THE BROWNS BOARD

Metal trump is best trump....

Clevfan4life

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Probably not boys. So pick your poison. Eliminate all tariffs and go 100% free market with the rest of the world? If you think that's a good idea fine. But if you think other manufacturing powers are going to play by the same rules you're dreaming.

I get it a lot of us manufacturers want that cheap foreign Steel. I'm sure United States Steel producers see it in a different light. That's beside the fact that the unions have had an effect on this manufacturing boom. While Lordstown closes down they're adding 3rd shifts in Tennessee.

WSS

I will always lean towards the free market. Having to compete with countries that are willing to dump chemical run off on to orphanages should be plenty of motivation to try and innovate to make the manufacturing cheaper in the long run. The US is full of plenty of smart people and companies who would want to be the first to get to that point and swim in the earnings. 

40 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I'm pretty sure Honda sells more CRV's than Accords.

Those are essentially sedans just with more room. Im not dusparaging truck sales btw, thank god that american companies are dominating that mkt or we wouldnt have american car companies.

Where the japanese especially dominate are the second hand mkt. Cause their xars hold the most value. People are perfectly fine looking at a japanese or even a VW car with near 100k miles. U wouldnt touch an american sedan with those many miles

6 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

If companies can't adapt, tough sh-it. No one sees any type writer repairmen around. The horse shoe making business didn't make it either. 

Well that means we're going to have to put it into the labor unions. I'm okay with that too. Then again the middle class in China were Indonesia or Mexico or wherever the hell would think we were millionaires if they looked at our homes.

WSS

11 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

The problem is ur talking to "profoundly" uneducated people who's only exposure to economic principles were gop voting guideline pamphlets. And i want to be perfectly clear, we're talking about one of the few policies of the trump admin i tacitly agree with.

The difference with me is that i dont dog whistle "#CAPITALISM" at people. Ive always been a proponent of managed capitalism because im smart enough to.understand that the market just left to itself will not figure everything out. It cant. If it did, the world wouldnt be the over polluted shitbasket that it is and getting worse by the year.

The invisible hand is a nice little fairy tale that only applies to baseline simple products where consumers are able to make rational choices. The complexity and vastness of the world economy is so great that consuners simply cant make rational consumption choices anymore. People cant spend all day researching every purchase. 

This mostly just leads to crony capitalism where things still end up happening but now there is a guy you can directly buy off to make it work...but only for your company. WV is a prime example of this. The coal industry is highly regulated and thus you have a limited number of firms who could buy in. They still didn't adhere to the laws and the state doctored the laws that would allow people poisoned by the water (Elk River spill) or the families of the people who were killed by coal run off (Buffalo Creek disaster) to sue for a sum of money that would make companies play by the rules. Let a few companies get sued into dust for killing people and poisoning their water and they might consider doing the right thing. The regulations only apply to a few.

4 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

This mostly just leads to crony capitalism where things still end up happening but now there is a guy you can directly buy off to make it work...but only for your company. WV is a prime example of this. The coal industry is highly regulated and thus you have a limited number of firms who could buy in. They still didn't adhere to the laws and the state doctored the laws that would allow people poisoned by the water (Elk River spill) or the families of the people who were killed by coal run off (Buffalo Creek disaster) to sue for a sum of money that would make companies play by the rules. Let a few companies get sued into dust for killing people and poisoning their water and they might consider doing the right thing. The regulations only apply to a few.

No i agree crony capitalism is a problem, which us why people need to march cronies off to the gallows. Im being completely serious. When a society allows itself every indulgence and forgets basic minimal survival instincts, they let cronies take over.......which is what happened to the u.s and why "its over".

We let capitalism get away from us and now its devoured us. What i find funny is the older generations who lament soft millennials yet they were the ones that set the stage for our runaway capitalism thats frankly made us all soft, not just millenials. The people in the 60's, 70's and "especially" the 80's.....became drunk on material excess. Now we're a culture enraptured by materialism and the old cnts just cant figure out how it all came to be cause #wasntourfault.    Nobody ever takes responsibility fir sht in this world

What kills me is that if u sat outside trump tower right now, you will see a parade of towel heads and various other foreigners.....all clamoring for "influence". Yet repiblicans think he's draining the swamp. He's a populist carpetbagger who played the fuk out of peiple he gives no personal fuks about

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I finally found that youtube with the two car guys explaining what happened and why for each car discontinued..

Consumer Reports rated  the Cruz very highly in reliability, etc.  Wait until the next gas crisis after a Democrat takes office.  All of  the sudden no one will be buy trucks and SUV's and want Sedans.

15 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Consumer Reports rated  the Cruz very highly in reliability, etc.  Wait until the next gas crisis after a Democrat takes office.  All of  the sudden no one will be buy trucks and SUV's and want Sedans.

Democrats are going to drive anything named Cruz.

WSS

Get Woke, Go Broke: GM Layoffs: A Tragedy Caused By Embracing Government Subsidies, Not Markets — They Bet the Farm on Electric Cars Instead of What People Wanted

GM: General Motors' decision to close four U.S. plants and lay off 14,700 workers, 15% of its domestic workforce, is an economic tragedy. And it might have been avoided if GM had listened to the market, rather than the Obama administration....

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/gm-layoffs-tragedy-subsidies/

Archived