THE BROWNS BOARD

Trade out of the 1st round next year and address our needs through FA...

Clevfan4life

This team is there. They need some FA signings to fill a couple spots and we're in the conversation for the AFC championship next year. We need to get myles a running mate first and foremost, we're not gonna get a day 1 starter in the draft where we're gonna pick....so why bother taking a guy that might need a year or two? Might also think about a DT.....but if we sign a guy like margus hunt, we get a guy that can slide inside easily, cause he's a monster...when avery comes in at olb 'er. Wouldnt be mad if we went after Ansah either.

Also might wanna look at an elite LT, Lewan? So what else? We're set then in our front 7, maybe another DB? If theres an elite DB in  the draft ok stay in the 1st round...maybe for an elire wr too. If that isnt there just trade out and accumulate stock.....fix the m few holes we have in FA so we can hit this window we have

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No thats the ass backwards way of doing things.. You build and solidify with your draft.. you get spare parts in FA...

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

No thats the ass backwards way of doing things.. You build and solidify with your draft.. you get spare parts in FA...

IF theres a day one guy, fine....but where we're likely to pick thats doubtful. I think thats the first time in 20 years i can make that claim xause we've alwYs had a high pick. We cant wait for a guy to develop. Bosa and oliver will not be browns, and prob neither will rashan or allen.....sooooo thats that at DT/DE as i see it now. Perhaps some more guys step forward....but dude this team has to strike now. It aint hapoenin this draft

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So what the fuck are you saying that you want to trade our first round pick for a current player. Fine let’s trade it for Kahlil Mac or Joey Bosa or Aaron Donald etc. etc.

We're not gonna get a goid cyrrent player for that picj, im saying trade out...like NE does so much, for later picks this year, next year etc,etc. Accumulate draft capital. Or maybe  with the draft capital we have...may e blow it out and get back up in the top 10.

My point is we need to use FA to address these holes xause next year gas to be aggressive, its window time.....u all can feel it. We have the QB, the RB, servixeable o line now at least in pass protect. Secondary is looking amazing, lb'ing corp imo is set....just a piece or two on the DL...maybe a LT unless they trust robinsons development. Maybe a run blocking monster guard? I mean we're really close. We 're really fucking close to having maybe an elite team

53 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

This team is there. They need some FA signings to fill a couple spots and we're in the conversation for the AFC championship next year. We need to get myles a running mate first and foremost, we're not gonna get a day 1 starter in the draft where we're gonna pick....so why bother taking a guy that might need a year or two? Might also think about a DT.....but if we sign a guy like margus hunt, we get a guy that can slide inside easily, cause he's a monster...when avery comes in at olb 'er. Wouldnt be mad if we went after Ansah either.

Also might wanna look at an elite LT, Lewan? So what else? We're set then in our front 7, maybe another DB? If theres an elite DB in  the draft ok stay in the 1st round...maybe for an elire wr too. If that isnt there just trade out and accumulate stock.....fix the m few holes we have in FA so we can hit this window we have

This is not a team that is going to be built through FA. It is CLEAR, Dorsey is the shit. He will build this team organically, and use FA to patch and spot fix, maybe add a special guy here or there. With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to now want him in the draft as much as possible.

4 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

This is not a team that is going to be built through FA. It is CLEAR, Dorsey is the shit. He will build this team organically, and use FA to patch and spot fix, maybe add a special guy here or there. With what he did in the 2018 draft, you have to be out of your mind to now want him in the draft as much as possible.

But its development time, if we cant get high enough in the 1st round might as well stockpile picks, no? We're not picking top 10, heck prob not top 15. Why fill the most pressing needs with a guy who might take a year or two to develop? We have fire now. I mean baker will be with us for awhile, but what about chub  just as an example? Avg is 3 years fir peak production out of a RB.....make next year a  legit push for the afc title

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Take the best available. None of that silly bullshit. You add depth and talent that way. 

This is one of the strongest defensive drafts in years. There will be a key player available. If we do anything at all then trade up a little for the one we want most. We have the draft capital to do so.

29 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

This is one of the strongest defensive drafts in years. There will be a key player available. If we do anything at all then trade up a little for the one we want most. We have the draft capital to do so.

Actually, it's December and I don't know how much draft capital do we have. Last year by October I could call Browns' draft picks better than some of my family relatives' names...

Defensive Free Agents: From PFF the top edge rushers as measured by pressures which they value more than sacks (Garrett provides a lot of pressures for us):

1. JJ Watt - Texans

2. Brandon Graham - Eagles

3.Trey Flowers - Patriots

4. Dee Ford - KC

This is one of the dumbest things I have seen on here, and that is saying a lot. 

You dont draft someone for 1 year, you do it for the future. And I am one that doesn't value draft picks like some. If the question is trading a pick for a proven player, then go for it. But to trade it because the team has improved and a pick wont be a day 1 starter, idiotic. And to then go a step further and trade it to stockpile picks for later in the draft, which would have an even lower chance of being a starter.

Gosh, its almost if people want something to happen to hurt the team now that they are winning so they will lose so they can then complain.

As for not being a day 1 starter, it doesn't matter if someone is drafted in top 10 or even 1st round to be a starter. Best one that comes to mind, at the most important position, Russell Wilson. He is pretty good 

8 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

IF theres a day one guy, fine....but where we're likely to pick thats doubtful. I think thats the first time in 20 years i can make that claim xause we've alwYs had a high pick. We cant wait for a guy to develop. Bosa and oliver will not be browns, and prob neither will rashan or allen.....sooooo thats that at DT/DE as i see it now. Perhaps some more guys step forward....but dude this team has to strike now. It aint hapoenin this draft

In case you forgot, Njoku and Peppers were day one starters, and weren't drafted top 10. Overpaying for free agents is an excellent way to destroy your cap space.

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

In case you forgot, Njoku and Peppers were day one starters, and weren't drafted top 10. Overpaying for free agents is an excellent way to destroy your cap space.

Also, you might want to keep some of this cap space we have now to be able to pay the young guys when they approach free agency. 

Im not saying trade out if the entire draft, u goofballs realize thar right? Im saying trade out ofvthe first round to acquire more picks for later years or even as trade value, i dunno.

Look i dont know where our draft position will be, but it cant be thst good. I already stated if we have draft picks to move up, ok fine....but the liklihood that the guy we draft in the 1st round next year, if we stay at our drsft spot, comes in and fills one of those crucial roles....is very low. And there are going to be FA's out there like lewan who are near JT's level, he's a top 5 LT in the entire league. 

We are very close. Soooooo very close. Im not suggesting paying some dude mack money, infact if mack were a FA again this offseason and wanted to come here for his 30m a season or whatever the fuck he signed for....id say forget it, we're gonna have to pay some other guys here shortly. But theres going to be assets out there like Ansah per haps, that we can acquire without shelling out mack money.....thats my point u doofballs. Fill that spot with a guy like ansah instead of drafting ogbah 2.0 where we have to wait 3 years before he seems tonshed sone of college deficiencies.

Myles cleaned up his deficiencies in one season, and thays cause he's myles garrett #1 draft pick. A guy like that is off our table next year

Teams that are consistently near the top every year build through the draft, sign all of their good players to second contracts and use free agency to fill needs only after the first two steps.

You don't the Steelers passing up draft picks and throwing money at big name free agents.

Dorsey is good at drafting ... let him do his thing.

Z

3 minutes ago, Zombo said:

You don't the Steelers passing up draft picks and throwing money at big name free agents.

Because they had ben, their window is always open. And i didnt say necessarily big names that hurt our ability to retain what we have...but theres a couole spots, like LDE/DT, that we could and should fill with a silid veteran FA like Ansah. Who's not going to be asking mack money....same with Hunt

7 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Im not saying trade out if the entire draft, u goofballs realize thar right? Im saying trade out ofvthe first round to acquire more picks for later years or even as trade value, i dunno.

Look i dont know where our draft position will be, but it cant be thst good. I already stated if we have draft picks to move up, ok fine....but the liklihood that the guy we draft in the 1st round next year, if we stay at our drsft spot, comes in and fills one of those crucial roles....is very low. And there are going to be FA's out there like lewan who are near JT's level, he's a top 5 LT in the entire league. 

We are very close. Soooooo very close. Im not suggesting paying some dude mack money, infact if mack were a FA again this offseason and wanted to come here for his 30m a season or whatever the fuck he signed for....id say forget it, we're gonna have to pay some other guys here shortly. But theres going to be assets out there like Ansah per haps, that we can acquire without shelling out mack money.....thats my point u doofballs. Fill that spot with a guy like ansah instead of drafting ogbah 2.0 where we have to wait 3 years before he seems tonshed sone of college deficiencies.

Myles cleaned up his deficiencies in one season, and thays cause he's myles garrett #1 draft pick. A guy like that is off our table next year

So then by your premise next year is the only year the team can compete. Since you want to trade a 1st round pick for "future" since they wont make a huge difference next year.

And you are the one calling people names because of your view on this?

Guess what, since you keep talking about FAs, the Browns can sign the top 5 if they want, guess what they would still have, their DRAFT PICK, whether it is 1st or 32nd.

Why would you want the team you like to give up the future for further away future? It makes absolutely no sense, unless you want something to complain about.

Let's just assume for the moment that the Browns are picking somewhere between 17-21.

Derwin James, Leighton Vander Esch, Calvin Ridley, Tre'Davious White, Ryan Ramczyk, Keanu Neal, Ryan Kelly, Marcus Peters, Byron Jones, CJ Mosley, Brandin Cooks. 

That is just last 5 drafts of some guys who have been picked in 1st round 17th or later. And there is also drafting for need, where a guy early 2nd round like Landon Collins or DeMarcus Lawrence is your pick.

But by all means, the Browns are close, so let's trade that pick away so we can have 2 1st rounders and extra 2nd or 3rd in 2 years. Then the team could have had that player who by your view that would have been ready, but nope gotta wait another couple years so that pick can be "ready"

12 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:
  1. IF theres a day one guy, fine....
  2. but dude this team has to strike now.
  1. You should not have had to add this qualifier. It should have been in your original thought.
  2. Why the hurry? This is your remaining fallacy. We're a young team with every key player either on a rookie contract thru at least 2019 or already extended.

Haste makes waste...

FYI as of right now we have the 17th pick in round 1.     With that pick we are looking at talent like  A.J Brown,  N'Keal Harry,  Raekwon Davis,  Mack Wilson, Christian Wilkins.    That's not bad talent.   We are probably gonna end up picking around 20th.    One of those guys should be there at 20.

51 minutes ago, Coyote said:

FYI as of right now we have the 17th pick in round 1.     With that pick we are looking at talent like  A.J Brown,  N'Keal Harry,  Raekwon Davis,  Mack Wilson, Christian Wilkins.    That's not bad talent.   We are probably gonna end up picking around 20th.    One of those guys should be there at 20.

Only name i know there is raekwon. 

52 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. You should not have had to add this qualifier. It should have been in your original thought.
  2. Why the hurry? This is your remaining fallacy. We're a young team with every key player either on a rookie contract thru at least 2019 or already extended.

Haste makes waste...

1) thats why i highlighted "IF"....i just dont see us filling some crucial needs with a #20 or lower pick. I just dont. My only optimism about the upcomi g draft is that so many def guys go early that perhaps theres a galloping unicorn of a WR that gets overlooked. 

2) i understand we're young but look this is the NFL, windows come and go in an instant. I want to be clear im in no mood for a mack like contract, but theres some good FA's out there that conceivably could put the browns into the AFC championship picture next year. My point about trading out this year is to possibly acquire future capital for a trade up....because i dobt see this team having a top 5 or even top 10 pick for quite some time. This year mihht be the year to belichick it and trade completely out. 

It still remains to be seen what our dradt # will be and whats available on draft day. But from my analysis of the team, our major deficiencies will almost certainly not be met by anything at #20 or higher. 

16 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Idiotic.

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

I hate to say this, but your typing is about as bad as your opinion. Lewan? He's going to want Joe Thomas money. 

Yeah, now you're talking like Sashi, trade down acquire more picks. That got us exactly where, until Dorsey cashed in the chips. Z is right, we're going to build through the draft. It took the Lions three seasons to go from 0-16 to the playoffs, and we're way ahead of that schedule. And FYI, you can find quality in the mid-lower half of the first round- and Gunz just gave you a few examples. 

Ansah? talk out your a$$ much?  Get real. Four,  lol  huge sacks this year, and been hurt- a lot. 

"Three straight injury-riddled seasons have taken their toll on Ziggy Ansah’s mind and body.

“I wouldn’t wish (what I’ve gone through) upon nobody,” Ansah said Friday. “I’m just happy that I’ve been better over the weeks and I’m just looking forward to keep improving.”

Regarding the Steelers & Ben. Well, it sure looks like after 20 years the Browns just might have found their franchise qb. So they can start addressing needs through the draft, instead of trying to find a QB. and the good teams seem to find quality players, even if they draft low.  

Just get over it- the Browns 2019 season isn't "Super Bowl or Bust" time. 

Archived