THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Jabrill Peppers Appreciation Thread

MLD Woody

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Man you're dense. 

Why because I dont agree with your propensity to judge a pro player's acceptance in to Browns lore by where he went to school? Because I dont give a shit where a player attended college? Once he is a Brown I cheer for them regardless of how they play. Because I want all Browns players to play well but i criticize them when they fail and celebrate them when they succeed. But even while criticizing I'm cheering like hell they turn it around.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

Why because I dont agree with your propensity to judge a pro player's acceptance in to Browns lore by where he went to school? Because I dont give a shit where a player attended college? Once he is a Brown I cheer for them regardless of how they play. Because I want all Browns players to play well but i criticize them when they fail and celebrate them when they succeed. 

Part of the problem is you don't have the history of the Peppers hate in here.  Most of us want the Browns to succeed. Unfortunately, we're not in our parents' or our grandparents' era.  We're in an era where we have outspoken fans that care more about their predictions for players than rooting for this team.  If you ever read the Never Ending World According to Taco that Peppers sucks as recently as a week or so ago you'd understand why this merged thread exists.  Not your fault you don't know that per say - but it would give you a much better understanding of why some felt propelled to bust his balls about Peppers immediately after the game.

We don't have to beat a dead horse any further because Cleveland already took care of that yesterday when Peppers ended the Broncos in Denver!  

36 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Part of the problem is you don't have the history of the Peppers hate in here. 

True...

Funny thing is that most of the criticism came when a lack of options forced Williams to play Peppers in Centerfield... make that deeeeeep Centerfield... and where did Pep start his run to his INT last nite? Deep Centerfield... lol... and shaded to Right Field to boot.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Aside... another Browns' defender whose been bashed 'round here this season nearly matched Pep's line... Collins. He was a stonehands away from matching it.

Just came away from watching the first half  

Gotta say, as much as I have often felt Collins has no interest in being in Cleveland, he looks like a different player tonight. In fact he’s picked up his whole game since Kirksey went down. 

When he makes em he lays hits. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

True...

Funny thing is that most of the criticism came when a lack of options forced Williams to play Peppers in Centerfield... make that deeeeeep Centerfield... and where did Pep start his run to his INT last nite? Deep Centerfield... lol... and shaded to Right Field to boot.

Yes and it was all that experience last year that made him read it far earlier than he had read it most of last year and thus got there "gist in time".👍

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Why because I dont agree with your propensity to judge a pro player's acceptance in to Browns lore by where he went to school? Because I dont give a shit where a player attended college? Once he is a Brown I cheer for them regardless of how they play. Because I want all Browns players to play well but i criticize them when they fail and celebrate them when they succeed. But even while criticizing I'm cheering like hell they turn it around.

Because you don't understand the point I've been making about the Pep hate. It isn't black and white. You respond with hyperbolic examples to sound right but they're things I've never claimed. Others here get it. 

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It being that you are Super Homer.... ;)

Homer-Simpson-homer-simpson-3065320-350-

It being things aren't black and white. Which means Peps college doesn't automatically mean all OSU+Browns fans forever hate him (which was never said or implied) but it means it's one additional factor the plays into whether some fans will bitch and attack him. There are fans that wouldn't give Pep shit if he played like an all pro, but if he's playing to what they think isn't good enough, plus that fact he went to Michigan, they will complain about him and they wouldn't do that for others. That's been clearly shown with examples on this board for the last two seasons. That's been shown by his stories of being harassed in public IN Cleveland. That's been shown by tweets and comments directed at Pep from OSU+Browns fans. Again, it is very clear.

But some on here are acting like I'm trying to say (and others) that every OSU+Browns fan will always hate him and all negative comments are just because of where he went to school. The hyperbolic examples as responses that completely miss the point.

Idk how else to explain it. It clearly adds to the reasons some people choose to not like him. For some they want to see him fail to prove a point, while assuring us they're definitely not bias. 

That's not all directed at you tour. I just figured I'd explain it all again. It'll go right in one ear and out the other for too many though.  

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

It being things aren't black and white. Which means Peps college doesn't automatically mean all OSU+Browns fans forever hate him (which was never said or implied) but it means it's one additional factor the plays into whether some fans will bitch and attack him. There are fans that wouldn't give Pep shit if he played like an all pro, but if he's playing to what they think isn't good enough, plus that fact he went to Michigan, they will complain about him and they wouldn't do that for others. That's been clearly shown with examples on this board for the last two seasons. That's been shown by his stories of being harassed in public IN Cleveland. That's been shown by tweets and comments directed at Pep from OSU+Browns fans. Again, it is very clear.

But some on here are acting like I'm trying to say (and others) that every OSU+Browns fan will always hate him and all negative comments are just because of where he went to school. The hyperbolic examples as responses that completely miss the point.

Idk how else to explain it. It clearly adds to the reasons some people choose to not like him. For some they want to see him fail to prove a point, while assuring us they're definitely not bias. 

That's not all directed at you tour. I just figured I'd explain it all again. It'll go right in one ear and out the other for too many though.  

No my Jamie Collins example is not hyperbolic. People bitching about him on here when he doesn't play well and even when he does like yesterday people were bitching about him. And it has nothing to do with where he went to school. Which is what I know you're saying, people don't automatically hate Peppers because he went to Michigan but they're more prone to getting on him when he makes mistakes because he is from Michigan in your mind. Could it just be that people don't like him because they feel he was severely overhyped in college or like he wasn't being used properly which people then in turn thought that he wasn't skilled enough to be a player in the NFL that's why they had him playing in center field, or they thought the browns reached on a "tweener", or any other variety of reasons. just like people just don't like Jamie Collins for a litany of reasons whether he plays well or bad.

Or..... Or could it just be fans get on players when fans view that they perform poorly. like people think Collins has, like fans think peppers did last year when he was in centerfield all year. I really haven't seen outlandish peppers hate this year other than taco and i think hes the same guy That hates Landry too. But that doesn't fit your narrative.

Other than maybe Taco the person on this board that shows the most bias regarding peppers is you.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Because you don't understand the point I've been making about the Pep hate. It isn't black and white. You respond with hyperbolic examples to sound right but they're things I've never claimed. Others here get it. 

It is not Pep hate. It’s Woody hate 

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

The preseason concerns couldn't be browns fans were wary of a draft preview like this from PFF

"Peppers is one of the most difficult evaluations in this draft class because outside of punt returner, he lacks a natural NFL position. While he graded well against the run each of the past two seasons, much of his success was when attacking the backfield unblocked. While he is clearly one of the elite athletes of this draft class, he was unable to translate to his coverage skills. While he clearly has the speed to play free safety, he has limited experience, and has not displayed the instincts needed to decipher plays quick enough to prevent big catches. The comparison to Cyprien works well for him, in large part because it will likely take significant time for him to find his niche in the NFL, and will likely need to play a very specialized role on defense. While many pundits have long been convinced that he is a lock for the first round, his lack of applicable NFL skills makes him a huge risk to be taken so high, especially considering the high-levels of talent and depth in this draft’s defensive backs." 

Or the preseason concerns couldn't be the 45.5 grade he received last year from PFF. (I used PFF because of your love.)

All the hate/concerns was/were because he was from Michigan right? News flash he did not play well last year. People loved kirko prior to this year because he made plays. This year he is getting a lot of hate because he is struggling. If your whole basis is because when someone is aggravated at peppers they say "well obviously he sucks he's from Michigan" that's hyperbole and exaggeration obviously the goat went to school at Michigan. You take it to heart and think people jump on him quicker because of where he is from. Then people including me love to goad you because of how much it bothers you. There were many fans at the trade deadline hoping/telling Jamie Collins to go back to New England. Was that because we as fans dislike Collins before he got here because he played for New England or was it the fact that fans felt he wasn't performing so they didn't want him on the Browns anymore?

edit I just did a search on here from August 1st 2018 (preseason) to December 1st 2018 keyword peppers. 11 pages and I counted 7 posts (not including taco posts) where something disparaging was said about him one being he fair caught a punt without anyone within 15 yards of him (pretty reasonable to gripe on play like that). I will also search Jabril and "Gerbil" tomorrow, but so far this mass hatred seems to be a little overblown.

I don't give 2 shits where a player is from or what school he played for. I like Peppers and thought it was a good pick, this is only his second season so that is still young. Most players don't start to show greatness til their 3rd season. This thread is just stupid, We just won. We just won in a place where most said we had no chance because of some lame curse.  Fuk the Buckeyes Fuk Michigan, This is Cleveland Browns we should be talking about

8 hours ago, Tacosman said:

A 4 page thread about a player like peppers is absurd either way....he had a good game last night but he's a replaceable player on defense.  He's not going to be why we are good or why we are sucking.  

Interesting you say that ...

How about this thread?

7 hours ago, Tacosman said:

A 4 page thread about a player like peppers is absurd either way....he had a good game last night but he's a replaceable player on defense.  He's not going to be why we are good or why we are sucking.  

Okay, we got it.  1 Taco with NO Peppers.

High 5s to everyone else in here that understood the red zone INT and clutch sack at the end of the game was the difference between winning and losing a 1 point game!  

Players can actually improve in their 2nd seasons...

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Okay, we got it.  1 Taco with NO Peppers.

High 5s to everyone else in here that understood the red zone INT and clutch sack at the end of the game was the difference between winning and losing a 1 point game!  

Players can actually improve in their 2nd seasons...

I am cool with Peppers and hope he continues with his development.  Its just that it is absurd that we have one guy on here who places thousands of posts about him.....and who studies every infinitesimal factoid about him from every esoteric, absurd stat site that he can find, and he thinks we should all be  informed on those minutiae data points about him the way he is.

Well....here are some obvious stats:   the other day he got his first sack ever as a professional player, and his first interception of the season (he may have gotten a couple of ints. last year).  

Hopefully he will have one sack and one int.  per game for the rest of his Browns career. But do not tell us how great he is when you have to go digging under the pyramids to find a positive statistic about his production. 

I have an entire Browns team that I am interested (and quite a bit beyond)....not just one player.  I mean, maybe I should have posted 999 out of 1000 of my posts about Hall of Famer Jason Taylor....who attended my college. Or Dwight Smith....who only got two interceptions in the Super Bowl....or I should have been all over Charlie Frye's dick....  But the fact is, if someone went to my college...I see no reason to commit fellatio on him if he is not performing up to par. 

bragging/idolizing a player just because he went where the poster went to college....

just....

dimmer than a black hole at the far end of the universe..

right now, it is about TEAM. The Browns are having fun and success being a TEAM.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I am cool with Peppers and hope he continues with his development.  Its just that it is absurd that we have one guy on here who places thousands of posts about him.....and who studies every infinitesimal factoid about him from every esoteric, absurd stat site that he can find, and he thinks we should all be  informed on those minutiae data points about him the way he is.

Well....here are some obvious stats:   the other day he got his first sack ever as a professional player, and his first interception of the season (he may have gotten a couple of ints. last year).  

Hopefully he will have one sack and one int.  per game for the rest of his Browns career. But do not tell us how great he is when you have to go digging under the pyramids to find a positive statistic about his production. 

I have an entire Browns team that I am interested (and quite a bit beyond)....not just one player.  I mean, maybe I should have posted 999 out of 1000 of my posts about Hall of Famer Jason Taylor....who attended my college. Or Dwight Smith....who only got two interceptions in the Super Bowl....or I should have been all over Charlie Frye's dick....  But the fact is, if someone went to my college...I see no reason to commit fellatio on him if he is not performing up to par. 

It's funny because none of that is true. But your colorful language and hyperbolic examples definitely makes it sound like you're right. And that's probably all you were going for...

FYI, a player's PFF grade isn't some random, "infinitesimal factoid". It's adata point a lot of people use and recognize. But then again, based on your history, I guess I'm not surprised you have no idea what that is...

So... even I feel like I'm beating a dead horse now... But this is a good read.

It's from those "PFF" guys, whatever the hell that even is, but I'll still post it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-career-game-for-peppers-continues-trend-of-improved-play-in-2018

Peppers_YearTwoImprovement.png

"Contrasting his usage last season with this season is night and day. Through the first 14 games of 2018, Peppers has played 261 snaps at free safety, 164 snaps in the box, 116 snaps as an edge defender, 83 snaps at slot corner and 41 snaps out wide at cornerback. His free safety usage has dropped over 40 percent, and with that, his overall grade has jumped from 60.5 (70th overall among qualifying safeties) to 83.2, which sits inside the top-10 at the position."

20 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

It's funny because none of that is true. But your colorful language and hyperbolic examples definitely makes it sound like you're right. And that's probably all you were going for...

FYI, a player's PFF grade isn't some random, "infinitesimal factoid". It's adata point a lot of people use and recognize. But then again, based on your history, I guess I'm not surprised you have no idea what that is...

It is right....because it is right...not because of hyperbole or colorful language. Sorry that I am much better at the English language than you and that you therefore feel inferior.    And I am fully aware of PFF.....and the point is.....it is still a "data point".....that a few people use. 

But, as I said....the ONLY  aspect of that or any data point that you pay any bit of attention to is that of Peppers.   Its the ONLY thing you care about. So, perhaps Peppers had some decent grades on there.......showing that there was a time or two that he didn't completely suck swamp water. But it is still an infinitesimal esoteric gauge.

So...tell us, will have have another interception this year?  One sack every two years?    Great.

Lets put it this way......Peppers is now performing much much better on the field than you are on here....by any measure. 

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

So... even I feel like I'm beating a dead horse now... But this is a good read.

No, it is not a dead horse you are beating.  It seems clear that it is something else.

You are actually coming off as his gay stalker.  (considering your obsession with him...that may not be far from the truth).

Peppers getting some love from Peter King this week:

Defensive Players of the Week

Jabrill Peppers, safety, Cleveland. Ever see a walkoff sack? You saw one Saturday night. Peppers made two of the biggest drive-killing plays in the Browns’ 17-16 win—acrobatically picking off a Case Keenum pass in the end zone late in the first half; then, on fourth-and-10 with 43 seconds left in the game and the Broncos at midfield, steaming through the right guard/tackle gap untouched to sack Keenum and end the game. I can only imagine the decibel level in northeast Ohio on Saturday night at 11:27 when Peppers bowled over Keenum. Women yelling. Men shrieking. Kids, woken up, crying. Dogs howling. Jabrill Peppers, you made a city scream.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

It is right....because it is right...not because of hyperbole or colorful language. Sorry that I am much better at the English language than you and that you therefore feel inferior.    And I am fully aware of PFF.....and the point is.....it is still a "data point".....that a few people use. 

But, as I said....the ONLY  aspect of that or any data point that you pay any bit of attention to is that of Peppers.   Its the ONLY thing you care about. So, perhaps Peppers had some decent grades on there.......showing that there was a time or two that he didn't completely suck swamp water. But it is still an infinitesimal esoteric gauge.

So...tell us, will have have another interception this year?  One sack every two years?    Great.

Lets put it this way......Peppers is now performing much much better on the field than you are on here....by any measure. 

Again, a lot of language used on things that are incorrect. It's like you just physically can't say something positive. It's weird. 

More than a few people use PFF...

I post about other things ...

They were more than "decent"...

It isn't "infinitesimal"...

Etc etc etc

You continue to just frame everything with language to make you feel correct. Or just blatantly say things that are false. Multiple posts now you continue to word everything in a negative light, trying to do whatever you can to make his performance look as bad as possible.

I think I'm just done with you for now in this thread. I'm not sure what else can be said. You have a history of digging your heels in when you're incorrect so I should have known.

Go ahead and take the last word if you'd like. It isn't worth my time anymore. 

16 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Again, a lot of language used on things that are incorrect. It's like you just physically can't say something positive. It's weird. 

A lot of language that you cannot understand clearly.  And I have said numerous things positive...about Peppers.  It is about you....his gay stalker that I don't have much good to say about.

More than a few people use PFF...

Since "few" connotes  3 people....yea, I suppose somewhere more than 3 do look at it. 

I post about other things ...

1 out of 100 might be about a different subject.

They were more than "decent"...

Prove it.  

It isn't "infinitesimal"...

You don't know what that word means, so how can you judge whether it is or isn't.

Etc etc etc

You continue to just frame everything with language to make you feel correct. Or just blatantly say things that are false. Multiple posts now you continue to word everything in a negative light, trying to do whatever you can to make his performance look as bad as possible.

I said his performance the other day was great.  It has not been good much up to this point.  Hopefully it will continue to make similar impact on the future.   Again....YOU are confusing my statements about him with my statements about YOU....you know....you, the gay stalker obsessed with him.   I mean.....I know the difference between John Lennon and Mark David Chapman.  Peppers in the former role..you in the latter.

I think I'm just done with you for now in this thread. I'm not sure what else can be said. You have a history of digging your heels in when you're incorrect so I should have known.

I have a history of digging my heals in when I am right.   And I am right.  This is the first game that Peppers has made an impact.  Sure, he has made some tackles....but if you want me to concede that the following is an outstanding record....you are putting something up your nose:

2018 Games

Kick Returns Punt Returns   Tackles Def Interceptions Fumbles
Date Week Tm   Opp Result GS Rt Yds Y/Rt TD Ret Yds Y/R TD Sk Solo Ast Comb TFL QBHits Int Yds TD PD Fmb FF FR Yds TD
2018-09-09 1 CLE   PIT T 21-21 * 1 24 24.00 0 1 15 15.00 0 0.0 3 3 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 32 0
2018-09-16 2 CLE @ NOR L 18-21 * 3 82 27.33 0 1 0 0.00 0 0.0 3 2 5 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-09-20 3 CLE   NYJ W 21-17 * 0 0   0 3 10 3.33 0 0.0 3 1 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-09-30 4 CLE @ OAK L 42-45 * 4 64 16.00 0 1 1 1.00 0 0.0 0 0 0     0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-10-07 5 CLE   BAL W 12-9 * 0 0   0 3 23 7.67 0 0.0 3 1 4 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0
2018-10-14 6 CLE   LAC L 14-38 * 3 71 23.67 0 4 51 12.75 0 0.0 3 1 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0
2018-10-21 7 CLE @ TAM L 23-26 * 1 12 12.00 0 2 46 23.00 0 0.0 7 1 8 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0
2018-10-28 8 CLE @ PIT L 18-33 * 1 19 19.00 0 2 26 13.00 0 0.0 3 1 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-11-04 9 CLE   KAN L 21-37 * 0 0   0 1 1 1.00 0 0.0 3 3 6 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-11-11 10 CLE   ATL W 28-16 * 2 41 20.50 0 1 6 6.00 0 0.0 3 2 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-11-25 12 CLE @ CIN W 35-20 * 0 0   0 1 0 0.00 0 0.0 4 2 6 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
2018-12-02 13 CLE @ HOU L 13-29 * 1 27 27.00 0 0 0   0 0.0 4 4 8 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-12-09 14 CLE   CAR W 26-20 * 0 0   0 1 19 19.00 0 0.0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018-12-15 15 CLE @ DEN W 17-16 * 1 17 17.00 0 2 9 4.50 0 1.0 6 0 6 2 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
Upcoming Games · Bye in Week 11
2018-12-23 16 CLE   CIN Preview · Stats for 3 games vs. Bengals · Avg. 1.7 kick ret, 38.7 yds, 1.7 punt ret, 6.3 yds (Last in 2018)
2018-12-30 17 CLE @ BAL Preview · Stats for 3 games vs. Ravens · Avg. 1.3 kick ret, 31.7 yds, 1.7 punt ret, 11.3 yds (Last in 2018)
Browns 2018 Stats and Schedule · Jabrill Peppers Splits · Jabrill Peppers Gamelogs · Penalties

Go ahead and take the last word if you'd like. It isn't worth my time anymore. 

I will let the above  unembellished stats be the last word.  And I will let the rest of the crew here decide how impessive...or not, these stats are.  (to me, it seems that the other decent game he may have had was against Tampa)

Just to clarify things, is woody starting random jabril peppers threads every week? Or is he responding to the a surd often factually baseless threads and/or posts from rankled browns fans who wanted to use peppers as the whipping boy when the losses were coming every week? I know the answer to that question btw, i think its called rhetorical or some shit...

Archived