THE BROWNS BOARD

We Need To Keep Lamar Jackson In The Pocket

nickers

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dutch Oven said:

A power point arguing that whitey's got wheels. 

Not even kidding, that made my year... 🤣

Well, I could have asked Gipper to (in another sport where speed matters, like the NFL wide receiver position) research the ratio of white guys to black dudes. John Ross set the record in the 40 at the combine this year, and guess what color he is.  :D  

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Well, I could have asked Gipper to (in another sport where speed matters, like the NFL wide receiver position) research the ratio of white guys to black dudes. John Ross set the record in the 40 at the combine this year, and guess what color he is.  :D  

Mocha? 😁

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just stop with this argumentative crap Gipper, there was a thing called segregation, and even more recently apartheid in South Africa.  Those records (yeah, they're records, that's about it) from the 1800s and early 1900s are even less relevant to today's track athletes than the style of football the Canton Bulldogs were playing in the 1920s to today's NFL. What some white guy did 120 years ago in the Olympics, has sqatoosh bearing on the modern era, 

Color doesn't matter anymore, so see any white guys here?    

I was not arguing....I was just giving you the facts, ma'am. I understand perfectly what you are saying, and it was my point as well.  Blacks were not given the opportunity or training before Jesse Owens came along.

But, hey...isn't it considered politically incorrect, even racist to assert that blacks have a genetic advantage when it comes to certain kinds of athletic ability?    Even though.....as you note.....the last several 100 meter Olympic races involved all blacks?   And there has not been a white cornerback in the NFL since like Jason Sehorn of the early 90s.

37 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I did it with the cornerbacks...see above.  

41 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Mocha? 😁

Quick perusal, the ratio top 10 wrs is 8:2.   

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I was not arguing....I was just giving you the facts, ma'am. I understand perfectly what you are saying, and it was my point as well.  Blacks were not given the opportunity or training before Jesse Owens came along.

But, hey...isn't it considered politically incorrect, even racist to assert that blacks have a genetic advantage when it comes to certain kinds of athletic ability?    Even though.....as you note.....the last several 100 meter Olympic races involved all blacks?   And there has not been a white cornerback in the NFL since like Jason Sehorn of the early 90s.

Nope political correctness aside, obvious in certain respects our black friends are genetically superior. Not just speed, endurance too. those 110 pound Kenyan guys dominate the Marathons. 

Only sport (that requires a lot of athletic ability- and I still don't consider golf a sport) I can think of where the preponderance of athletes aren't black is tennis. And we have the Williams sisters as evidence with the right training and desire, they'd dominate there too.  :)  I don't follow baseball at all, so no comment there...   

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just stop with this argumentative crap Gipper, there was a thing called segregation, and even more recently apartheid in South Africa.  Those records (yeah, they're records, that's about it) from the 1800s and early 1900s are even less relevant to today's track athletes than the style of football the Canton Bulldogs were playing in the 1920s to today's NFL. What some white guy did 120 years ago in the Olympics, has sqatoosh bearing on the modern era, 

Color doesn't matter anymore, so see any white guys here?    

McCaffrey was preparing to play for the Carolina Panthers that day.🤸‍♂️

18 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Here is an article I agree with. Chokers. They have Tarkenton as the #6 all-time choker. Kelly, Fouts and Marino. Tarkenton really did single-handedly lose 4 SBs. He had so many chances in those games to make a play.

Stinkenhiemer #1 NFL choker? Absolutely, Man, I hate that sonofabitch. 

Seeing that  Tarkenton only played in three super Bowls I question your credibility on this. Joe Kapp was the quarterback for one of those Viking losses

On 12/26/2018 at 4:50 PM, jiggins7919 said:

To be honest, Lamar Jackson doesn't scare me. What scares me is the Ravens' defense. The Ravens haven't been winning shootouts, they've been winning because their defense is putting the squadoosh down on fools. 

It's the combo... run-centric offense and staunch Defense. The former was not a part of our 12-9 win back in early October in Baker's coming out party when the Raven's D sacked him 5 times.

Our biggest change since then is Chubb, who had no chunk plays in his limited role the first go 'round.

Their biggest change is Jackson.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:53 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I'd play zone vs them. Keep everyone's eyes on him, make him read coverages and make smart throws.

Bingo! We turn our backs in Man and he's 15 yards downfield before we're the wiser....

On 12/26/2018 at 9:30 PM, MLD Woody said:

Pep is probably our best option to spy Lamar

But our best option to slow down Lamar is probably our DEs playing contain and pressuring him up the middle. Our edge defenders have to be smart and not get sucked in. 

Agree on Pep as our spy, but I think we have to design in some "blown contains" to bait Jackson into taking off into Pep's arms. Especially to Jackson's left...

So rush Garrett wide, cheat Pepper to the D's right and let the lane develop. Gives two shots at Jackson... MG, if he beats Stanley clean, and Pep, if Jackson flushes.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:39 AM, hoorta said:

Yeah, Ghoolie's Black Tarkenton is a better fit.

See below...

On 12/27/2018 at 1:38 PM, Ghoolie said:

So, my phrase, "Black Tarkenton" strike some as being racist, it is not, and I am not.

Correct, not a racial comment. But also not a correct one.

You seem to know something of Takenton's career, so it's odd that you cling classifing him as a running QB.

What really scares me is the way our team played against the Texans defense on the road. Also, we haven't fared well against teams playing well, either. The Texans, Chiefs, Chargers...all teams on streaks, and all teams that gave us the business. It's one thing to beat a team like the Bengals that stepped on their Johnson, but it's something entirely different to beat a team at their house fighting to get into the playoffs. We didn't compete in some of the nastier games, and even if we don't win this weekend, I want to see us BRING IT. It'll be a terrific learning experience for Baker because it's not really going to get much tougher than this. 

48 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

What really scares me is the way our team played against the Texans defense on the road. Also, we haven't fared well against teams playing well, either. The Texans, Chiefs, Chargers...all teams on streaks, and all teams that gave us the business. It's one thing to beat a team like the Bengals that stepped on their Johnson, but it's something entirely different to beat a team at their house fighting to get into the playoffs. We didn't compete in some of the nastier games, and even if we don't win this weekend, I want to see us BRING IT. It'll be a terrific learning experience for Baker because it's not really going to get much tougher than this. 

Baker will be fine.. He's fearless.. We contain Jackson.. the game is over...

First time in 4 seasons, I chose not to do the Baltimore amtrak game trip. Saw early, Last game of the season, after Xmas,End of December ☃️f'n buurrr! But man,now i feel like "damn u big dummy" with now cloudy skies, low of 34 degrees. I can hear PaPa Tom, you damm whimp. Who would have thought, with Hue still around, Browns could be taking a chit on the place that Art built. Or the steelqueers? a win/win in my book. That place will be bat chit crazy loud just as Denver was, so we should still be prepared for the crowd noise. Our Offense is not what bothers me anymore. Ravens only giving up 17 points per game does. And that D is playing at it's best all season.I'll be blunt, We can't count on our place kicking. We can't count on ST's & they owe us a blocked punt or FG at some point this game. D.Ward got them. So, It's time for Gregg Williams to lock this HC'ing position by beating a division rival with his defensive scheme. Not having D.Ward with Lamar working the outside edges clearly won't help. Lamar won't be hard to find. He'll be in the pistol formation with 1 of 3 guys coming out of the exchange with the ball. The Defensive front does not have to chase around after this guy. They just need to be the outside vises to clamp Lamar in the pocket. Williams has to have his unit committed to who's assignment is who's.Shobert has to be the vocal leader of the unit. If we hear the words missed tackles or a defensive miscommunication..were screwed!!   tackle well like that Denver game? We can do this..Brns.-17  Birds-13..and your welcome Tomlin, till your done the following week..          

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

See below...

Correct, not a racial comment. But also not a correct one.

You seem to know something of Takenton's career, so it's odd that you cling classifing him as a running QB.

Tour, I would yield that there is a distinction between a running QB, and a scrambling QB, and that on overall examination it seems I have lumped them both together.

On one hand, of course, I know the difference. On the other hand, to a great extent, I believe, whether the QB is a running QB ( or Run First QB), or just a scrambler, honestly, the end result in performance is the exact same. The euphemism that "one cannot serve two masters" sheds light on the problem.

If there was some technology, an audible alarm, mounted in an earpiece that could somehow tell the QB when the outcome for the run was better than for the pass, the "Tarkenton" could be very reliable and effective. Alas, no such instrument exists and the balance between feet-fleeing, or hanging in to pass, under the pressure of live games, I believe, leaves this type of QB in a mental limbo, not really knowing which option to pursue.

I remember watching Tarkenton, and even Kordell Stewart. Many times you could see that before Tark ever has back in the pocket, his head was moving, looking for a running/scrambling outlet, before even setting to read his recievers.

I believe that from the time the ball is snapped, a"Tarkenton's mind is at work deciphering whether or not to pass. I think this dichotomy prevents this type of QB from ever really commanding the pass game. I believe this is why in very heated, pressure-filled games, the Tarkenton never has delivered and never will. 

I believe that if WIlliams throws different blitzes at Jackson all day long, Jackson will self destruct.

Let's see what happens.

Larmar has a short,stiff throwing motion.. He has shitty hitch steps I.E. Foot work.. He cannot throw to his left with any consistency.. Evreything it "to the right" for him.... You go 46 D and flood the right side. Send a different Pass rusher on each play.. And put your fastest defender on him (Peppers) spying on him..

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Larmar has a short,stiff throwing motion.. He has shitty hitch steps I.E. Foot work.. He cannot throw to his left with any consistency.. Evreything it "to the right" for him.... You go 46 D and flood the right side. Send a different Pass rusher on each play.. And put your fastest defender on him (Peppers) spying on him..

Blake is gonna throw the book at him, then beat him about the head with it

When you face a running QB, sometimes you can do everything right and still get hurt. That's kind of what I see happening tomorrow, but another key is red zone defense. We hold them to 3, we can win. Very similar to our last game with them. We got that one TD before half, and that was really the difference. And btw, that was a BEAUTIFUL drive by Baker Mayfield in a 2 minute scenario against a darn good defense, culminated by a killer TD toss to Higgins. 

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

When you face a running QB, sometimes you can do everything right and still get hurt. That's kind of what I see happening tomorrow, but another key is red zone defense. We hold them to 3, we can win. Very similar to our last game with them. We got that one TD before half, and that was really the difference. And btw, that was a BEAUTIFUL drive by Baker Mayfield in a 2 minute scenario against a darn good defense, culminated by a killer TD toss to Higgins. 

With Mayfield showing that he can run too but only when he has to. That would pose the same problem right back at the raisins wouldn’t it. Plus think of this... they have the vaunted D and we have nothing to lose. 

On 12/27/2018 at 10:23 AM, MLD Woody said:

Sam Arnold?

It's a joke. Ya gotta think fast to keep up with the Ghoolster.

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Bullshit. THe ONLY ones who get hurt by Black Tarkentons are Marty Clones and dummies who think the way to beat black Tarkenton is to contain him. Black Tarkentons are very, very, low on intelligence. They are dimwits, who if forced all game to leave the pocket will absolutely, WITHOUT FAIL.....

1) Make some great athletic plays

2) Throw bad passes and interceptions

3) Have a high probability of get hit hard, and getting fucked up

You DO NOT try to contain pieces of shit like Vick, Watson and Jackson. YOu get in their face from bell-to-bell knowing that they are NEVER going to consistently beat ANYONE with their arms or their brains. You let them have their highlight plays, but at the end of the day, they are LOSERS.

Lumbar Jackson isn't taking the Ravens anywhere. They only teams they will beat are the Marty Shittenhiemer faggots who are afraid to get after them. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz. Verbally abuse him, take some well planned later/borderline dirty hits and neutralize this picnic QB. Fuck the Ravens. Fuck Jackson and Fuck you snowflakes who are offended by swear words. What a bunch of **Mask** we have on this board.

9 hours ago, nickers said:

BINGO.................. Or, you can do like some of the homosexuals here have suggested. Powder his nuts and by all means, for the love of humanity, don't swear at him.

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Seeing that  Tarkenton only played in three super Bowls I question your credibility on this. Joe Kapp was the quarterback for one of those Viking losses

And if you followed my posts you will see that I corrected that BEFORE you did. HOWEVER....... in THREE SUPERBOWLS................. the run-first QB LOST ALL THREE...........with a lot of great players around him (Purple People Eater defense), AND PUT UP A WHOPPING 27 POINTS in THREE GAMES.

Fran Tarkenton was the Putney Swope of NFL QBs. He was a piece of shit.

On 12/26/2018 at 8:25 AM, Unsympathetic said:

Lamar Jackson doesn't deserve your hatred.  When you call him a superpredator, that just makes you the idiot -- not him.

He's one of the first round-1 draft picks in the modern era to negotiate a deal without an agent --- because he didn't want to lose the extra 3% the agent wanted.. his mom did the negotiations.  And his mom will be doing his endorsement deals as well -- because the agent take on endorsements is more than 3.  That's a smart business decision -- not crazy or wild.

As well, adidas asked him during one of the UL - FSU games to wear Yeezy cleats... but he turned them down because he demanded his entire team be able to wear them.

Dislike him all you want, but he's a good guy.

Fuck good guys. Fuck him.

On 12/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, hoorta said:

It's just the way it is. The black guys in general are faster. I don't remember a white guy ever running in the 100 in the Olympics. If one has, it's mighty rare.  

For years the Russian sprinters held a lot of the Olympic records.

On 12/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, hoorta said:

That's two in 45+ years (or 11 Olympics) = rare.  Break that down with # of competitors and I'd bet > 3%. 

WHites also are less likely to choose athletics as a career path. 

I think we all knew the meaning of the Black Tarkenton reference....even though Fran was more of a scrambler and wacky play extender.

I agree, we attack the QB like we do every week.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:48 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Myles Garrett continues to get the award for "almost had a sack".  Again, I'm not hating on Myles, but if the goal of the game was to get as CLOSE to the QB without actually bringing him down, he'd be the best of all time.  I've never in my life seen a guy "almost get a sack" so many times in one season,

I took a lot of heat for labeling him ZUMBA INSTRUCTOR, but if we are being honest, the moniker fits him very, very well. Much of my original contempt for him had to do with his public cock-sucking of Jerry Jones. But let's be realistic about him.

I blasted, and CONTINUE to blast those who create these MEANINGLESS stats like "QB hurries"...even IF it were true, what QB DOESN'T get pressure, or hurried? Can anyone show stats for the end result of this moronic " hurrying"? Who is inducted to the HOF based on hurrying the QB?

Myles is very fast and very athletic. However, he is an annoyance, not a disrupter. He will get his share of athletic sacks, but he is not a monster of the midway. Offensive Line schemes have effectively minimized Garrett's impact. Surely, you cannot say that in any one game he was a major factor in destroying a defense. Peppers and Ogbah have far more overall impact on the opposition than Garrett.

For Garrett to be effective the Browns must add a Brenston Buckner type bull. 

Myles is not Watt. He isn't Mean Joe, Eller or anything close. I still say he was a waste of a #1 #1. He is okay, but that's all he is, okay. When you have to make up a new statistic called " Almost Got to the QB", it is pretty clear that all I have said about him is true.

Keeping Lamar in the pocket is the exact way to destroy the Browns tomorrow.

Keeping Lamar in the pocket is the same Marty-ball that birthed " THE DRIVE"

Strategies to keep Lamar in the pocket are based on the fear of seeing him make some big plays, maybe big runs. Granted, in a close game, no matter what the D, an athletic QB like Jackson can indeed hurt you with a big play. So, what is your answer to that? Play him soft, let the opposing offense move the ball up and down the field all day long, wear out your defense, and enjoy yet ANOTHER heartbreak of watching your team fall apart in the 4th quarter?

It amazes me that decade-after-decade Browns fans suffer the consequences of this fucked up, cowardly "contain him" football, but yet come to the pregame, over-and-over-and-over asking for more of the same................ Contain Elway......Contain Ben.........Contain Kordell (49 -0 ring a bell?) Every time the Browns "contain" a mobile QB they go home ass fucked. THat so few here get this, and call for even MORE MORE MORE MORE self ass-fucking truly is ridiculous.

The way you beat black Tarkenton is to make him use his weakest skills............

Decision making, accuracy, patience and vision.

Let the fucker run. Let him take off. The more he runs, the more likely he is to fuck up or get fucked up. This piece of shit isn't Marino, Elway or Manning. Why give him all day to pass? Because you are afraid he will run? WTF is wrong with you people?

If Williams tries to "contain" Jackson, you can all do yourselves a favor and turn the game off because our defense will be destroyed. 

Contain = all day to pass = DB running around for 10 seconds each and every pass play = WRs coming wide open with all day to run around.

BLITZ................... kill the fucking QB.

HERE IS THE REALITY OF FOOBALL. HERE IS THE GREG WILLIAMS I WANT TO SEE. Fuck you all and your pussy, cowardly, faggot, containment football.

https://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2017/01/the_violent_controversial_past.html

Does this sound like a "containment" Coach? You want containment? Call this # 1 - 800 - PUSSIES

I want Williams ball. Go beat the fuck out of Black Tarkenton. Let the dumb Forrest Gump sonofabitch run all he wants.

28 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I took a lot of heat for labeling him ZUMBA INSTRUCTOR, but if we are being honest, the moniker fits him very, very well. Much of my original contempt for him had to do with his public cock-sucking of Jerry Jones. But let's be realistic about him.

I blasted, and CONTINUE to blast those who create these MEANINGLESS stats like "QB hurries"...even IF it were true, what QB DOESN'T get pressure, or hurried? Can anyone show stats for the end result of this moronic " hurrying"? Who is inducted to the HOF based on hurrying the QB?

Myles is very fast and very athletic. However, he is an annoyance, not a disrupter. He will get his share of athletic sacks, but he is not a monster of the midway. Offensive Line schemes have effectively minimized Garrett's impact. Surely, you cannot say that in any one game he was a major factor in destroying a defense. Peppers and Ogbah have far more overall impact on the opposition than Garrett.

For Garrett to be effective the Browns must add a Brenston Buckner type bull. 

Myles is not Watt. He isn't Mean Joe, Eller or anything close. I still say he was a waste of a #1 #1. He is okay, but that's all he is, okay. When you have to make up a new statistic called " Almost Got to the QB", it is pretty clear that all I have said about him is true.

Almost, sigh.. or is it because of rule changes that put skirts on QBs?

With listening to BK discuss current NFL defensive strategyy I wonder if almost is about as good as it’ll get.  You’re not going to stop the other team from scoring. You need to run a ball hawking turnover oriented defense now.  In the playoffs now, we got some high scoring Os facing other high powered offenses. Getting the ball a time or two more than the opponent is often the difference. And as it’s always been, turnovers are the biggest stat when it comes to wins and losses. Your D steals the ball more often than them, you win. Myles is quick off the line and a few of those almosts did result in a turnover 

Archived