THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the AFC North

Zombo

A lot going on at the Lair this week, so let me throw some picks at ya and maybe I'll be able to flesh it out later ...

Cleveland at Denver 8:20 PM Saturday Night

Baker made his remarkable debut in Primetime, and now he has his signature win in Primetime. BROWNS 35 BRONCOS 24

Tampa Bay at Baltimore 1:00 PM Sunday

Bucs playing hungry lately, they figure our how to stop Jackson, and Ravens left with a mess. BUCCANEERS 27 RAVENS 16

Oakland at Cincinnati 1:00 PM Sunday

Driskall or whatever his name is gets his first win. BUNGLES 23 RAIDERS 22

New England at Pittsburgh 4:25 PM Sunday

Brady's Bitches take another one up the ass. PATRIOTS 34 STEELERS 23

TGZ

This week I like:

CLE +3 should be fun, CIN -3, TB +9.5 and NE (pick) to make pburgs day miserable :lol:

Maybe also:  NYJ +7 and GB +5.5 a lot of dogs in week 15.

I would have rather the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals lost today. we still have playoff hopes albeit long, long l long shot chances. A couple things in my mind.

1) Steelers win. Man, I would have never guessed that. It's hard not to make long-term predictions when you see a team play like shit. THought the Steelers were done, not the feeling is maybe the Pats are done. You just don't know, week to week.

2) I hope the wins from the AFC opponents, and according shrinking of our playoff chances doesn't make this team lose enthusiasm. It would still be a hell of a thing to end the year at 8-7-1.

8 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

2) I hope the wins from the AFC opponents, and according shrinking of our playoff chances doesn't make this team lose enthusiasm. It would still be a hell of a thing to end the year at 8-7-1.

I'm not worried about their enthusiasm one bit Tom. These guys are clearly aimed at the future of the Browns one game at a time and they want to pick up next year exactly where they leave off. There are great chances to win out for two reasons. 1. Cincy can be had (again) and our guys know what it takes at home and Baker wants to perform for the stands he wants full.  2. Depending on the standings, if the Ravens have nothing to gain they won't play their starters much, but you can bet we will. This second one is totally dependent on standings/records after next week. But either way I expect our best efforts in the last two games. Our guys are young and hungry.

11 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I would have rather the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals lost today. we still have playoff hopes albeit long, long l long shot chances. A couple things in my mind.

1) Steelers win. Man, I would have never guessed that. It's hard not to make long-term predictions when you see a team play like shit. THought the Steelers were done, not the feeling is maybe the Pats are done. You just don't know, week to week.

My takeaway from the Pats/Steelers game is this:    neither of those teams are actually all that good.   Brady seems to be off mark. (It was far more that than that the Steelers defense was all that tremendous....though I think they play better at home)  Scoring 17 points by Steelers offense is also not impressive.   

Chiefs,  Texans, Chargers.....all three are better than these two teams, IMO.  I think Baltimore would beat Pittsburgh. at this point.  These two teams do have winning DNA however.....and I don't know how much that will account for once the playoffs start.

But, right now, just based on performance, predicting a KC/Houston AFC title game should be the betting favorite.

But just not being totally eliminated from the playoff chase with just 2 games to go is an exponential achievement for the Browns.    

And, would it be fair to say that next year it is playoffs or bust?

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

My takeaway from the Pats/Steelers game is this:    neither of those teams are actually all that good.   Brady seems to be off mark. (It was far more that than that the Steelers defense was all that tremendous....though I think they play better at home)  Scoring 17 points by Steelers offense is also not impressive.   

Chiefs,  Texans, Chargers.....all three are better than these two teams, IMO.  I think Baltimore would beat Pittsburgh. at this point.  These two teams do have winning DNA however.....and I don't know how much that will account for once the playoffs start.

But, right now, just based on performance, predicting a KC/Houston AFC title game should be the betting favorite.

But just not being totally eliminated from the playoff chase with just 2 games to go is an exponential achievement for the Browns.    

And, would it be fair to say that next year it is playoffs or bust?

Regarding playoffs or bust- maybe, disappointing if we don't. We improve at the same level as this year, for sure.

But regarding the Ratbird game- Baltimore has the Colts (who play the G-Men this week)  And the Titans (play the Redskins) WAY too close in the rearview mirror for comfort. If they both win (odds on they will), the winner of their head to head week 17 will put one of them at 10-6. The Ravens are far from a lock playing the Chargers on the road (unless they start resting players, which I doubt) Saturday, and even if they pull that one out, they'd have to beat the Browns to make the playoffs. (A loss puts them at 9-7) So expect to see both teams going full strength for the win. 

13 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Regarding playoffs or bust- maybe, disappointing if we don't. We improve at the same level as this year, for sure.

But regarding the Ratbird game- Baltimore has the Colts (who play the G-Men this week)  And the Titans (play the Redskins) WAY too close in the rearview mirror for comfort. If they both win (odds on they will), the winner of their head to head week 17 will put one of them at 10-6. The Ravens are far from a lock playing the Chargers on the road (unless they start resting players, which I doubt) Saturday, and even if they pull that one out, they'd have to beat the Browns to make the playoffs. (A loss puts them at 9-7) So expect to see both teams going full strength for the win. 

Chargers are chasing the AFC West title.....even the #1 overall seed....so no, they are not letting up on the Ravens who go to LA.  Too bad the Chargers don't really enjoy any sort of home field advantage.  And absolutely the Titans and Colts are not letting up......both want to take advantage of circumstances that will put them in the playoffs. 

The ONLY team that I ever see laying off would be the Saints in their final game of the year....after they have secured the home field.  I think every other team in both conferences will have something to play for right up to the last game....be it a playoff spot, or seeding.

Do you see any other "lay down" games?

Note:  Saints have already clinched their division  (as have Rams and Bears)....but tonight they could outright eliminate the Panthers by beating them.....leaving only the Eagles and Redskins as teams currently out of the playoff picture that could have a chance to make it in the NFC.  

Colts, Titans, Dolphins.....and technically, the Browns still have mathematical  chance.

Personally, I want one of those teams to bounce the Ratrapers out of the playoff....and I know just the team to do that to them.

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Chargers are chasing the AFC West title.....even the #1 overall seed....so no, they are not letting up on the Ravens who go to LA.  Too bad the Chargers don't really enjoy any sort of home field advantage.  And absolutely the Titans and Colts are not letting up......both want to take advantage of circumstances that will put them in the playoffs. 

The ONLY team that I ever see laying off would be the Saints in their final game of the year....after they have secured the home field.  I think every other team in both conferences will have something to play for right up to the last game....be it a playoff spot, or seeding.

Do you see any other "lay down" games?

Note:  Saints have already clinched their division  (as have Rams and Bears)....but tonight they could outright eliminate the Panthers by beating them.....leaving only the Eagles and Redskins as teams currently out of the playoff picture that could have a chance to make it in the NFC.  

Colts, Titans, Dolphins.....and technically, the Browns still have mathematical  chance.

Regarding the Redskins, may as well stick a fork in 'em. My Redskins fan tell me Alex Smith may have sadly developed a post-op LeCharles Bentley type  infection, that might be career ending.  After Colt McCoy broke his leg, they're left with Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson as quarterbacks- for them to pull out a win would be near miraculous. 

27 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Regarding the Redskins, may as well stick a fork in 'em. My Redskins fan tell me Alex Smith may have sadly developed a post-op LeCharles Bentley type  infection, that might be career ending.  After Colt McCoy broke his leg, they're left with Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson as quarterbacks- for them to pull out a win would be near miraculous. 

Yes, but I am just saying that they are still mathematically alive....which Carolina may not be if they lose tonight.

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

No great loss.. Alex Smith never scared anybody..  I want anyone to name me one DC or HC that lost any sleep over him...

22 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm not worried about their enthusiasm one bit Tom. These guys are clearly aimed at the future of the Browns one game at a time and they want to pick up next year exactly where they leave off. There are great chances to win out for two reasons. 1. Cincy can be had (again) and our guys know what it takes at home and Baker wants to perform for the stands he wants full.  2. Depending on the standings, if the Ravens have nothing to gain they won't play their starters much, but you can bet we will. This second one is totally dependent on standings/records after next week. But either way I expect our best efforts in the last two games. Our guys are young and hungry.

i pry you are correct. We have come so very far, I wnt the team, and us to fade into the offseason with the greatest of optimism. An 8-7-1 finish would be spectacular, wouldn't it?

Archived