THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Wednesday 12/19

The Gipper

This will just be a two question survey.   I will start by giving some preface to it:   This morning, one of the talking heads on ESPN gave his  5 "Greatest"   Coach/QB combinations of ALL TIME.    And the 5 he came up with were:  5.  Harbaugh/Flacco  4. Levy/Kelly  3. Noll/Bradshaw  2. Walsh/Montana  1.  Belichick/Brady

So:

1.  Give your opinion on the  5 greatest coach/QB combination in NFL history.

2. And my second survey question:   What do you want from Santa Claus? 

My own opinions:

To me, there are  actually  4 Coach/QB combos that stand above the fray.  ESPN refuses to acknowledge that life existed prior to 1970  (they must be Steeler fans), but the fact is, perhaps the top 2 were pre that date:

1. Paul Brown/Otto Graham.   10 consecutive Championship game appearances in  10 years.  7 titles. Can't be beat.

2. Vince Lombardi/Bart Starr.  

3. Bill Belichick/Tom Brady

4. Bill Walsh/Joe Montana.

#5.....is hard for me to come up with.....here are some candidates:  Halas/Luckman  (4 titles),  Noll/Bradshaw;   Staubach/Landry;  Shula/Marino; Grant/Tarkenton;  Payton/Brees; Levy/Kelly;

2.  Nothing much.  A battery for my wristwatch.A Cleveland State sweater......and what I am really thinking about asking for (an I would likely have to get it for myself) is one of those remote car starters, so that I can turn my car on and get it warmed up right from inside my house.

1. Yep. Paul Brown/Otto Graham.

2. Nope. Tom Landry/Roger Staubach.Two Superbowls

tom-landry-9372692-1-402.jpg

You betcha. BTW, my Father-in-law was about 92? when he was given a Navy football - autographed to him by Roger Staubach himself. Display-Navy-01.jpg

3. Blanton Collier/Frank Ryan 1964 Championship, dammit.

Blanton Collier was a GREAT football coach.

4. sure, Bill Walsh/Joe Montana

5. Sure, Don Shula/Marino

for Christmas? ammo, anything Browns, sunglasses, anything my Wonderful thoughtful Wife gives me....

and a new trolling motor battery for the 17' Canoe.

3 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

1. Yep. Paul Brown/Otto Graham.

2. Nope. Tom Landry/Roger Staubach.Two Superbowls

tom-landry-9372692-1-402.jpg

You betcha. BTW, my Father-in-law was about 92? when he was given a Navy football - autographed to him by Roger Staubach himself. Display-Navy-01.jpg

3. Blanton Collier/Frank Ryan 1964 Championship, dammit.

Blanton Collier was a GREAT football coach.

4. sure, Bill Walsh/Joe Montana

5. Sure, Don Shula/Marino

You would choose  2 SB Landry/Staubach over 5 SB Lombardi/Starr?  And no BB/TB?

1. Belichick-Brady ... 2. Brown-Graham ... 3.Lombardi-Starr ... 4. Walsh-Montana ... 5. Noll-Bradshaw

A day full of smiling grandkids...

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You would choose  2 SB Landry/Staubach over 5 SB Lombardi/Starr?  And no BB/TB?

I know. I don't remember ever watching Bart Starr play, but I watched, listened to Staubach play - since he played for the Navy...

naturally, we always rooted for Navy in the Army-Navy games because my Dad had been in the Navy, and my Fatherinlaw received that personally signed football from Roger Staubach, so, I was biased. LOL

and I will never say bildge buttcheck is greatest anything except a butthole. and I never liked noll, not ever, but Bradshaw was cool, even though I hated the Squealers.

It's complicated. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanton_Collier

Brown praised Collier's teaching and called him a "scientific football man" and "one of my closest friends".[25]

He was soft-spoken, which was unusual for a head coach, but he earned the respect of the team with his extensive knowledge and his willingness to give players more freedom than Brown ever did. One significant difference was his approach to play-calling. Like Brown, Collier served as his own play-caller. However, he let Frank Ryan, who replaced Plum as the team's starting quarterback in 1963, change plays at the line of scrimmage and allowed more flexibility in pass routes and blocking schemes.[35]

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This will just be a two question survey.   I will start by giving some preface to it:   This morning, one of the talking heads on ESPN gave his  5 "Greatest"   Coach/QB combinations of ALL TIME.    And the 5 he came up with were:  5.  Harbaugh/Flacco  4. Levy/Kelly  3. Noll/Bradshaw  2. Walsh/Montana  1.  Belichick/Brady

So:

1. Bill/Brady 2. Noll/Bradshaw 3. Walsh/Montana 4. Levy/Kelly (and if they'd won a couple, much higher). 5. Lombardi/Starr

Pretty sure I heard Santa stashing a Henry Golden Boy 22LR Lever action rifle under my bed this morning for me to "find" there to move to the back corner behind the tree by Xmas morning.🎅

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So:

Brown/Otto

Bill/Brady

Montana/Walsh

Shula/ Marino

Lombardi/ Starr

McDermott/Peterman

From Santa: 8-7- Including a beatdown of the Ravens.

Zombo

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So:

1).....5 greatest Coach/QB combos...

1&2 (tie)- Paul Brown/Otto Graham & Bill Belichick/Tom Brady

3- Vince Lombardi/Bart Starr

4- Bill Walsh/Joe Montana

5- Tom Landry/Roger Staubach

2).....What I want from Santa?

1- Nick Chubb jersey (I wanted 3 players in this past draft, Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, & Nick Chubb). I got Baker's jersey as soon as possible after the draft, got Denzel's for my Birthday, now hoping for Nick's under the tree!.

2- Continued fun, exciting, & successful play from my Browns.

3- The Browns Board to continue as Stan's Legacy.

Mike

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Pretty sure I heard Santa stashing a Henry Golden Boy 22LR Lever action rifle under my bed this morning for me to "find" there to move to the back corner behind the tree by Xmas morning.🎅

Henry sure makes some fine looking rifles!  

Me for Christmas? Well finishing our crown moulding this week in the LR/DR and a nice Christmas dinner, that's it.

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So:

5 Shula unitas.     4 Lombardi Starr.  3. Walsh Montana.  2 Noll Bradshaw.     1 Brown Graham

Honorable Mention.  Holmgren Favre, Ewbanks Namath,  Madden Stabler

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Jobs for everyone who needs one, curest for everyone who needs one, homes for dogs who don't have one. Me? I have more than I could ever need. 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You’ll shoot your eye out kid

It's a step up from Red Rider.🤪 

Ironically my son had his Red Ryder out shooting at a target he had pinned to a hard plywood backing. The damn BB actually did come back and lodged under his eyelid. We had to have him look up as far as he could and peel back the lower lid to dislodge it. He was very lucky. Needless to say we pinned his targets on rough bark on large oak trees from then on. No more flat hard surfaces.

19 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's a step up from Red Rider.🤪 

Ironically my son had his Red Ryder out shooting at a target he had pinned to a hard plywood backing. The damn BB actually did come back and lodged under his eyelid. We had to have him look up as far as he could and peel back the lower lid to dislodge it. He was very lucky. Needless to say we pinned his targets on rough bark on large oak trees from then on. No more flat hard surfaces.

HighlevelHappygoluckyGroundbeetle-size_r

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

5 Shula unitas.     4 Lombardi Starr.  3. Walsh Montana.  2 Noll Bradshaw.     1 Brown Graham

Honorable Mention.  Holmgren Favre, Ewbanks Namath,  Madden Stabler

Interestingly.....I had thought about listing  Ewbanks and Unitas as an honorable mention....since it was that combination that won 2 NFL titles in the late 50s.  Shula/Unitas never won a title...but did lose a couple of title games, to the Browns in -64 and to the Packers later (though, actually I think that title game loss to the Packers was when Tom Matte had to come in and play QB).

The others you state are good honorable mentions.

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ironically my son had his Red Ryder out shooting at a target he had pinned to a hard plywood backing. The damn BB actually did come back and lodged under his eyelid.

That is so "chip off the ole Aggie"...

18 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Me for Christmas? Well finishing our crown moulding... a nice Christmas dinner, that's it.

I prefer a Crown Roast...

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Interestingly.....I had thought about listing  Ewbanks and Unitas as an honorable mention....since it was that combination that won 2 NFL titles in the late 50s.  Shula/Unitas never won a title...but did lose a couple of title games, to the Browns in -64 and to the Packers later (though, actually I think that title game loss to the Packers was when Tom Matte had to come in and play QB).

The others you state are good honorable mentions.

Here is hoping in 15 yeqrs we qre here to toast Williams Baker.

Paul Brown Otto Graham 

Bill Walsh Joe Montana

Bill Belicheck Tom Brady

Thats the list for me. None of them is better or worse then the others 

I want my wife to get through the BS the job she’s been at for years.  “

After that.  I would like another Christmas with my parents in 2019

Archived