THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting Mayfield tidbit

The Cysko Kid

He has thrown 17 TDs as a rookie which ties none other than the legendary Automatic Otto Graham for best rookie season in Browns Franchise history. With five games left there is no reason at all to suspect that he will not surpass the hall of famer and GOAT candidate. 

Take that for what it's worth. 

52 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Of course there is but Bernie didn't do it. Nor did Sipe or Couch or any of the others. 

And you know there’s actually a big difference between the way the game is played now and the way it was Bernie and Sipe played it. Today’s game is like a pinball game. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

While Mayfield surpassing Otto is noteworthy we must be where of the differences in the game  from the 1946 season to now

The 2018 "can not touch the quarterbacks, wide recievers and almost anyone else" is vastly different than even the 1980s Bernie years or 1960s Jim Brown years and for sure the 1950+ original NFL Cleveland Browns years.

Remember just a week ago the highest scoring MNF game ever from over 700 MNF games where the loser has 50+ points? And that's since the 1970s..... It's a freakin' video game now.

And no wonder today's quarterbacks surpass the 35 year old mark and even 40, nobody is allowed to drive them into the ground now, so go wide open!

And I'm not being a negative douche here, but we played some pretty poor defenses our last 3 games. I predicted a win against Cincy, but I said it'd be ugly. Even though the stats said Cincy had an awful defense, I refused to believe it until I witnessed it. Now, I definitely know their defense is a mess. However, I ALSO watched Houston's defense last night, and they are a total and complete nightmare. I'm not saying we are definitely going to lose, or we're getting smoked, or anything like that, but we might be playing the hottest team in the league, and they score points just as good as they shut you down. What's worse, their defensive linemen have POWERFUL bull-rushes, and that gives Hubbard fits. We may have to do a lot of short passes, even on 3rd and long, and don't be surprised if we have to punt way more often. This will be a game for our defense to shine if we're going to win (IMO). In other words, I very seriously doubt Baker will have similar numbers to the past 2 weeks. But boy do I want to be wrong! 

8 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

He has thrown 17 TDs as a rookie which ties none other than the legendary Automatic Otto Graham for best rookie season in Browns Franchise history. With five games left there is no reason at all to suspect that he will not surpass the hall of famer and GOAT candidate. 

Take that for what it's worth. 

Good stat tempered by the fact that Otto played in a 12 game season. Baker should smash it though considering he did sit the first couple of games. Lots of potential to be the best. Especially now that he had the Huebatross removed from his neck. 

4 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Baker has done it in 8 games 

Yeah the tie was tie-rod remember him? With a better kicker and coach tie-rod would have been the guy who beat pissburgh in game 1.

Now BM stepped right in as a rookie and hit the ground running.....does this seem like a fluke? (NO! :))

13 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Speaking of Tyrod I haven't heard a peep from or about him in some time. 

As it should be with the backup QB.  I don't want to hear anything from him until (hopefully never) needed to play.   It's why Colt McCoy has stayed in the league this long.   Keeps his mouth shut...shows up and works hard and is always ready to play.  Perfect backup QB. 

PFF total stats on Mayfield and Ward

" Over the last two weeks, Mayfield has amassed a passer rating of 143.9 on throws from a clean pocket – the best marks among all quarterbacks in that span."

"Ward allowed a passer rating of just 42.4 on throws into his coverage [2 days ago], which was his best single-game mark since Week 5."

On 11/27/2018 at 5:17 AM, mjp28 said:

The 2018 "can not touch the quarterbacks, wide recievers and almost anyone else" is vastly different than even the 1980s Bernie years or 1960s Jim Brown years and for sure the 1950+ original NFL Cleveland Browns years.

Remember just a week ago the highest scoring MNF game ever from over 700 MNF games where the loser has 50+ points? And that's since the 1970s..... It's a freakin' video game now.

And no wonder today's quarterbacks surpass the 35 year old mark and even 40, nobody is allowed to drive them into the ground now, so go wide open!

Differences in the game not withstanding I'll take it.  

Archived