THE BROWNS BOARD

HEY Jimmy put a lid on it

Babernakle

Cleveland’s stadium is unique for one resin it sets right on the water and the wind and weather roar across that lake and the weather suck. Put side and a lid on to keep the wind and rain out and don’t heat it if that’s what you want But if I was to guess if you took a pole the mass majority would want a done.  

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, I have NO problem with Baker saying what he did. In fact, I freaking love it. I mean, the balls on this kid, right? And this is what our team needed. In fact, it's one of the biggest reasons I was screaming to draft him since about February. I said we needed the attitude almost more than we needed the talent. 

As far as the concessions go, the entire entertainment universe can go suck a bag. I don't know when it all started to go so wrong, but a freaking beer should not be $12. It's deplorable and completely unethical, and frankly, I've been tired of it for years. Things were much different in my father's generation, and they somehow made a family work on ONE income AND somehow found money for some kind of family vacation and sporting events. How many families thrive on one income now? Not many. I live in Florida and try to go to a game a year, and THAT'S financially difficult. And the game I went to was fun (Saints), but I will NEVER go to another dome game in my life. Nothing but advertisements all game long over the speakers, and it was just terrible. Hated it. 

18 hours ago, Babernakle said:

Baker came out and said he wants more fans in the stands. I don’t blame him for than he’s kept his ends of the bargain, but dam it’s cold this time of year. We have all been there this time of year and it’s cold but when the wind is blowing which is always fuk me I’m out sorry baker. So jimmy how bout you bust out some cash and put a roof on the stadium and enclose the sides. Hell he wouldn’t have to heat the dam place. But if this is a glimps of the future it’s time to sweeten the put and treat the fans just a little more 

If Baker Mayfield goes into year 3 and the browns are still contending it'll take care of itself. That place will be absolutely packed rain, shine or snow. The fans are still responding to 20 years of futility. 

29 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

First of all, I have NO problem with Baker saying what he did. In fact, I freaking love it. I mean, the balls on this kid, right? And this is what our team needed. In fact, it's one of the biggest reasons I was screaming to draft him since about February. I said we needed the attitude almost more than we needed the talent. 

As far as the concessions go, the entire entertainment universe can go suck a bag. I don't know when it all started to go so wrong, but a freaking beer should not be $12. It's deplorable and completely unethical, and frankly, I've been tired of it for years. Things were much different in my father's generation, and they somehow made a family work on ONE income AND somehow found money for some kind of family vacation and sporting events. How many families thrive on one income now? Not many. I live in Florida and try to go to a game a year, and THAT'S financially difficult. And the game I went to was fun (Saints), but I will NEVER go to another dome game in my life. Nothing but advertisements all game long over the speakers, and it was just terrible. Hated it. 

It's possible to support a family on one income. I've been doing it for five years. It requires planning budgeting and some amount of sacrifice though. I think the country at large has lost the ability to do that. 

4 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

It's possible to support a family on one income. I've been doing it for five years. It requires planning budgeting and some amount of sacrifice though. I think the country at large has lost the ability to do that. 

True, but wages have not kept up with inflation. Its both reasons. 

7 hours ago, 5150k9 said:

How is it that the New England Patriots sell out every home game with an outdoor stadium and they have  probably just as bad weather.

Because they're winning....almost every game.   When that ends, so will the sell outs.  When I was young, and they weren't winning, my buds & I could decide to go to a game, drive up, buy tickets, and sit almost anywhere we wanted.  IN GOOD WEATHER.

Fans will go to games in bad weather, even if the team isn't great, if there's a dome.  If there's no dome, and the team is mediocre,  and it's phucking cold or rainy...hey, a percentage of people are NOT gonna go and sit in miserable weather.

I live in Central PA.  My dad worked in Cleveland for 30 years and commuted each weekend back home to Central PA to our family.  He wanted us to move, but my mom didn't want to leave her family who mostly lived within a 30 minute radius of us.  My dad NEVER missed a weekend to get back home.  He would tell me about driving on Interstate 80 in a snow storm in the 70's and only seeing 10 cars the whole 220 miles.  Vacation to me was Sea World and getting to Browns camp at Kent St. when I was 10.  My dad passed away 7 years ago.  I am also a high school football coach, and can never get to a Browns game until our season is over.  We just finished two weeks ago and I can't wait to get to Cleveland for the Bungles game.  My two daughters, 13 and 15 will make the trip with me, just as they have for the past 10 years.  I have made the trip in snow, ice, sun, and rain.  I love it.  It can be 50 or 10 below.  My daughters know the deal, dress warm and root like hell.  The worst part of any trip to Cleveland is leaving.  Knowing how much my dad did for me while he was on this earth, he would want me to make this trip, no matter what the weather was like.  Can't wait to see the "Welcome to Ohio" sign as I listen to any radio station that talks about my Browns.  

1 hour ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Sure Cysko, there are definitely single-income families, and that's why I said there aren't "many". But there aren't as many now as there were 30 years ago, and it's not primarily because of discipline and budgeting.  Saying that, I do believe you have a point in that spending responsibly and budgeting seem to be “lost arts”, and too many people are saddling themselves with various kinds of debt.  I’m not trying to get into a social discussion here, but the primary reason for the severe reduction in single income households (obviously this doesn’t include single parent households, which is an entire OTHER story) is wage stagnation.  Wages haven’t gone up (in relation to inflation) consistently in 25 years or so.  Not only that, employers have adopted the line of thinking that their employees should just be thankful they HAVE a job, so things like raises and benefit increases are sparsely mentioned.  For example, in an 8 stretch at the government, I got ONE raise.  It was 1.4%.  The funny thing about that raise was right when we got it, the senate passed a bill that required 3% more of our salaries go to our retirement, AND they increased our health insurance premiums.  So I ended up losing money after my only raise in 8 years. 

Anyways, I’ll stop.  This is a football thread, and I’m sorry for getting off topic like I always do.  The main football point I was attempting to make is that people don’t have the disposable income available like they used to.  That being said, our Browns keep putting a good product on the field and we continue to win at home, those seats WILL be filled sooner than later, and it will be an atmosphere unlike any other in the NFL.  Baker needs to understand what the fans have been through, and I’m willing to bet many fans are still in a “prove it to me” mode before making that ticket purchase.  Me personally?  If I lived in Cleveland, I would literally rearrange my budget to make room for season tickets, even if they were crappy seats.  I’m completely sold on our young QB, and good times are coming.  I feel it. 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Hell, they'd not only have to heat it when it's 10 degrees out- that roof won't be R-30, air conditioning would have to be installed too- for use when it's 85 degrees in the summer. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess how much the utility bill is on a domed stadium that size- you willing to pay it? That eventually would be factored in to your ticket price, and guys are already complaining it's too expensive. I can tell you this much- the 10 circuit breakers on my 10 story hospital building were set up to handle 170 kilovolts- and that's penny ante for a stadium that's at least 10 times that size. 

Yawn- I was at the game Sunday, with a Tailgate temperature starting off at 17 degrees,  and hate to tell you I wasn't cold- and I didn't even have all my heavy duty cold weather gear on. Some guys are just going to be too cheap to buy a pair of Sorel boots, lined windproof pants, couple layers of synthetics, a nice windproof parka, ski gloves, and a nice cap. Here's a good place to start shopping....   https://www.mountainhardwear.com/

A quick perusal shows there are at least nine other open air NFL stadiums that have the potential to have game temperatures in the teens or lower- so why aren't their fans crying to have domes? As the above poster said- the Patriots playoff games are sold out- and I remember a couple being played in snowstorms. Back at the old stadium in the Kosar days- Modell had no problems totally selling out 80,000 (not the current 67,000) tickets to playoff games. Winning will bring the fans back regardless of the weather.  While I'm at it- those wimps in Tampa are crying they want a dome- because it's too hot in September and October. Boo-hoo. 

First- the 100 level of First Energy is already 100% sold out to season ticket holders. I'm in Section 111.  Honked me off the sheer number of guys who were willing to sit at home and sell their tickets on StubHub et al to Panthers fans. As to selling out- got a feeling there will still be tickets available in the 500 level next year.  

Believe me, and I already said it- I feel for the guys who have a family. One game a year is a big expense to take the wife and kids to a game. I'm paying close to $2,000 every year for my two seats, and that doesn't count wear and tear on the car + gas money for the 440 mile round trip to Cleveland. 

PS- should you decide to go, we can give you directions to the Board Tailgate lot. It's still $10 bucks, about a 20 minute walk, but if you have small kids- the Rapid Station is a few hundred feet away and for an extra $2 per person, it will drop you off right at the stadium. 

NICE! Thank you for the invite. Kids are now 17 and 19, so they can walk... Like the old saying about chopping wood.. Warms you twice, once when you chop it, once when you burn it.. The walk will keep us warm :):) ...

I will let you know if we get the tickets. And YES we will be in the 500 section. Not the best way to watch a game, but I want to feel the energy of the stadium more than see replays on my warm chair at home...

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Ya know what?  For many people, as they get older (I'm over 60 now), ya just can't stay out in the cold as long as you could when you were young, drunk & stoned.  The body ages and the extremities get colder, faster.   PLUS, ya get WISER as ya get older.....and ya think it's just down right stupid to sit in cold, sideways rain for multiple hours.  But hey, knock yourselves out. lol

Yea, I agree, at my age I have no interest in sitting out in the cold.  I just do not react as well to the cold as I used to.  If I were doing some physical activity, that may be different. I am thinking about doing a trip where one day I would do some snowmobiling.  But just sitting there in the cold, no matter how entertaining the game may be?  Don't think I could handle that..expecially when dealing with diabetes and arthritis.

11 hours ago, 5150k9 said:

So my question to the post is this… How is it that the New England Patriots sell out every home game with an outdoor stadium and they have  probably just as bad weather. Now dont get me wrong, I don’t live in Ohio,  I became a Browns fan since I was a kid because of Brian Sipe on TV. And Yes I live in California. One of these days I will make it to a home winter game in Cleveland and I may have a different opinion. But I think with winning will  sellout games.  You should see the beer and concession prices out here in California, they are absolutely insane. But this is a F’d up state. 

Hello!  McFly!  Is anybody home?    They have won 5 Super Bowls and lost 3  in the last  18 years.    They are constantly in the hunt for the Super Bowl.  Its called winning.  If they had the same record as the Browns over that period, that stadium would be deserted...far more than the Browns stadium.

awn- I was at the game Sunday, with a Tailgate temperature starting off at 17 degrees,  and hate to tell you I wasn't cold- and I didn't even have all my heavy duty cold weather gear on. Some guys are just going to be too cheap to buy a pair of Sorel boots, lined windproof pants, couple layers of synthetics, a nice windproof parka, ski gloves, and a nice cap. Here's a good place to start shopping....   https://www.mountainhardwear.com/

If I do that brief snowmobiling trip, I may have to consult you on what to wear.   You interested?  It would be to northwest Michigan if I did it.

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Anytime I have gone to a game....the couple of away games, and those at home, I never buy the concessions.  I do my eating and drinking before the game...and then after.  You won't starve if you don't eat during the game, and you won't die of thirst as long as you have hydrated beforehand.

45 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Anytime I have gone to a game....the couple of away games, and those at home, I never buy the concessions.  I do my eating and drinking before the game...and then after.  You won't starve if you don't eat during the game, and you won't die of thirst as long as you have hydrated beforehand.

Of course not, but that's not really the point.  Just because you CAN charge a certain amount, doesn't mean you should.  

Check out what the Falcons did.  Makes perfect sense to me.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15560867/atlanta-falcons-offer-lowest-concession-prices-major-team-sports-new-mercedes-benz-stadium

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Of course not, but that's not really the point.  Just because you CAN charge a certain amount, doesn't mean you should.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15560867/atlanta-falcons-offer-lowest-concession-prices-major-team-sports-new-mercedes-benz-stadium

Those prices are reasonable.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Well.....these stadiums WILL charge the maximum amount they think they can get away with.....even if they should or shouldn't.  If you buy their shit at those prices then you just enable them to maintain those pricing policies.   If nobody would buy their 12 dollar beers, then they would reduce the price.

8 hours ago, Babernakle said:

Cleveland’s stadium is unique for one reason it sets right on the water and the wind and weather roar across that lake and the weather suck. Put side and a lid on to keep the wind and rain out and don’t heat it if that’s what you want But if I was to guess if you took a poll the mass majority would want a dome.  

And I'd bet you'd be wrong. When First Energy was originally built- there was talk of making it a dome. But the vast majority of fans wanted it replicated as closely as possible to the old place. And if you want my major gripe about FE- that's exactly what they did, compared to other "new" stadiums like Paul Brown and Lucas Oil- the space behind the stands in Cleveland is sardine city. Other venues have at least two times (or more) the breathing room back there for halftime and pre & post game.

But regarding weather. Hell's bells, Cleveland weather doesn't usually even start getting bad until early November, and I've been at games in December when the temperature was in the 50s. Sorry, but that's just first class wimpitis. Do you realize there are electric socks and gloves for your types?  I'll grant you this one concession. Sitting in the last couple rows of the 500 level on the North side of the stadium when the wind is coming off the Lake with the temperature in the 30s, isn't the most pleasant experience in the world. Been there, done that. So buy seats lower down.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yawn- I was at the game Sunday, with a Tailgate temperature starting off at 17 degrees,  and hate to tell you I wasn't cold- and I didn't even have all my heavy duty cold weather gear on. Some guys are just going to be too cheap to buy a pair of Sorel boots, lined windproof pants, couple layers of synthetics, a nice windproof parka, ski gloves, and a nice cap. Here's a good place to start shopping....   https://www.mountainhardwear.com/

If I do that brief snowmobiling trip, I may have to consult you on what to wear.   You interested?  It would be to northwest Michigan if I did it.

I'll certainly be more than happy to advise you on snowmobiling wear, but actually doing a snowmobile thing really doesn't appeal to me. Sounds like you're familiar with the area- and when we did skiing (before the wife broke her arm on a ski trip- sort of ended that activity) we did a couple trips up to Boyne and Boyne Highlands- and the outside temperatures were in the single digits. Ripping down a ski slope at 10+ mph put the wind chill well below zero.   

6 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Those prices are reasonable.

Exactly. Those prices are PERFECT. Now compare those to Cleveland, or anywhere else. Not even close. If Atlanta can do it, we can do it. You make stuff more affordable and people won't have to load up before the game. 

I was at the game this pass Sunday and my view is first, I didn't think it was too cold this past Sunday. It wasn't the coldest game I have been too and every other game I have been too is in Charlotte. Also the seat prices were very good, for the seat I had at the game, would have been close to nose bleed in Charlotte. And playing outside for a northern team is advantage, those dome teams or southern teams don't want to play in the north outside in the winter. Winning will put more butts in the seats, not a dome.

I'm probably going to shut this thread down soon- it's going nowhere, those that want living room comfort going to a game when it's in the 20s can travel to warmer climes and domed stadiums to watch the Browns when the weather gets cold. As of now the 2019 warm away games would be the 49ers in San Fran and the Cardinals in Arizona. Subject to change- the Broncos (again) and the Titans. 

And to those wishin' and a hopein' for a dome in Cleveland- please come up with a rational plan on how to come up with the $200 million to make it happen. I'll be waiting for suggestions....   

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

As of now the 2019 warm away games would be the 49ers in San Fran.

Ummm...its not exactly warm in Santa Clara where the 49ers play.  Not as bad as it used to be at old Candlestink Park but its not exactly a warm climate.   Though it might be a game for me to make the trip up the coast for....pretty cheap flights on Southwest to the bay area if you plan ahead.

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

Ummm...its not exactly warm in Santa Clara where the 49ers play.  Not as bad as it used to be at old Candlestink Park but its not exactly a warm climate.   Though it might be a game for me to make the trip up the coast for....pretty cheap flights on Southwest to the bay area if you plan ahead.

LOL, what Mark Twain said- "the coldest winter I ever had was a summer in San Francisco."  Well aware of that Mark when the fog rolls in off the ocean- 50 degrees is a pretty miserable cold and damp in those conditions...   

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

LOL, what Mark Twain said- "the coldest winter I ever had was a summer in San Francisco."  Well aware of that Mark when the fog rolls in off the ocean- 50 degrees is a pretty miserable cold and damp in those conditions...   

Coldest I've ever been at a sporting event.   The January 1981 Browns/Raiders playoff game, Browns/Chargers in early December 2009 (WTF was I thinking), and Padres/Giants at Candlestink in September 1998, it was 80 degrees during the day that day and it was in the 40's during the game and felt colder.  Ordered coffee, not to drink...just to hold onto it so it would keep my hands warm for awhile.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

And to those wishin' and a hopein' for a dome in Cleveland- please come up with a rational plan on how to come up with the $200 million to make it happen. I'll be waiting for suggestions....   

How do the insanely rich folks who own professional sports teams usually get their palaces built that their teams play in hoorta?

They figure out a way to get us working stiffs to pay for it. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

How do the insanely rich folks who own professional sports teams usually get their palaces built that their teams play in hoorta?

They figure out a way to get us working stiffs to pay for it. 

I said rational plan. 

That's sort of my point. MHO there's no way the City of Cleveland or Cuyahoga County are going to fork out $200 million, just to put a Dome over the stadium. You'd have to get state money involved- even less likely- Ohio isn't Nevada.  Haslam can't pull the extortion trick until 2024 either. Eventually- the affected communities- i.e. the working stiffs- are going to say a billion or two for a new NFL pleasure palace is too damn rich for our blood. San Diego and Oakland already did. What is it with these guys, you have a 20 year old stadium and it's already obsolete? & anyhow looks like Jimmy is\was just doing a feasibility study that will amount to nothing. The majority of us well knew when they built CBS, now known as First Energy- it was never designed to be retrofitted with a dome. 

If you've been following this thread, going to an NFL game for a family of four has already been priced out of the reach of a lot of fans. So follow along- why would Joe Six Pack vote money to build, or improve a stadium that he can't even afford the price of admission to? 

54 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I said rational plan. 

That's sort of my point. MHO there's no way the City of Cleveland or Cuyahoga County are going to fork out $200 million, just to put a Dome over the stadium. You'd have to get state money involved- even less likely- Ohio isn't Nevada.  Haslam can't pull the extortion trick until 2024 either. Eventually- the affected communities- i.e. the working stiffs- are going to say a billion or two for a new NFL pleasure palace is too damn rich for our blood. San Diego and Oakland already did. What is it with these guys, you have a 20 year old stadium and it's already obsolete? & anyhow looks like Jimmy is\was just doing a feasibility study that will amount to nothing. The majority of us well knew when they built CBS, now known as First Energy- it was never designed to be retrofitted with a dome. 

If you've been following this thread, going to an NFL game for a family of four has already been priced out of the reach of a lot of fans. So follow along- why would Joe Six Pack vote money to build, or improve a stadium that he can't even afford the price of admission to? 

If I'm not mistaken.. Isnt the sin tax still in place?

On 12/11/2018 at 11:44 AM, Babernakle said:

Baker came out and said he wants more fans in the stands. I don’t blame him for than he’s kept his ends of the bargain, but dam it’s cold this time of year. We have all been there this time of year and it’s cold but when the wind is blowing which is always fuk me I’m out sorry baker. So jimmy how bout you bust out some cash and put a roof on the stadium and enclose the sides. Hell he wouldn’t have to heat the dam place. But if this is a glimps of the future it’s time to sweeten the put and treat the fans just a little more 

Hey Babernuts. and I say that with love. I am now worried about you. If you say blasphemous shit like this in public, you would get hung outside naked by your peepee and spray painted orange and Brown. As you can see from the reaction, to a real Browns fan the thought of a roof and an enclosed stadium is as appealing as offering free testicle removal using a football tee. Here are some statistics for you....

• Men who attend home games in a domed stadium are 137.288 % likely to become homosexual, if they already aren't. 
  • Women who attend home games in a domed stadium are whores, and 204.3 % more likely to have adultery in the bathrooms.
  • Browns fans who talk about wanting a dome stadium are 3,751% more likely to be deported and/or have big things shoved up their ass

Don't be that guy. Go get yourself some battery headed underwear, put your granrled off, nubby divk into a thimble, cover it with a sock and go watch you some browns out in the elements. It'll make a man out of you.

🙂  Nuthin but love, dude.

9 hours ago, nickers said:

If I'm not mistaken.. Isnt the sin tax still in place?

Yes, it is. Did a little research for you. It's a relative drop in the bucket. Generates $15 million a year. Not only that, it gets split three ways between the Browns, Indians, and Cavs. Pays for ongoing maintenance (like a new roof for the Q) and not much more.

Archived