THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike McCarthy Approached

darren15

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I answered the post you made.   I did that before I saw your next post.  I did it before you edited your first post.  I can only answer a question that is asked.  In Jeopardy they don't say "wait...don't ring in to answer this question until after the next question is asked".   It don't work that way.

And then after that post you went on to make another post adding Bill Parcells in response to my third post on the subject when the one that makes it clear that I left out the word  win was my second post on a subject. But regardless if you answered it right away without reading the rest of the thread  it's because you have some superiority complex about your  football knowledge because someone else may have answered that question but you wouldn't have known because you didn't bother to read the rest of the thread. You just thought I have to answer this to prove I'm so smart. like I wanted to say when I said have a good day gip I'm done with this I'm done talkin about it so have a good day gip.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bjh2130 said:

And then after that post you went on to make another post adding Bill Parcells in response to my third post on the subject when the one that makes it clear that I left out the word  win was my second post on a subject. But like I wanted to say when I said have a good day gip I'm done with this I'm done talkin about it so have a good day gip.

Guys, just...

5 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Okay it's not cheating and lying you dumb prick I left out the word when I admitted that or Victory whatever you want to say on accident but in my very next post on the subject after he quoted me it clearly states led them to another Super Bowl victory. When my point is that I don't want another Super bowl-winning retread why would I ask a question that I know the answer is not 0 when I can make my point by asking what coach has won a Super Bowl with two different teams. I worded that poorly and I left out a word doesn't mean I'm a cheating liar. It's people like you that will keep me from going to the Browns board tailgate next year.

I can't read your mind. Like I said, I only answered the question you posted.   Your motivation for why you make a post is not my concern. You asked a trivia question and I answered it.  Plain, simple.  Then you want to change the parameters of that question with another post, and then with an edit. 

What are we supposed to do about that?  And like I said, I only got it partially correct anyway.  

What I think you need to do is to take a drink, you are getting yourself all flustered over nothing.  I will have a drink with you at that tailgate. 

7 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

And it's all over my text to talk not picking up the word win. Or maybe it did and spelled it as "when" so when glimpsing over it I deleted the entire word instead of changing it.

All I'm saying is this is why ... You asked a different question in your mind than you did on the board. But its supposed to be on the reader to understand that and respond accordingly? GTFO

All ya had to do was say, "sorry, I actually meant...."

5 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

And then after that post you went on to make another post adding Bill Parcells in response to my third post on the subject when the one that makes it clear that I left out the word  win was my second post on a subject. But regardless if you answered it right away without reading the rest of the thread  it's because you have some superiority complex about your  football knowledge because someone else may have answered that question but you wouldn't have known because you didn't bother to read the rest of the thread. You just thought I have to answer this to prove I'm so smart. like I wanted to say when I said have a good day gip I'm done with this I'm done talkin about it so have a good day gip.

I made another post adding Bill Parcells because I realized that I had only gotten the original answer to the original question  partially correct.

You see, this is how I...and probably most other people work:   they read a post, they reply to a post.  They don't read the entire rest of a thread to try to discern if somehow you made a mistake or wanted to try to explain something you did  3 posts ago.  Accuse me of linear rather than global thinking I guess when I read this board. 

And I answered the question because....lo and behold....I thought you wanted the question answered.  And I thought I knew the answer.  And when I thought about my answer I realized it was incomplete, so I corrected it.  Your mind may have gone off somewhere in between...and I may not have been paying attention....so be it.  That's life, that's what people say. You get shot down in April and get back up in May.

7 minutes ago, choco said:

All I'm saying is this is why ... You asked a different question in your mind than you did on the board. But its supposed to be on the reader to understand that and respond accordingly? GTFO

DangerousPeriodicAnemoneshrimp-max-1mb.g

1 hour ago, choco said:

6 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Go ahead and keep twisting my words Gip. You didn't answer my question at the outset my question at the outset was how many coaches have won a Superbowl and then lead a different team to another win. I left off when but when I said another I was referring to another win not another Super Bowl. So Mike Holmgren is still not correct.

Because I did say that in this one post which again my text-to-talk spelled it "when" instead of win which is before your sleuthing detective work uncovered that my original post didn't include the word win or "Victory" as I did in my edit. Or my very first response to his Mike Holmgren answer which is like three posts after his answer where I say "I should have been more clear when I said another Super Bowl I meant Super Bowl win." Again because I left out the word win, and it was brought to my attention by Dutch who quoted it, in my secondary post I said the answer is 0 because no coach has coached one team to a Superbowl win and then coached another team to a second Super Bowl win. And that is why I don't want super bowl-winning retread blah blah blah blah blah. Which by the way was done by the time Gip responded

Also gip my point is the post that you quoted to add Parcells and discuss "ween ewbank" is after the post where I clearly state that I meant it as winning a second Super Bowl. So in order to get to that post your linear thinking had to lead you past the previous post where I do discuss that. To everyone on the board I apologize for the tangent. to gip I apologize for not including the word win in my original post and then you skipping over my second post where I made it clear what my intent of the question was. To choco I apologize.

53 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I made another post adding Bill Parcells because I realized that I had only gotten the original answer to the original question  partially correct.

You see, this is how I...and probably most other people work:   they read a post, they reply to a post.  They don't read the entire rest of a thread to try to discern if somehow you made a mistake or wanted to try to explain something you did  3 posts ago.  Accuse me of linear rather than global thinking I guess when I read this board. 

And I answered the question because....lo and behold....I thought you wanted the question answered.  And I thought I knew the answer.  And when I thought about my answer I realized it was incomplete, so I corrected it.  Your mind may have gone off somewhere in between...and I may not have been paying attention....so be it.  That's life, that's what people say. You get shot down in April and get back up in May.

The way I operate is if someone asks a question I read the rest of the thread to see if a correct answer has been given if I know it. That way to cut down on duplicate post and things of the nature but I don't have some constant need to prove to everybody how intelligent I am regarding subjects.

Kind of like in your trivia threads in the two that I've taken part of. If I know the answer to multiple ones I'll scan the thread to see if anyone else has already correctly answered some of the ones I know. If they've all been answered I don't bother posting what I know. If I know five and three of them have been answered I just post the answers to the two answers that I know left blank. I do it that way  so there isn't a big wall of text for people to read much like this thread. But I did it in this thread and I apologize to the board.

10 hours ago, nickers said:

..Lombardi only won 2 titles.. NOT 5!!!

Paul Brown has 7!!

Dems da facts!

1. 2

Vince Lombardi won the Super Bowl 2 times, in 1967 and 1968.

Game Year Team
    Super Bowl II 1968 Green Bay Packers
    Super Bowl I 1967 Green Bay Packers

I sincerely hope you are kidding nickers.... 

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

He didn't want anybody. He wanted to keep the job.

WSS

I had to look it up...

Hue Jackson: “If I was going to turn over the play-calling duties to someone else, it had to be to someone that was experienced and had a long history of success in this league," Jackson said as part of his statement in the team release. "We were going to be patient about it because there is always a lot of movement in the early part of the offseason. When Todd became available, I jumped at the opportunity to meet with him. Once we sat down and talked, it became quickly evident that Todd would be a great fit." 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2755427-report-todd-haley-to-become-browns-oc-take-play-calling-from-hue-jackson.amp.html

He also explained: "When I brought Todd Haley here, I made the commitment to give him total autonomy of the offense." 

In a different article 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Lombardi won NFL Titles in 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966 (Super Bowl I) and 1967 (Super Bowl II), dipshit. 

Paul Brown has 7... I win!

59 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I had to look it up...

Hue Jackson: “If I was going to turn over the play-calling duties to someone else, it had to be to someone that was experienced and had a long history of success in this league," Jackson said as part of his statement in the team release. "We were going to be patient about it because there is always a lot of movement in the early part of the offseason. When Todd became available, I jumped at the opportunity to meet with him. Once we sat down and talked, it became quickly evident that Todd would be a great fit." 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2755427-report-todd-haley-to-become-browns-oc-take-play-calling-from-hue-jackson.amp.html

He also explained: "When I brought Todd Haley here, I made the commitment to give him total autonomy of the offense." 

In a different article 

And I don't believe a single word of it.

WSS

5 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

I don't have some constant need to prove to everybody how intelligent I am regarding subjects.

90% of this thread is you.. trying to prove to everybody how intelligent you are. 5% is other people pointing this out, and the other 5% is tangentially relevant to this forum.

If there is a god, someone will lock this thread regardless of any more replies.  McCarthy is a troglodite and I despair if he is hired.

9 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Haley’s playcalling was so bad at times... that I believe it

But think about it if you get fucked in the ass publicly what are you going to tell everybody? Hey if Haley really was Jackson's idea it seems he would have known him better right? And been on the same page? It seems like Haley hated Jackson's cuts from the get-go and treated him with as little respect as you could treat a head coach.

WSS

The more I think about this coaching search, the more I realize just how difficult it really is to get the right fit.  From the polls I’ve seen, many would like to see both Gregg Williams and Freddie Kitchens return, but not everyone is completely sold on Williams.  Conversely, virtually EVERYONE I’ve heard in the media, on talk shows, and chatrooms said that Freddie Kitchens MUST return. 

At the beginning of the season, you would’ve been laughed at if you said Freddie could be our next head coach.  Now, I’m not so sure he’s not the leading candidate.  Why?  Well, it’s simple really.  Reports are out stating the Browns are blocking Kitchens from interviewing with other teams for vacant OC positions.  It’s easy to see why teams would want him, and if you’re a team that invested heavily in the QB position by drafting one in the first round, you’d be insane not to try and sign Kitchens as your OC.  So what’s the problem with bringing Freddie back as OUR OC?  It’s simple, really.  If Kitchens returns as our OC in 2019 and our offense once again performs very well, SOMEBODY is going to offer him a head coaching position in 2020, it’s just the nature of the league. 

How do we guard against Freddie leaving after 2019?  I have no clue, but I guess one way to create loyalty is to make him one of the highest coordinators in the league, and I’d have ZERO problems doing that.  I know one of the names I’ve been hearing is Dave Taub (sp?), the special teams coach from the Chiefs, and this is actually a hire I’d be ok with because it’s unlikely Taub would interfere with the offense, and I currently HATE OUR SPECIAL TEAMS.  I don’t want to overstate this, but I don’t think it’s a reach to say that special teams cost us a playoff birth, and if we had GOOD special teams, we’re probably the freaking TWO SEED in the AFC.  Let’s go back and look at the games that special teams cost us, shall we? 

Week 1 – Steelers.  Had a chance to win, kick was blocked. 

Week 2 – Saints.  Our kicker missed two FG’s (including kick to tie at the end) and two XP’s.  We lost by 3. 

Week 4 – Raiders.  Didn’t we give up a big punt return after the refs screwed us and we were up 8?  I could be mistaken, but I doubt it.

Week 7 – Bucs.  We fumbled a punt return in OT.  Conversely, THEIR special teams connected on a freaking 59 yarder to win the game.  That…hurts. 

Week 17 – Ravens.  Our kicker misses a 45 yarder before the half, and we don’t have the confidence that he can kick a 56 yarder at the end to win it.  Conversely, Ravens’ kicker (probably hall of fame) was 4-4.

That’s a minimum of FIVE GAMES our special teams COULD HAVE WON for us.  Now, I know it’s not totally fair to completely blame them, I know it’s a team game, but still.  I don’t like our special teams, and if we’re bringing in a new coach, I’d love for it to be a special teams guy. 

31 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The more I think about this coaching search, the more I realize just how difficult it really is to get the right fit.  From the polls I’ve seen, many would like to see both Gregg Williams and Freddie Kitchens return, but not everyone is completely sold on Williams.  Conversely, virtually EVERYONE I’ve heard in the media, on talk shows, and chatrooms said that Freddie Kitchens MUST return. 

At the beginning of the season, you would’ve been laughed at if you said Freddie could be our next head coach.  Now, I’m not so sure he’s not the leading candidate.  Why?  Well, it’s simple really.  Reports are out stating the Browns are blocking Kitchens from interviewing with other teams for vacant OC positions.  It’s easy to see why teams would want him, and if you’re a team that invested heavily in the QB position by drafting one in the first round, you’d be insane not to try and sign Kitchens as your OC.  So what’s the problem with bringing Freddie back as OUR OC?  It’s simple, really.  If Kitchens returns as our OC in 2019 and our offense once again performs very well, SOMEBODY is going to offer him a head coaching position in 2020, it’s just the nature of the league. 

How do we guard against Freddie leaving after 2019?  I have no clue, but I guess one way to create loyalty is to make him one of the highest coordinators in the league, and I’d have ZERO problems doing that.  I know one of the names I’ve been hearing is Dave Taub (sp?), the special teams coach from the Chiefs, and this is actually a hire I’d be ok with because it’s unlikely Taub would interfere with the offense, and I currently HATE OUR SPECIAL TEAMS.  I don’t want to overstate this, but I don’t think it’s a reach to say that special teams cost us a playoff birth, and if we had GOOD special teams, we’re probably the freaking TWO SEED in the AFC.  Let’s go back and look at the games that special teams cost us, shall we? 

Week 1 – Steelers.  Had a chance to win, kick was blocked. 

Week 2 – Saints.  Our kicker missed two FG’s (including kick to tie at the end) and two XP’s.  We lost by 3. 

Week 4 – Raiders.  Didn’t we give up a big punt return after the refs screwed us and we were up 8?  I could be mistaken, but I doubt it.

Week 7 – Bucs.  We fumbled a punt return in OT.  Conversely, THEIR special teams connected on a freaking 59 yarder to win the game.  That…hurts. 

Week 17 – Ravens.  Our kicker misses a 45 yarder before the half, and we don’t have the confidence that he can kick a 56 yarder at the end to win it.  Conversely, Ravens’ kicker (probably hall of fame) was 4-4.

That’s a minimum of FIVE GAMES our special teams COULD HAVE WON for us.  Now, I know it’s not totally fair to completely blame them, I know it’s a team game, but still.  I don’t like our special teams, and if we’re bringing in a new coach, I’d love for it to be a special teams guy. 

And Under The Heading of "If the cat hadn't stopped to shit it would have caught the mouse" consider if these guys would have made the coaching change early and started Mayfield game number one. You think those games wouldn't have had to come down to the wire in the first place?

WSS

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

How do we guard against Freddie leaving after 2019?  I have no clue, but I guess one way to create loyalty is to make him one of the highest coordinators in the league, and I’d have ZERO problems doing that.  I know one of the names I’ve been hearing is Dave Taub (sp?), the special teams coach from the Chiefs, and this is actually a hire I’d be ok with because it’s unlikely Taub would interfere with the offense...

When is the last time you liked our STs? ;)

First, it's Dave Toub.... I mentioned him a while ago as one prospect Dorsey knows first hand.

Wouldn't be the first guy to rise to HC from the ST Coord role in the NFL. Most do have other coaching experience at the collegiate level. BLT's John Harbaugh is the lone example among active HCs plus...

The same can be said of five other legendary head coaches who cut their teeth on special teams for an extended period of time: Marv Levy, Dick Vermeil, Mike Ditka, Bill Cowher and Bill Belichick.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-head-coaching-openings-special-teams-dick-vermeil-john-harbaugh-bill-cowher-mike-ditka-121615

As for keeping Freddy beyond 2019 should our O flourish... tough to do. Asst HC tags won't help unless he's promised the full promotion in the near term... and that requires a willing transitional HC be hired now.

Someone will see through his "bumpkin" facade (probably a southern team) ala the Oilers once upon a time with Bum Phillips.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

When is the last time you liked our STs? ;)

First, it's Dave Toub.... I mentioned him a while ago as one prospect Dorsey knows first hand.

Wouldn't be the first guy to rise to HC from the ST Coord role in the NFL. Most do have other coaching experience at the collegiate level. BLT's John Harbaugh is the lone example among active HCs plus...

As for keeping Freddy beyond 2019 should our O flourish... tough to do. Asst HC tags won't help unless he's promised the full promotion in the near term... and that requires a willing transitional HC be hired now.

Someone will see through his "bumpkin" facade (probably a southern team) ala the Oilers once upon a time with Bum Phillips.

Only thing I worry about promoting Freddie all the way to HC is it too much too fast? And if he does become the HC, how much time would he be able to spend running the offense?  

30 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Only thing I worry about promoting Freddie all the way to HC is it too much too fast? And if he does become the HC, how much time would he be able to spend running the offense?  

Same way McAvy does for LAR...

Sit by your QB when your D is on the field and leave the game to your DC. It's the one thing... well, one of many things... Hue did wrong his first two years.

McVay has Wade Phillips.... Kitch could still have GW.

Can even add a "bench coach" to help manage TOs, Challenges, etc...

There are questions that need answering to be sure Kitch can organize well enough to be an HC, but those are M-Sat questions... Sunday is easy.

Archived