THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Broncos Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

:D

Don't listen to those UM bashers. Credit where credit is due.Like Landry said- "the past don't matter". Peppers played the sort of game you'd expect out of a first round draft pick. LOL, he keeps it up, and I might even have to stop calling him Gerbil.   :D 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What is obvious is that the this is the very first game that It can be said that he had any real impact on the game. 

Its not often a player stands out "this" much on def....peppers has been foing his job and doing it well, which means he's often not on the screen at all as the ball isnt going at him. But u see it on replays

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It is OK but it is also very correct despite your shaded jaded view point of things. I wonder if you are a Browns fan or just a fan of whatever Michigan schmo we might have on the team

No. What you said is just factually incorrect. But it is a strain on you to say anything positive. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It is OK but it is also very correct despite your shaded jaded view point of things. I wonder if you are a Browns fan or just a fan of whatever Michigan schmo we might have on the team

You wanna see Mrs. Nude Santa again Gip?🤩

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Name any game where he made a positive impact on that is discernible. Beyond this one that is

God damn you're a fucking idiot. It just pains you so much to say something positive haha.

Let's go with the Saints game where he was our highest graded defender. 

We've done all of this before. I think the problem is you want "discernable" impact but you can't discern much... 

Random thoughts

Pregame on NFL network two of three talking heads picked the Browns

Post game - saw Baker w/o pads sitting next to Terrel Davis,   Guess whose shoulders looked broader?     

Post came, kinda funny that Baker was trading Jerseys with #30 from Denver....

Not so great:  

- Like I said earlier, game plan for the opposing defenses was blueprinted by the Steelers and Chargers, we've seen it duplicated with the last couple defenses that have a pulse.

- Baker missed some things early, and that INT right before the half was him locking onto his #1 realizing he missed the open post the series before on a similar concept.  Denver was ready and capitalized.   

- Going along the lines of things Baker missed, he did take them (the pivot and underneath return routes we saw late half) when the defense was giving them.  Those reads were there earlier but sometimes Mayfield really gets happy driving the ball downfield.  2 times in the last 3 weeks he has gotten a little trigger happy going that.     Fortunately the Broncos offense is in no condition to make us pay for those mistakes like Houston did.  IIRC that little scramble and trying to fit the ball in to Calloway could have been thrown shorter for near guaranteed yards.  The smart and consistent little plays make a difference youngin'.  

- Jamie Collins being targeted in coverage.

- Avery in coverage

- Coach Williams on the 4th down timeout and then the 4th down playcall.     

- Coach Williams on the 4th &2 in the final drive and electing to NOT use a timeout to get his defense set. 

- Williams attempting to blitz himself out of trouble on the final drive.   BALLSY strategy, Cotton.   But in the end it did pay off.  

- Myles gets frustrated when he can't make too much of that 'sack' impact.  Easy, youngblood.  Remember that pressures and knock downs over the course of a game go a long way.   When you jump offsides that tackle then doesn't expect you to keep up with the outside speed, so he isn't worried about locking down that corner as much.  Negates your inside rip move.  That is a two fold monster.

- The backside square/slant to Chubb.   I mean, I get WHY... but at the same time it's an oddball call given that with the cushion some of the CB's were giving - that should have been Duke's role.

- Njoku being underthrown or not trusted to win his assignment.   I'll elaborate on that latter part after I re-watch and confirm what I saw live.  

- Flags.  Flags everywhere, Jesus tap dancing Christ.

Things I liked:

- The defense making Lindsay the priority to the tune of 1.7ypc.   The kid is warrior and great feel good story, but 180lb RB's don't shoulder the load for long.  Especially on interior runs.         We've beaten the team we should beat.  Which is saying this young team is getting better.   But superior offenses will still put us in a bind.

- Perriman.  Kid has made some great strides since joining this organization and if he keeps this up can be retained as a quality contributor on the cheap.

- Pep Pep.   Career day, kid.  Showing some of the potential he has, provided he puts it all together mentally.   The light isn't "on", but then again I don't ever believe that happens with anyone.   The light simply grows brighter and that's the direction he is trending.   

- Schobert flying around in man and tracking running backs is fun to watch.

- TFL and TFNG.  We had quite a few tonight and some of them were big.

- The backend.   Overall they played quite well despite missing arguably our best DB.   Having Ward out there with Mitch, Pep, Calhoun and Carrie is a respectable secondary.

- Interior Oline.  Another solid game for the most part.    The holding on Chubbs big run from Robinson hurt but didn't cost us a dub.    Hubbard did some ok work on Von when he was over on that side.    But the Denver pass rush from Chubb and Miller is pretty impressive.  

- Winning.   I'm told this has happened before.   Feels pretty great to be completely honest.  Browns and playoff hunt isn't something I've heard much of in a long while.

- Baker checking protections and making some audibles at the line.  For what I said at the top of this post, there are also signs of some growth that keep me from being too pessimistic.  It starts by having a rookie QB with the right attitude.   If anyone ever tells you that attitude doesn't mean something, point to Manziel for me.   Right now Baker is playing like many here expected Johnny to be.   Which in and of itself is bittersweet in a way.  

Random thoughts: 

- Man, I was really hoping Roby would be a quality NFL DB but he has been about average so far.

- Did anyone else know Phillip Lindsay was undrafted?  The way they repeated it time and time again last night I could hear it in my fucking sleep.

- Vance McDonald might not be a good coach but with a QB like Keenum we may never know. 

- That said, when it comes to GM's I like seeing make overpayment type mistakes, Horse Face Elway is at the top.

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Leaving points off the board had to kill Baker at halftime. I saw a guy that kept his cool & let Freddie, Duke and Chubb get us to a lead at 11 mins. left.Perriman,Landry,Njoke,Callaway got there's too. We made "the drives" this time with under 8 mins. left..Than the whole 46 active balled out into a ball'in unit doing good stuff..Team Win..this was a awesome growing up win to the future. One man's opinion, but Those were properly mostly sooners fans filling up downtown Denver? maybe..but The Land deserves a full house next Sunday..I don't care if Haslam has to drop a dime to get public schools in those seats..His team deserves at least that much..Go Browns!!  

It's the 3rd time this year Baker forced a pass before half time that resulted in a pick. I'd REALLY like to see him LEARN from those mistakes and not go for the homerun there. This was the type of game where a FG could mean the difference between winning and losing. I absolutely love his aggressive approach to the game, but he really needs to understand game flow and situations. But hey, we freaking won and it feels amazing! 

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

God damn you're a fucking idiot. It just pains you so much to say something positive haha.

Let's go with the Saints game where he was our highest graded defender. 

We've done all of this before. I think the problem is you want "discernable" impact but you can't discern much... 

When are you going to become a fan of this team and not a fan of just one guy on it. I can discern plenty but I’ve never discerned him being more than below average maybe one or two games he’s done all right but this is the first time he’s done anything significant to contribute to a win 

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

When are you going to become a fan of this team and not a fan of just one guy on it. I can discern plenty but I’ve never discerned him being more than below average maybe one or two games he’s done all right but this is the first time he’s done anything significant to contribute to a win 

Yes I've been here for years with almost 20k posts but I'm not a fan of this team.... Right.

Thanks for making my point btw with the rest of your post.

A couple random thoughts.

Man, rough game for Baker. I notice he never underthrows when he’s off, always overthrows.

Peppers good. I actually thought Collins played a fantastic game.

Duke mothafuckin’ Juhnson had a helluva game. Anyone see that blitz pickup of his when we were driving down 10-7? Slid from right to center to pick up a blitzer with a big head of steam. 

Oh, and l would add the largely disciplined play of the defense. Big plus there. I felt like Keenum and the home crowd threw a lot at them with hard count and changing plays and such and we reacted well. Did we have a deffensive offsides?

And as a side note, that horse’s neigh thing they do when the Browns had 3rd down is really, really stupid. Who the fuck wants to hear that at a football game?

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes I've been here for years with almost 20k posts but I'm not a fan of this team.... Right

How long have you been on here?

Because if you've been on here for a long time, I'd imagine 15k of those posts were used to defend Braylon Edwards. 😝

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

How long have you been on here?

Because if you've been on here for a long time, I'd imagine 15k of those posts were used to defend Braylon Edwards. 😝

That's not true.....some were for Jabril. 

General thoughts before reading the thread...

Coaches first:

1. Gregg... I'm pulling for you, but you did not help yourself with the TO. If you are going to go on 4th and short, go in the flow. You snuffed out the result you wanted. However, once called you had time to think. I was sure you'd opt for the FG and make it a 4-pt game. Had you done so I think the end would have been a lot easier on our stomach linings.
  2. Kitchens... the above 4th and short take 2 was begging for either a read option or a naked boot. Keep that in mind.
  3. lil Williams... I hadn't even realized your emerging DC role. You've got promise, kid. Way to dial up the pressure at the end... nice design to spring Peppers free up the middle.

Offense first:

1. Maybe there was something to the altitude, air-resistance thing... saw more overthrows by Baker than I can remember in any other game to date.
  2. Love Perriman's play more with each passing week (pun unintended), but... the dude needs to learn to walk away. He got the flag for being "punched". Why it wasn't enough is beyond me.
  3. As for the rest of the team on the above... how could no one see what was developing, step in and drag his ass away before the hat flew? The "punch" should have brought teammates running. There was time to recognize and intercede.
  4. Landry... you should have been the first one to the above. If you are going to lead this WR room and stir up shit on the field... as you do... you have to enforce the discipline to "walk away".
  5. To Higgins/Callaway respectively... you're like silk/congrats on your best game. I know Callaway did not house one this week, but his route tree is growing and he made multiple tough catches.
  6. To Robinson... dude... you're huge... you're strong... you're fast. If you can get to an LB and hug him, you were in position to blast your hands into his breast plate and knock him on his ass. You owe Chubb a dinner for taking away his first breakaway run.
  7. To the OL... nice overall effort especially on the edges against their sack "stars" in PassPro, but there were several breakdowns in the middle that neutered our ground attack early and often. Gotsis is a good player, but y'all made him look like an All-Pro... like what you are supposed to be.
  8. To Devalve... you may not be a devastating blocker (yet), but you showed the interest in becoming one in your FB stints in the "I"... Keep up the work.
  9. To Baker... when you have a guy doing the dirty work Devalve did... find a way to reward them. Work on that with Kitchens this week, OK?
  10. To Njoku... just keep doing what you're doing. Way to present yourself to your scrambling QB to convert that 3rd and 13. Great effort on the late stretch for the 1st down. I don't know if you made it, but I know you got very, very close.
  11. And finally... more to Baker... just keep being yourself. And remember most of the greats, even Payton Manning, went against script keeping the ball every now and then in a clutch short-yardage situation.

Defense later...

It's funny, Gregg Williams almost channeled his inner Hue Jackson at the end. I didn't like the call to go for it on 4th and 1 at all, and making a team score a TD to win with no timeouts sure sounded good to me. Then, Gregg calls the freaking timeout right before their guy jumps offsides. I forget when, but I KNOW I remember Hue doing the same thing one year. Fortunately we still won, but I don't think Gregg was in his right mind there. The plan was to go for a hard count, then sneak it. But you know what? To Gregg's credit, he remained extremely aggressive. He sent the freaking house on 3rd and 4th down. No prevent here. I probably screamed louder after that sack than I have in years. What a win. Let's get back to the drawing board, fix our mistakes, and keep this thing ROLLING. 

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

General thoughts before reading the thread...

Coaches first:

1. Gregg... I'm pulling for you, but you did not help yourself with the TO. If you are going to go on 4th and short, go in the flow. You snuffed out the result you wanted. However, once called you had time to think. I was sure you'd opt for the FG and make it a 4-pt game. Had you done so I think the end would have been a lot easier on our stomach linings.
  2. Kitchens... the above 4th and short take 2 was begging for either a read option or a naked boot. Keep that in mind.
  3. lil Williams... I hadn't even realized your emerging DC role. You've got promise, kid. Way to dial up the pressure at the end... nice design to spring Peppers free up the middle.

Offense first:

1. Maybe there was something to the altitude, air-resistance thing... saw more overthrows by Baker than I can remember in any other game to date.
  2. Love Perriman's play more with each passing week (pun unintended), but... the dude needs to learn to walk away. He got the flag for being "punched". Why it wasn't enough is beyond me.
  3. As for the rest of the team on the above... how could no one see what was developing, step in and drag his ass away before the hat flew? The "punch" should have brought teammates running. There was time to recognize and intercede.
  4. Landry... you should have been the first one to the above. If you are going to lead this WR room and stir up shit on the field... as you do... you have to enforce the discipline to "walk away".
  5. To Higgins/Callaway respectively... you're like silk/congrats on your best game. I know Callaway did not house one this week, but his route tree is growing and he made multiple tough catches.
  6. To Robinson... dude... you're huge... you're strong... you're fast. If you can get to an LB and hug him, you were in position to blast your hands into his breast plate and knock him on his ass. You owe Chubb a dinner for taking away his first breakaway run.
  7. To the OL... nice overall effort especially on the edges against their sack "stars" in PassPro, but there were several breakdowns in the middle that neutered our ground attack early and often. Gotsis is a good player, but y'all made him look like an All-Pro... like what you are supposed to be.
  8. To Devalve... you may not be a devastating blocker (yet), but you showed the interest in becoming one in your FB stints in the "I"... Keep up the work.
  9. To Baker... when you have a guy doing the dirty work Devalve did... find a way to reward them. Work on that with Kitchens this week, OK?
  10. To Njoku... just keep doing what you're doing. Way to present yourself to your scrambling QB to convert that 3rd and 13. Great effort on the late stretch for the 1st down. I don't know if you made it, but I know you got very, very close.
  11. And finally... more to Baker... just keep being yourself. And remember most of the greats, even Payton Manning, went against script keeping the ball every now and then in a clutch short-yardage situation.

Defense later...

Don't forget Njoku making that terrific 4th and 3 catch, too! 

anyone else notice bakers ball wasn't the tight spiral it usually is? Im really wondering if that air had something to do with his throws. Maybe the way the ball comes out of his hand, it needs air resistance? I dunno this is some sports science stuff now. But his arm looked fine, his throwing motion was the same...but the ball came out funny. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes I've been here for years with almost 20k posts but I'm not a fan of this team.... Right.

Thanks for making my point btw with the rest of your post.

One game ever with any impact one game. You have to go search for some esoteric statTo attempt to show any production

Archived