THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Order

darren15

Seems so strange not seeing the Browns on the first 10 list of the draft order :)

Cardinals 3-12 

Raiders 3-11 

49ers 4-11 

Jets 4-11

Lions 5-10 

Giants 5-10 

Bills 5-10 7  

Buccaneers 5-10

Jaguars 5-10

Panthers 6-9

We would currently draft 17

3 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I really hope some of these QB prospects start picking up some steam. I really want to land one of those top DTs. Simmons, Oliver, Williams, and Brown all look really promising.

No chance at oliver and likely any of those names. With the exception of the jets and the giants, all those teams are going defense. 

We're in uncharted territory now, because of "just" baker....we're not picking top 10 for the duration of his tenure here. Thats a weird new world. Add all the other talent we have....we're not drafting top 20 for awhile. A year ago i would have accused someone of a heavy dose of lsd or shrooms for that statement.

We have to start looking at trade downs and acquiring players off their first or 2nd contracts. Its a new way of doing business. Patriots havent picked in the top 20 in what, 20 years? Or close to it......its insane

10 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

No chance at oliver and likely any of those names. With the exception of the jets and the giants, all those teams are going defense. 

We're in uncharted territory now, because of "just" baker....we're not picking top 10 for the duration of his tenure here. Thats a weird new world. Add all the other talent we have....we're not drafting top 20 for awhile. A year ago i would have accused someone of a heavy dose of lsd or shrooms for that statement.

We have to start looking at trade downs and acquiring players off their first or 2nd contracts. Its a new way of doing business. Patriots havent picked in the top 20 in what, 20 years? Or close to it......its insane

You are all about trading down and or out of the first round for some reason and i don't get it. Typically draft picks are only traded for draft picks. Especially during the draft itself. We are already a very young team so trading our first for more picks just gives us more young players. We don't need that. You keep citing the Patriots also. Since 2001 (18 years) the Patriots have made 17 first round selections. Four of those years being in the top 20 and three more were at 21. Four years they didn't have a choice 09 13 16 17. Two of those years their first round pick was stripped from them by the NFL (spygate & deflategate). Three years they had two draft picks last year, 2004 and 2012. Point is you don't get better not picking in the first round. We got better this year and for the foreseeable future by hitting on our first round draft picks not by trading them away.

Since 2001 they have traded up 4 times and down 5.

Also Merry Christmas Happy Holidays to all.

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

You are all about trading down and or out of the first round for some reason and i don't get it. l.

not necessarily, it's just an option depending on what's available...which we'll have no idea until draft day. There's certain positions we're ok at right now like WR, but I certainly wouldn't mind using the 1st pick on an athletic freak that might need a year to develop. But the big needs, the ones that Im convinced if we get the right guys in FA it will put us in the AFC championship picture....those needs aren't getting filled in this draft, not where we're picking. Certainly not D line and maybe not even O line. As there's some teams picking ahead of us that are projected to be taking OL. My point is, trading down for more draft stock so that we have future capital to trade "up"....might not be the worst idea. Cause we're not picking high in the draft again for the duration of Bakers stay in Clev. Unless he gets hurt, him and him alone is going to keep us in the middle to high draft order. Gone are the days of perennially picking in the top 5. 

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think they may.....QBs always do.

Except the year we took JM @ 22 overall. Only 1 QB before him and he sucks as well (Bortles @#3). I see this QB class about on par with that one where only 3 were taken in round 1 and only one was a high draft choice. Thank God we were looking last year and not this year.

We do NOT look at trade downs -- the margin of error actually decreases now.  We need to hit on those first-rounders because those are the foundational players.

For example this year I'd bet someone like Raekwon Davis or Dre'Mont Jones will fall to us.. if Devin White is sitting there you take him in a second.

Players like Jeffrey Simmons from MSU won't even fall..

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

We do NOT look at trade downs -- the margin of error actually decreases now.  We need to hit on those first-rounders because those are the foundational players.

For example this year I'd bet someone like Raekwon Davis or Dre'Mont Jones will fall to us.. if Devin White is sitting there you take him in a second.

Players like Jeffrey Simmons from MSU won't even fall..

I don't think White will fall to us, but if he does I totally agree he's a taker. Same goes for the "other" Josh Allen from Ky. He just might be there still.

Just throwing out as an idea, seeing as our draft # will likely be alot higher next year......if someone wants to trade up to our spot, why not trade down if theres no one of particular need available? Why not accumulate some draft picks in order to trade up higher in the draft next year? Maybe this isnt the year to do that, but at some point dont we have to consider it?

15 hours ago, GuNNerGatSKi said:

My lifelong dream is to draft 32nd.

.......without trading down. ;)

Yeah those #15-25 numbers seem so boring. Oh we got a RG out of Akron.....  :lol:

So it's really nice to start looking at our future draft picks coming up this upcoming April..HAIL!! WE MADE IT TO XMAS!! We do sit at pick #17 for now,with 11pick /trading options at my count. So in Rounds 1,2,4 & 6 we have single selections. A pair of 3rd round picks, Own 3.17 & Pats=Shelton 3.29ish pick for now. *Am seeing a lot of disputes in mock drafts in Rounds 5 & 7*. In 5th round we own 3 picks, We own Jags pick 5.5ish for C.Hyde. Are Own at 5.17.Pats pick 5.29 for J.Gordon. 1.) In dispute is the pick the browns owed Pats if Gordo was not active in 10 games. Am I right in saying, the NFL voided that clause in that trade? In the 7th round we may only see 1 pick of the 3 we had..7.8 would be the 7th rounder the Jags traded to Browns for Cody Kessler. 2.) From what i read, That trade voids Jags 7th rounder if Kessler was not on active roster for 6 games? Kessler is hurt, only playing in 3 games. We traded our 7.17th pick to Mia. in Landry deal. We still do own Pittsburgh 7.19th pick in trade of B.Coats. On to mixing to that last gin lemon & seven..can anyone clear up disputes 1.) or 2.) ?? thanks     

23 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

With the 32nd pick.. in the 2020 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select.... 😎

To quote the Beachboys.......🎵 "Wouldn't it be nice..." 

Mike      

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

*Am seeing a lot of disputes in mock drafts in Rounds 5 & 7*. In 5th round we own 3 picks, We own Jags pick 5.5ish for C.Hyde. Are Own at 5.17.Pats pick 5.29 for J.Gordon. 1.) In dispute is the pick the browns owed Pats if Gordo was not active in 10 games. Am I right in saying, the NFL voided that clause in that trade? In the 7th round we may only see 1 pick of the 3 we had..7.8 would be the 7th rounder the Jags traded to Browns for Cody Kessler. 2.) From what i read, That trade voids Jags 7th rounder if Kessler was not on active roster for 6 games? Kessler is hurt, only playing in 3 games. We traded our 7.17th pick to Mia. in Landry deal. We still do own Pittsburgh 7.19th pick in trade of B.Coats.can anyone clear up disputes 1.) or 2.) ??     

2.) Cody Kessler has played in 5 games & has been active in all 16 weeks at Jags..Thanks Jags, we will take that 7th round poker chip!! 1.) Sorry Pats, we will take your 5th for Gordo with nothing in return from us, but you were warned :excl:..I'll stick with 11 poker chips in the 2019 draft..Beating them Ravens comes first 👍..  

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The 2019 NFL Draft order won't be determined until after the season, but the Browns already know how many picks they have (so far). 

Here's a breakdown of the Browns' 2019 draft picks:

(This post was last updated Oct. 19, 2018, following the Carlos Hyde trade.)

2019 NFL DRAFT

First round: Own pick.

Second round: Own pick.

Third round: Own pick; Patriots' pick (via Danny Shelton trade).

Fourth round: Own pick.

Fifth round: Own pick; Jaguars' pick (via Carlos Hyde trade); Patriots' pick (via Josh Gordon trade).

Sixth round: Own pick.

Seventh round: Jaguars' pick (conditional via Cody Kessler trade); Chiefs' pick (conditional via Shon Coleman trade). 

You could package those 3 fifth rounders to move up to say, another 2d or 3rd rounder, no?   

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Btw why are we allowed to talk draft this week but nit last week....just curious

Who cares?  I usually do the "If the Playoffs ended today" weekly post, which includes a draft order discussion....but I didn't do it this week as it is the last week and the playoffs are all but set now, except for 3 spots;  and this thread usurped the one I would have done...

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Fifth round: Own pick; Jaguars' pick (via Carlos Hyde trade); Patriots' pick (via Josh Gordon trade).

You could package those 3 fifth rounders to move up to say, another 2d or 3rd rounder, no?   

Avery was taken in the 5th. I’m cool with having 3 fifth’s 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

According to the draft value chart, if you had the top 3 picks in round 5 you could trade them all and get the 2nd last pick in the 3rd round.

To me, the 3rd round is almost the same crap-shoot as the 5th round.   I think I'll take Dorsey and 3 cracks at it in the 5th round.

8 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Btw why are we allowed to talk draft this week but nit last week....just curious

Who knows...

Some of us can actually mult-task and talk in one thread about the upcoming game and in another about a DTackle who would go well with Ogunjobi… 😝

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The 2019 NFL Draft order won't be determined until after the season, but the Browns already know how many picks they have (so far). 

Here's a breakdown of the Browns' 2019 draft picks:

(This post was last updated Oct. 19, 2018, following the Carlos Hyde trade.)

2019 NFL DRAFT

First round: Own pick.

Second round: Own pick.

Third round: Own pick; Patriots' pick (via Danny Shelton trade).

Fourth round: Own pick.

Sixth round: Own pick.

Seventh round: Jaguars' pick (conditional via Cody Kessler trade); Chiefs' pick (conditional via Shon Coleman trade). 

2nd round might be a stretch.  3rd would probably be doable.  In a perfect world, we are able to trade those 5th's before the draft.  If we did that, I could see ways to get back in to the 1st round.  At this point it isn't about quantity IMO.  It's about get 2-3 nice players.  I really haven't studied the draft at this point.  I'd have to see how deep a class it is.  There might still be solid pickings in the 5th.  If so, just hold'em.  You can get good O-line in the 5th.  We will probably draft a QB to fill the TT void.  We should be able to find a nice QB to develop in to our back-up in a year or two after Stanton retires.  

Just thinking out loud, our 2nd rounder, our best 3rd rounder and a 5th would probably be enough to sneak back in to the bottom of the first round.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

According to the draft value chart, if you had the top 3 picks in round 5 you could trade them all and get the 2nd last pick in the 3rd round.

To me, the 3rd round is almost the same crap-shoot as the 5th round.   I think I'll take Dorsey and 3 cracks at it in the 5th round.

One word: Avery

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Just thinking out loud, our 2nd rounder, our best 3rd rounder and a 5th would probably be enough to sneak back in to the bottom of the first round.

I think you'd really have to like a guy that's maybe been falling down the draft order....but certainly we should have the assets to do it.

11 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Go with BPA and develope some depth. Honest depth. Then trust Dorsey to fill in blanks with FA signings. Nothing “cute” pick your spot and get out 

When the draft comes we'll already know what Dorsey did in FA.  It's certainly nice to be in a position of BPA than constantly having to insert a QB into the equation.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:46 PM, Clevfan4life said:

Because it isn't just we gotta trade down it's the best way, ad nauseum.  I let you have your say X2 on trading down in this thread without comment ( which I still think isn't happening if the player we like is there).  

14 hours ago, ballpeen said:

2nd round might be a stretch.  3rd would probably be doable.  In a perfect world, we are able to trade those 5th's before the draft.  If we did that, I could see ways to get back in to the 1st round.  At this point it isn't about quantity IMO.  It's about get 2-3 nice players.  I really haven't studied the draft at this point.  I'd have to see how deep a class it is.  There might still be solid pickings in the 5th.  If so, just hold'em.  You can get good O-line in the 5th.  We will probably draft a QB to fill the TT void.  We should be able to find a nice QB to develop in to our back-up in a year or two after Stanton retires.  

Dorsey's been great so far in the lower rounds. Very few teams are going to be interested in trading higher picks for a trifecta crapshoot in the 5th. 

Archived