THE BROWNS BOARD

WEEK 15 - TOP 25 RANKINGS - HEISMAN TROPHY -plus- ARMY/NAVY and BOWL PREDICTIONS.

mjp28

WEEK 15 - TOP 25 RANKINGS including the Final Four -plus- ARMY/NAVY, I never miss it.

RANK SCHOOL RECORD PREVIOUS RANK
RANK SCHOOL RECORD PREVIOUS RANK
1 Alabama 13-0 1
2 Clemson 13-0 2
3 Notre Dame 12-0 3
4 Oklahoma 12-1 5
5 Georgia 11-2 4
6 Ohio State 12-1 6 <---- like OHIO STATE never played and went 12-1 and B10 Champs.....again.
7 Michigan 10-2 7
8 UCF 12-0 8
9 Washington 10-3 11
10 Florida 9-3 9
11 LSU 9-3 10
12 Penn State 9-3 12
13 Washington State 10-2 13
14 Kentucky 9-3 15
15 Texas 9-4 14
16 West Virginia 8-3 16
17 Utah 9-4 17
18 Mississippi State 8-4 18
19 Texas A&M 8-4 19
20 Syracuse 9-3 20
21 Fresno State 11-2 25
22 Northwestern 8-5 21
23 Missouri 8-4 24
24 Iowa State 8-4 23
25 Boise State 10-3 22

The ARMY / NAVY Game, I never miss it.

Saturday, December 8th, 2018

Lincoln Financial Field

Gates Open: 11:00 am
March-On: 12:15 pm
* Kick-Off: 3:00 pm <------

For further Game Day Information, please click here.

TV Coverage:CBS_Eye_TEXT_2008_08

Radio Coverage:
Westwood One (National)
CBS Sports Radio (Local)csr_610-2 610 WIP

More bowl game strange things plus why is anyone an independent now?  https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/ac-cs-army-bowl-situation-20181130-story.html

Army can accomplish something that has never happened in the storied history of its football program. The Black Knights could be going to a bowl game for the third straight season.

There is just one problem. Army has no bowl affiliations and therefore might find itself on the outside looking in despite putting together another tremendous season.

Army, which boasts an impressive 9-2 record and is ranked No. 23 in the latest Associated Press poll, is an independent in an era when all 39 bowl games have binding contracts with conferences. For the second straight season, there are more bowl-eligible teams (81) than bids (78), meaning the Black Knights could find themselves sitting home when the postseason smorgasbord gets underway.

“I hope it doesn't happen,” standout linebacker and tri-captain Cole Christiansen said. "We're in the Top 25 so I really hope we get to a bowl game. It is kind of tough, but it's not the end of the world if it turns out that way.”........

.........Army is one of six remaining independents at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. Notre Dameappears headed for the College Football Playoff this season and pretty much never has to worry about securing a bowl berth if eligible.

BYU, which finished the season 6-6, is in the same position as Army of hoping it can somehow land a bid. The Cougars, like the Black Knights, are good draws at the box office and on television and are thus attractive to any bowls that might have openings.

However, a lot of factors would have to fall in place in order for either program to get earn a postseason invitation. Army, which would reach 10 wins for the second straight season by beating archrival Navy next Saturday, is hoping for a return to the Armed Forces Bowl. .......

....... Oh how quickly times have changed. In 2015, there were not enough teams with six wins to fill the 40 bowl games on the schedule. That led the NCAA to implement a rule that allowed schools with 5-7 records to be eligible based off Academic Progress Rate numbers. Sure enough, in 2016 a pair of 5-7 teams were needed to fill all the available bowl slots.

Last season, with one less bowl on the docket, three teams with six wins (Buffalo and Western Michigan of the MAC and Texas-San Antonio from Conference USA) did not receive bids.......

36 minutes ago, Axe said:

As many times as they take 29 pt beat downs by unranked teams

Actually there were only TWO one loss teams and only one could get in (and NO one was not named Michigan :lol:).

Yes OSU slipped up or there'd be FOUR undefeated teams in the Final Four......oh well the 12-1 OHIO STATE BUCKEYES back-to-back BIG TEN Champions......Rose Bowl bound.

I can live with that.

33 minutes ago, Axe said:

I'd love to see Georgia / Ohio State in a bowl game. To me that would rank right up there with the playoff games.

We can only second guess now but four undefeateted might have been:

1. ALA vs 4. ND and 2. CLEM vs 3. OSU

I think OSU will do well vs the PAC 10.  Michigan should do well in their bowl game.

I can't put a ton of faith in the polls.. I mean, they have my Gators at #10.. I've seen a decent amount of Gator football this year and I assure you, they are NOT a top 10 team.. I'm afraid their bowl game  will bear that out. :(

It wouldn't surprise me to see Mich/Fla in the outback bowl again..

From SB Nation......   https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/12/1/18120035/bowl-games-projections-2018-college-football-playoff-predictions-updates

Below, projections for all 40 2018 bowl games. I’ll update as needed throughout college football’s final Saturday before Selection Sunday.

First, the College Football Playoff

• Orange (Miami): No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Oklahoma
  • Cotton (Arlington, Texas): No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 3 Notre Dame
  • Championship (Santa Clara, California): No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 2 Clemson

Next: the rest of the New Year’s Six

Automatic bids:

• Rose (Pasadena, California): Ohio State vs. Washington
  • Sugar (New Orleans): Texas vs. Georgia

Thanks to the rankings up top, these are all essentially booked.

At-large bids:

• Peach (Atlanta): Florida vs. Michigan
  • Fiesta (Glendale, Arizona): LSU vs. UCF

And now, everything else

• Citrus (Orlando): Penn State vs. Kentucky
  • Outback (Tampa): Iowa vs. Mississippi State
  • Gator (Jacksonville): Miami vs. Texas A&M
  • Holiday (San Diego): Northwestern vs. Oregon
  • Liberty (Memphis): Oklahoma State vs. Vanderbilt
  • Military (Annapolis, MD): Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech
  • Sun (El Paso): Pitt vs. Utah
  • Belk (Charlotte): Virginia vs. South Carolina
  • Alamo (San Antonio): West Virginia vs. Washington State
  • Arizona (Tucson): San Diego State vs. Arkansas State
  • Camping World (Orlando): NC State vs. Iowa State
  • Music City (Nashville): Michigan State vs. Missouri
  • Texas (Houston): TCU vs. Auburn
  • Pinstripe (New York City): Syracuse vs. Purdue
  • Independence (Shreveport, LA): Boston College vs. BYU*
  • Cheez-It (Phoenix): Baylor vs. Cal
  • Quick Lane (Detroit): Georgia Tech vs. Wisconsin
  • First Responders (Dallas): Duke* vs. Marshall
  • Redbox (Santa Clara, CA): Minnesota vs. Stanford
  • Hawaii: Louisiana Tech vs. Hawaii
  • Dollar General (Mobile): Buffalo vs. Troy
  • Armed Forces (Fort Worth): Army* vs. Nevada*
  • Birmingham: Memphis vs. UAB*
  • Potato (Boise): NIU vs. Utah State*
  • Bahamas: FIU vs. Toledo
  • Gasparilla (Tampa): USF vs. Wake Forest
  • Frisco (TX): Temple vs. Ohio
  • Boca Raton: Houston vs. MTSU
  • New Orleans: Southern Miss vs. Appalachian State
  • Camellia (Montgomery, AL): WMU vs. Georgia Southern
  • Las Vegas: Fresno State vs. Arizona State
  • Cure (Orlando): Tulane vs. UL Lafayette
  • New Mexico (Albuquerque): North Texas vs. Boise State

* = Taking another conference’s unfilled bid.

I like to look at some of the good ones like......(or just vacations for the school officals.)

• Potato (Boise): NIU vs. Utah State* <---- what no beach?
  • Bahamas: FIU vs. Toledo <---- yeah a trip to the Bahamas!
  • Gasparilla (Tampa): USF vs. Wake Forest
  • Frisco (TX): Temple vs. Ohio
  • Boca Raton: Houston vs. MTSU
  • New Orleans: Southern Miss vs. Appalachian State <---- party time.
  • Camellia (Montgomery, AL): WMU vs. Georgia Southern
  • Las Vegas: Fresno State vs. Arizona State <---- Vegas? Nice.
  • Cure (Orlando): Tulane vs. UL Lafayette <---- Cure?

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Had the opportunity for UCF to play UF for the state of Florida and for Michigan to play LSU, two storied programs that have never played before

Instead we're going to play Florida for the 3rd time in 4 years

You're right LSU/UM sounds much better. 

Once again the bullshit espn ran committee fucked the big ten and rewards the over ranked sec.  strange that the sec has a big contract with them.  First off Nd should not have got in they did not play a championship game and comparing schedules ok and osu were better. Two who did Clemson play.  One ranked team ranked 20 that’s it they should not have got In. Three who did bama and Georgia play anyone other than each other.  No best thing for the big ten to do is not play In a single bowl game fuck em. All football fans got fucked.  Now we get to watch three fucking blow outs yay! 

Generally the independents just don't matter except a year like 2018, Army might not get a bowl game and ND doesn't have to risk losing in a conference championship game.

I guess you can't force them to join, same with the lax SEC scheduling.

Answer: an 8 or 16 team playoff like every other level of football and no major deservinv team gets left out...four just does not cut it..

Screenshot_2018-12-03-04-03-06.png

7 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

6 team playoff

6 does not work well. the BEST two get byes, make it an even 8, four go home in round one. Can be worked into the bowl cities if desired and 6 or 8 take roughly the same number of weeks.

ALA, CLEM do not need extra rest.

7 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Top teams deserve it. Regular season needs to mean something

NO they do not. They do NOT do it in any other division in football at any level down to high school. They don't even do it in baseball or basketball.

Do it right, 8 to start.....or should we say catch up with the world, there is growing support for it.

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

NO they do not. They do NOT do it in any other division in football at any level down to high school. They don't even do it in baseball or basketball.

Do it right, 8 to start.....or should we say catch up with the world, there is growing support for it.

The college football we're talking about here is NOT D3 ball...

On 12/2/2018 at 10:33 PM, MLD Woody said:

Had the opportunity for UCF to play UF for the state of Florida and for Michigan to play LSU, two storied programs that have never played before

Instead we're going to play Florida for the 3rd time in 4 years

Who makes these decisions on bowl matchups is it the bowls or do the schools have a lot of say

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Who makes these decisions on bowl matchups is it the bowls or do the schools have a lot of say

I don't think the schools get a say. The bowls want the most lucrative matchups.

That's why you'll see big name teams getting placed higher than they should to get the top matchup. Happened a lot with Michigan during RRod and Hoke.

5 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

The college football we're talking about here is NOT D3 ball...

D-1AA, D-II, D-III, NAIA, high school, peewee, somewhat MLB, NBA basically most all sports everywhere uses logical playoffs.

It took D-1A forever to move away from the stone age mythical championships, 4 teams was poor they should have done 8 teams before.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Most all of this is now predetermined and the schools, fans, media whomever do not get any choice in the matter. Too bad some good matchups will never happen.

......The teams that participate in the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division I Football Bowl Subdivision earn the right to compete in a series of post-season games called bowl games. As of 2017, there are 40 bowl games (not counting the College Football Playoff National Championship), and all are contractually obligated to offer bids to specific conferences, a situation known as a "tie-in". The "top" six bowl games ("New Year's Six") in the nation select their teams as part of the College Football Playoff (CFP), which was put into place for a minimum of 12 years, beginning with the 2014 season. Prior to 2014, the top five games in the country were chosen under the system known as the Bowl Championship Series. The bowls outside of the CFP, have individual contracts with the conferences to offer preferential bids to teams from those conferences. As long as teams are bowl eligible, they may be selected by these bowls to meet these contracts.......

Oh the HEISMAN coming up this week, three quarterbacks one from OHIO STATE!

From SB Nation.....  https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/12/3/18124631/heisman-trophy-finalists-2018

Heisman drama? Finally.

ESPN announced three finalists for the Heisman Trophy on Monday: Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray, and Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

There’s no set number of finalists that get to go to New York every year. The number is always at least three, but whether it’s more than that depends on how close the voting was, and this is the crew voters have settled on.

Finalist snubs include Washington State QB Gardner Minshew, West Virginia QB Will Grier, Memphis running back Darrell Henderson, and every defender or lineman in the country.

Either Murray or Tagovailoa will be your winner, though.

From the early weeks of the season until recently, Tagovailoa was widely considered the runaway winner.

He started putting up absurd numbers right away for the best team in the country. Every single Bama game until November featured between two and four passing TDs by Tagovailoa, him averaging at least 10.6 yards per throw with no interceptions, and Nick Saban taking him out in the second half in granting mercy to the other team.

Those early hooks meant Tagovailoa was getting way fewer touches per game than previous Heisman-winning QBs, but his performances were so bonkers that he stacked up well against them anyway. Tagovailoa put up better numbers in his first six games than any of those Heisman QBs ever put up in their best six games if someone cherry-picked them.........CONTINUED IN LINK.....

PN Experts' PolESESPN

Dec. 3, 201
Name Position School Year 1st Total
Kyler Murray QB Oklahoma Jr. 6 46
Tua Tagovailoa QB Alabama Soph. 4 44
Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State Soph. 0 29
Will Grier QB West Virginia Sr. 0 16
Darrell Henderson RB Memphis Jr. 0 4
Gardner Minshew QB Washington State Sr. 0 4
Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin Soph. 0 3
Travis Etienne RB Clemson Soph. 0 2
Quinnen Williams DL Alabama Soph. 0 2

ESPN experts: Andrea Adelson, Joel Anderson, Edward Aschoff, Kyle Bonagura, David M. Hale, Chris Low, Ivan Maisel, Adam Rittenberg, Mark Schlabach and Jake Trotter

From ESPN expert's poll.....

Well the BUCKEYE is a long shot......

Here’s a look at the oddsboard with the Heisman Trophy being awarded this Saturday:

2018 HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER ODDS
Player Odds
Kyler Murray (QB Oklahoma) -190
Tua Tagovailoa (QB Alabama) +150
Dwayne Haskins (QB Ohio State) +6000

Odds as of December 4 at Bovada

Archived