THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Leaving the Patriots to Focus on Mental Health

jrb12711

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We already replaced him. His name is Breshad Perriman. 

Here's hoping Dorsey doesn't out-think himself.. a first-round WR already said he wants to be here long-term, just sign the guy already.

As to Gordon -- my bet is he was smoking to avoid thinking about something.. so take the weed away and you have to confront the demon.  With his talent I do hope he plays somewhere.. my guess is the structure/normality [for him] of football will help.

8 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

If that is in fact the issue then I wish him well.   Those aren't problems easily addressed. 

For sure, it has nothing to do with hoping the guy fails or doesn't recover. I just hope this makes people realize Dorsey and the powers that be realized his issues were ones that this organization couldn't fix, and it was time to let other players earn their spot.

I feel bad only because I supported and defended this kid.. And only wanted the best for him and our Browns.. But it has become abundantly apparent he does not want to help himself.. Another THIQ addict who must hit absolute rock bottom.. By that  I mean he must be shut out by everything... And everyone... He must wind up on the street like Joe Gilliam before he can even help himself.. And I do mean dirty, Funky,filthy rock bottom poor...

The league should stop giving a shit about Josh... He only cares about himself apparently... He apparently doesn't give a shit about anyone else.. But his meager habit...

In Dorsey we trust.  I know I was really frustrated when we traded him because I thought we could get some valuable time with an outside receiver, and his presence would help Landry dominate over the middle.  The main reason I was so upset with Josh being traded was I didn’t feel like it was fair to Baker Mayfield.  When we had that stretch of football where we lost several games in a row and our offense was struggling, I really felt like we needed someone like Gordon who could go up and make a play on the ball, or just have the ability to score from wherever.  It turns out that our player personnel wasn’t really the problem, and our COACHING was largely to blame for our offensive inadequacies.  I was completely wrong about the WR’s we had on the roster, and I don’t think the addition of Perriman can be overstated.  Like I said the other day, I’m not so sure that there’s not MORE Perriman can do for us, and I’d be beyond shocked if he wasn’t back next year.  We have two first round picks on our offense that were labeled as “busts”, but are now playing at a good level.  Both Greg Robinson and Breshad Perriman have found their confidence, and their abilities are starting to shine through. 

As far as Josh goes, I can’t say enough times how deeply sad this makes me.  There are few things in life as sad as wasted potential.  Mental illness and addiction don’t care who you are, they don’t care where you came from, and they have no mercy.  Josh didn’t do the things he needed to do in order to remain in the NFL, and I doubt he’ll get another chance.  I truly hope he gets the help he so desperately needs, and even if he can’t play in the NFL, I hope he finds happiness and health in the years to come. 

I'm not the avenging kind of person, but after reading a lot of people whinning about us trading Gordon out after the FO gave him his 10000000th chance, I want these people to come here, read this, and stop talking about him.

The Josh Gordon chapter is closed for the Browns, we can only wish him the best from now on. 

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

That's true for most people, but I believe that some people weren't upset of the trading away of JG per se, but rather the paltry compensation we received back in return for him. Dorsey was correct in trading him away, but I bet he could've received greater compensation than a 5th rounder.

57 minutes ago, nickers said:

I feel bad only because I supported and defended this kid.. And only wanted the best for him and our Browns.. But it has become abundantly apparent he does not want to help himself.. Another THIQ addict who must hit absolute rock bottom.. By that  I mean he must be shut out by everything... And everyone... He must wind up on the street like Joe Gilliam before he can even help himself.. And I do mean dirty, Funky,filthy rock bottom poor...

The league should stop giving a shit about Josh... He only cares about himself apparently... He apparently doesn't give a shit about anyone else.. But his meager habit...

A bit too much vitriol there.  Gordon has major issues, be they addiction issues,  mental issues etc.  I have no animosity toward him...it is what it is....and what it is was fairly predictable.  So, as has been said, let's just leave it go.

I mean, the biggest ramification this would have is that the Patriots now do not have someone there that they may have come to rely on, and that they may not be able to perform as well without his as they could have with him.   And that is NOT a consequence that I am going to cry about.

34 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

That's true for most people, but I believe that some people weren't upset of the trading away of JG per se, but rather the paltry compensation we received back in return for him. Dorsey was correct in trading him away, but I bet he could've received greater compensation than a 5th rounder.

On the contrary.  This consequence always seemed inevitable. I think Dorsey ...and the Browns, were extremely lucky to get a 5th rounder in compensation.

1 minute ago, choco said:

Don't think if he could have got more, he would have?

This is the exact reason he couldn't get more...one more slip up and Gordon is done forever.

I said that all along, Gordon's history of being unreliable and drug problems killed his trade value. For their 5th round pick the Patriots got 40 receptions, 720 yards, and 3 TDs. Not a bad return, but probably gonzo for the playoffs. 

Doubt Bill and New England will want him back, or anyone else for that matter. 

Congrats to Dorsey for moving on, and cutting our losses. He's not our problem anymore.  Hopefully the guy can get his life together, but that $800k he made this season will probably be gone in a year.

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I said that all along, Gordon's history of being unreliable and drug problems killed his trade value. For their 5th round pick the Patriots got 40 receptions, 720 yards, and 3 TDs. Not a bad return, but probably gonzo for the playoffs. 

Doubt Bill and New England will want him back, or anyone else for that matter. 

Congrats to Dorsey for moving on, and cutting our losses. He's not our problem anymore.  Hopefully the guy can get his life together, but that $800k he made this season will probably be gone in a year.

He can go to Canada and help JM out. His receivers drop the ball a lot.🙄

Just read the lines....and between the lines. The guy threw away a lifetime plus fortune plus all the other fame and perks for what? Sad story no matter how you look at it.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2811715-josh-gordon-stepping-away-from-nfl-to-focus-on-mental-health-thanks-patriots

Press

New England Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon announced Thursday that he is "stepping away from the football field" to focus on his mental health.

Gordon revealed the news in the following statement on Twitter:

Flash Gordon@JOSH_GORDONXII

https://t.co/omiQgO8IjE

In the statement, Gordon thanked Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, owner Robert Kraft and the Patriots organization for supporting him.

According to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, Gordon is facing an indefinite suspension by the NFL for "violating terms of his reinstatement under the substance abuse policy." ESPN's Adam Schefter added: "Final punishment yet to be decided, but Gordon not expected to play again this season or maybe ever again."

New England acquired the 27-year-old Gordon in a trade with the Cleveland Browns in September. The Pats sent a 2019 fifth-round pick to Cleveland as part of the deal.

In 11 games with the Pats this season, Gordon caught 40 passes for 720 yards and three touchdowns. He also made one grab for 17 yards and a touchdown in his only game with the Browns this season.

Gordon did not play at all in 2015 or 2016 due to multiple violations of the NFL substance abuse policy, but he did return to the Browns to appear in five games last season.

The 2013 Pro Bowler has officially been suspended on four different occasions for substance abuse issues, including a 10-game ban in 2014 and a 16-game suspension in 2015.......CONTINUED IN LINK.......

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

A bit too much vitriol there.  Gordon has major issues, be they addiction issues,  mental issues etc.  I have no animosity toward him...it is what it is....and what it is was fairly predictable.  So, as has been said, let's just leave it go.

I mean, the biggest ramification this would have is that the Patriots now do not have someone there that they may have come to rely on, and that they may not be able to perform as well without his as they could have with him.   And that is NOT a consequence that I am going to cry about.

No ones crying here.. Especially on my end.. But as a person who has lived and dealt with addicts....  There has to be tough love.. Quit giving Josh enablers.. That is what the Browns.. And Now NE is doing.....  Thats where I stand...

I thought the trade was bad and still do.  Gordon could've been kept and then let go at the end of the year in free agency or if he played well you could've given him the transition tag and gotten a solid draft choice.  This isn't as much about Gordon as using your pieces.  Keeping him would've cost us nothing but could've yielded something other than a 7th rounder.

26 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

I thought the trade was bad and still do.  Gordon could've been kept and then let go at the end of the year in free agency or if he played well you could've given him the transition tag and gotten a solid draft choice.  This isn't as much about Gordon as using your pieces.  Keeping him would've cost us nothing but could've yielded something other than a 7th rounder.

Well it already DID yield more than a 7th rounder, since the Browns got a 5th.

But besides that, you keep overlooking other parts aside from compensation. There is the unlimited chances he received, the message it could send to others, as well as not helping the other guys develop, and/or trying to force it to him.

But by all means, have your opinion. Had he had those numbers in Cleveland, or double, and they franchise him, he gets what 15 million? Then the next day he has a problem and hes gone.

24 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Gunz sort of said what I had almost completely typed. 

It was a 5th round pick- and if what mjp posted in that link according to Scheffter is true, Josh is probably done in the NFL. If you remember, right before we traded Gordon, he showed up late for a meeting and apparently "not himself".  I think we can read that as "high" in hindsight now. Dorsey and company decided we had better unload this guy pronto for whatever we can get before he fails another drug test. 

FWIW, he didn't last out the season in New England. After getting a zillion chances with the Browns, you really think he wouldn't have pulled the same stunt again in Cleveland? Transition tag? LOL!!! Right now the Patriots wouldn't even be able to a conditional 7th in 2021 for him. They're probably looking at an unconditional release. 

3 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Eh, I'd be willing to bet a very reasonable sum of money no one offered above a 5th round pick. IDC how much talent a guy has, with his past no way in hell that pick was going to be in the first 3 rounds. MAYBE a 4th round pick, but I doubt that.

1 hour ago, BaconHound said:

And doing that would have meant losing tons of valuable reps for our future for a guy who didn't give a shit about the game or the Browns. You're right, that makes total sense.

Archived