THE BROWNS BOARD

"Raiders" may stay in Oakland?

The Gipper

By my title, I do NOT mean that the team we know as the Oakland Raiders, owned by Mark Davis, coached for the next 9 years by Jon Gruden, would be staying in Oakland....BUT....the City of Oakland has filed a lawsuit against the Raiders, asking for damages for a variety of reasons.  

And....one of the remedies that the city apparently is asking?    That the Raiders franchise REMAIN in Oakland....with his history, records, colors, etc. etc. etc. remaining there as well.   In other words...they are asking, apparently, for a Cleveland Browns type solution to their suit.

One big difference of course is that, unlike the Browns, who had a specific performance lease that required the Browns to play in Cleveland Muni. Stad. for another 3 years, there is no such lease on the Raiders.   But that may not mean that the Raiders may not be liable for other damages of sorts.  

So, let's ask this first question.....What would you think if the Raiders franchise ended up staying in Oakland....and not moving to Vegas (it could be an indefinite suspended franchise)......and the NFL creating  a NEW franchise to play in Las Vegas, to be owned by the Davis family? 

Alternately....these Raiders have vowed to not play in Oakland in 2019 ...because of this lawsuit.

So....be it this "Raiders" franchise....or some new  Las Vegas franchise.....they must have a place to play in 2019.    It will NOT be in Las Vegas.  They do not really have a facility.  The only stadium there is UNLV's 40,000 seat stadium, but apparently Davis does not want to "half ass" his arrival in Vegas. He wants to go there only when the new, fancy stadium is completed....so that he can arrive as if he were Julius Caesar coming back to Rome after triumph over the Gauls.  

Where else is possible?  The article which I will link hereafter talks about a number of possible sites since the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum will no longer be an option.

I.  Bay area options: 

A. Preferred by NFL maybe is Levi Stadium...home of the 49ers.  But, apparently the 49ers want nothing to do with them, and Davis wants nothing to do with that stadium.

B. San Jose State stadium?  Has same issues as  UNLV stadium

C. AT&T park...baseball stadium in downtown San Fran?   Giants don't want them there to muck up their field.

D. Either the Cal Bears Stadium or the Stanford Cardinal Stadium?  No real joy being given over these options by any side.

II.  Non Bay area options:

A. Play in the (abandoned by the Chargers)  fka Jack Murphy/Qualcomm...wtfever Stadium....still being used by San Diego State (Holiday Bowl)

B. Play in the LA Coliseum....where they played for some years while in LA.   (per MarkO...they would still be the most popular team in that town).  Or they could play in the Rose Bowl?

C. Play in San Antonio Alamodome.   Apparently Davis wants no part of that....because its field is old artificial turf, which he hates.

D. Play in Phoenix area....either in Glendale in the Dome there where the Cardinals play....or in Sun Devil Stadium, home of ASU.

E. Derek  Carr says he wants the team to play in Fresno at the Fresno State stadium where he went to college, capacity of about 41,000.

F. I thought about Sacremento...but the biggest stadium there is a 26,000 college stadium......about what the Chargers are playing in now though.

G. There are some decent sized Auto Racing Venues....which has been done before for college games...specifically Bristol International Speedway in Tenn. There is one in Fontana CA and in Sonoma,  both not far from the Bay area.

But....no matter where they play for now.....what would their new name  be if in fact the "Raiders" franchise were to stay located in Oakland?

The Las Vegas_________________________?

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/22263/where-will-the-raiders-play-in-2019-and-why-isnt-anyone-freaking-out

I've heard the San Diego option being discussed which would be hilarious when the Raiders play the Chargers next season and the Raiders are the home team in San Diego, not sure if it will really happen although I hope so for San Diego and I think it would give the fans some fun to stick it to the Chargers owners again.

The main issue with the UNLV stadium isn't just that its only 40k, is that it has no cover at all.  It gets pretty toasty in Vegas in August and September and I don't see how they can schedule them for all night games.  The NFL isn't going to want the responsiblity for players or fans dying because its 110 degrees outside for a September football game.

The Rose Bowl wants no part of the NFL playing in their stadium.    It's a pain in the ass place to get to and its right in the middle of a ritzy neighborhood and they don't want or need it apparently.  They seem good with their 5 or so UCLA games, a couple of concerts and the rose bowl each year.

I don't see how the Coliseum could handle the Raiders/Rams and USC all playing games there.  Probably why the Chargers are playing in a soccer stadium to this point already.

Interesting thought on the auto racing venues but neither of those would work.  The track in Fontana has a large enough infield area and grandstand but because of the shape and size of the track, the stands would be way too far away to see anything.  Plus there's a shit ton of buildings in the infield of that track..not sure there's even enough room to have a field.  The track in Sonoma is a road course so there's really no area to put it and the stands aren't all that big in each area.   Bristol sort of worked because it's a small track with small infield area. 

It will be interesting to see where they end up and what decisions are made for next season.    Las Vegas Gamblers would be my choice.

I'd love it if Davis' team had to be called the Las Vegas Gamblers. You listening Ghoolie?  Rattlesnakes or Scorpions would fit the Carpetbagger better. 

But as to Using Levi Stadium (or some other NFL venue- the Colosseum is still going to be used by the Rams in 2019, Kroenke's pleasure palace won't be ready) it presents a near impossible logistics problem. It would be in use every week of NFL season, unless say the 49ers and Raiders had their bye the same week. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

I'd love it if Davis' team had to be called the Las Vegas Gamblers. You listening Ghoolie?  Rattlesnakes or Scorpions would fit the Carpetbagger better. 

But as to Using Levi Stadium (or some other NFL venue- the Colosseum is still going to be used by the Rams in 2019, Kroenke's pleasure palace won't be ready) it presents a near impossible logistics problem. It would be in use every week of NFL season, unless say the 49ers and Raiders had their bye the same week. 

Two teams can share the same field.  The Jets and Giants have done it for years.   The Coliseum problem is the Saturdays that USC plays and then there's an NFL game every Sunday.  That field would be a shit show by November 1st.

Just now, Mark O said:

Two teams can share the same field.  The Jets and Giants have done it for years.   The Coliseum problem is the Saturdays that USC plays and then there's an NFL game every Sunday.  That field would be a shit show by November 1st.

Yes, but that's artificial turf in New Jersey. All the California venues are natural grass, right?  

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Yes, but that's artificial turf in New Jersey. All the California venues are natural grass, right?  

The Coliseum definitely is natural grass because it always looks shitty for a Rams game the day after USC plays.   Not sure about all the others.  

7 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I've heard the San Diego option being discussed which would be hilarious when the Raiders play the Chargers next season and the Raiders are the home team in San Diego, not sure if it will really happen although I hope so for San Diego and I think it would give the fans some fun to stick it to the Chargers owners again.

The main issue with the UNLV stadium isn't just that its only 40k, is that it has no cover at all.  It gets pretty toasty in Vegas in August and September and I don't see how they can schedule them for all night games.  The NFL isn't going to want the responsiblity for players or fans dying because its 110 degrees outside for a September football game.

The Rose Bowl wants no part of the NFL playing in their stadium.    It's a pain in the ass place to get to and its right in the middle of a ritzy neighborhood and they don't want or need it apparently.  They seem good with their 5 or so UCLA games, a couple of concerts and the rose bowl each year.

I don't see how the Coliseum could handle the Raiders/Rams and USC all playing games there.  Probably why the Chargers are playing in a soccer stadium to this point already.

Interesting thought on the auto racing venues but neither of those would work.  The track in Fontana has a large enough infield area and grandstand but because of the shape and size of the track, the stands would be way too far away to see anything.  Plus there's a shit ton of buildings in the infield of that track..not sure there's even enough room to have a field.  The track in Sonoma is a road course so there's really no area to put it and the stands aren't all that big in each area.   Bristol sort of worked because it's a small track with small infield area. 

It will be interesting to see where they end up and what decisions are made for next season.    Las Vegas Gamblers would be my choice.

Like I said, I was simply coming up with any possible scenarios, no matter how far fetched.  (What you are also saying, apparently, is that if they did play in Phoenix, it would have to be in that dome there, and not in the Sun Devil field)

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

What is wrong with that?  What purpose does Levi stadium serve except to host NFL games?   They do it in New Jersey...and they are going to do it in LA.  

4 minutes ago, Mark O said:

The Coliseum definitely is natural grass because it always looks shitty for a Rams game the day after USC plays.   Not sure about all the others.  

Yes, again, the Coliseum was just one of those  scatter gun options that I put up here, there was no talk in that article at all about anywhere in LA...it was just SA and SD.

I thought about them doing what the Chargers did...and playing in the local MLS stadium....but the one in San Jose has only an 18,000 capacity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avaya_Stadium

Or....maybe they can go play in Salt Lake City Utah.  They have the Utah University stadium there that seats about 51,000.   And Utah would be a natural location for a team in Las Vegas to try to attract from.   I believe that is pretty much Bronco country now......but maybe the Raiders would want to usurp the loyalty of fans there.    It is, after all, another major league market.

But....would the Raiders image appeal the the upright Mormons of Utah? 

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900041942/utah-is-expanding-rice-eccles-stadium-heres-what-has-been-done-at-other-pac-12-stadiums.html

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Like I said, I was simply coming up with any possible scenarios, no matter how far fetched.  (What you are also saying, apparently, is that if they did play in Phoenix, it would have to be in that dome there, and not in the Sun Devil field)

I think a college and pro team can share.  Chargers and SDSU did it for years.   I just don't see how it works with 2 NFL teams and a college team also playing there unless it was one of those new fancy grass/turf fields that wouldn't get all torn to shit with that much usage on it.  

I know you were throwing out all the ideas....I was just shooting down some of the most far fetched of your far fetched ideas.  :)

A couple of notes from the updated map  (the link) :

A. Browns have taken back much of eastern Ohio.

B. Steelers have lost what foothold they had in South Carolina to the Panthers.

C. Texans have encroached on  Cowboy territory in south and central Texas. 

D. Rams have taken over Southern California. 

E. Raiders have come back in parts of No Cal and Northern Nevada

F. The Broncos have already lost about half of Utah....to 49ers some, Seahawks, Cardinals.  (so, as I said above...it is ripe to be picked)

G. Steelers have lost ground in Eastern KY and Western WVa....to the Bengals.

H. It looks like the Jets have taken over as the most popular team in the New York Metro area, over the Giants!

15 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I think a college and pro team can share.  Chargers and SDSU did it for years.   I just don't see how it works with 2 NFL teams and a college team also playing there unless it was one of those new fancy grass/turf fields that wouldn't get all torn to shit with that much usage on it.  

I know you were throwing out all the ideas....I was just shooting down some of the most far fetched of your far fetched ideas.  :)

That's OK.   Some shotgun pellets miss, some hit the groin.....other get you in the teeth   :D

2 hours ago, Mark O said:

Thankfully I'm quick and agile enough to dodge the bullets. 

You need some edumacation on pellets from shotguns vs bullets. Bullets are far easier to dodge individually than a shogun that spreads pellets in widening patterns.😂

36 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'd laugh my dago ass off if the Davis family lost the Raiders name, logo, colors. 

My dago ass would be happy as hell.. They could fall off the earth for all I care.. They suck!

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

By my title, I do NOT mean that the team we know as the Oakland Raiders, owned by Mark Davis, coached for the next 9 years by Jon Gruden, would be staying in Oakland....BUT....the City of Oakland has filed a lawsuit against the Raiders, asking for damages for a variety of reasons.  

And....one of the remedies that the city apparently is asking?    That the Raiders franchise REMAIN in Oakland....with his history, records, colors, etc. etc. etc. remaining there as well.   In other words...they are asking, apparently, for a Cleveland Browns type solution to their suit.

One big difference of course is that, unlike the Browns, who had a specific performance lease that required the Browns to play in Cleveland Muni. Stad. for another 3 years, there is no such lease on the Raiders.   But that may not mean that the Raiders may not be liable for other damages of sorts.  

So, let's ask this first question.....What would you think if the Raiders franchise ended up staying in Oakland....and not moving to Vegas (it could be an indefinite suspended franchise)......and the NFL creating  a NEW franchise to play in Las Vegas, to be owned by the Davis family? 

Alternately....these Raiders have vowed to not play in Oakland in 2019 ...because of this lawsuit.

So....be it this "Raiders" franchise....or some new  Las Vegas franchise.....they must have a place to play in 2019.    It will NOT be in Las Vegas.  They do not really have a facility.  The only stadium there is UNLV's 40,000 seat stadium, but apparently Davis does not want to "half ass" his arrival in Vegas. He wants to go there only when the new, fancy stadium is completed....so that he can arrive as if he were Julius Caesar coming back to Rome after triumph over the Gauls.  

Where else is possible?  The article which I will link hereafter talks about a number of possible sites since the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum will no longer be an option.

I.  Bay area options: 

A. Preferred by NFL maybe is Levi Stadium...home of the 49ers.  But, apparently the 49ers want nothing to do with them, and Davis wants nothing to do with that stadium.

B. San Jose State stadium?  Has same issues as  UNLV stadium

C. AT&T park...baseball stadium in downtown San Fran?   Giants don't want them there to muck up their field.

D. Either the Cal Bears Stadium or the Stanford Cardinal Stadium?  No real joy being given over these options by any side.

II.  Non Bay area options:

A. Play in the (abandoned by the Chargers)  fka Jack Murphy/Qualcomm...wtfever Stadium....still being used by San Diego State (Holiday Bowl)

B. Play in the LA Coliseum....where they played for some years while in LA.   (per MarkO...they would still be the most popular team in that town).  Or they could play in the Rose Bowl?

C. Play in San Antonio Alamodome.   Apparently Davis wants no part of that....because its field is old artificial turf, which he hates.

D. Play in Phoenix area....either in Glendale in the Dome there where the Cardinals play....or in Sun Devil Stadium, home of ASU.

E. Derek  Carr says he wants the team to play in Fresno at the Fresno State stadium where he went to college, capacity of about 41,000.

F. I thought about Sacremento...but the biggest stadium there is a 26,000 college stadium......about what the Chargers are playing in now though.

G. There are some decent sized Auto Racing Venues....which has been done before for college games...specifically Bristol International Speedway in Tenn. There is one in Fontana CA and in Sonoma,  both not far from the Bay area.

But....no matter where they play for now.....what would their new name  be if in fact the "Raiders" franchise were to stay located in Oakland?

The Las Vegas_________________________?

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/22263/where-will-the-raiders-play-in-2019-and-why-isnt-anyone-freaking-out

Who gives a shit?

I mean, it will be my new hometown team. I would like to see a new name, Vegas - Whales,  High Rollers, etc,, but really, who gives a shit?

14 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Who gives a shit?

I mean, it will be my new hometown team. I would like to see a new name, Vegas - Whales,  High Rollers, etc,, but really, who gives a shit?

Apparently the city of Oakland gives a shit. And the Raiders apparently give a shit because they have Declared they will not play in Oakland again

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Who gives a shit?

They are a natural for Vegas Vaginas they way they lay down for everybody right now.🧖‍♀️

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Las Vegas Mirages

Las Vegas Sands

Las Vegas Fremont Streeters

Las Vegas Open Containers

That's all folks...my creativity isn't real good lol

Las Vegas Losers.......because they didn't build all those beautiful buildings from letting people win.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Las Vegas Losers.......because they didn't build all those beautiful buildings from letting people win.

I beg to differ. Here are a few from our recent trips

Resized_20181030_170847.jpg

Archived