THE BROWNS BOARD

George H.W .Bush 1924-2018

TexasAg1969

To be buried next to his wife on the campus of Texas A&M at the Bush Presidential Library next to his wife Barbara. A great American who never called himself a hero. Having lost his wingman in the war, he always said the real heroes never came home. An honorable man and former WW II pilot shot down in the Pacific War. Part of the Greatest Generation! And here is the real story behind it and may you R.I.P. Sir.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/06/george-hw-bushs-comrades-eaten-japanese-pow-guards/

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

To be buried next to his wife on the campus of Texas A&M at the Bush Presidential Library next to his wife Barbara. A great American who never called himself a hero. Having lost his wingman in the war, he always said the real heroes never came home. An honorable man and former WW II pilot shot down in the Pacific War. Part of the Greatest Generation! And here is the real story behind it and may you R.I.P. Sir.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/06/george-hw-bushs-comrades-eaten-japanese-pow-guards/

Agree.  Can't think of a more honorable life than he had.  And if that Sub hadn't been at the right place at the right time, history would have been changed.  RIP Sir.

He was the original 'Swiftboat' victim. When he was running against Clinton he was accused of bailing out of his plane in February 1945 over ChiChi Jima, only concerned with saving his own skin, without regard for his crewmen. The truth, as told by his fellow pilots who witnessed his actions, is that he stayed with the plane far too long, trying to give his crewman the opportunity to bail out. He finally bailed out, with the other pilots screaming at him over the radio to get out because the plane was on fire. His plane exploded seconds after he bailed out. (He was 20 years old) His crewmen didn't survive. 50 years later he said "I think about those guys every day." 

As recounted in Ronald Kessler's "In the Presidents Secret Service", he and (especially) Barbara were extremely well thought of by the agents on their Secret Service detail. One story that stands out is that he and Barbara never went home to Texas before Thanksgiving and Christmas. The would remain in D.C. until the day after those holidays in order to allow the agents on his detail to spend the holiday with their families. 

There aren't many like him around anymore. 

R.I.P Mr. President.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I certainly think it would be in poor taste to drag this up and put it on TV but I'd still be interested in seeing a montage of all the crappy things Democrats said about George Bush when he was alive. Especially the ones that are falling all over themselves in grief today.

WSS

It is all a game to those involved.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I certainly think it would be in poor taste to drag this up and put it on TV but I'd still be interested in seeing a montage of all the crappy things Democrats said about George Bush when he was alive. Especially the ones that are falling all over themselves in grief today.

WSS

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/curtis-houck/2018/12/01/what-are-you-doing-ap-offers-tasteless-obituary-george-hw-bush

I prefer to keep this thread focused on the man himself, so from the article: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He recalled that while on the submarine he asked himself why he had survived. "Why had I been spared and what did God have in store for me? In my own view there's got to be some kind of destiny and I was being spared for something on Earth." Earlier he had told Mr Bradley: "I think about those guys all the time."

There were multiple football games I attended at A&M where 41 also came to the game. Big supporter of Texas A&M Football and deserved to have his Presidential Library located on the campus. And being an ex-Sports Parachute Jumpmaster License holder (as is my daughter), I always loved him taking those tandem jumps at such a late age in life. He even leaves his wheelchair for the one on his 90th birthday. More guts (or less sense) than me. LOL!

I was unaware that he quietly attended a midnight reading of the names at the 10th anniversary of the Vietnam Wall. Heard it on radio today and found this article about it.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-11-12/news/mn-230_1_vietnam-veterans

Archived