THE BROWNS BOARD

Coach Interviews

Zombo

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL, as Han Solo said- "fly casual, but not too casual."  Casting a wide net.  Be interesting to see what happens when the dominos start to fall....  You don't want to see a guy Dorsey really likes take a job with another team.... 

He’s holding his cards close. The secret spy drone info sez if not Condi, it’s anybody. But Vegas sez GW is still the money favorite. And NFL league office hates that idea. They don’t care for him getting a HC job anywhere. Blacklist?  Bernie used to reward linemen for preventing sacks. Not that much different than paying for them. And in my opinion Gregg Williams is the perfect HC for this team. DC had their over the hill gang. Why can’t Cleveland have the Young Riders? 

The league office does not like our town or fans one iota. We showed them up and kept our team. But hey, just another day of us against the world

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Orion said:

a) I hope Kitchens isn't too pissed off about not being granted interviews with other teams.

b) I'm glad to hear that Dorsey has recognized Kitchens in that way.

a) Dorsey/jima agreed to give him the keys since preseason to let him call plays. Than promoted him into position. Dorsey can't deny Freddie HC'ing interviews & he won't.But with the other team denials Dorsey scheduled Freddie's HC'ing interview for next week. Me thinks both are on the same page of where Freddie wants to be. In Cleveland                                  b) rewatched Dorsey's presser. GW was a easy 2 way conversation. Dorsey clearly did not want to talk about Freddie's status, till the media gods kept poaching questions at him about Freddie. Dorsey gave them short pokes, than the "let's move away from that conversation"    

9 hours ago, Orion said:

I hope Kitchens isn't too pissed off about not being granted interviews with other teams.

I believe Dorsey when he says that he's not granting permission because he wants the new HC to have the opportunity to interview and maybe hire him.  And I don't think that Dorsey would pull out the shotgun on the perspective new HC...but I'm sure he'd tell the candidates that, Hey, you hire who you want but we've got a guy right in this building that did a whale of a job with Baker and the offense and I'd like you to at least talk to him about the OC position.

I'm glad to hear that Dorsey has recognized Kitchens in that way.

They can’t stop another team from interviews for a HC spot. The Browns have declined permission for OC interviews which they are allowed to do. There have been zero requests to interview Freddy for a HC job. 

32 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Apparently Josh McDaniels is “enthusiastically interested” in the Browns job.

Basically at this point... who isn’t?

Same guy that was enthusiastically interested in making Tim Tebow his franchise QB? I guess having one handed to you is much better.

Zombo

40 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Same guy that was enthusiastically interested in making Tim Tebow his franchise QB? I guess having one handed to you is much better.

Zombo

And enthusiastically wanted the Colts head coaching job with a fair to middling qb in Andrew Luck. Until he didn't at the last minute and screwed Indy over royally. Not my idea of a "high character guy", and I hope not Dorsey's either.

5 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And enthusiastically wanted the Colts head coaching job with a fair to middling qb in Andrew Luck. Until he didn't at the last minute and screwed Indy over royally. Not my idea of a "high character guy", and I hope not Dorsey's either.

Andrew Luck is damn good. Agree with the rest.

Zombo

38 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Andrew Luck is damn good. Agree with the rest.

Zombo

LOL, I was sarcastically understating Luck's ability. When he's healthy Andy is damn good, among the best. There was a reason he went #1 overall. :)

9 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

And Dorsey is not interested in him. Probably something about character. Josh is a sleaze bucket compared to Williams 

Not to mention the spectacular fail rate of HC apples that have fallen off the Bellichick tree. 

On 1/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, Canton Mike said:

Haha...What I predicted when Hue was fired is that...

1) Marvin retires or is fired

2) Bengals hire Hue as HC

I would not be surprised to see them sign Tyrod. I am just LMAO over this! It could actually happen!!!

You are assuming RG3 is not available?

On 1/2/2019 at 4:12 PM, Ghoolie said:

as you know I have always maintained that assistants, especially those working for drivers like Belichik, are nothing more than coffee fetchers. Phile Sewage and Donuts Crennel were prime examples of this. I have also said that if you hire people based on their resume, all you are going to get is someone who knows how to write a resume.

I don't know jack dick about hiring a head coach. Dorsey does.

While I've no doubt working for Bill makes his former Coords seem more X's and O's proficient, I think the real issue has been that his "style" (for lack of a better word) is so pervasive that they never really develop their own.  He gets away with his dispassionate, gruff style because of the gravitas he's accumulated over his years of success. Once on their own they haven't been able to replicate that even if it does fit their personality.

Clearly it did not fit Romeo's... Weis came closer, but he just came off as combative... Mangini? Closest to being a clone, but never got over the hump to make his stoic egotism worth the effort it took to put up with him.

Newest crop looks more promising... Both Patricia in Detroit and especially Vrabel in TN show promise... especially Vrabel who seems to have a strong sense of himself and some of the fire you cite in Cowher.

As for Dorsey knowing "dick"...

Andy Reid was hired by KC hours before then GM, Scott Pioli, was fired and a week before the Chiefs hired Dorsey. So what HC has Dorsey ever hired?

Coincidentally Reid was extended simultaneously with Dorsey being terminated.

Checked and I'm seeing nothing on Gregg Williams getting invites from other teams with HC vacancies. Seems a little surprising to me unless there's something to his "stories" about having turned down four HC offers prior to signing on as Hue's DC. Could be that soured teams on him directly or via the grapevine.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:34 AM, darren15 said:

The guy has been on the Vike's staff since 2009, but they went out and hired Flipper... who they fired after 13 games.

So we're interviewing an interim Viking OC with less experience than our interim OC???

What am I missing here?

21 hours ago, MaineDawg said:

I like Kitchens and what he's done with Baker.

Here's something to chew on. Kitchens has been a positions coach, OC, Assistant HC.

Mike Tomlin was a positions coach, spent 2006 as the Vikings DC, and got the Steelers gig.

Hmmmm.

Agree...

We should know his personality and technical credentials. So really just have to get comfortable with the candidate's ability to set a culture and organize time... his time, his staff's time and his practices.

If there's a little Bum in him then the culture should not be an issue. He did not run the tightest ship, but back in the Luv Ya Blue days his teams played their asses off for the man.

4 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Apparently Josh McDaniels is “enthusiastically interested” in the Browns job.

Basically at this point... who isn’t?

Heard Mortensen say on ESPN that his sense is that "surprisingly" our opening is the most coveted of any that have opened to date.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Not to mention the spectacular fail rate of HC apples that have fallen off the Bellichick tree. 

For me it's more his epic fail in Denver where he arrived thinking he was God's gift... a/k/a the 2nd coming of Bill B... minus the resume.

However, while there were coaching issues most of his woes came (as they often do) from the GM side of his dual role.

There's no doubt he can coach... appears he can co-exist with other strong personalities, e.g., Brady and Bill and I know he'd only be the HC here... so maybe, just maybe, I could learn to not hate the thought of him...

... but there are other names, including a couple currently on our staff, for which I don't have to put any effort into my embracing.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

I heard from a couple of talking heads, that Irsay tried to backtrack on some of the contract language at the last minute.

McDaniels said no dice, and returned to the Pats.

Sounds about right coming from Irsay, and for the record I don’t want Josh as my HC.

3 hours ago, darren15 said:

Eagles DC Jim Schwartz has said he has 2 interviews planned but did not say with which teams ....

I like his defenses. 

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/05/eagles_jim_schwartz_explains_his_philosophy_on_def.html

"

The onus on getting home will fall on a defensive line that has spoken longingly about getting their hands back on the ground, pinning their ears back and getting after the quarterback all offseason. 

Unlike late former Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who built a career on innovative blitz packages and a reputation for dialing up the pressure, the aim of Schwartz's scheme is to get home with the front-four and strangle the quarterback's options with tight coverage downfield.

"I've been there before where you can't get pressure and you have to blitz, and it's not a great feeling," Schwartz admitted. "You want to blitz on your terms. You want to be able to blitz when you want to when the situation is right, not, well, we can't generate a pass rush unless we do. So allowing those guys to keep it simple, to be able to pressure with four and not make yourself skinnier so to speak in coverage can also take some of the big plays away from offenses. And I think big plays."

Funny how just two years ago Cleveland was the worst job in the nfl. All these coaches being interviewed is a waste of time.  It going to be one of three guys. 

1. It stays the same with kitchen being promoted to assistant head coach as well as oc

2. McCarthy comes in

3. Matt Campbell is hired 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Like I argued with you about Crennell, and still hold fast to, coordinators are coffee fetchers most of the time. Some are head coach material but it is not because the coach they served under was successful, but because their individual character, not their past employer is what made them good.

My Cliffs notes on all this.............

1) To me, Luck is okay. I have him equal in caliber to Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco. Not a guy you will ever see in the HOF. Plus, he isn't Mayfield so he can blow Dingo Dogs for all I care.

2) Of course this job opening is the most desired in the NFL, D'uh. Only a moron would look at this team, the city, the fans, the heritage, the opportunity to make a historical contribution, and not be interested.

3) All the noise gives me a fucking headache. Realize that most of the guys being interviewed for the HC job will shit their pants and be failures. For the first time in a long time, our GM is the shit. I am kind of tuned out to the rest of the NFL. Really, I hope the playoff teams all fuck each other up and send a lot of guys to the hospital. 

If not for Hue,  bad refs and two crappy kickers, we would have a bye week as division champs. Sorry, but if you think KC, LA, and the rest of these cocksuckers would beat the Browns in the playoffs, you're crazy.

Go Browns. Fuck every playoff team. Pretender, affirmative action, fake bastard, referee enhanced blowjob bastard, prick suckers. Seriously, I hate everyone in the playoffs. I hope they all get pelted with bottles.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The guy has been on the Vike's staff since 2009, but they went out and hired Flipper... who they fired after 13 games.

So we're interviewing an interim Viking OC with less experience than our interim OC???

What am I missing here?

I'm gonna guess that Dorsey wants to interview as many guys as he can before he interviews Kitchens.  And this guy seems to be from a similar situation as Kitchens.  (too much of a stretch?)

As for DeFlippo, I actually wanted him as a potential HC.  Boy, did HE fall off the map in a big way.

[Edit]

Listening to channel 19 news interview with some sports dude from Green Bay call in about how wonderful it would be if, and only if, McCarthy is allowed to assemble his dream team assistant coaches. Something, being a complete house cleaning, we really dont need at this point.

WSS

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Listening to channel 19 news interview with some sports dude from Green Bay call you in about an hour waterfall it would be if, and only if, McCarthy is allowed to assemble his dream team assistant coaches. Somebody really do I need at this point.

WSS

I'm sorry, but what? 😝

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Listening to channel 19 news interview with some sports dude from Green Bay call you in about an hour waterfall it would be if, and only if, McCarthy is allowed to assemble his dream team assistant coaches. Somebody really do I need at this point.

WSS

That is a poem post. I understood, but it made me think to do so.

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Like I argued with you about Crennell, and still hold fast to, coordinators are coffee fetchers most of the time. Some are head coach material but it is not because the coach they served under was successful, but because their individual character, not their past employer is what made them good.

Tom, we're not going to rehash the coffee fetcher thing. But it is a fact certain Head Coaches have produced way better trees than Bill. Fer instance, Bill fell off of the Parcell's tree. There's others. 

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Checked and I'm seeing nothing on Gregg Williams getting invites from other teams with HC vacancies. Seems a little surprising to me unless there's something to his "stories" about having turned down four HC offers prior to signing on as Hue's DC. Could be that soured teams on him directly or via the grapevine.

What am I missing here?

Agree...

We should know his personality and technical credentials. So really just have to get comfortable with the candidate's ability to set a culture and organize time... his time, his staff's time and his practices.

If there's a little Bum in him then the culture should not be an issue. He did not run the tightest ship, but back in the Luv Ya Blue days his teams played their asses off for the man.

That’s why I’m of the opinion the the league is blacklisting GW. Pluto has mentioned it at least twice now that “league officials“ don’t want GW as a HC anywhere. Hence not one interview offer. That one I find pretty incredible after the record U turn he pulled off. I’d like to see him back but if not, I really hope the Browns take good care of him for his work this year. 

Oh ya, Josh McDaniels will be interviewing here for the Piss Boy position on the team. They can save a few on porta pots with him around. 

Archived