THE BROWNS BOARD

Kitchens And Williams

darren15

If the Browns hire Kitchens as HC would Williams agree to go back to being the DC ...I would think not given the current set up and wins ... I think Greg would be a little pissed off reverting to a position under a guy he currently is superior to in terms of the coaching set up .... I can see Kitchens as OC under Williams tho ....

I don't think this is a possibility. Like you said, I only see Kitchens keeping the job as OC and Williams staying at HC.

I don't know why the offensive mind has to be the HC even if we have a franchise QB in Mayfield and I don't see any team hiring Kitchens as HC after only 8 games as OC. 

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

I don't think this is a possibility. Like you said, I only see Kitchens keeping the job as OC and Williams staying at HC.

I don't know why the offensive mind has to be the HC even if we have a franchise QB in Mayfield and I don't see any team hiring Kitchens as HC after only 8 games as OC. 

because there is thought in some quarters that Kitchens stock is rising very quickly, and even if he's OC, he could be interviewed and hired as a head coach in the future. 

If you want to keep Kitchens, perhaps at the expense of Greg Williams, then the thinking goes to hire him as HC.   This especially appeals to the people that want an offensive minded head coach. 

I believe the best foot forward is the combination of Gregg Williams, the present, and Freddie Kitchens, the future. Name Williams the head coach and Kitchens the Associate Head Coach, with the belief he'll take over after Williams. Give them both pay raises and let Williams slide into some sort of front office situation when he's done coaching. He's had three decades in the NFL, there is value with that.

Go outside the box. Josh McDaniels is the Patriots next coach but Bill Belichick is their current Head Coach. Ozzie Newsome is General Manager Emeritus and will slide into another front office role next season, when the current Ravens' AGM takes over.

The Browns have not gone 5-2 over a seven game stretch since the start of the 1993 season (the 2014 season they started 5-3 and finished abysmally). Whatever is happening now is working and the most Browns thing to do would be to try to get too cute and overthink the situation.

I'd hate to see either one leave, I really appreciate the winning.

11 minutes ago, mohican said:

because there is thought in some quarters that Kitchens stock is rising very quickly, and even if he's OC, he could be interviewed and hired as a head coach in the future. 

If you want to keep Kitchens, perhaps at the expense of Greg Williams, then the thinking goes to hire him as HC.   This especially appeals to the people that want an offensive minded head coach. 

I don't see any team that desperate.

He has led the offense 8 games, no playoffs, no miracles that make you think of a consistent offensive mastermind. He is new so there's not much tape on his offense and everyone knows so. 

I love the guy, but not even we know what his caliber is as an OC (though he's promising).

And I've seen enough Defensive HC matchup with good QBs for a nice successful run, so the offensive masstermind is not a must.

10 minutes ago, Nero said:

I don't see any team that desperate.

He has led the offense 8 games, no playoffs, no miracles that make you think of a consistent offensive mastermind. He is new so there's not much tape on his offense and everyone knows so. 

I love the guy, but not even we know what his caliber is as an OC (though he's promising).

And I've seen enough Defensive HC matchup with good QBs for a nice successful run, so the offensive masstermind is not a must.

obviously he has been doing a great job with haley's playbook,doe's he continue with that or come up with something of his own

13 minutes ago, ATOM said:

obviously he has been doing a great job with haley's playbook,doe's he continue with that or come up with something of his own

They all pretty much run the same plays. Working with the QB and setting up a offensive game plan that works is cool and all but does not mean HC. Maybe down the road.  As far as being able to keep him like others worry about, that’s easy.....$$$$$$$$pay the man enough and he stays. 

14 hours ago, mohican said:

I agree.  Maybe it wouldn't be this year, but Freddy will get a HC gig soon.  The only way we keep him is to hire him as HC this year, even if it might be a year soon.

I don't agree that Gregg wouldn't stay, though we would probably have to give him a title promotion to associate HC and a nice raise in pay.  Even if we don't keep Williams, my hope is Haslam shows his appreciation and gives him a half a mil bonus....if that is possible.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I agree.  Maybe it wouldn't be this year, but Freddy will get a HC gig soon.  The only way we keep him is to hire him as HC this year, even if it might be a year soon.

I don't agree that Gregg wouldn't stay, though we would probably have to give him a title promotion to associate HC and a nice raise in pay.  Even if we don't keep Williams, my hope is Haslam shows his appreciation and gives him a half a mil bonus....if that is possible.

I think we can keep the staff as is pretty much intact this next year. Kitchens is doing a fine job but I gotta ask, how much of that is due to a HC that works with him as well as the QB. On his own, he might not be all that

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I think we can keep the staff as is pretty much intact this next year. Kitchens is doing a fine job but I gotta ask, how much of that is due to a HC that works with him as well as the QB. On his own, he might not be all that

Just don't fuk around. Promote Freddy to assistant head coach if you have to throw him a bone.

WSS

3 hours ago, nickers said:

If it ain't broke.. Lets not fix it...

But what does that entail?

Haslam walks into Dorsey's office and says, "I don't want you to hire your own coach.  I want Williams as HC and Kitchens as OC."

Then Dorsey walks into Williams' office and says, "You can be the HC but you can't hire your own OC.  It has to be Kitchens."

How do ya go about it?  Without it being a shotgun marriage?

5 hours ago, Orion said:

But what does that entail?

Haslam walks into Dorsey's office and says, "I don't want you to hire your own coach.  I want Williams as HC and Kitchens as OC."

Then Dorsey walks into Williams' office and says, "You can be the HC but you can't hire your own OC.  It has to be Kitchens."

How do ya go about it?  Without it being a shotgun marriage?

Quit acting like Tony Grossi... I saw that on the Red Zone and wanted to choke him...

On 12/26/2018 at 2:40 PM, darren15 said:

If the Browns hire Kitchens as HC would Williams agree to go back to being the DC ...I would think not given the current set up and wins ... I think Greg would be a little pissed off reverting to a position under a guy he currently is superior to in terms of the coaching set up .... I can see Kitchens as OC under Williams tho ....

You do know that we have a pretty good DC as it is. Why fuck up a good thing? Why is it people wanna bitch yet don’t even know who the coaching staff is? FYI, we have two rookie play callers and a experienced HC running things. 

On 12/26/2018 at 3:19 PM, Nero said:

I recently read an article about this situation that said Dorsey will have to find a way to keep emotion out of his decision. It's difficult because the team is playing well, the players are responding to coaches, and he doesn't want to screw up momentum. But the author said that Dorsey has to look through all of that and really try to look everywhere for a coach that could be even better than what we have now. We're an attractive destination (for once), and while I'll stop short of saying we can have any coach we want, I do think it's fair to say that we're the premier anticipated vacancy. More so than Green Bay. 

The author cited several examples of failed coaching rollovers, such as Mangini winning 3 or 4 in a row to end a year, and then coming back to completely suck. Romeo Crennell having that one magical year, and then coming back to reality and sucking balls. I forget the others, but you get the point. 

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I don't think you can bring back Gregg Williams if he's not going to be the head coach. Like, if we hired Arians and kept Kitchens as the OC, I don't believe Gregg could just go back to being the DC. I think it'd confuse the players, blur roles, and possibly screw up our team mojo. 

Could we keep everything the way it is now? We COULD, but I don't think we will. For one thing, if Dorsey WAS going to keep the status quo, he probably would have already announced it. I mean, why not? Your team is playing well, they're playing together, and you're winning games. I myself am kind of rooting for things to stay the same (new special teams coach though). Of course, I also wanted Hue Jackson to come back last year for the sake of continuity, so what do I freaking know? 

15 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I recently read an article about this situation that said Dorsey will have to find a way to keep emotion out of his decision. It's difficult because the team is playing well, the players are responding to coaches, and he doesn't want to screw up momentum. But the author said that Dorsey has to look through all of that and really try to look everywhere for a coach that could be even better than what we have now. We're an attractive destination (for once), and while I'll stop short of saying we can have any coach we want, I do think it's fair to say that we're the premier anticipated vacancy. More so than Green Bay. 

The author cited several examples of failed coaching rollovers, such as Mangini winning 3 or 4 in a row to end a year, and then coming back to completely suck. Romeo Crennell having that one magical year, and then coming back to reality and sucking balls. I forget the others, but you get the point. 

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I don't think you can bring back Gregg Williams if he's not going to be the head coach. Like, if we hired Arians and kept Kitchens as the OC, I don't believe Gregg could just go back to being the DC. I think it'd confuse the players, blur roles, and possibly screw up our team mojo. 

Could we keep everything the way it is now? We COULD, but I don't think we will. For one thing, if Dorsey WAS going to keep the status quo, he probably would have already announced it. I mean, why not? Your team is playing well, they're playing together, and you're winning games. I myself am kind of rooting for things to stay the same (new special teams coach though). Of course, I also wanted Hue Jackson to come back last year for the sake of continuity, so what do I freaking know? 

You’re wrong on one thing. Dorsey said that he will not address the HC situation until the season is over. And he has stuck to that. Everyone else wants to put words in Dorsey’s mouth. He’s remained silent 

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Dorsey said that he will not address the HC situation until the season is over. And he has stuck to that. Everyone else wants to put words in Dorsey’s mouth. He’s remained silent 

read somewhere, Dorsey will have a presser Monday morning 9am..kinda think Haslam will be sitting to his left. the less Jimma's chitletts move the better..Baker in his best Dorsey sweater to his right would be awesome :)  

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

You’re wrong on one thing. Dorsey said that he will not address the HC situation until the season is over. And he has stuck to that. Everyone else wants to put words in Dorsey’s mouth. He’s remained silent 

That's a fair point. I guess I was just saying that perspectives can change, and Dorsey reserves the right to change his mind if he wants to. But you're right, he said he'd address it after the season and he generally sticks to his word. Man, how good does it feel to have a GM you believe in? You know what also feels good? I literally haven't looked at one single mock draft all year. I can't even THINK of the last time that happened. :)

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

That's a fair point. I guess I was just saying that perspectives can change, and Dorsey reserves the right to change his mind if he wants to. But you're right, he said he'd address it after the season and he generally sticks to his word. Man, how good does it feel to have a GM you believe in? You know what also feels good? I literally haven't looked at one single mock draft all year. I can't even THINK of the last time that happened. :)

It’s actually funny. So many people saying this or that. But the ones that really matter haven’t uttered a peep about it. My feeling is that presser that’s scheduled will be to announce that we’re standing pat on our coaching staff. I know Haslam’s an idiot but is he so stupid as to blow up the best thing that’s happened to the Browns coaching staff  in 25 years or so? 

Archived