THE BROWNS BOARD

MNF - A look at Houston

LondonBrown

6 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Fauck Deschitt and fauxk JJ Twat.

Even Luck has tried ;)... PvpF.gif     Like it or not, former owner Bob McNair built the Texans the right way. Good GM, than found a coach to lead boys into men. 26 drafted with 11 more of Houston's own UDFA's still on roster..Dorsey got this draft right. Now let's build some back to back drafts...if Gregg Williams can win here? 👀-out  

As digital/social media has exploded we have seen a proportional explosion of new analytical approaches. I will say it up front, I have no respect or use for what I call "almost statistics". The first time I heard the phrases "Passes defensed" I recognized the birth of mental masturbation onto the world of sports.

I used to lament that the only reason announcers dubbed Bernie as "the smartest" QB is because they would have sounded stupid talkong about his athletic prowess.

So too are these "almost" stats being applied to Myles. Now, I have been critical of the kid and i am not going to bash him, however, this business of "almost" statistics does not bode well for q guy taken #1  #1. Nobody was interested in him for "look howany times he almost got there".

I will contest these videos by pointing out that in a majority of them, where Myles got an "almost" or a "he beat his man" nod, Dalton completed his pass. So what value are these "almost" numbers?

Comparatively, I have never seen JJ Watt held up by "almost" statistics. He is always shown blasting someone, disrupting the opponents offense and sucking up big gobs of momentum.

Myles was drafted to be a disruptive force, and to sack quarterbacks. To me, he gets a B- rating. If he was drafted in the later rounds his performance would be more than acceptable.

I'm not shredding him here, but he is not a monster of the midway. I don't see that the process of learning the game is going to turn him into one either. He is fast and agile but I believe for him to be maximally effective the Browns will need to acquire a real monster for the middle of rhe DL.

On 11/27/2018 at 11:31 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Last year Kevin Hogan was starting for the Browns vs. the Texans. 

Man, how things have changed. 

Kevin Hogan

Kevin Michael Hogan  (The Gunslinger) <---- nice nickname 

Position: QB Throws: Right

6-3218lb (190cm, 98kg)

Team: Denver Broncos  has he even played this year?

10 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

As digital/social media has exploded we have seen a proportional explosion of new analytical approaches. I will say it up front, I have no respect or use for what I call "almost statistics". The first time I heard the phrases "Passes defensed" I recognized the birth of mental masturbation onto the world of sports.

I used to lament that the only reason announcers dubbed Bernie as "the smartest" QB is because they would have sounded stupid talkong about his athletic prowess.

So too are these "almost" stats being applied to Myles. Now, I have been critical of the kid and i am not going to bash him, however, this business of "almost" statistics does not bode well for q guy taken #1  #1. Nobody was interested in him for "look howany times he almost got there".

I will contest these videos by pointing out that in a majority of them, where Myles got an "almost" or a "he beat his man" nod, Dalton completed his pass. So what value are these "almost" numbers?

Comparatively, I have never seen JJ Watt held up by "almost" statistics. He is always shown blasting someone, disrupting the opponents offense and sucking up big gobs of momentum.

Myles was drafted to be a disruptive force, and to sack quarterbacks. To me, he gets a B- rating. If he was drafted in the later rounds his performance would be more than acceptable.

I'm not shredding him here, but he is not a monster of the midway. I don't see that the process of learning the game is going to turn him into one either. He is fast and agile but I believe for him to be maximally effective the Browns will need to acquire a real monster for the middle of rhe DL.

There will be people on this board that will immediately disagree with your stance simply because of their past correspondences with you, and that’s their right.  However, I’m actually somewhat on your side regarding Myles Garrett, although probably not quite as harsh on him. 

I’ve said repeatedly that I am VERY harsh on Myles Garrett, BUT I also freaking LOVE the guy.  He plays hurt, he plays a ton of snaps, he puts in the work, and he’s obviously respected around the league.  That being said, I still want MORE from him.  Myles Garrett could’ve actually cost us the first game of the season against Pittsburgh.  Now of course there’s no way to know if his block in the back cost us, but it could’ve, and it was literally the dumbest, most unnecessary penalty I’ve seen in quite some time.  His penalty negated a 27 yard FG, and turned it into a 41 yard FG (or something like that, I don’t remember the exact numbers).  Our kick was eventually blocked, so maybe it would’ve been blocked from 27 yards, as it was from 41, but again…why?  Psychologically, a FG in the 20’s is like a sure thing.  So frustrating. It’s also worth point out that we were in position to kick that FG BECAUSE OF Garrett, so let’s not forget that, too (I THINK Myles was the defender that hit Ben when he threw it to Schobert?) Also, Garrett has been guilty of multiple offsides penalties, several being VERY costly, including one last week. 

I want to reiterate that I am in NO WAY hating on Myles Garrett.  He’s my second favorite player on the team, and I love so many things about him.  The guy has 10 freaking sacks for crying out loud, and he literally makes the offense account for him on most of their plays.  I give Myles Garrett a very solid “B+” right now, and the only reasons he’s not at an “A” is because of the penalties, and the abundance of the “almost got there” plays.  When we get into a close game, and they’re coming btw, the outcome could literally be decided by one or two plays.  We need our #1 pick to hold onto the QB’s jersey for the sack, to NOT run right by the QB when he isn’t touched by the LT, to get another strip-sack or two, to burst through on the 4th and shorts….whatever, you get the point.  Myles Garrett can easily get an “A” rating from me if he can find a way to create the game-changing plays during the last 5 games. 

Yes, I’m being very tough on Myles.  But you know what?  I’m nowhere near as tough on him as HE IS, and that’s a great thing.  We need a handful of “big plays” from him in these next 5 games, and I believe he can do it.  Check back in at the end of the year, and I’m confident he’ll get the “A” on his report card.  But we need the impact plays to start this week, and we need to play better than ever to beat this Houston team . 

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

There will be people on this board that will immediately disagree with your stance simply because of their past correspondences with you, and that’s their right.  However, I’m actually somewhat on your side regarding Myles Garrett, although probably not quite as harsh on him. 

I’ve said repeatedly that I am VERY harsh on Myles Garrett, BUT I also freaking LOVE the guy.  He plays hurt, he plays a ton of snaps, he puts in the work, and he’s obviously respected around the league.  That being said, I still want MORE from him.  Myles Garrett could’ve actually cost us the first game of the season against Pittsburgh.  Now of course there’s no way to know if his block in the back cost us, but it could’ve, and it was literally the dumbest, most unnecessary penalty I’ve seen in quite some time.  His penalty negated a 27 yard FG, and turned it into a 41 yard FG (or something like that, I don’t remember the exact numbers).  Our kick was eventually blocked, so maybe it would’ve been blocked from 27 yards, as it was from 41, but again…why?  Psychologically, a FG in the 20’s is like a sure thing.  So frustrating. It’s also worth point out that we were in position to kick that FG BECAUSE OF Garrett, so let’s not forget that, too (I THINK Myles was the defender that hit Ben when he threw it to Schobert?) Also, Garrett has been guilty of multiple offsides penalties, several being VERY costly, including one last week. 

I want to reiterate that I am in NO WAY hating on Myles Garrett.  He’s my second favorite player on the team, and I love so many things about him.  The guy has 10 freaking sacks for crying out loud, and he literally makes the offense account for him on most of their plays.  I give Myles Garrett a very solid “B+” right now, and the only reasons he’s not at an “A” is because of the penalties, and the abundance of the “almost got there” plays.  When we get into a close game, and they’re coming btw, the outcome could literally be decided by one or two plays.  We need our #1 pick to hold onto the QB’s jersey for the sack, to NOT run right by the QB when he isn’t touched by the LT, to get another strip-sack or two, to burst through on the 4th and shorts….whatever, you get the point.  Myles Garrett can easily get an “A” rating from me if he can find a way to create the game-changing plays during the last 5 games. 

Yes, I’m being very tough on Myles.  But you know what?  I’m nowhere near as tough on him as HE IS, and that’s a great thing.  We need a handful of “big plays” from him in these next 5 games, and I believe he can do it.  Check back in at the end of the year, and I’m confident he’ll get the “A” on his report card.  But we need the impact plays to start this week, and we need to play better than ever to beat this Houston team . 

My previous take on him was nothing more than my Sergeant Carter claw back for his Jerry Jones video. It is just my way. I believe in raising a bar to the moon, and driving people to reach for it. HOWEVER....in the real world, I am supportive of people in trying to get there. I LIKE Myles Garrett. All you said about him is true, and then some. This is the kind of kid you want to draft, this is the kind of spirit you want on your team. He is a keeper.

That said, he has not come out of the gun as a game changer a monster of the midway, a wrecking ball. He doesn't instill fear in opposing offenses the way say even James Harrison did, let alone guys like Carl Eller, Decon Jones or Mean Joe. Understand, THAT is kind of what he was packaged as.

In support of my perception, teams are not putting a lot of double teams and/or leaving an extra back behind to pick him up. The kid is strong, but not overly so. His speed is indeed exceptional and he can be effective. A monster, he is not. He is not as good as Bosa or Watt when it comes to disruption. "Learning" the game is not going to change that. He will improve, sure, but a leopard can't change his spots. 

So it is up to the Browns then, if they want Garrett to be more effective, to draft, acquire our own disuptor. a Branston Buckner,  a guy who IS at the focus of the opposing DC game plan. As it is, they are aware of Garrett, they are concerned with him, but he is just not enough of a force that opposing defenses are having to make adjustments to account for him.

Does he get held? Sure, absolutely. Will that change? No, it won't. As the NFL strives to protect the QB, more holding on the outside will be tolerated. You think Watt doesn't get held a lot? Sure he does, just as much. This is not isolated to poor us. Now, does holding against Watt get called more often than it does on Garrett? i don't know, but it would not surprise me if the answer was yes. Will this change? Nope, not ever. You know it as well as I do, the BIG names get away with more than the average name. Michael Jordon's extra steps probably amounted to a trip around the world. It's just how it is. Garrett is not a sweetheart of the media like Watt or Harrison is. Myles is a nice kid, but he is not a monster. For him to really shine, he needs a monster playing on that DL.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:41 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Something to look for in DL play from Myles. See if there is a repeat of what Cincy got away with.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Browns-Film-Room-How-Defensive-End-Myles-Garrett-is-Making-an-Impact-125497878/

Well, I'll sort of agree they were "sort of" holding Garrett, and got away with it.  And to Ghoolie- that "almost" still has him in the top 10 in most categories. Watt has 1.5 more sacks, and 2 more forced fumbles. Mack has fewer sacks but more fumbles..  Whoever said Garrett might make the Pro Bowl this year-  look at the stats, and tell me which AFC d-linemen are more deserving?  http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=SACKS&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_SACKS

And to get on the Ghoulie Joe Thomas didn't do anything for wins rant, Chandler Jones- and to be honest never heard of him until I was looking up stats- has more sacks and the same # of fumbles as Myles- playing for the bottom dwelling fighting for the #1 overall pick Arizona Cardinals.  

On 11/27/2018 at 10:19 AM, tiamat63 said:

Hopkins and DT present an interesting matchup for us.   Does Ward shadow DT and Hop gets the double thrown his way or vice versa...? 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:40 PM, Tour2ma said:

Will be interesting to see if we assign DeAndre Hopkins to Ward or double Hopkins and put Ward on their #2, Demaryius Thomas. Personally I think the latter is the better option. Should contain Hopkins while eliminating Thomas. Without a #2 WR chipping in... HOU has struggled.

Missed your earlier post, tia. I think it's the most intriguing question going into the game.

I am willing to bet that Ward can handle Thomas 1-on-1. Not so much Hopkins...

19 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I've said for some time that to look at Myles you have to look at Von Miller. The year they won the SB he had another A+ rusher (Ware) on the other end and very decent interior DL. Last year he did not have any of that and their defense suffered with him drawing a lot of extra attention. This year he has that same excellent rusher (two in fact who split time) on the other end and very good interior DL. Once again he looks all-world after that "off"year. Same will apply for Myles. We need that other A+ guy on the other end. I like Ogbah, but he is not Ware.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Missed your earlier post, tia. I think it's the most intriguing question going into the game.

I'm thinking thats the way we go as well.  Very similar to how we went at ATL.  Ward took away Ridley,  Carrie did a great job against a taller WR like Julio,  Hopkins isn't much smaller.  So help will be thrown his way and we take our chances elsewhere.   

ATL had Sanu as their #3 and he got catches.     Who does Hou has as a #3option? 

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm thinking thats the way we go as well.  Very similar to how we went at ATL.  Ward took away Ridley,  Carrie did a great job against a taller WR like Julio,  Hopkins isn't much smaller.  So help will be thrown his way and we take our chances elsewhere.   

ATL had Sanu as their #3 and he got catches.     Who does Hou has as a #3option? 

Houston has a decent WR core. That's Thomas over from SB Champs Denver BTW.

14 DeAndre Carter WR  25  5 ' 8" 190 lbs 1 Sacramento State
18 Sammie Coates Jr. WR  25  6' 1" 210 lbs 4 Auburn
16 Keke Coutee WR  21  5' 11" 180 lbs R Texas Tech
15 Will Fuller V WR  24  6' 0" 180 lbs 3 Notre Dame
10 DeAndre Hopkins WR  26  6' 1" 215 lbs 6 Clemson
17 Vyncint Smith WR  22  6' 3" 195 lbs R Limestone
87 Demaryius Thomas WR  30  6' 3" 229 lbs 9 Georgia Tech

10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Looking at that list, Ward would only be giving an inch or two away to Hopkins, Thomas is a lot bigger receiver.....  

Do what we do best. Get some early turnovers, to steal the mojo early.Browns Plus +14 in turnovers. Houston has put the ball on the turf, with 14 fumbles only losing ball 5 times.We got to win those. Watson has been sacked 37 times, throwing 9 picks.Blitz smart Williams & not every down.Baker has 7 picks with 22 sacks..Baker needs to continue putting the ball in spots where only our guys can catch it..Watson still can't throw a lot of those into tight windows, but thats where his WR talent helps Watson..Add we also need to continue good Tackle play, playing 2-3 animals coming from anywhere..Houston is in top 10 in penalties also with 76. Us 83, but Houston does nothing wrong at home appairently only drawing 29 flags at home. Ending a 8 game Houston win streak starts with rattling Watson's convindence..Find a way GW !!  

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Looking at that list, Ward would only be giving an inch or two away to Hopkins, Thomas is a lot bigger receiver.....  

If they decide to match Ward up against Hopkins this will be one of those great one on one's you get to see just a few times a season.

BTW I now get to see it here on TV, because my wife and I got so sick when we got to the airport for our trip to Boston, we had to cancel our trip. She worse than me with gastro-intestinal, but now I have a full blown sinus/lung thingy going on bad enough I'm going to the MD this morning. I rarely get sick and even more rarely take it to an MD. I hope he just says, "you put de rum in de coconut and drink it all down, you put de rum.........................." 😛

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yeah,  I know that's DT. 

I believe Ward will get him between the 20's because the hip injures throughout his career has taken away some of the footspeed.    Denzel can still play some off or bump and beat him to the spot bulk of the time. 

In the red zone?  Might see an assignment switch. 

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Do what we do best. Get some early turnovers, to steal the mojo early.Browns Plus +14 in turnovers. Houston has put the ball on the turf, with 14 fumbles only losing ball 5 times.We got to win those. Watson has been sacked 37 times, throwing 9 picks.Blitz smart Williams & not every down.Baker has 7 picks with 22 sacks..Baker needs to continue putting the ball in spots where only our guys can catch it..Watson still can't throw a lot of those into tight windows, but thats where his WR talent helps Watson..Add we also need to continue good Tackle play, playing 2-3 animals coming from anywhere..Houston is in top 10 in penalties also with 76. Us 83, but Houston does nothing wrong at home appairently only drawing 29 flags at home. Ending a 8 game Houston win streak starts with rattling Watson's convindence..Find a way GW !!  

Nice stats, and solid points, Gumby!

Perhaps I'm just scarred by the past and I keep waiting for the illusion of our team's improvement to dissipate, or perhaps I'm thinking back to the last time we played these guys and they literally destroyed us (Kevin Hogan, much different team, but still).  But this game seems like a real MO-FO, lol.  I’m nervously excited about the match-up, while I want a win more than ANYTHING, I’d really love to see us hang tough with them.  I realize that sounds like a loser’s mentality, and I agree that winning is obviously the goal, but hanging tough with a top 5 team at their place is no minor feat. 

Take the Kansas City game for example.  I want to say at halftime the score was 21-16 or something close to it.  I admit the game never really FELT close because we never got them off the field, but if you’re within 5 points, that’s literally a play away from taking the lead.  Also, we had some pretty significant injuries on the defensive side of the ball, and that’s not a good thing when you’re playing against the best offense in the AFC.  Do I think we would’ve won if defensively healthy?  I won’t go THAT far, but I CAN say with certainty that it would’ve been a much tighter game, I really believe that.

Why does this matter?  Because now we ARE healthy on defense, and we’re playing another top-rated team.  I’m eager to see how we match up against the big boys of the league, especially now that we’ve got more mojo than we’ve had in years.  What I DON’T want to see is us completely laying an egg.  Then all the talking head sport personalities will be all over the air waves saying how Baker Mayfield needs to focus on football and not social media, and he’s a distraction, and he’s not able to back it up, and blah blah blah.  If we play a solid game and still lose, that’s ok.  Frustrating perhaps, but are we really expecting to beat a team with a top 3 defense at THEIR place on the waves of an 8 game win streak?  Oddly enough, many of our fans DO think we’re going to win, and how cool does that feel?

I’m reining in my post season enthusiasm until after this game.  I won’t even MENTION the “P” word because it’s just not time.  However, win pull out a victory this Sunday, and it’s full on “P” word mania. 

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... 😎

51 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... 😎

Hopkins is filthy, but Ward is playing at a high level.  I can't believe I was actually concerned when we drafted him.  Well, not CONCERNED, but maybe a little surprised.  I was in the Bradley Chubb wagon, but it looks like both guys are set for terrific careers.  I can't imagine our team without Denzel Ward, that's for sure.  

1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

We will soon get that opportunity and a better, tougher test than Cincinnati minus Green.

Nice looking forward to BROWNS games again, eh?

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

We will soon get that opportunity and a better, tougher test than Cincinnati minus Green.

Damn sure is. They don’t have to become a dynasty overnight, just be fucking watchable for the love of god. We’re finally getting there. 

46 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Well, you make a really good point.  Obviously if we lose the playoff talk is out the window, but big deal.  We still get to play meaningful games in December, and that was definitely one of my goals for the season.  Win or lose Sunday, I'm still looking forward to the next game, and THAT'S incredibly fun.  We're going to be playing teams fighting for their playoff lives the rest of the way, so it'll be an excellent litmus test which shows us how we really stack up.  Keep winning, and Browns mania will overflow.  Heck, finish these last five games with 2 or 3 wins and I don't believe you can let Gregg Williams or Freddie Kitchens go.  The idea of having my young QB come back to the same system and coaches is extremely appealing, as is our defensive unit coming back to the same thing.  You know what's funny?  If you're another team in the NFL, I don't really think you want to see the Browns on your schedule.  We're playing loose, having fun, and the confidence is real.  Our defense takes the ball away and gets after the QB, and our offense is moving the ball through the air and on the ground.  We have ten touchdowns on our last ten trips to the red zone.  I've literally never seen anything like it, but I also want to see how we respond to getting punched in the mouth, and the Texans are known to do just that.  

Archived