THE BROWNS BOARD

Greg Robinson

jiggins7919

34 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

That's fair, and I've often wondered why Cam Erving is producing at Tackle, whereas he couldn't cut it at virtually any position with us.  It's quite bizarre, actually.  There's only so much you can schematically do to take the pressure off a faulty Tackle, and sooner or later they tend to get exposed.  I can remember Erving simply couldn't handle the dominant bull-rushes of the league, and I can still remember his big ass flying through the air against Pittsburgh.  I could be wrong, but I believe Erving was a backup with the Chiefs, and then was pressed into service due to injury.  He seems to be doing well, and there's little doubt he had fun kicking our butts all day.  It was really frustrating watching the Chiefs' offensive line celebrate after they scored over and over again.  They have one of the best RT's in the league with Mitchell Schwartz, and I still don't fully understand what went wrong with us.  Maybe we'll never know the truth, but what I gathered is Schwartz's agent asked for too much money and we said no, he hit free agency but didn't get the money he wanted, and when Schwartz came BACK to us for the original offer we said it was no longer available.  If that's true, it's another reason to hate Sashi Brown.  

Like you said, Erving was one of the worst we've ever seen in a Browns uniform, and he wasn't just bad at tackle, he was bad EVERYWHERE, LOL.  He couldn't handle the mental side of protections schemes, AND he was outmatched physically.  It's crazy to see him succeed, but I guess I'm happy for him.  After all, he's one of my FSU boys!  (God we suck this year.  I'm used to 10 win seasons....what in the holy heck happened to my team?)

Anyways, Greg has done well, but like you said, it's probably not enough to say "he's got the job" indefinitely like I alluded to in the original post.  I guess I was just HOPING that was the case, but at any rate, you can never have enough tackles, and even if we signed Greg to add depth, it's a killer move on our part.  I haven't done the research on Tackles coming into the draft, so I'm hoping you have some good news for me.  Any coming out this year?  I want to say that last year was a VERY limited class, so maybe this year is better?

Honestly man, I'm fairly out of the draft stuff anymore. Used to be big time but life catches up fast haha. With that being said, one guy I've really locked in is Dalton Risner from Kansas State. His big knocks are  that 1) he moved around a lot on the line 2) he's going to be 24 years old entering the draft. 

That being said, he reminds me a lot of Mitchell Schwartz type of player. He's got tons of starts (40 something) at K State and has played tackle (albeit RT) for a good chunk of time. He's not a top 10 pick by any means but I really like his potential to be a solid, day one type of dude.

50 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Ehh, I haven’t watched Cam too much. But he looked BAD against A. Donald(best lineman in the game) 

He let Donald blow past him and get the strip sack, 2 times. 

Some of these lineman can block most players decently well, but get exposed when it comes to the premier talent.

Ehh back at ya. Look I was the farthest from a fan of Erving but to suggest he's not playing well based on getting beat by the best defensive player in the NFL is a bit of a stretch. The best OL in the NFL are getting destroyed by Donald. That dude is on another planet with how good he's been. 

Just now, jrb12711 said:

Ehh back at ya. Look I was the farthest from a fan of Erving but to suggest he's not playing well based on getting beat by the best defensive player in the NFL is a bit of a stretch. The best OL in the NFL are getting destroyed by Donald. That dude is on another planet with how good he's been. 

I didn’t mean “ehhh” disrespectfully.

It was more about HOW he got beat. He couldn’t even hold Donald to prevent strip sack. You’re supposed to protect the qb.

Cam Erving was the reason the Chiefs lost to the Rams.

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a better DL in my entire life.  

3 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I didn’t mean “ehhh” disrespectfully.

It was more about HOW he got beat. He couldn’t even hold Donald to prevent strip sack. You’re supposed to protect the qb.

Cam Erving was the reason the Chiefs lost to the Rams.

None taken my man. Honestly, I hear ya but I'd reverse what you said. I'd say instead Aaron Donald is the reason the Chiefs lost to the Rams. Honestly, if you got some time watch that dude in some film. Agree with JJ, I'm not sure in my 20+ years of truly watching football I've ever seen a DL with that much talent. 

14 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

But I also love the point Tour makes about Robinson adding quality depth.

And inside as well as outside.... the man can flat bulldoze.

His inside issue will be the same as Cam's was... slow recognition of stunts... but he won't get knocked on his ass.

10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

That's fair, and I've often wondered why Cam Erving is producing at Tackle, whereas he couldn't cut it at virtually any position with us.

Cam's playing LG in KC... and he's not playing all that well.

He's PFF's #76 ranked OG. That, of course, is out of 64 starters...

I guess that makes Dorsey fallible... ;)

Archived