THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Leaving the Patriots to Focus on Mental Health

jrb12711

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

EDIT: Just wow, just wow.  What do they say about a picture being worth a thousand words? Can we read Josh's mind? "Well I shouldn't do this, if I get caught, my career is probably over, but screw it, I DON'T CARE" that was a very expensive beer Mr. Gordon.  Nah they'll never test you at the wrong time Josh. If Gronk was around, he should have busted that beer bottle over Gordon's head to save him from another suspension. Of course Po's going to say it was just mango juice.  :)  

Well, how many times did he do something similar with the Browns?  Thanks for the 5th round pick Bill. He's your problem now. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think that Josh is forbidden from drinking a legal beverage. I think it has more to do with the illegal or legal, depending on where you live variety... I know most will say that he shouldn't even be drinking then- but he's human and no one is perfect. Good luck Josh. Pull it together and keep moving forward #12.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

DUDE, Can i have a little more dog shit sprinkles on my Crow? I was one who believed qe made q mistake.

HOWEVER....don't get mad if I tell.you this is enjoyable crow. My point is......YET ANOTHER INSTANCE.....THE BROWNS FO GOT IT RIGHT.

Draft, FA, Gordon, firing Hue, shit man, FINALLY, this team has management that doesn't need to listen to dickheads (like me).

I need something to wash these feathers down with. 

5 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

DUDE, Can i have a little more dog shit sprinkles on my Crow? I was one who believed qe made q mistake.

HOWEVER....don't get mad if I tell.you this is enjoyable crow. My point is......YET ANOTHER INSTANCE.....THE BROWNS FO GOT IT RIGHT.

Draft, FA, Gordon, firing Hue, shit man, FINALLY, this team has management that doesn't need to listen to dickheads (like me).

lol

Glad to see you own up.

In reality though, as much as I would like to pile on Josh, this could be a very depressing time in his life.  It's possible that this could cause him to spiral.  I hope someone is watching him.  He should probably check himself in somewhere for a while.    -  Or...maybe....he just doesn't give a $hit.

-----------------

My son, a Patriots fan texted me during the day after HE found out.  He was pissed about the time Josh was on the Patriots, taking up a roster spot, where someone else could've been there getting in sync with Brady and the team.   :)   He apparently has NO CLUE about what WE went through.

3 minutes ago, Orion said:

lol

Glad to see you own up.

In reality though, as much as I would like to pile on Josh, this could be a very depressing time in his life.  It's possible that this could cause him to spiral.  I hope someone is watching him.  He should probably check himself in somewhere for a while.    -  Or...maybe....he just doesn't give a $hit.

At this point.  He OBVIOUSLY doesn’t give a crap

13 minutes ago, Orion said:

lol

Glad to see you own up.

-----------------

My son, a Patriots fan texted me during the day after HE found out.  He was pissed about the time Josh was on the Patriots, taking up a roster spot, where someone else could've been there getting in sync with Brady and the team.   :)   He apparently has NO CLUE about what WE went through.

I don t wish Gordon bad. He is a good guy. He isn't hurting people or beating women. He just has an addictive make up. Nonetheless, Dorsey made the right call.

20 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I don t wish Gordon bad. He is a good guy. He isn't hurting people or beating women. He just has an addictive make up.

I hear ya.  But he's not too good with child support.  Being a paid NFL player for a bunch of years would've put his kids through college.  He's not a very responsible guy...and that's a big part of being a 'good guy'.

I was upset over the trade. I was thinking after all of what we put up with him and what he put us thru, WHY NOW get rid of him? But turned out to be the right move, I had him on my fantasy team until last week, I didn't start any Pat against Pisspuke but any way I don't wish him the best or wish him any harm. Gone and already forgotten about Josh what's his name.

3 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

So uhhh... Who’s back in the NFL first... Hunt or Gordon?

With rehabilitation and counseling , I say Hunt... But , it's all up to him.. I just want to ask.. Being as Joe Haden is a big pot smoker.. How come he hasnt been busted...?

8 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Gordon is doing the right thing. There is nothing to say that he's failed another test. He's suspended because he's taking a break and that violates his reinstatement. He could be reinstated in the offseason if things go well from here on out. The Patriots are okay with it and taking the time to get himself together before another relapse is a good sign of progress. These things take time and he's done an excellent job this season to remain on the field and producing well after the move. 

I would add that moving to a new town and being away from his children whom he just got back in his life must be taking a toll on the young man.

Got me to thinking...

My former employer (Chemical Industry) had a provision in its drug program where an employee who was randomly selected for testing and had reason to believe he would fail the test could choose to enter a program. The test was recorded as a "positive", but the employee was not terminated. I had a direct report choose this path once. I believe it was the only time it was used, but then these matters weren't exactly Bulletin Board material.

I wonder if the NFL has this provision...

If it does, then it's a more forgiving program than my company's was as with us it was a one shot deal and as we are all painfully aware this is the second time Josh has taken leave and been indefinitely suspended. But given the value of a player it's possible the league's program is more generous.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah it's sad that he can't control his demons. The scenario is NFL came up to him and in one hand had a check for $10+ million dollars, and in the other a blunt and a bottle of booze. Which one do you want more Josh?  Apparently the second option. 

Um, not exactly, but there's only one way to take this....   

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that Gordon is facing another indefinite suspension for violating terms of his reinstatement under the substance abuse policy, according to a source informed his status.

The league later confirmed the suspension:

"Effective today, Josh Gordon has been returned to the Reserve/Commissioner Suspended list indefinitely for violating the terms of his conditional reinstatement under the Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse."

Sorry Po, pull your head out of the sand. He flunked another drug test.

You are guessing, h. There are more certainly terms than test results.

WOW! Pretty amazing how more hand wringing is done for some back stabbing junkie that gives two shits about Cleveland than celebrating coming out of the dark ages which were caused by the likes of Gordon. He’s gone. Get over him and party like it’s the 80s. 

Fuck Gordon!!💉💊

Go Browns!!!!🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🐕🐕

On 12/20/2018 at 7:42 PM, jcam222 said:

I get the frustration with the guy and the personal responsibility falls squarely on him. That said what he needs is not about growing up. You do not keep mental illness or addiction in check by growing up. if only it were that easy.  As a human being I hope he finds his bottom without harm to him or others and makes it out .  

and what you posted is exactly true, I suppose. I know I don't get it. The addiction, i mean. Years ago, we had neighbors - the father was a hard core alcoholic. In the tumultous years before he left and they divorced, his mom would let her middle school son hang out with us on weekdays and evenings here and there. He ended up spending hours a week hanging out with us. With her permission, we ended up teaching him to handle a .22 rifle, shoot, safely...taught him to ride our ATV's safely, took him for hikes, taught him about the outdoors. Even took him to an auction or two. Taught him a lot about computers, working on a car.

He wrote to us after the divorce, and a few years after them moving and his mom remarrying. When they moved, she came over and hugged us, thanked us for spending all that time - she said the difference in him was night and day.

He said the years he spent so much time with us were the best times of his young life. He wanted to be a mentor one day, like we were to him. He still stops by once or twice every year, just to laugh and talk. Works hard, same job, has different cars over time, and has a girlfriend he says shares his same ideals...

His father finally beat addiction with alcohol and became a different person - remarried, was happy.

I just know about the hurt on others around the addicts, from what I"ve seen.

8 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think that Josh is forbidden from drinking a legal beverage. I think it has more to do with the illegal or legal, depending on where you live variety... I know most will say that he shouldn't even be drinking then- but he's human and no one is perfect. Good luck Josh. Pull it together and keep moving forward #12.

Po if you recall correctly one of his failed drug test was for alcohol where he didn't know he was still in season or that was his excuse he thought since they just play their last regular-season game he could have a drink on the plane. And when he himself has come out and said that he used to be drunk or high before every practice and game then obviously drinking was a part of the problem as well as smoking. The guy can't control himself. I wish him the best but my cousin's friend seeing him drink in the airport the day that he goes off to work on his mental health is not a good sign. He just had a very ugly breakup for the world to see on Instagram because his girlfriend said he couldn't keep his dick in his pants and I believe that might be the reason that he slipped up.

I hope that it's just your distance from the situation and the fact that you really want him to be a great football player that cloud your judgement and if you were ever closer to an addiction situation you wouldn't have the same Cavalier attitude because that I have to is the type that keeps people going and not getting the help they need.

5 hours ago, nickers said:

I just want to ask.. Being as Joe Haden is a big pot smoker.. How come he hasnt been busted...?

He's not in the system.  He's not stage 1, 2, 3 or stage left even.     All he has to do is have a clean system for the routine drug test that all the players get.  When that is I don't know.

5 hours ago, nickers said:

With rehabilitation and counseling , I say Hunt... But , it's all up to him.. I just want to ask.. Being as Joe Haden is a big pot smoker.. How come he hasnt been busted...?

I thought he got suspended a few games for adderall sometime back.  He might keep his smoking to the off season now

9 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

https://goo.gl/images/pTF5hr

10 hours ago, nickers said:

Joe is probably very smart about it. Players get tested like once a year so he probably burns it down after his test 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

In 5 years a guy like Gordon won't be tested, won't be suspended or anything.....unless he gets into some legal trouble....and unless there is some clear affect that the smoking of weed/drinking/wtfever  actually affects the on field performance.

And before penicillin people died from smallpox.

WSS

On 12/20/2018 at 5:14 PM, PoeticG said:

Gordon is doing the right thing. There is nothing to say that he's failed another test. He's suspended because he's taking a break and that violates his reinstatement. He could be reinstated in the offseason if things go well from here on out. The Patriots are okay with it and taking the time to get himself together before another relapse is a good sign of progress. These things take time and he's done an excellent job this season to remain on the field and producing well after the move. 

I would add that moving to a new town and being away from his children whom he just got back in his life must be taking a toll on the young man. 

Seriously does this mean that the Patriots own his rights next season or will he be a FA when he's reinstated? 

I'd love to have you as a sponsor at AA.

On 12/20/2018 at 5:14 PM, PoeticG said:

Seriously does this mean that the Patriots own his rights next season or will he be a FA when he's reinstated? 

That's actually a good question.  It's an accrued season for him.  I think that finally brings him to the end of his rookie contract, does it not?

Unless I am reading wrong, which is possible, then I will have to take up for one of Po's posts. I don't think he was suspended for alcohol, but I also don't think that is what anyone was saying.

But, while certainly not what someone with an issue should do, I assume by the picture that this was AFTER his suspension, so besides his personal health, I dont see him doing anything wrong there, hes already done. I dont drink, but nothing wrong with anyone on here (over 21 or on probation) having a drink, just cant have too much. 

I feel bad for Mr. Gordon, because it seems like he cant help it. He obviously started it, but since addiction is a chemical imbalance, I bet there are MANY people who are addicts who never had the 1st drink/drug to set it off. Just imagine that you and him could do the EXACT same thing, drink the same amount and use the same amount of drugs, you can stop, he cant. So those talking bad about the guy really shouldn't because you haven't walked in his shoes

4 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Unless I am reading wrong, which is possible, then I will have to take up for one of Po's posts. I don't think he was suspended for alcohol, but I also don't think that is what anyone was saying.

But, while certainly not what someone with an issue should do, I assume by the picture that this was AFTER his suspension, so besides his personal health, I dont see him doing anything wrong there, hes already done. I dont drink, but nothing wrong with anyone on here (over 21 or on probation) having a drink, just cant have too much. 

I feel bad for Mr. Gordon, because it seems like he cant help it. He obviously started it, but since addiction is a chemical imbalance, I bet there are MANY people who are addicts who never had the 1st drink/drug to set it off. Just imagine that you and him could do the EXACT same thing, drink the same amount and use the same amount of drugs, you can stop, he cant. So those talking bad about the guy really shouldn't because you haven't walked in his shoes

Again as I said the problem lies with the fact that Josh admitted himself and his interview with GQ Magazine that he would get drunk and high before every practice and game so drinking was a part of his problem. He is addicted to drinking like he is addicted to drugs so the fact that he is drinking afterwards shows that he is having a big lapse in judgment again after we assume failing a drug test. I really hope the guy gets his life in order and gets back on track everyone deserves that but he has to work for it I'm going back to the bottle or the ganja isn't what this young man needs.

23 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Got me to thinking...

You are guessing, h. There are more certainly terms than test results.

And it's a damn good educated guess Tour. In this case, past performance DOES indicate future results.  :)  

On 12/20/2018 at 9:53 AM, jrb12711 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

Well said!!!  Muchos Gracias!!!!  That reminds me.  Julian Edelman made it a point to say "Hey Cleveland - Thank you!"

Karma can get nastier than Mother Nature on the rag!  

10 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Again as I said the problem lies with the fact that Josh admitted himself and his interview with GQ Magazine that he would get drunk and high before every practice and game so drinking was a part of his problem. He is addicted to drinking like he is addicted to drugs so the fact that he is drinking afterwards shows that he is having a big lapse in judgment again after we assume failing a drug test. I really hope the guy gets his life in order and gets back on track everyone deserves that but he has to work for it I'm going back to the bottle or the ganja isn't what this young man needs.

And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasnt doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

Archived