THE BROWNS BOARD

Steps for next year

Westside Steve

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/10/fixing-the-cleveland-browns-2019-offseason-plan/

I thought this is a pretty interesting article. I do question the idea that William should be gone, especially with a couple more wins this season. If Kitchens and Mayfield are compatible I don't know that I want to see a new offensive system with all new terminology brought in. I would like to see William adjust the defense to slow down the Run.

WSS

for what ever reason the writer seems to have a ax to grind with williams  saying that he doe's not agree with his coaching or teaching of the team he also go's on to say that if we keep kitchens running are offense that we should get a defensive head coach (don't we all ready have one )

1) Malcom Brown is only expendable because of the NE emergence of... Shelton.  If we get a DL to replace Meder it has to be a first-rounder.. because the gap in performance between Meder and Brown/Shelton is actually negligible at best, and it makes no sense to spend $7M for the same outcome you'd get by re-signing Meder to 950k.

2) Avery is not a starter in this league because he can't cover in space - but every good team has good backups.

3) Good point that Arians runs the same offense Hue tried to run.. which isn't a fit here no matter how many times it would be tried.

4) Kitchens for OC? Might as well.. I can't imagine any better outcome with this season's cast being remotely probable.

5) Trenton Brown? I liked him when he was named Desmond Harrison - the project that seems to have potential but needs to add a lot o strength.

6) We did decently well this past off-season signing DB's.. sure, that can be tried again, but results would probably be the same.

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/10/fixing-the-cleveland-browns-2019-offseason-plan/

I thought this is a pretty interesting article. I do question the idea that William should be gone, especially with a couple more wins this season. If Kitchens and Mayfield are compatible I don't know that I want to see a new offensive system with all new terminology brought in. I would like to see William adjust the defense to slow down the Run.

WSS

Couldn't disagree more with this asshat... He clearly knows nothing about coaching and football...

6 hours ago, ATOM said:

for what ever reason the writer seems to have a ax to grind with williams  saying that he doe's not agree with his coaching or teaching of the team he also go's on to say that if we keep kitchens running are offense that we should get a defensive head coach (don't we all ready have one )

Me either...the pluto article about how the players pick each other up speaks volumes to what the hc is doing riggt

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Here's the problem I have with Gregg Williams as the long-term head coach:

Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator for Gregg Williams, head coach. 

I believe that, were Greg hired as HC, his son Blake would become D coordinator.

Mike

12 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I believe that, were Greg hired as HC, his son Blake would become D coordinator.

Mike

Yes, I think so too.

Listen, it's up to Dorsey, but if Baker is happy with Kitchens, and Williams has instilled discipline and an expectation of winning of every week ... don't overthink it.

If we go out to Denver and beat them at home, then end the search, make Williams HC with a 4-year deal give Kitchens a nice contract (He's going to be heavily recruited) Now to stay on as offensive guru and let Blake take over defense. Two young hungry guys calling the plays and one no-nonsense hardass running the ship.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Yes, I think so too.

Listen, it's up to Dorsey, but if Baker is happy with Kitchens, and Williams has instilled discipline and an expectation of winning of every week ... don't overthink it.

If we go out to Denver and beat them at home, then end the search, make Williams HC with a 4-year deal give Kitchens a nice contract (He's going to be heavily recruited) Now to stay on as offensive guru and let Blake take over defense. Two young hungry guys calling the plays and one no-nonsense hardass running the ship.

Zombo

I realize that “winning cures all” and the team is vibing right now because they’ve had some success, but I wonder if breaking up the coaching staff is really the smartest move when it’s obvious the players are responding so well to what we currently have on staff.  You can tell when you watch their play, listen to their interviews, see their reactions, and a ton of other small things.  It’s very obvious the team is “buying in” to whatever it is Gregg is selling. 

Like Gregg has said before, the players WANT discipline.  They want to know consequences for actions are going to be fair and consistent.  They want to be held to high standards, to be accountable.  And let’s not act like Gregg is all discipline and no heart, far from it.  You can tell by the celebrations after the game how much this means to our coach, and just how much the players want to win for him.  Heck, just listen to Gregg’s pressers after the game and during the week.  I can’t believe I actually listen to every single one of his conference calls or media pressers because I never used to.  Hue Jackson would get up to the podium and I’d turn the channel INSTANTLY.  Now, I find myself completely intrigued by what Gregg says, and he provides some real insight to the team.  You get the feeling that Gregg isn’t sugar-coating anything and he just tells it like it is.  From a fan standpoint, it’s refreshing, and I think the fans AND media are starting to get used to Gregg and honestly like him. 

Gregg is really just a part of the equation, and the other main variable is Freddie Kitchens.  Obviously I don’t have any NFL connections, but I can tell you Freddie Kitchens is going to be an OC next year somewhere.  You guys remember when Todd Haley let Kitchens call the plays for our last preseason game against the Lions?  At the time I didn’t think it was a big deal, but I remember liking our offensive scheme that game and I want to say we did well.  Now, we can see that Kitchens really DOES have a good feel for the game, and he’s just beginning to LEARN how to call plays.  That’s what we have to remember.  If Kitchens is in the infancy of his play-calling career and doing this well, do we REALLY want to cut him loose and let another team reap the rewards of our nurturing?  Oh, and there’s the not-so-small factor that Baker Mayfield is thriving under Kitchens with the same exact personnel that Haley and Hue had to work with, so why would we want to screw that up?  Bring in another “offensive mind” so Baker can learn all new schemes, language, formations, audibles, etc?  Does that really make sense?  Wouldn’t it seem more logical to keep the exact playbook, so instead of LEARNING a new system, Baker can now work to MASTER it?

My gut tells me that Gregg and Kitchens don’t have a great chance to stay.  I can’t think of a single coach that would take the head coaching job, only for Dorsey to tell him that Kitchens has to stay.  Not only that, I don’t believe we’re going to finish the season on a very high note.  I’m not being “negative”, I just don’t think we’re going to win at Denver, and I don’t think we’ll win at Baltimore, either.  I’m picking us to beat the Bengals in Cleveland, but even that game is likely to be an absolute war.  The weather is probably going to be nasty for our last 2-3 games, and we don’t stop the run well.  But hey, who knows?  I’ll tell you this, if we win 2 of our last 3 I don’t think there’s a way you can let the coaching staff go.  It’d be franchise suicide to a team that hasn’t had much stability in forever, and if you keep Hue Jackson for over 2 years, you better keep the coaches that have your team actually WINNING a few games. 

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Yes, I think so too.

Zombo

Think about it....if the Browns beat the Broncos Saturday, then Greg Williams will have won more games in 6 games as HC than Hueless the Clueless would have won in 2.5 seasons. He has already matched his win total after just 5 games.

Even if they only win one of the last 3...he will have surpassed him in just 8 games as coach.

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Think about it....if the Browns beat the Broncos Saturday, then Greg Williams will have won more games in 6 games as HC than Hueless the Clueless would have won in 2.5 seasons. He has already matched his win total after just 5 games.

Even if they only win one of the last 3...he will have surpassed him in just 8 games as coach.

I've stated elsewhere that the broncos game is THE turnaround game for this franchise. Win it and Greg/Kitchens stay and the Brown are now looking at playoffs next year for sure. Let's not screw this up. Broncos have proven vulnerable this year. We can do this!! I am actually rooting hard against my other team the Broncos this Sat. night. Go Browns! Turn it all around without the clueless one.

38 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I've stated elsewhere that the broncos game is THE turnaround game for this franchise. Win it and Greg/Kitchens stay and the Brown are now looking at playoffs next year for sure. Let's not screw this up. Broncos have proven vulnerable this year. We can do this!! I am actually rooting hard against my other team the Broncos this Sat. night. Go Browns! Turn it all around without the clueless one.

Meh.....
Browns always lose in Denver......the other two games on their schedule are more critical....for these reasons:  A. Bengals game...division game...and the chance to put those pussy.....cats...in the basement where they belong.  2. Ravens....also division game...and rivalry game...with a chance to sweep the season series from these Ratrapers....and to kill their playoff chances.  

Let's put it this way  I would trade a loss to the Brokeback Mountainmen for a win over the Ratrapers.   I would still rather see  Denver make the playoffs than the Ravens.    

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Meh.....
Browns always lose in Denver......the other two games on their schedule are more critical....for these reasons:  A. Bengals game...division game...and the chance to put those pussy.....cats...in the basement where they belong.  2. Ravens....also division game...and rivalry game...with a chance to sweep the season series from these Ratrapers....and to kill their playoff chances.  

Let's put it this way  I would trade a loss to the Brokeback Mountainmen for a win over the Ratrapers.   I would still rather see  Denver make the playoffs than the Ravens.    

Understood. Yet I think if we beat the Broncos the rest of the dominoes fall the next two weeks and we are well on our way to playoffs next year with just a few player changes in FA/Draft. Run the table!!

What impresses me is the emotion running high being a TEAM.

Kitchens is going to stay, I think that means Williams is hc.

"If It ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/11/nfl-week-13-freddie-kitchens-has-browns-offense-cooking.html

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/11/how-freddie-kitchens-has-left-his-mark-on-the-browns-offense.html

Archived