THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns at Texans gameday thread

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 different receivers last week.. Who says the Wishbone won't work in the NFL, or the 2 tight end set..

We now have TWO legitimate receiving threats in the backfield now. Johnson has bonafide  elite wide receiver skills, and Chubb has proven he can constantly bump block and get open for short passes(or long ones like his TD catch  :) ) ..

At least one of our TE's is finally acting like an elite level receiver and has proven both of them can block...

I am optimistic about our chances tomorrow. If we come out like the team in the 1st half of the Cinci game or the team that played the whole game versus the Falcons.. No Penalties, no mental errors, make our XPS' .. And keep their Offense off the field as much as possible...  

BobPound!  

14 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Callaway has really stepped up after a slow start, and Perriman has been playing well. The whole unit has really turned it around. Higgins is healthy. Njoku....

The offense is, dare i say... potent?

I've been impressed with Perriman and Callaway. Perriman had one catch, but it was a difficult "hands" catch on our first drive that kept us out of 3rd and long. I'd like to see more of him. I'd also like to find Devalve one weekend. 

Austin Corbett will be out today with a foot injury. Tretter is reported as playing, but has been playing on a high ankle sprain for weeks. Browns activated C/G Kyle Kalis from PS out of Michigan yesterday and flew with team to Houston. Browns waived WR Da'mari Scott to add Kalis to active 53..Somewhere I read a question on CB Terrence Mitchell might be back? T. Mitchell is practicing but cannot return till at least Panthers game next week.(sure would be nice to see this week but them's the rules) D.Willies may* also clear next week to return to practice next week, with possible return at Denver. Like Tretter, JJ Watt is listed as questionable with a knee..and Gregg Williams don't care :P   

28 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Would just like them to play a solid error free game.  If they can stay close, on the road, to a playoff team that will say a lot.  If they get rolled, that may say even more.

The Texans are a playoff team, as were the Steelers, Chiefs and Chargers, three games that the Browns struggled to compete. 

My keys to the game?

Our offensive line that didn't allow us to run inside the tackles very well last week at all have 2 gigantic challenges lining up right across from our OTs this week.   Wattshisname and Clowney.    As tough as this challenge is - it's NOT impossible.  We're about to see if I'm just wishful thinking that.  That said, Greg Robinson has quietly responded well to every challenge thrown at him in Cleveland so I'd love this pleasant surprise to continue.  Hubbard hasn't been bad since Kitchen has been calling the shots on offense.

It'll be interesting to see how Baker responds to the challenge.  It's always fun to see his response stuff he's told he shouldn't or couldn't be doing.  Last Baker heard, we weren't supposed to win a road game or win 2 games in a row. But here we are - what it is...

I WISH we had Terrence Mitchell back this week but we only have to wait 1 more week for that.  I just loved the way we didn't forfeit the quick passes with the tandem of Mitchell and Ward allowing our pass rush to get to the QB more frequently.  As much as I hear the next man up stuff - I see the difference in what our experienced DC does to protect the replacement for Mitchell in scheme.  All that said, if we stop the run up front - I like our chances to be in position to win this sucker in the end!

3 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I WISH we had Terrence Mitchell back this week but we only have to wait 1 more week for that.  I just loved the way we didn't forfeit the quick passes with the tandem of Mitchell and Ward allowing our pass rush to get to the QB more frequently. 

Terence was a helluva surprise, and while I hate that he suffered an injury, I'm so happy for him that he gets to come back for a while. He returns to a similar level of play, and he could get a nice little payday. He's also not old, and could contribute for us for several years. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Texans are a playoff team, as were the Steelers, Chiefs and Chargers, three games that the Browns struggled to compete. 

Well, I believe Ravens are a playoff team as of now, they 7-4 if they could have beaten us.

Are the Saints a playoff team?

How bout the first time we played the Steelers?

Falcons were playoffs advancers past two years ...

We can hang with good teams if we play our game ... If we DO knock off a plyoff team at their home, with rookies at QB, RB and WR1 ... then watch out, this is going to get real interesting!

Zombo

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

As Z would say- To the lot!!! We'll be well represented. Besides myself Gipper, Tour, Comeonman, and Bermeck are joining the festivities As always GO BROWNS!!!!

Sounds awesome, wish I were there ... that is a great group of Browns fans!

Bring us home a win Boys ... and take pictures

Z

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Well, I believe Ravens are a playoff team as of now, they 7-4 if they could have beaten us.

We can hang with good teams if we play our game ... If we DO knock off a plyoff team at their home, with rookies at QB, RB and WR1 ... then watch out, this is going to get real interesting!

Zombo

Good points!  WITH the Mitchell and Ward tandem changing the way we play defense - the Steelers were lucky to tie us (thanks to the bs penalty called on tackling Ben to the ground OUTSIDE the pocket) before the Saints needed us to miss 2 extra points and 2 FGs.  Next man up didn't allow our pass rush to get there nearly as much protecting Mitchell's replacement in more zone coverage (not contesting the quick throws with the aggressive styles the talents of Ward and Mitchell permitted).  It mattered...  That was the difference between Pitt I and Pitt II. 

We'll have that tandem back together with 4 games left for more of the same sic em, sock em and sack em we started the year off with.  

15 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

I think that's why I'm so silently excited about this game. The whole "if we win" train of thought, lol. Obviously, winning is the goal, but if that doesn't happen, I have two goals:

1. Mayfield survives unscathed. 

2. We play them tough and earn respect. 

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

Absolutely. The Browns should have beaten the Steelers and Saints in fact, and the Falcons at the time of the Browns game were hot. They've tailed off since and are pretty much out of the playoff race. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

We had Hue/Haley 2 out of 3 of those games and against KC we had backups running around on defense trying to contain a top 2 offense in the league

Archived