THE BROWNS BOARD

Bohemian Rhapsody review

Bohemian Rhapsody
20th Century Fox
PG-13.                  133 min

I know it’s been out for a while so this is just a quick hit seeing as how we’re so well known as it entertainment paper and Queen is one of the premier act in the classic rock world. 
Unlike OLD MAN WITH A GUN where the critics on Metascore gave a much higher rating than the audiences and here it’s the opposite here. Naturally fans of the band are going to love the film and the music while critics might possibly look at the overall picture as a movie. Personally I thought as a film the entire production was a cookie cutter outline of a lot of things we already knew or weren’t particularly surprised by. I think we all knew that plenty of record executive thought a song as long as Bohemian Rhapsody would be a sure-fire bomb right? Oops.  Also was anyone really shocked by the idea that Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek) was probably bisexual? The film never gets too deeply into the relationship with his maybe or maybe not male lover but personally I never cared, because it really had little to do with the man’s Legacy, the music. One nice thing is that the film reminds us that that legacy is the work of a group of brilliant musicians especially Brian May. (Gwilym Lee). Never forget that with almost every supergroup the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Another conversation floating around the rumor mill is one that questions how much, if any, of the music the actors actually played. As far as I can tell, the bulk of the music was actually Queen’s own recordings. It seems that Malek did some of the singing but probably less than a vocal impersonator named Marc Matel. As for Brian May’s guitar solos Lee worked tirelessly on the fingering patterns and while he didn’t actually play the songs it was good enough to eliminate the need of a hand double. But like Micky Dolenz of the Monkees once said “I'm not a drummer, I’m an actor playing the part of a drummer.” 
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY isn’t an eye-opening expose but it’s an enjoyable story accented by great and enduring classic rock.
B-
WSS

Thanks Steve. I sent that review to my brothers because they are both interested in seeing it mainly for the music (as am I). I will be going Monday if I have recovered from my mini-pneumonia that the MD acted quickly to cut off with some heavy anti-biotics. Looking forward to the movie and feel much better today than yesterday so I am sure I will go.

25 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Thanks Steve. I sent that review to my brothers because they are both interested in seeing it mainly for the music (as am I). I will be going Monday if I have recovered from my mini-pneumonia that the MD acted quickly to cut off with some heavy anti-biotics. Looking forward to the movie and feel much better today than yesterday so I am sure I will go.

Get better soon!

Thanks Steve.. Myself with no musical skills, can only sing Galileo great in showers & cars ;)..I've been twice and the B- fits right..as a huge Brian May fan.. A-minus -minus for me.. 

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Thanks Steve.. Myself with no musical skills, can only sing Galileo great in showers & cars ;)..I've been twice and the B- fits right..as a huge Brian May fan.. A-minus -minus for me.. 

I don't sing in showers because the heads then all turn away.🚿🚿😥

On 12/3/2018 at 1:51 AM, JPPT1974 said:

Not such a good singer myself. But love to sing karaoke!

Ditto but I'm not dumb enough to even try that. I'd get tomatoed.🍅

Saw the movie yesterday and loved it even though I know some of the timelines and storylines are off base. There was no promoter named Foster for example. And Freddie did not know he had AIDS when they did live-AID. Also "We will Rock You" was already on an album about 3 years before the movie purports. But the music was great and well done. Well worth the price of admission.

Archived