THE BROWNS BOARD

Id like to see the Browns def emulate something from the texans D next year....

Clevfan4life

I still think we need to pick up a big LDE either in the draft or FA, but i like what the texans do with their front 7. They run their base 4-3 most of the time and use mercilus as the 5th rusher sometimes. Then in their nickel packages they bring up mercilus to the line as the 34 olb'er and move watt back to his old 5 tech spot...

We have the RDE and the olb'er (Avery) in this equation.....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top 3 defenders if available to us in Rd. One in no particular order:  DT Ed Oliver - Houston, ILB Devon White - LSU,  or ILB/OLB Josh Allen - Kentucky. We need run stoppers and I'd be happy with any one of those guys. I guess I would lean towards the large, speedy LBs since the draft is loaded with DTs and we can still get a good one in Rd Two.

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Will these two guys be gone by the time the Browns pick. I am playing the Browns will not be in the top 10 more like 15. 

Ed Oliver will be. 

The other guy was a member of a vastly overrated college defense, and his stock is probably dropping like a rock. 

😝 Just joking Woody! 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Will these two guys be gone by the time the Browns pick. I am playing the Browns will not be in the top 10 more like 15. 

There are so many great DL this year, that some have to be available. 

Rashan might drop depending on the health of his shoulder

51 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

There are so many great DL this year, that some have to be available. 

Rashan might drop depending on the health of his shoulder

A Left Tackle could be sitting there for the Browns too, if Dorsey doesn't think either candidate on the roster now is the longterm solution to the position. 

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Im not that high on rashan as of now. We missed on hurst tho, i called that one....

A lot of people did. People freaked out over the heart thing. Hurst next to Ogunjobi right now would be deadly. 

Rashan played most of the year injured. He just stayed with the team and kept playing instead of bailing like Bosa

52 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

A lot of people did. People freaked out over the heart thing. Hurst next to Ogunjobi right now would be deadly. 

Rashan played most of the year injured. He just stayed with the team and kept playing instead of bailing like Bosa

If he could keep playing then he wasn’t hurt that bad. Bosa could not play at all because of his injuries. 

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If he could keep playing then he wasn’t hurt that bad. Bosa could not play at all because of his injuries. 

Don't use reason gip. A banged up shoulder is just as bad as a torn core muscle that takes the average athlete 12 weeks to recover from.

Just now, bjh2130 said:

Don't use reason gip. A banged up shoulder is just as bad as a torn core muscle that takes the average athlete 12 weeks to recover from.

And leaving your team completely is part of the recovery....

Who am I kidding, as soon as I said something remotely negative about an OSU player I knew Gip would swarm lol

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Who am I kidding, as soon as I said something remotely negative about an OSU player I knew Gip would swarm lol

If you had just said stayed with the team then I would have left it be but you added the "and played" part. Honestly i thought Gary hurt you guys when he came back. Almost played to tentatively to avoid injury. Honestly thought him sitting those couple game Paye was more effective.

On 12/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, Clevfan4life said:

I still think we need to pick up a big LDE either in the draft or FA, but i like what the texans do with their front 7. They run their base 4-3 most of the time and use mercilus as the 5th rusher sometimes. Then in their nickel packages they bring up mercilus to the line as the 34 olb'er and move watt back to his old 5 tech spot...

We have the RDE and the olb'er (Avery) in this equation.....

Definitely. This would be a great offseason to do so. 

I think a legit DT opposite of Ojunobi would be nice.

Browns seem to do a good job producing a pass rush from the ends especially when the refs call holding but imagine if they had a consistent interior pass rush, the pocket would shrink and the sack numbers would be up!

I'm curious to see what JAX does with their DL. They'll be over the cap and it looks like Malik Jackson will be available. If Campbell was available, he'd be nice in CLE. 

Draft wise, I'd assume Gerald Willis/Dre'Monte Jones will be available.

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My top 3 defenders if available to us in Rd. One in no particular order:  DT Ed Oliver - Houston, ILB Devon White - LSU,  or ILB/OLB Josh Allen - Kentucky. We need run stoppers and I'd be happy with any one of those guys. I guess I would lean towards the large, speedy LBs since the draft is loaded with DTs and we can still get a good one in Rd Two.

I freakin' love Allen...

Oh god, calais campbell on the otber side of garrett? Prob not gonna happen but who knows.

Im gonna say something unpopular here, cause the browns are winning.....but our defense really concerns me. If our offense hadnt pressured the panthers offensive gameplan, i think the panthers would have won...and by alot. Yes, i know....the nfl is played on both sides of the ball. You have to have a balanced team......but our offense today forced the panthers to be more aggressive in the pass playcalling. Kind of played into our defensive strengths, luckily for us.

Im not so sure anymore about williams. The defense looks like its trying new shit every week, and for the most part it aint foolin nobody. I dont know if williams is firced to experiment because our rotational depth on the front line is essentially shiite.....or if he's getting enamored too much with avery and is trying to square peg/round hole the rest of the front 7 allignments to find ways to keep avery on the field......but fuck our front 7 just doesnt look settled. Thank god our lb'ing corp is fairly solid. 

Those preseason cuts to the interior are showing the last few weeks. Jobi is broke down, he's out there at 70% right now. He should not be the primary hole plugger out there like he was most of the season. He's best when he's slicing through gaps, meder or shelton were supposed to be the workhorses that allow jobi to see more 1v1 against a guard. Last week or so we're seeing that guy from blt, price i think, but he's avg...just a body. And im getting angry at seeing our 34 looks without a true 2 fap monster which really puts alot of wear on garrett when they slide him inside to 5 tech.

What williams is doing with garrett is the other big issue i have. During the course of the game i see garret at olb'er, DE and 5 tech.....wtf? Im really concerned they're gonna get him hurt bad. If they want him to do some duty at 5T xause they want use avery more, he's gonna have to put some weight on....but then he might lose his edge quicks. And he def shouldnt be dropping in coverage then. Williams needs to decide if he wants garrett to be a hybrid lineman or hybrid olb/DE. 

And then watching the 2nd string come in to.try to play the same way as the 1st string.....like zettel coming in and doing all the afirementioned things they're asking if garrett......umm no, stop it. Zettel is an "at best" serviceable 43 DE. Chris Smith is our best depth player at edge right now.

7 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

That’s because I don’t let you go with your fucking ignorant  stupidity.  if the Michigan player or whoever had absolutely no chance of coming back to play for his team he would’ve probably left too and worked out for the draft. It’s just that their injuries are far far different.  Bosa’s was far far worse but you’re too stupid to understand that.  Apparently 

O have a sneaking suspicion bosas dicesion may have also hinged on some of this internal dysfunction at osu. And also the fact he's looking at the #1 pick. Cmon woody, thats gonna be near 30m signing bonus this year. Rashan had to play through injuries so theres 2018 tape of him for scouts to look at. If he was a "lock" to go top 5 he wouldnt have played.

I need to watch more tape of him tho. He's a possibility where it looks like we'll be picking. The miss on hurst tho.....still smh

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

O have a sneaking suspicion bosas dicesion may have also hinged on some of this internal dysfunction at osu. And also the fact he's looking at the #1 pick. Cmon woody, thats gonna be near 30m signing bonus this year. Rashan had to play through injuries so theres 2018 tape of him for scouts to look at. If he was a "lock" to go top 5 he wouldnt have played.

I need to watch more tape of him tho. He's a possibility where it looks like we'll be picking. The miss on hurst tho.....still smh

Careful now Cleve.... Watch it with that OSU talk. 

I don't think Rashan had to play. Has he been seen as highly as Boss? No. But he isn't that far off. And it's the combine where he's really supposed to shine. A year of him getting double and triple teamed while on a bum shoulder wasn't ever going to make a difference.

15 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

...but our offense today forced the panthers to be more aggressive in the pass playcalling.

You realize that McCaffery had one 25-yd run in his 63-yd total for the day... on 16 carries... so that's 38-td on 15... or 2.53 ypc. More than the score forced CAR to take to the air...

As for our D wearing down... it looks like both points and yards allowed over the past 4 games are lower than any other 4-game stretch this season...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2018.htm

On 12/9/2018 at 7:01 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Josh Allen is badass. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

You realize that McCaffery had one 25-yd run in his 63-yd total for the day... on 16 carries... so that's 38-td on 15... or 2.53 ypc. More than the score forced CAR to take to the air...

As for our D wearing down... it looks like both points and yards allowed over the past 4 games are lower than any other 4-game stretch this season...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2018.htm

how much of that do you think is directly related to Baker and this offense that can stay on the field? And ur point about mccaffrey is right on, they had to move away from him because Baker was moving the ball. You can't argue that Mccaffrey was seeing some huge holes. Props to Schobert tho, he saved a couple long runs after the edge had failed. 

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

I've never doubted our starters. It's our roation im concerned with as well as what Williams is going for on some of the things he's doing with the starters. 

One more offseason and the defense should be pretty good/maybe great.

Right now there are many key 1st or 2nd year players on defense who are only getting better. 

One draft/free agency will do wonders.

Archived