THE BROWNS BOARD

Greg Robinson

jiggins7919

I'll be the first to admit that when we brought Robinson to the team, I kind of rolled my eyes. Here was a guy who was drafted #2 overall, as an offensive lineman from a major school, and he struggled MIGHTILY. For those who aren't familiar with WHY he struggled, I'll give you a quick breakdown. Auburn ran an incredibly simple offensive scheme, and it was far from the traditional "pro style" offenses that we tend to see in the NFL. Lots of RPO stuff, tackle-mobile run plays, and not as much of "drop back" passing. In short, Greg didn't do the things in college that he was going to do in the pros (as much, anyway). 

So why would he get drafted so early? Well, because Greg did the things he was asked to do in college incredibly well, and he possesses extraordinarily rare athletic talent. As big as he is, the man can flat out MOVE. It's not uncommon to see Greg running with the tight ends on a screen play, or running down the field blocking on running plays. I know a few times I was like, "Whoa" when I saw him running, and last week Greg jumped over a player on the ground at full speed like a deer. It's not something you generally see from a gigantic man (6'5 and 330 btw). At the combine, Greg ran a sub 5 second 40, and then put up 32 reps on bench press. Yo. 

You guys remember the beginning of the year when Desmond Harrison and Chris Hubbard were just abused by bull-rushes? They'd get their azzes walked like a labradoodle in Manhattan whenever playing against physically dominant opponents. Greg Robinson isn't a perfect player, and has faults, but if you think you're going to drop the hammer on him and push him back to the QB, you're in for some unpleasant news. I went back and watched the Bengals game, but focused primarily on the LT position. The ONLY mistake he made was the first play of the game where he held a defender on Chubb's nice catch, but it wasn't called (somehow). If you don't have the entire game to watch, go back and watch the 10 minute condensed game on YouTube. Greg was phenomenal. 

So what's the problem? For one, confidence. Greg didn't catch on quickly to the pro game, and while devastating as a run blocker at times, he was not able to hold his own on passing downs. I also think playing for Jeff Fisher's offense didn't do him any favors, and once his confidence was shot, he lost that edge that competitors need to excel. Greg often panicked and held the opponent, and once you get that reputation, the refs will be looking at you. Greg has great athletic ability, but struggles with lateral movements at times and some of the more elite pass rushers. Again, he's not perfect, but coaching can help. How? 

Freddie Kitchens immediately knew that he had to protect his QB. Baker was getting KILLED too many games in a row. Kitchens installed his version of plays that relied on getting the ball out quickly, varied running plays, and maximized protection by using multiple TE sets. This takes so much pressure off the OL, and they aren't asked to block for 4-5 seconds anymore. We played bad defenses the past 3 games, I get it. But don't act like the Bengals don't have a very solid defensive line. Greg handled his business, and you know what else? Baker likes him. Greg's confidence is soaring, and I'm really rooting for him this weekend in the toughest test he'll face all year. 

Don't be surprised if he's our starting LT for a while. We also have depth with Harrison, who could develop into a REAL stud once he gets stronger. Best part? We possibly solidified a VERY expensive position with an undrafted player and someone we picked up on waivers. How's THAT for efficiency? 

Just now, LogicIsForSquares said:

Agreed. I want to make sure he doesn’t get totally victimized by Clowney before ruling out a LT in the draft.

I plan to focus a lot of my attention on isolation of how that is going throughout the game. I'm hoping our resident OL guy Tour does so as well and posts after the game his thoughts. I already know how hard it will be for the other side of the line to handle Watt, so I'll just watch the L side.

1 minute ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

It’s kinda shocking how a 4th year bust can come in and play at such a surprisingly high level for what is expected.

Makes me wonder why Harrison was starting off rip.

We all saw Myles pushing him backwards like a TE trying to hold the edge on hard knocks.

Don't remind me. I'm afraid that's what Clowney is about to do to him. But at least he's gotten to practice against a similar sized guy with similar speed and quickness. That's a plus.

The future picture seems pretty clear once the QB of the future is in place. Protect & expand his weapons..Prepare to draft a Tackle early & late in this upcoming draft.There's some good ones coming out. Good Tackles don't hang out on FA boards..Watch Robinson on tape. He was getting killed on drop steps. Bob Wylie impressed me by making Robinson be the first guy to make contact on pass pro & don't let go. Holding only matters when ya get caught and seeing thru big body ga-lutes ain't easy. Baker & Freddie have done a great job designing plays to get ball out of Bake's hands..Am totally excited to see the first 10 mins. this Sunday..The flag beggars will come out.. 

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I plan to focus a lot of my attention on isolation of how that is going throughout the game. I'm hoping our resident OL guy Tour does so as well and posts after the game his thoughts. I already know how hard it will be for the other side of the line to handle Watt, so I'll just watch the L side.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought...don't Clowney and Watts victimize just about everyone they face? Lol. I guess there's a difference in "getting beat a few times" and "getting victimized", hahaha. I fully expect to see some holding calls, and that's fine as long as they call it for Myles, too. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought...don't Clowney and Watts victimize just about everyone they face? Lol. I guess there's a difference in "getting beat a few times" and "getting victimized", hahaha. I fully expect to see some holding calls, and that's fine as long as they call it for Myles, too. 

and i also do not mind holding as long as it is to keep Baker alive

Anybody watch Bama/Georgia? Some good stuff coming out of them trenches from both sides..My 1st look at Bama's LT Jonah Williams. I can see why he wears #73..I was shocked at the size of both tackles on Georgia.#71 Andrew Thomas 6'5" 320..#79 Isaiah Wilson 6'7" 345lbs..Both them 2 farm animals are only sophomores..good game,than bama does bama things..on to the buckeyes 

19 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Anybody watch Bama/Georgia? Some good stuff coming out of them trenches from both sides..My 1st look at Bama's LT Jonah Williams. I can see why he wears #73..I was shocked at the size of both tackles on Georgia.#71 Andrew Thomas 6'5" 320..#79 Isaiah Wilson 6'7" 345lbs..Both them 2 farm animals are only sophomores..good game,than bama does bama things..on to the buckeyes 

I was dipping in and out. I liked the Georgia QB more than the Bama one 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

SEC football

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

I was dipping in and out. I liked the Georgia QB more than the Bama one 

Bama's was injured and not playing up to his usual game. Hard to throw off of one good leg. They did Bama a favor by knocking him out with injury to the other leg.

enjoy reading Scott Petrak, mostly cause he gets the players quotes and not the media's opinion. Heres Petrak with Greg Robinson this week. https://www.brownszone.com/2018/11/29/left-tackle-greg-robinson-determined-not-to-blow-third-chance-ready-to-seize-moment/      

On 12/1/2018 at 9:43 PM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

That guy Dwayne Haskins from Ohio State is a BALLER

He was OSU-bound from the crib, considered no other school.  There's actually family home video of him acting like a QB as a little kid wearing an OSU jersey and saying he wanted to play for the buckeyes. 

The last 2 games he's been absolutely unreal.. he's hit multiple 40-yard bombs in perfect stride to the WR outside shoulder with the DB in perfect position.  Watch him tear through UW on the 29th.. they have a good D but Haskins just took every big10 single season passing record from someone named Drew Brees.

17 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

He was OSU-bound from the crib, considered no other school.  There's actually family home video of him acting like a QB as a little kid wearing an OSU jersey and saying he wanted to play for the buckeyes. 

The last 2 games he's been absolutely unreal.. he's hit multiple 40-yard bombs in perfect stride to the WR outside shoulder with the DB in perfect position.  Watch him tear through UW on the 29th.. they have a good D but Haskins just took every big10 single season passing record from someone named Drew Brees.

And while he'll never be a great runner, of late he's gotten to the level of Cardale Jones, which in Urban's offense helps soooooo much. Just taking what the defenses give him makes this offense so much more dynamic. 

On 12/1/2018 at 9:00 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Don't be surprised if he's our starting LT for a while. We also have depth with Harrison, who could develop into a REAL stud once he gets stronger. Best part? We possibly solidified a VERY expensive position with an undrafted player and someone we picked up on waivers. How's THAT for efficiency?

On 12/1/2018 at 10:56 AM, gumby73 said:

The future picture seems pretty clear once the QB of the future is in place. Protect & expand his weapons..Prepare to draft a Tackle early & late in this upcoming draft.There's some good ones coming out. Good Tackles don't hang out on FA boards..Watch Robinson on tape. He was getting killed on drop steps. Bob Wylie impressed me by making Robinson be the first guy to make contact on pass pro & don't let go. Holding only matters when ya get caught and seeing thru big body ga-lutes ain't easy. Baker & Freddie have done a great job designing plays to get ball out of Bake's hands..Am totally excited to see the first 10 mins. this Sunday..The flag beggars will come out.. 

Playcalling has helped, but chipping has done even more. If you take away the DE's speed rush, then Greg has a shot. Problem is you cannot do this every play.

Take the holding call on Greg that negated Callaway's long TD catch... pure speed move by Clowney... pure choke hold by Robinson.

Robinson is a functional OT. He'll make great depth at OT and OG for years to come, but in his 5th year in the Pros he's yet to display any of the technique you'd want to see in your starting LT.

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Robinson has done an admirable job at LT since taking over for Harrison, but give Harrison an offseason in a NFL gym and I think he gets the job back. 

That's exactly what I've said ever since seeing Harrison play. It's just really obvious that he needs more power, especially lower body power to be able to drop his anchor and stave off those powerful bull rushes. What Harrison has you can't teach, and what he needs, you can. If that makes sense. Lol. 

But I also love the point Tour makes about Robinson adding quality depth. I went back and watched the game, focusing on Robinson (like I previously stated), and I came away more impressed than anything with Robinson. He wasn't perfect, but I'm telling you he was by no means awful against a horrific front. That holding penalty just came at a terrible time. 

Harrison was a Hue decision...one of the first things changed when he left, because of "injury"...lol One of the many "my way or no way" things Hue did, that's why him and Baker have no love loss...Hue wanted Baker to play "Hue ball"...these guys are letting the offense play "Baker ball". Much better product.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:37 AM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

It’s kinda shocking how a 4th year bust can come in and play at such a surprisingly high level for what is expected.

Makes me wonder why Harrison was starting off rip.

We all saw Myles pushing him backwards like a TE trying to hold the edge on hard knocks.

It's odd, but Cameron Erving is playing pretty decently for the Chiefs right now and that dude was honestly the worst OL I've ever seen playing for the Browns. That's honestly not an exaggeration either, he was by far the worst OL I've ever witnessed in a Browns uniform. Greg was that same type of bust and somehow he's played admirably. 

With all that being said, I'm not sure I see Robinson or Harrison as more than (quality) depth for the next few years. I wouldn't be upset at all if our first round pick was a LT. 

43 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

It's odd, but Cameron Erving is playing pretty decently for the Chiefs right now and that dude was honestly the worst OL I've ever seen playing for the Browns. That's honestly not an exaggeration either, he was by far the worst OL I've ever witnessed in a Browns uniform. Greg was that same type of bust and somehow he's played admirably. 

With all that being said, I'm not sure I see Robinson or Harrison as more than (quality) depth for the next few years. I wouldn't be upset at all if our first round pick was a LT. 

That's fair, and I've often wondered why Cam Erving is producing at Tackle, whereas he couldn't cut it at virtually any position with us.  It's quite bizarre, actually.  There's only so much you can schematically do to take the pressure off a faulty Tackle, and sooner or later they tend to get exposed.  I can remember Erving simply couldn't handle the dominant bull-rushes of the league, and I can still remember his big ass flying through the air against Pittsburgh.  I could be wrong, but I believe Erving was a backup with the Chiefs, and then was pressed into service due to injury.  He seems to be doing well, and there's little doubt he had fun kicking our butts all day.  It was really frustrating watching the Chiefs' offensive line celebrate after they scored over and over again.  They have one of the best RT's in the league with Mitchell Schwartz, and I still don't fully understand what went wrong with us.  Maybe we'll never know the truth, but what I gathered is Schwartz's agent asked for too much money and we said no, he hit free agency but didn't get the money he wanted, and when Schwartz came BACK to us for the original offer we said it was no longer available.  If that's true, it's another reason to hate Sashi Brown.  

Like you said, Erving was one of the worst we've ever seen in a Browns uniform, and he wasn't just bad at tackle, he was bad EVERYWHERE, LOL.  He couldn't handle the mental side of protections schemes, AND he was outmatched physically.  It's crazy to see him succeed, but I guess I'm happy for him.  After all, he's one of my FSU boys!  (God we suck this year.  I'm used to 10 win seasons....what in the holy heck happened to my team?)

Anyways, Greg has done well, but like you said, it's probably not enough to say "he's got the job" indefinitely like I alluded to in the original post.  I guess I was just HOPING that was the case, but at any rate, you can never have enough tackles, and even if we signed Greg to add depth, it's a killer move on our part.  I haven't done the research on Tackles coming into the draft, so I'm hoping you have some good news for me.  Any coming out this year?  I want to say that last year was a VERY limited class, so maybe this year is better?

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

It's odd, but Cameron Erving is playing pretty decently for the Chiefs right now and that dude was honestly the worst OL I've ever seen playing for the Browns. 

Ehh, I haven’t watched Cam too much. But he looked BAD against A. Donald(best lineman in the game) 

He let Donald blow past him and get the strip sack, 2 times. 

Some of these lineman can block most players decently well, but get exposed when it comes to the premier talent.

Archived