THE BROWNS BOARD

McCarthy?

Chicopee John

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, VikingDawg said:

He is better then any coach the Browns have had since Paul Brown. 

Let's not sleep on Blanton Collier, but I don't get all the "OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOT MIKE MCCARTHY!" I'm seeing from Browns fans. 

The Browns could do much worse than Mike McCarthy. 

On 11/30/2018 at 3:11 PM, Chicopee John said:

Sorry if this has been beaten to death.  If so, I hope the Administer pulls this post or - at least - merges with an ongoing dialogue.

Who will be the next Browns' coach?

Although it seems that the current guy has a good chance of getting the full-time gig, Dorsey has lots of contacts across the league (Green Bay, Seattle, Kansas City).

Given his success with putting points on the board - i.e. giving Mayfield what he needs to become a premier NFL QB - his experience in cold weather, AND his Green Bay roots with Dorsey), I believe Mike McCarthy will be given strong consideration for the HC position.

Opening up myself to lost of criticisms, etc. I state the Mike McCarthy - assuming he leaves GB - should be the next Browns HC.

Let's start (or continue) a discussion.

I don't know if you're joking or being serious. McCarthy moves at too slow a pace like others said. He can't even set Rodgers up for success, and he's one of the best QB's of his generation. I'd take Gregg Williams 10/10 times over McCarthy.

I do wonder (and I don't know if it happened) if the "the game has passed him by" argument was used against Andy Reid at the end of his run in Philly… If I recall it seemed to be more of a "things have gotten stale" situation. 

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I do wonder (and I don't know if it happened) if the "the game has passed him by" argument was used against Andy Reid at the end of his run in Philly… If I recall it seemed to be more of a "things have gotten stale" situation. 

There's always some of that even after his great run:  https://insidetheiggles.com/2016/12/26/decision-fire-andy-reid-four-years-later/

.......Reid went 130-93-1 as the Eagles’ coach, but for all of his accomplishments, there were some questionable moments. There was the “Dream Team” debacle. That wasn’t completely his fault, but many throw much of the blame for that in Reid’s lap. Other decisions led some to wonder if he had lost it completely....... READ ON 

Not my first choice but we could do well with him I’m my opinion and I would rather take a shot on him than a college coach if I’m honest, especially Riley 

imo we need a coach who is going to get us there challenging season after season and he can do that 

i think he would automatically be better HC than any others in the division which would be a good platform to build on and he obviously would work alongside with Highsmith/Wolfe and Dorsey 

On 12/1/2018 at 6:59 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Maybe its just me, but I don't see why a NFL HC gig would be a step up from being HC at a place like Ohio State.

Other than "for the challenge" there really isn't any.

Recruiting is no picnic, however. Trading that time for more time dealing with the game could appeal to some.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, VikingDawg said:

He is better then any coach the Browns have had since Paul Brown. 

Can you name a McCarthy innovation?

22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You mean the part where they talk about the Packer Offense "stagnating"?

The "McCarthy is outdated" storyline is strong among many writing about his firing, but consider the Packers points scored totals for:

2014: 486 points scored (30.4/game)

2015: 368 (23.0/game)

2016: 432 (27.0/game)

In 2017 Rodgers was knocked out for most of the season. The Packers offensive numbers have been mediocre this year with Rodgers, though. 

27 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

I'd love to see Lincoln Riley and keep Gregg Williams as D Coordinator.

I'm starting to have some doubts about Williams as DC. 

Do you want him to stay for continuity sake or do you like the job he's done as DC? 

11 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

That is a pretty low bar. He won a lot of games with Aaron Rodgers at QB. 

Aaron Rodgers won ALL his games with the same head coach. 

15 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The same QB that is complaining about the coach holding the team back. The coach who is jobless.

There is the problem.  The player is more important than the coach 

Now a days. That’s how it is

Back in the  day it was Lombardi, Shula, Landry, Brown.  Way before Starr, Greise, Staubach, Graham

Now the player has the money, commercials, and the owners ear

And the coach better go along or he’s gone

Except for NE

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm starting to have some doubts about Williams as DC. 

Do you want him to stay for continuity sake or do you like the job he's done as DC? 

Same. I like he got the D gets takeaways but I don't think he's the guy who can take the D to an elite level. CLE doesn't stop the pass or run at a high level under him and you have to be great atleast at one to be a legit defense especially pass since passing numbers are crazy these days. 

He's a likable person but I'll take results with a new guy versus keeping a guy because I like his personality.

Browns Daily reported yesterday that Sam Wyche Tweeted or wrote that McCarthy will NOT be coaching the Browns.  I'm not sure where he got his info from, and they didn't divulge, but it's music to my ears.  I just finished listening to Gregg Williams' press conference, and I remain impressed.  I've never really listened to coach's pressers before, but I always listen to every single one of his.  I enjoy what he has to say, and while he doesn't pull any punches, he's always respectful and polite.  I'm starting to turn into a Gregg Williams believers, and I can see why players seem to like playing for him.  I really hope we get back to winning this weekend, and I think we actually will.  

Archived