THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike McCarthy Approached

darren15

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Who gives a shit if it’s the Super Bowl or a pre-Super Bowl championship they’re all just championships. it don’t mean shit when they were won. Ween Ewbank isthe only guy in history who won championships with two different teams. just because you’re young and dumb doesn’t mean things didn’t happen before your sorry ass was born. 

Because we are awarded super bowl championships now. Coaches are now judged on super bowl championships like for instance on the list of multiple super bowl victories ewbank is not on there and most importantly my fucking question was how many coaches have coached a team to a "super bowl win" and then went to coach a different team to another one. In your little trivia threads if you ask a question and i answer it with outside of the specs of the question because of how I interpret things it doesn't make it right. It's not even called the same league man. AFL and NFL. Which in one of my posts it says first "NFL" coaching gig. Be like you asking what coach has won the most AFL championships and I say Bill Belichick's won 5. The answer to my question is still is 0 regardless of what your old curmudgeon ass wants it to be. Whether you like it or not they are separate categories. AFL championships and Super Bowl World (NFL) Championships. 

If my question were who is the only coach to coach both in AFL and NFL championship team then WEEB Ewbank would a viable (and correct answer).

18 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Because we are awarded super bowl championships now. Coaches are now judged on super bowl championships like for instance on the list of multiple super bowl victories ewbank is not on there and most importantly my fucking question was how many coaches have coached a team to a "super bowl win" and then went to coach a different team to another one. In your little trivia threads if you ask a question and i answer it with outside of the specs of the question because of how I interpret things it doesn't make it right. It's not even called the same league man. AFL and NFL. Which in one of my posts it says first "NFL" coaching gig. Be like you asking what coach has won the most AFL championships and I say Bill Belichick's won 5. The answer to my question is still is 0 regardless of what your old curmudgeon ass wants it to be. Whether you like it or not they are separate categories. AFL championships and Super Bowl World (NFL) Championships. 

Pete Carroll and Mike Holmgren each won a SB.. Do they suck too?  How bout Tony Dungy...?

20 minutes ago, nickers said:

Pete Carroll and Mike Holmgren each won a SB.. Do they suck too?  How bout Tony Dungy...?

Nowhere do I say they suck. They are a super bowl winning coach of course they don't suck. I do however say that I don't want a super bowl-winning retry cuz it's so far been proven that they won't win another Superbowl with a separate team. Funny bring up Pete Carroll I was going to edit my post and say why stop it Weeb ewbank with an AFL and NFL Championship why not include Pete Carroll with the NCAA and NFL Championship. I'm not saying AFL is NCAA but I am saying they are two separate championships. But please show me where I said anything about any of these coaches sucking? You won't find it anywhere but go ahead and put words in my mouth because you presume you know what I think.

50 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

If my question were who is the only coach to coach both in AFL and NFL championship team then WEEB Ewbank would a viable (and correct answer).

Quick question dude, why’s it named the Lombardi trophy?

43 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Quick question dude, why’s it named the Lombardi trophy?

Follow-up question was the AFL championship trophy named the Lombardi trophy?

Also it wasn't officially named the Lombardi trophy until Super Bowl 5 and they named that because Lombardi won the first two Super Bowls. 

15 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Ole Vince would probably have punched you in the nose for even asking that one.

I edited my previous post. It wasn't officially named Lombardi trophy until after Super Bowl 5. And they named it that do to Lombardi Winning the first two Super Bowls.  It was originally named the World Championship Game Trophy. The reason I asked that question is because it clearly wasn't called the Lombardi trophy because they are not the same championship. I assumed you were asking me that thinking that was named after Vince Lombardi's perceived AFL success therefore meaning they're the same thing? If I am wrong in that I apologize that would be me putting words in your mouth much like nickers did mine.

4 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I edited my previous post. It wasn't officially named Lombardi trophy until after Super Bowl 5. And they named it that do to Lombardi Winning the first two Super Bowls.  It was originally named the World Championship Game Trophy. The reason I asked that question is because it clearly wasn't called the Lombardi trophy because they are not the same championship. I assumed you were asking me that thinking that was named after Vince Lombardi's AFL success therefore meaning they're the same thing? If I am wrong in that I apologize that would be me putting words in your mouth much like nickers did mine.

They named it the Lombardi trophy because he died of cancer in the previous year. It had nothing to do with him winning the first 2 AFL/NFL World Championship Game. Baltimore won the very first title with the “Superbowl” moniker. 

Boy do I feel dumb!

6 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

They named it the Lombardi trophy because he died of cancer in the previous year. It had nothing to do with him winning the first 2 AFL/NFL World Championship Game. Baltimore won the very first title with the “Superbowl” moniker. 

Boy do I feel dumb!

It was officially renamed in 1970 in memory of NFL head coach Vince Lombardi, who led the Packers to victories in the first two Super Bowl games, after his death from cancer.[1][5]It was thus presented for the first time as the Vince Lombardi Trophy in Super Bowl V when the Baltimore Colts defeated the Dallas Cowboys 16-13. Regardless this whole thing started because I asked if there has ever been a head coach to win a Superbowl with two different franchises as the head coach of both. After i said 0 gip tried to prove his football knowledge basically telling me no "ween ewbank" did. When I brought up my question was directly. Super Bowls and AFL championships and Super Bowls are not the same thing that's what started this whole conversation. And they are not the same thing

so, the moniker superbowl seemed to be the semantical base of this discussion....yet, the AFL/NFL Championship wasn't officially the Superbowl till Superbowl V.  think this easily dismisses the notion that pre-superbowl championships dont matter because the games had a different name.  championship is a championship...

try telling packers fans SB I&II victories dont matter because the name was different...lol  they still list their NFL championships on their site

7 minutes ago, choco said:

so, the moniker superbowl seemed to be the semantical base of this discussion....yet, the AFL/NFL Championship wasn't officially the Superbowl till Superbowl V.  think this easily dismisses the notion that pre-superbowl championships dont matter because the games had a different name.  championship is a championship...

try telling packers fans SB I&II victories dont matter because the name was different...lol  they still list their NFL championships on their site

But only because that week had Two Tuesday’s in it. As a side note, that’s where the whole twofer thing started too....lol

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Because we are awarded super bowl championships now.

A Super Bowl is just another championship....just a marketing name...nothing more.

Coaches are now judged on super bowl championships

Only because most of the pre Super Bowl winning coaches are dead.

like for instance on the list of multiple super bowl victories ewbank is not on there

Again...just a marketing/media creation....not having any substance other than being something for simple minds.  Weeb Ewbanks titles won as HC of the Colts does not disappear from history simply because simple minded people exist.

and most importantly my fucking question was how many coaches have coached a team to a "super bowl win" and then went to coach a different team to another one.

Who says I am obligated to comply with your   criteria.  Again...you are not going to take away the fact that Weeb Ewbank is the only guy to win championships with two different teams.

In your little trivia threads if you ask a question and i answer it with outside of the specs of the question because of how I interpret things it doesn't make it right.

Fine...and I gave you the answer within your specs.... I said, Parcells, Holmgren.  but then I supplemented the answer with the full facts/truth.

It's not even called the same league man. AFL and NFL.

Uhm, it has been called the NFL since 1922.  

Which in one of my posts it says first "NFL" coaching gig. Be like you asking what coach has won the most AFL championships and I say Bill Belichick's won 5. The answer to my question is still is 0 regardless of what your old curmudgeon ass wants it to be. Whether you like it or not they are separate categories. AFL championships and Super Bowl World (NFL) Championships. 

Don't know what fucking planet you live on....or perhaps it is just your ignorance of history.  The NFL has been around since 1920...and has been named the NFL since 1922.    

The AFL...started in 1960....and merged with the NFL in 1970....and the league still was named the NFL.  Do you seriously not know this?

You are either completely confusing yourself....or...you really, really do NOT know the history.  So I will give you the actual facts:

A. NFL formed 1920 in the Huppmobile dealership in Canton, Ohio.  Called first the APFA.... American Professional Football Association. In 1922 changed name to National Football League.  NFL Championship games did not start being played officially until 1933.

B. 1946-1949  NFL  was not the only league....the AAFC, including the Cleveland Browns began play.  AAFC and NFL play separate title games.

C. 1950  NFL and AAFC merge.....Browns/49ers/Colts added from AAFC to NFL.  Browns win NFL titles.

D. 1960...an other league, the American Football League begins play.  NFL and AFL play separate Championship games.

E. 1966  NFL and AFL agree to a merger and agree to play a single Championship game between them starting in 1966 called the NFL-AFL Championship game.

F. The NFL-AFL  championship game  is held for 4 years:  1966 (Packers vs. Chiefs) 1967 (Packers vs. Raiders)  1968  (Jets vs. Colts) 1969 (Chiefs vs. Vikings.)  

G. 1970 Full merger is completed between the two leagues.  Browns/Steelers/Colts switch from being NFL teams to being AFC teams. (new alignment has conferences:  NFC and AFC).    The Championship game between the now 2 "conferences"  is given the name Super Bowl...named by Lamar Hunt after a toy his children played with (Super Ball).   First actual "Super Bowl" game as it was called was between the Colts and the Dallas Cowboys.     The 4 NFL-AFL  Championship games were then retroactively also give the name "Super Bowls".

And just to complete the accurate story:  Weeb Ewbank  coached the Baltimore Colts to NFL Championship game wins in 1958 and 1959.  He later coached the New York Jets to victory in an NFL-AFL Championship game over those Colts in 1968. 

IF by chance you want to ask...is there a coach who won an AFL championship game...and an NFL Championship game....technically, the answer is:  no one.    Ewbank won NFL championship games..and an NFL-AFL championship game.  

No coach ever won an AFL championship game, circa 1960-1965...AND an NFL Championship game..(circa 1933-1965)

But.  Hank Stram  WON an AFL title in 1962 and did lose one NFL-AFL championship game....in 1966, and won an NFL-AFL title in 1969. 

Now you can consider yourself educated.

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

Follow-up question was the AFL championship trophy named the Lombardi trophy?

Also it wasn't officially named the Lombardi trophy until Super Bowl 5 and they named that because Lombardi won the first two Super Bowls. 

Again, you still sound completely confused or ignorant of what constitutes the AFL and the NFL.

Technically, there were only SIX stand alone AFL championship games/winners:   1960/61 Houston Oilers  1962 Dallas Texans , 1963 San Diego Chargers,  1964/65 Buffalo Bills.

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Gip all that is fine and dandy my question was who was the only coach to win a Superbowl and then lead a team to another win and not answer is still 0 you can try and act all high and mighty but it doesn't fucking matter. The odds of us hiring a super bowl-winning coach and then that coach win another Superbowl with our team is significantly lower then hiring a retread that hasn't won a Superbowl or a first-time NFL head coach based on the history of "super bowl-winning" coaches which has been my point the entire time. Whether you agree or disagree with basing odds off of what has happened in the past that's on you I tend to use historical data to try and predict the best chances of hiring a super bowl-winning coach.

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

I edited my previous post. It wasn't officially named Lombardi trophy until after Super Bowl 5. And they named it that do to Lombardi Winning the first two Super Bowls.  It was originally named the World Championship Game Trophy. The reason I asked that question is because it clearly wasn't called the Lombardi trophy because they are not the same championship. I assumed you were asking me that thinking that was named after Vince Lombardi's perceived AFL success therefore meaning they're the same thing? If I am wrong in that I apologize that would be me putting words in your mouth much like nickers did mine.

You are wrong about this fact:  Vince Lombardi never coached in the AFL.

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You are wrong about this fact:  Vince Lombardi never coached in the AFL.

Why I put "perceived success" after edit because I was assuming he was talking about some success Lombardi had in the AFL that he thought he had but it wasn't clear

4 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Get all that is fine and dandy my question was who was the only coach to win a Superbowl and then lead a team to another win and not answer is still 0 you can try and act all high and mighty but it doesn't fucking matter.

Well, I answer your question right at the outset. And then I educated you further to the facts.  

And, I guess I further educated you on what the hell was the AFL vs. the NFL.  

I mean...if that does not matter to you....I suggest you discontinue watching the sport of football.

The odds of us hiring a super bowl-winning coach and then that coach win another Superbowl with our team is significantly lower then hiring a retread that hasn't won a Superbowl or a first-time NFL head coach based on the history of "super bowl-winning" coaches which has been my point the entire time. Whether you agree or disagree with basing odds off of what has happened in the past that's on you I tend to use historical data to try and predict the best chances of hiring a super bowl-winning coach.

That is a whole different matter.  While no coach has ever won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams (circa 1966 to present), that doesn't mean it could not be done.  Guys like Parcells and Holmgren came close  A few other guys lost a Super Bowl with one team then won won with another: Vermeil,    A few guys lost SBs with 2 teams without winning...at least 2:  Reeves/Fox.  

2 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Why I put "perceived success" after edit because I was assuming he was talking about some success Lombardi had in the AFL that he thought he had but it wasn't clear

Well...I perceived that it was you who thought that the NFL didn't exist until 1970.

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well...that is clearly debatable.

Paul Brown was IMO a way more influential head coach. I don't think its comparable - Paul Brown progressed the game of football far more than Vince Lombardi. I believe his coaching tree is far more impressive too. 

But if my life relied on the outcome of one football game, I have Vince Lombardi as my head coach, without even a thought. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Paul Brown was IMO a way more influential head coach. I don't think its comparable - Paul Brown progressed the game of football far more than Vince Lombardi. I believe his coaching tree is far more impressive too. 

But if my life relied on the outcome of one football game, I have Vince Lombardi as my head coach, without even a thought. 

That is clearly debatable. 

Vince Lombardi basically ran 5 plays.. up the middle.. Power right.. Power Left..  and a couple of short passes.. I'll take PB...

Archived