THE BROWNS BOARD

Coach Williams

Zombo

The team plays hard for him. He shows a lot of passion. He lets the offense do their thing agressively. Defense is 4-1 with Junior calling the plays.

Give him the job this week and lock up Kitchens too? I think the players would love it. No new systems, and going into the offseason with no turnover or turmoil for a change.

Time to think about it .. 

Z

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was all in for the 4th down call. I would try a QB Sneak or something else than what they did, anyway... Or I would have tried to draw them offsides ;)

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

I was all in for the 4th down call. I would try a QB Sneak or something else than what they did, anyway... Or I would have tried to draw them offsides ;)

We should’ve had the ball moved up after the review. Instead of it being a full yard.

5 minutes ago, Orion said:

Why did we not try a FG at the end?

Maybe they don’t trust the kicker? If we had a Phil Dawson type.. we’d have to kick it..

1 minute ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Maybe they don’t trust the kicker? If we had a Phil Dawson type.. we’d have to kick it..

I only saw bits and pieces of the game.....but I thought it would've been a rather short FG there at the end, No?

2 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

In response to those questioning the Browns' calls late in the game.....

Q- Did we WIN??

A- Yes we DID!!

Mike

By that logic, running across a street without looking is ok...as long as you make it to the other side.   Geeze.....

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

I only saw bits and pieces of the game.....but I thought it would've been a rather short FG there at the end, No?

They were saying Joseph was missing right of the post pregame. He missed some short ones and an XP this year. He has a LEG but is still working on the accuracy.

On his weird kicks, I think his form reverts back to his soccer roots

19 minutes ago, Orion said:

Why did we not try a FG at the end?

11 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

In response to those questioning the Browns' calls late in the game.....

Q- Did we WIN??

A- Yes we DID!!

Mike

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

By that logic, running across a street without looking is ok...as long as you make it to the other side.   Geeze.....

No, going for it was "crossing the street while LOOKING"...for a WIN!

Do you ALWAYS bitch about a good ending?

Mike

Again, and certainly not just this thread, what I see over lots of threads is people WANT or look for a reason to complain. And it's not just about the Browns, it is all over society. Instead of looking at/for positive it's always the negative 

Williams is very fortunate his defense bailed him out last night. You kick the field goal and make them drive the length of the field to score a TD to win the game, with no timeouts. What the hell he was doing calling timeout while Mayfield was trying to draw the Broncos offsides is beyond me. 

Especially when it appeared the Browns defensive strategy all night was to allow the Broncos to dink and dunk their way downfield and trade field goals for touchdowns. I know I had next to no confidence the defense was going to keep them from kicking a game-winning field goal, and if everyone was honest, I bet the overwhelming majority of posters on here didn't either. 

But a win covers a lot of sins. On to the Bengals! 

3 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Again, and certainly not just this thread, what I see over lots of threads is people WANT or look for a reason to complain. And it's not just about the Browns, it is all over society. Instead of looking at/for positive it's always the negative 

Some people would Bitch if they were hung with a brand new rope.

Probably the same people that wanted to keep Hue as HC and Tyrod as QB.

At this point in my life, you learn to relish the wins and put all of the misery behind you.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

The team plays hard for him. He shows a lot of passion. He lets the offense do their thing agressively. Defense is 4-1 with Junior calling the plays.

Give him the job this week and lock up Kitchens too? I think the players would love it. No new systems, and going into the offseason with no turnover or turmoil for a change.

Z

No need to even outthink it. Offer now-to Williams, Jr. and Kitchens. Don't let anyone hire them away from us.

36 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Because a first down wins the game, a FG doesn't.

Staying aggressive on offense and defense.

Z

Not getting a 1st down potentially loses the game... all Denver needed was a FG..

4 point lead requires a touchdown with less than 2 minutes and no timeouts....

which is why I think they don’t trust the kicker...

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

We should’ve had the ball moved up after the review. Instead of it being a full yard.

They can't move the ball forward unless moving the ball forward makes the line to gain. So if they see that a player actually got a half yard further than where they marked it they can't move it that half yard unless that half yard results in a first down or a touchdown. Just another silly rule.

18 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Not getting a 1st down potentially loses the game... all Denver needed was a FG..

4 point lead requires a touchdown with less than 2 minutes and no timeouts....

which is why I think they don’t trust the kicker...

Ya, not trusting the kicker plays into it too.

I found it a balsy move, but not a dumb move.'

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Z

Would be nice but Jimmy has some rules he most follow first or he will lose a nice chunk of cash

I'd bet on letting this thing play out 2 more games. 2 good test ahead and Marvin Lewis now has gametape on Freddie/Baker. Who wins making adjustments?.Certainly not our money & we have paid several exiting head coaches. But am leaning towards a 2 year deal with a opt out after 1 with G. Williams would be a opener to a Xmas bonus. Coaches are paid for winning NFL games. Am no Dorsey, but I don't seeing a better 4-2 coach that has had these players backs since GW got here. I see nothing Freddie can't do with Arians. Only that we may lose Williams all together. College coach? pass..A Lincoln Riley would really need a D guy like GW. GW maynot need Riley either. Am a toss up at Williams vs. McCarthy..Maybe Freddie would stay taking Sampesee's QB coaching job? Freddie is a real asset to Baker playing QB at Bama..Now am just tossing a cluster of jumbo off the top of my head for now..but whoops..there it is..Let's say we do kick the FG ..how much do we trust our KO ST unit to keep that kick returner inside our own 20? Luck? have we seen any in 20 years? Luck was we kept McManass beyond 65 yards from the crossbars..not many coaches aren't 2nd guessed by Monday..but hey, what a win..    

Go back and watch the end of the game, that TO was called with 19 seconds left on the play clock. U sent ur qb out to hard count, see if u can get em to jump...then maybe call TO to take the field goal. So u wait for that play clock. That was a move u guys would have utrerly roasted Hue for.....utterly. Hue would have had to go into witness protection

I was OK with them going for the win, just hated the play call - especially against that defense.... Put it in the #1 overall franchise QB's hands and let the kid grow up even more. 

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

Time to sign the man. I don't want some new guy coming in wanting to tear everything apart and bringing his own guys we are on an upward path. No need to stop and change direction.

PS if shittsburgh and the flying rats win today the playoffs are Out Of Reach anyway.

WSS

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

Agree 100 percent.

Northeast Browns fan here...

If Dorsey doesn't want to sign Williams to be HC, I've seen a decent compromise floating around.

Bring Arians in. Kitchens as OC, Williams as DC. Let Arians fully groom Kitchens for a couple seasons, let Williams loose with the D. 

I'm on board with that. I'm also on board with signing Williams as HC. Yeah, he hasn't always been that great, and the whole Bountygate thing. But the team is willing to run through a wall for him, it seems. How can you not roll with that?

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Ya, not trusting the kicker plays into it too.

I found it a balsy move, but not a dumb move.'

Zombo

We trusted out kicker to kick a 40 yarder though.

I'm all in favor of being aggressive.  But with a one point lead.  (that's ONE measly point)....and what would be called an EASY FG staring you in the face...it's dumb to not kick the FG.  That's my opinion.  Did we win?  Yes.  But not because of THAT decision that's for sure.   And game day decisions go into the thinking of a John Dorsey when he's trying to decide on who his coach will be.  (among many other things of course)

Do I like what Williams has done with the team since he's been in charge?  Absolutely.  But I want to see smart game day coaching out of my HC....and I want to see it all through the game.

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

I was OK with them going for the win, just hated the play call - especially against that defense.... Put it in the #1 overall franchise QB's hands and let the kid grow up even more. 

I would have preferred to kick it but I don't have a problem going for it and I certainly don't have a problem with the play call. I wouldn't have had a problem if we passed it either. However to say it was a bad play call, well I disagree with that sentiment. Sure they knew we were going to be running the ball but they knew we were going to be running the ball that whole series and we still gashed them. And that play would have worked also had we executed on the blocks but we didn't so it failed. The defense came out and won the game and the rest is history.

Edit one last thing, the Broncos pass rush on the line is way better than the run-stopping ability.

Archived