players really liked him and they played hard. He got the raw end of the stick in Miami but he has since been tutoring under Payton for the last 3 years. I think he has everything the browns want and need. 

3.) Matt Eferblus (DC at Indy). Very similar to DC above. I think he has the right mentality for the job

4) Matt Campell (Iowa St. HC). He's probably #1 on the big board but I think he gives college a few more years. He's a really good coach and he is very willing to adapt his style of play to the game. He does a lot with not very good talent

5.) Kris Richard (passing coordinator DAL). I do not think he is going to be the HC. HOWEVER, he could very easily become the DC of the Browns. If any of the guys above are hired, look for him to take this position as similar to kitchens this might only be a one year deal before he gets a HC gig of his own. Resume builder for him

6.) Nick Flores (defensive coach NE). There is a whole thread on him but he's a dark horse. I'm not a fan of the belichek tree so I would stay away.

**If you haven't noticed my theme with all of these coaches it is that the Browns are going to be winning A LOT! That is the expectation. Playoffs and Super Bowl within the the next 4 years. Also, with winning, there will be a lot of poaching of the staff. I have a feeling within the next 5 years these guys will all be gone: Kitchens, Richard (if hired as DC), Eliot Wolf, Andrew Berry, young williams

Is Nick Flores Pats DC Brian Flores's son ?

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

think we may have found our front runner.(loafers?). https://www.brownszone.com/2019/01/06/colts-defensive-coordinator-matt-eberflus-interviews-for-browns-job-fresh-off-impressive-playoff-game/   Bears DC Vic Fangio from nfl.com may see Denver & Miami.Flores has already or will interview there too. Another name out there for Browns that been reported is Mike Munchak(besides names in link)..not much smoke after that. Maybe Jim Schwartz starts taking calls now? I think some of these DC interviewees have no issue giving Freddie the OC..Why would they not?  

I had been a Munchak promoter from way back, if you all recall.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I had been a Munchak promoter from way back, if you all recall.

He has been mentioned, but no word if the Browns will interview him. You're about the only guy here with an interest. Way, way down on my wish list.... 

12 minutes ago, hoorta said:

He has been mentioned, but no word if the Browns will interview him. You're about the only guy here with an interest. Way, way down on my wish list.... 

He is one of those guys that did about a .500 job in his first stint with the Tits......but who could in fact greatly improve the second time around.  Also, as far as I am concerned, he is the best thing the Steelers have going for them at this point...Even so,  if he would just get out of Pisstown, that would be great, even if he don't come here. 

So Ian Rapoport thinks Freddy has or is close to a lead?

From Discover on Google https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/01/07/freddie-kitchens-emerging-favorite-cleveland-browns-head-coach/amp/

I don't want to take him away from the OC job but maybe an assistant head coach could help with the nuts and bolts and he could still run the offense? You know, the Peter Principle. Still he could be that fresh new rookie head coach with a great rookie quarterback and ride the top of the AFC North for the next 12 years.

I'm still puzzled by the lack of love for Ariens.

WSS

On 1/5/2019 at 9:50 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Dustin Fox says that he hears the Browns are very interested in Colts Defensive Coordinator Matt Eberflus. 

After seeing what his unit did today vs the Texans, I can see the intrigue. 

My thoughts exactly... very imaginative use of personnel.

And hell... he's even got Desir playing quality ball.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:27 PM, Flugel said:

Thanks Dutch!   Definitely worthy of note.  Arians seems pretty full of himself considering why he quit on his last HC gig. 

Yup... I have to wonder whether he saw the dip coming and bailed.

On the employed candidates whose teams are still playing, e.g., Eberflus...

I thought in the past you had to either wait for their seasons be over or, in the case of the SB teams, their week off prior to the SB.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

On the employed candidates whose teams are still playing, e.g., Eberflus...

I thought in the past you had to either wait for their seasons be over or, in the case of the SB teams, their week off prior to the SB.

That's what I thought too... 

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

very imaginative use of personnel.

And hell... he's even got Desir playing quality ball.

I also saw the same with watching the motor upkick in Jabaal Sheard..Brian Flores nor Matt Patricia truely got to it at Pats either, so they would sometimes rotate Sheard out. Danny Shelton looks to be the next guy out of the Patriots Way..or is that Bill's Way? We missed on Doug Peterson, for Hue's year 1. Than we missed on Frank Reich the next in Hue's year two.Reaks of Baker,Kizer nor Kessler not needing a QB whisperer in their ears.       

Random musings so far:

-I'm fine with Arians going to Tampa, if true. I think Dorsey is looking for his next decade type of coach, and Bruce was never going to be that guy.

-IMO it's becoming clearer by the day Williams is not being seriously considered. It should also be considered that while we've denied several teams a chance to interview Freddie, to my knowledge not one such request has been denied for Gregg. Something to think about.

-The more each day goes on, the more I like the idea of Dan Campbell HC, Freddie OC/assistant head coach, and DC? I'm not sure.

How difficult would it be for a new HC to come in and then told this your OC.  Must HCs like to have their own crew.  

Would that cause "discord" as mentioned with the hue, Haley fiasco?

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

How difficult would it be for a new HC to come in and then told this your OC.  Must HCs like to have their own crew.  

It's definitely a fair question to consider. I just hope it's patently clear that we keep Freddie at all costs, even if it means he becomes our next HC. 

2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

All depends on who the new HC turns out to be.   Heard during the Bears game that when Nagy was named HC he chose to retain Fangio as DC rather than search for a new guy.   All is speculation until we know who the new coach of the team is.    Would think if it's a defensive minded HC, Kitchens has a strong chance of being kept.   If it's an offensive guy, then I think its likely hes not kept around.

9 minutes ago, Mark O said:

All depends on who the new HC turns out to be.   Heard during the Bears game that when Nagy was named HC he chose to retain Fangio as DC rather than search for a new guy.   All is speculation until we know who the new coach of the team is.    Would think if it's a defensive minded HC, Kitchens has a strong chance of being kept.   If it's an offensive guy, then I think its likely hes not kept around.

Exactly... If we elevate a DC then the odds are much greater for Kitch to stick.

You simply ask your HC candidates who they see as their Coords during the interview process.

Archived