THE BROWNS BOARD

This is why The Baker is our guy, the PERFECT Cleveland QB

GuNNerGatSKi

The first bit on Baker is spot on. I fucking love this kid. This is what Dorsey saw when he drafted him, the uncullable desire to annihilate his opponents and the ability to win a locker room with his give no shits attitude. The future is bright with this young man at the helm.

http://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/27/draft-class-heroes-dont-ask-mayfield-to-change/

He plays with a nice underdog, chip on his shoulder "I'll show you" attidude doesn't he?

Welcome to Cleveland.  ;)

4 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I heard some people criticizing him for his comments about hue. He didn’t spew pablum and they went nuts. Funny stuff and yes, very Cleveland like on Baker’s part. Anyone remember Kenny the Snake Stabler and his attitude? I get a bit of that with this kid. 

The Stabler reference is exactly  why I LOVE this kid!

Copy and pasted baker part

I get it, Mayfield will probably always generate some vitriol from the traditional sports fan who believes the game was built on sportsmanship and butt slaps rather than dudes wanting to annihilate each other for fun. I understand that Mayfield’s chip-on-the-shoulder ways may not be for everyone, but it sure is for me.

Even if you can’t understand what has typically motivated Mayfield to play and act with such an edge, how can you not understand this? For years Hue Jackson held the Browns captive, ruling in a power-hungry, I’m-gonna-do-what-I-want manner that put the needs of the team last and himself first. You think refusing to play Duke Johnson all these years was the best thing for the team? You think keeping Nick Chubb behind Carlos Hyde was the best thing for the team? Tyrod Taylor starting over Mayfield? The list goes on and on and on.

I know why those things happened. Hue relished the power he had as head coach, something we saw on Hard Knocks time and time again. Any player who didn’t know their place sat. Everyone knows Johnson marches to the beat of his own drum. I bet that didn’t sit well with Hue. Rookies like Mayfield and Chubb needed to understand it was Hue’s way or the highway, and Hue’s way was to play veterans he liked over better players. Because that was what he wanted, and as he often reminded us, “I’m the head coach of the football team”.

But because he was a nice guy and very political about it, nobody called him on his BS. That ended with Mayfield. In an instant Baker saw right through his charade, and I bet John Dorsey did too, thought he operated at the whims of Jimmy Haslam and was more diplomatic in his approach.

Excuse Mayfield if he doesn’t adhere to the common quarterback approach here, but that’s exactly why the Browns drafted him. Hue was a fraud in Cleveland, consistently threw everyone under the bus and made excuses for the way things happened, then got fired and immediately did it AGAIN in multiple interviews. That was completely unnecessary, but Hue only cares about one person in this business: himself. Politically, he realized he had to take the reins and do anything he could to shift the blame off of his failures.

And guess what? That is completely Jackson’s right, just like it is his right to take a job with division rival Cincinnati after going scorched earth on his former team. And the old Browns probably wouldn’t have cared, no doubt whispering behind closed doors about how maybe Hue was the lucky one for getting out of here.

That ain’t happening anymore, not on Mayfield’s watch. Pissed off and motivated, the Browns smacked Cincinnati in the mouth during the first half on Sunday like the Browns haven’t smacked anyone in recent memory, maybe in my lifetime. After the game Mayfield’s position was clear: you’re one of us, bought in completely for what is best for the team, or you’re the enemy. Period.

THAT mentality has been missing from Cleveland for soooooo long. Losing, failure, firings, media bashings, former player and coach bashings, other players on other teams using them as a punch line…it’s gone on for years, and we just accept it because it’s the Browns. They’re a joke.

Sorry if Mayfield doesn’t share your sentiment. He’s not just there to play quarterback at a high level, although he’s doing that too now that Hue’s shackles are loosed from his offense. Mayfield is there to take ownership of the team, period. When they win, he’ll give credit to everyone else. When they lose, he’ll shoulder that blame completely. That’s all he did at Oklahoma, even though he was the solution and rarely the problem.

Mayfield is the anti-Hue. There is no charade with him, nothing fake, he says exactly what is on his mind, he gets pissed about slights that most of us would get pissed about too, he does something about those slights and then he tells you exactly why he did it. He’s about the team and the culture in Cleveland, and he doesn’t care if it makes Hue, or you, or me, or the media uncomfortable or offended. Where Jackson was obsessed with outside perception of himself, Mayfield couldn’t give a rat’s behind as long as the team is taken care of first.

Mayfield has captured the Browns locker room in half-a-season, something Jackson couldn’t do in almost three years. So excuse him if he’s pissed off that someone wanted to piss all over his franchise and call it rain. Excuse him if he won’t take it laying down like the last 55 quarterbacks that have suited up for Cleveland would have. Excuse him if he’s gonna demand excellence from his teammates on the field and pride in the Cleveland Browns organization off of it.

Mayfield is NOT every other quarterback or every other player. Don’t ask him to be. This is what will make him great.

14 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Mayfield has captured the Browns locker room in half-a-season, something Jackson couldn’t do in almost three years. So excuse him if he’s pissed off that someone wanted to piss all over his franchise and call it rain. Excuse him if he won’t take it laying down like the last 55 quarterbacks that have suited up for Cleveland would have. Excuse him if he’s gonna demand excellence from his teammates on the field and pride in the Cleveland Browns organization off of it.

Mayfield is NOT every other quarterback or every other player. Don’t ask him to be. This is what will make him great.

The whole thing was excellent and spot on as to why he's the guy for Cleveland.  He was a walk on twice.    He had to earn the starting job at 2 different top D1 football programs.  Not many (if any) can say that they've done that.   That's the Cleveland mentality.   Cleveland sports fans have always had a chip on their shoulder and have always been underdogs.  Well now we have a QB who is an underdog and plays with a chip on his shoulder.  I hope to god that the last few weeks are an example of what he have to look forward to for years to come.

16 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Copy and pasted baker part

I get it, Mayfield will probably always generate some vitriol from the traditional sports fan who believes the game was built on sportsmanship and butt slaps rather than dudes wanting to annihilate each other for fun. I understand that Mayfield’s chip-on-the-shoulder ways may not be for everyone, but it sure is for me.

Even if you can’t understand what has typically motivated Mayfield to play and act with such an edge, how can you not understand this? For years Hue Jackson held the Browns captive, ruling in a power-hungry, I’m-gonna-do-what-I-want manner that put the needs of the team last and himself first. You think refusing to play Duke Johnson all these years was the best thing for the team? You think keeping Nick Chubb behind Carlos Hyde was the best thing for the team? Tyrod Taylor starting over Mayfield? The list goes on and on and on.

I know why those things happened. Hue relished the power he had as head coach, something we saw on Hard Knocks time and time again. Any player who didn’t know their place sat. Everyone knows Johnson marches to the beat of his own drum. I bet that didn’t sit well with Hue. Rookies like Mayfield and Chubb needed to understand it was Hue’s way or the highway, and Hue’s way was to play veterans he liked over better players. Because that was what he wanted, and as he often reminded us, “I’m the head coach of the football team”.

But because he was a nice guy and very political about it, nobody called him on his BS. That ended with Mayfield. In an instant Baker saw right through his charade, and I bet John Dorsey did too, thought he operated at the whims of Jimmy Haslam and was more diplomatic in his approach.

Excuse Mayfield if he doesn’t adhere to the common quarterback approach here, but that’s exactly why the Browns drafted him. Hue was a fraud in Cleveland, consistently threw everyone under the bus and made excuses for the way things happened, then got fired and immediately did it AGAIN in multiple interviews. That was completely unnecessary, but Hue only cares about one person in this business: himself. Politically, he realized he had to take the reins and do anything he could to shift the blame off of his failures.

And guess what? That is completely Jackson’s right, just like it is his right to take a job with division rival Cincinnati after going scorched earth on his former team. And the old Browns probably wouldn’t have cared, no doubt whispering behind closed doors about how maybe Hue was the lucky one for getting out of here.

That ain’t happening anymore, not on Mayfield’s watch. Pissed off and motivated, the Browns smacked Cincinnati in the mouth during the first half on Sunday like the Browns haven’t smacked anyone in recent memory, maybe in my lifetime. After the game Mayfield’s position was clear: you’re one of us, bought in completely for what is best for the team, or you’re the enemy. Period.

THAT mentality has been missing from Cleveland for soooooo long. Losing, failure, firings, media bashings, former player and coach bashings, other players on other teams using them as a punch line…it’s gone on for years, and we just accept it because it’s the Browns. They’re a joke.

Sorry if Mayfield doesn’t share your sentiment. He’s not just there to play quarterback at a high level, although he’s doing that too now that Hue’s shackles are loosed from his offense. Mayfield is there to take ownership of the team, period. When they win, he’ll give credit to everyone else. When they lose, he’ll shoulder that blame completely. That’s all he did at Oklahoma, even though he was the solution and rarely the problem.

Mayfield is the anti-Hue. There is no charade with him, nothing fake, he says exactly what is on his mind, he gets pissed about slights that most of us would get pissed about too, he does something about those slights and then he tells you exactly why he did it. He’s about the team and the culture in Cleveland, and he doesn’t care if it makes Hue, or you, or me, or the media uncomfortable or offended. Where Jackson was obsessed with outside perception of himself, Mayfield couldn’t give a rat’s behind as long as the team is taken care of first.

OK, who wrote this?

Hue got what he deserved. And the fact that that dumb ass sports reporter that got into a twitter war with Baker got what he deserved as well. Obviously he was a Hue apologist..  Hue didn't "need a job", the fucker walked with more than 5 million dollars that covers him for this year and NEXT.. He got a relatively paltry 250k to go and run to the Bungles and tell on us like a little bitch..

Baker stood up for all of us on the Cleveland side and I for one love him even God Damned more for it.. Fuck Hue and please for the love of God don't replace Kitchen's at O.C.  .. I would love to hear Baker's real thoughts on Kitchens. God wouldn't it be great if the two of them become the next big thing in the NFL. An OC that actually listens to his smart and capable QB and they work TOGETHER to come up with a game plan. One where he trusts Baker to make adjustments on the field in the huddle and not cause some kind of Ego trip from the Coaches..

Baker has the brains to run an NFL offense in the not to distant future.. Let him be a part of his future. 

I have NO problem with what Baker said or posted on Twitter. 

The guy on ESPN that didn’t like it, is allowed to think that way. But don’t tell someone else how to feel 

33 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

Baker stood up for all of us on the Cleveland side and I for one love him even God Damned more for it.. Fuck Hue and please for the love of God don't replace Kitchen's at O.C.  .. I would love to hear Baker's real thoughts on Kitchens. God wouldn't it be great if the two of them become the next big thing in the NFL. An OC that actually listens to his smart and capable QB and they work TOGETHER to come up with a game plan. One where he trusts Baker to make adjustments on the field in the huddle and not cause some kind of Ego trip from the Coaches..

Baker has the brains to run an NFL offense in the not to distant future.. Let him be a part of his future. 

You mean the way Sean Payton listens to Drew Brees when putting together the game plan and the plays they're going to call?   If you haven't, go look up Peter King's article from last Monday where he had full access to the Saints meeting rooms to see how a professional coach and QB get prepared for a game.    Wouldn't it be fun to be reading a story like that about the Browns at some point soon?

Here's what I like about Baker:

He has a fairly strong arm.  He throws it in the vicinity of where he intends to throw it.  He appears to be a good team mate who is liked by his team mates.  He plays the game with a contagious passion. And most importantly, you have the feeling that you can win the game with him at QB.  Even if you're currently losing.

Would I prefer him to be more politically correct in his statements to the press?  Sure.  But if that's what Baker has to do to be who he is on the field...then...it's part of the package and so be it.

Just rewatched some of the last game and l’m seeing more and more of the nuances that l thought made Baker excel at college. 

He’s showing some great touch on passes where the situation warrants it, like a couple passes to Chubb out of the backfield and a couple passes over a defender to drop it to his receiver a little further out. The pass to Higgins was particularly nice. And he can still sling the fastball when needed too. He had a nice one to Calloway on the 3rd or 4th TD drive.

He also had a nice play on a fake handoff where he hid the ball behind his hip on the second TD drive and then passed it to a wide open Njoku for a nice gain. That’s something l recall from watching a couple college games last year is he had a knack pulling off the “maybe l got the ball, maybe l don’t...” trick.

All just boils down to the game slowing down for him, and l expect to see more of that as the season moves on.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Just rewatched some of the last game and l’m seeing more and more of the nuances that l thought made Baker excel at college. 

He’s showing some great touch on passes where the situation warrants it, like a couple passes to Chubb out of the backfield and a couple passes over a defender to drop it to his receiver a little further out. The pass to Higgins was particularly nice. And he can still sling the fastball when needed too. He had a nice one to Calloway on the 3rd or 4th TD drive.

He also had a nice play on a fake handoff where he hid the ball behind his hip on the second TD drive and then passed it to a wide open Njoku for a nice gain. That’s something l recall from watching a couple college games last year is he had a knack pulling off the “maybe l got the ball, maybe l don’t...” trick.

All just boils down to the game slowing down for him, and l expect to see more of that as the season moves on.

It's already showed us that the game is slowing down for him..... And he's doing all of this without practicing with the 1's in OTA's and TC... He hasnt even had time to even develop chemistry with his guys.. I just think the kid is amazing.. And I'll tell you what.. This isnt the tip of the ice berg... This kid is gonna do ground breaking things.. I can just feel it...

3 hours ago, nickers said:

It's already showed us that the game is slowing down for him..... And he's doing all of this without practicing with the 1's in OTA's and TC... He hasnt even had time to even develop chemistry with his guys.. I just think the kid is amazing.. And I'll tell you what.. This isnt the tip of the ice berg... This kid is gonna do ground breaking things.. I can just feel it...

He's about to hit up against 2 of the fastest defensive front 4s in Houston and Denver. Those will be the real test of whether it's all slowed down for him. Gonna have to be a lot of 2 second decisions made.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

I believe it will also be a real test of the wr's ability to get open fast. make adjustments.

The Texans front four alone are serious business.

Landry is going to earn his pay this week. We got him for that short yardage game. The rest have to clear the openings with crossing patterns, rub offs, etc. and all in the blink of an eye. Otherwise Clowney an Watt take the handoff.

Archived