THE BROWNS BOARD

Metal trump is best trump....

Clevfan4life

39 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

I was very sorry to hear about the Lordstown closure. A few years ago I saw a video on the making of the Chevy Cruze and contacted the union leader there about building one for me. He took all my specifications down to options, colors, interior, etc and engaged the union workers on taking pictures as it went through their plant which he then had made into a small picture book which he delivered to me personally at the dealership where it was delivered. He was visiting his daughter in S.A. and took it upon himself to do all that for a customer he didn't even know. We had lunch as he explained through the book the total process of building that Cruze with a lot of the union members signing the book. Still have it. Good people worked at that plant. It puts faces from the book and a real person to the closure of that plant. An American tragedy as far as I am concerned.

"The Volt and the Cruze were two of the signature achievements of the partnership between the Obama administration and General Motors following the auto-industry bailout. Although the Volt was long-planned by GM executives, it received a lot of support from the administration. Obama described the Cruze as “the car of the future.”

Both cars reflected the policies of the Obama administration but never really caught on with the car-buying public. They initially enjoyed a brief bout of enthusiasm from consumers but this was short-lived. Particularly after the price of oil fell dramatically, American consumers moved on to larger vehicles such as SUVs.

The failure of both the Volt and the Cruze is instructive. The Volt was a very high-priced car that was heavily subsidized by government policies, both federal and state, favoring electric vehicles. Many thought its high-price tag doomed it, especially since the gas-powered Cruze was a very similar car at a lower price point. But neither achieved the expected sales. These were cars Americans did not want.

Obama, who once described the manufacture of these cars as “jobs of the future,” could not be reached for comment."

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2018/11/26/watch-six-years-ago-obama-promised-to-buy-a-chevy-volt-now-it-is-dead/

Damn Obama.

Ford is having a bad year in 2018. Its stock is down 29%, and the tariffs imposed by President Trump have reportedly cost the company $1 billion, as the company is in the midst of a reorganization. Now, the company is announcing layoffs.

Jim Hackett, Ford’s CEO, is working to engineer a $25.5 billion restructuring of the automaker, hoping to cut costs and remain competitive, the Wall Street Journal reports. But auto sales are down, and one reason is the trade tariffs that Trump has imposed on metals and other goods. According to Bloomberg, Hackett has said they have already cost the company $1 billion in profit and could do “more damage” if the disputes aren’t resolved quickly.

Ford, the No. 2 U.S. automaker by sales, is making aggressive job cuts as part of that reorganization, NBC News reported. While the company hasn’t said how many jobs will be lost, a report from Morgan Stanley estimates “a global headcount reduction of approximately 12 percent,” or 24,000 of Ford’s 202,000 workers worldwide.”

http://fortune.com/2018/10/09/ford-stock-today-layoffs-trump-trade-tariffs/

56 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

Damn Obama.

Ford is having a bad year in 2018. Its stock is down 29%, and the tariffs imposed by President Trump have reportedly cost the company $1 billion, as the company is in the midst of a reorganization. Now, the company is announcing layoffs.

Jim Hackett, Ford’s CEO, is working to engineer a $25.5 billion restructuring of the automaker, hoping to cut costs and remain competitive, the Wall Street Journal reports. But auto sales are down, and one reason is the trade tariffs that Trump has imposed on metals and other goods. According to Bloomberg, Hackett has said they have already cost the company $1 billion in profit and could do “more damage” if the disputes aren’t resolved quickly.

Ford, the No. 2 U.S. automaker by sales, is making aggressive job cuts as part of that reorganization, NBC News reported. While the company hasn’t said how many jobs will be lost, a report from Morgan Stanley estimates “a global headcount reduction of approximately 12 percent,” or 24,000 of Ford’s 202,000 workers worldwide.”

http://fortune.com/2018/10/09/ford-stock-today-layoffs-trump-trade-tariffs/

You can't have it both ways...Sherrod Brown supports the tariffs..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-27/trump-gets-hand-from-a-democrat-to-block-move-to-limit-tariffs

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

The good things that are happening during Trump's presidency are because of him.

The bad things that are happening during Trump's presidency are Obama's fault

Yawn

Regardless of the politics and playing the blame game I hate to see this for the employees who will be affected.

Just now, MLD Woody said:

The first thing you did in this thread was post a Breitbart article about how this is Obama's fault....

I was countering the article it was Trump's fault. I caught the end of a news segment tonight and i wish I could have caught all of it. The Wapo journalist was making the argument that the tariffs were only a small part of this and that car trends and the raise in interest rates were more responsible.

Obama is my shepherd, I shall not work. He maketh me to drive green vehicles. He leadeth me beside still factories, he restoreth my phone. He leadeth me in the paths of idleness for his own namesake. Yea, tho I walk thru the valley of the transfer of wealth, I will fear no weevil; for they are protected. Thy rod and thy staff impale the free. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of they who produce. Thou annointeth my bread with jelly, my pipe smoketh over. Surely, rebates and tax credits shall sustain me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in a house paid for by others, forever!

the point of the tariffs is to pressure other parties to admit the old trade agreements were way, way in THEIR favor,

and that that has to end. It was leverage.

Great for Pres Trump, MAGA !

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

You can’t talk about being for free market capitalism and be for tariffs. Let the market figure it out. 

The problem is ur talking to "profoundly" uneducated people who's only exposure to economic principles were gop voting guideline pamphlets. And i want to be perfectly clear, we're talking about one of the few policies of the trump admin i tacitly agree with.

The difference with me is that i dont dog whistle "#CAPITALISM" at people. Ive always been a proponent of managed capitalism because im smart enough to.understand that the market just left to itself will not figure everything out. It cant. If it did, the world wouldnt be the over polluted shitbasket that it is and getting worse by the year.

The invisible hand is a nice little fairy tale that only applies to baseline simple products where consumers are able to make rational choices. The complexity and vastness of the world economy is so great that consuners simply cant make rational consumption choices anymore. People cant spend all day researching every purchase. 

8 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

You can’t talk about being for free market capitalism and be for tariffs. Let the market figure it out. 

Probably not boys. So pick your poison. Eliminate all tariffs and go 100% free market with the rest of the world? If you think that's a good idea fine. But if you think other manufacturing powers are going to play by the same rules you're dreaming.

I get it a lot of us manufacturers want that cheap foreign Steel. I'm sure United States Steel producers see it in a different light. That's beside the fact that the unions have had an effect on this manufacturing boom. While Lordstown closes down they're adding 3rd shifts in Tennessee.

WSS

13 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I was countering the article it was Trump's fault. I caught the end of a news segment tonight and i wish I could have caught all of it. The Wapo journalist was making the argument that the tariffs were only a small part of this and that car trends and the raise in interest rates were more responsible.

Here is a more objective look at the reality of the cuts by "car guys". It's all about the math (profit or loss), not Trump tariffs or Obama. If they ain't sellin' then they ain't buildin'. 

EDIT: Wrong explanatory vid. I'm searching again for the guys who analyzed the numbers on each of the 6 discontinued cars. All are significantly lower in sales with the low gas prices keeping people headed for SUVs, Crossovers and trucks.

Americans aren't buying 'cars' (sedans) hardly at all anymore.  Lordstown builds the Cruz which isn't selling well, and they are making hardly any profit off of it.  Americans are buying trucks  and SUV's.  Ford is quiting all cars except for the Mustang.

6 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Americans aren't buying 'cars' (sedans) hardly at all anymore.  Lordstown builds the Cruz which isn't selling well, and they are making hardly any profit off of it.  Americans are buying trucks  and SUV's.  Ford is quiting all cars except for the Mustang.

Since Ford will no longer be making cars except for the Mustangs I wonder if the next announcement will be from Ford closing plants? I read last year where Ford had cut production at a number of their plants due to lack of demand. 

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here is a more objective look at the reality of the cuts by "car guys". It's all about the math (profit or loss), not Trump tariffs or Obama. If they ain't sellin' then they ain't buildin'.

Sorry to hear that it looks like those plants closing due to costs probably won't get re-tooled to make the larger vehicles..

2 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Sorry to hear that it looks like those plants closing due to costs probably won't get re-tooled to make the larger vehicles..

The vid I'm still searching for said that in order to retool for the larger SUVs & Trucks the paint shop would have to be revamped by at least a 1$Bil remake. Everything there is set for the much smaller Cruze. Here are the numbers I found that back up what they said.

https://www.keyt.com/lifestyle/automotive/gm-will-no-longer-make-these-6-cars/892864721

And the impact on the community will be far greater than just 1500 lost jobs. It's all those other businesses that those 1500 utilize and then the layoff effects on those smaller businesses. Just a terrible thing for NE Ohio.  It closes Mar 1, 2019.

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The vid I'm still searching for said that in order to retool for the larger SUVs & Trucks the paint shop would have to be revamped by at least a 1$Bil remake. Everything there is set for the much smaller Cruze. Here are the numbers I found that back up what they said.

https://www.keyt.com/lifestyle/automotive/gm-will-no-longer-make-these-6-cars/892864721

And the impact on the community will be far greater than just 1500 lost jobs. It's all those other businesses that those 1500 utilize and then the layoff effects on those smaller businesses. Just a terrible thing for NE Ohio.  It closes Mar 1, 2019.

Absolutely... just like the creation of a new plant affects positively so many other businesses the negative effects of the plant closings will affect other businesses down stream.

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Americans aren't buying 'cars' (sedans) hardly at all anymore.  

U meant to say They're not buying american sedans right? Cause if u look out onto the st right now the chances the furst car u see is a jap sedan is like over 80%. The us xar companies are quitting that market vecause they cant make cars that run 100's of thousands of miles like an accord can. Those cars hold their value.

41 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

U meant to say They're not buying american sedans right? Cause if u look out onto the st right now the chances the furst car u see is a jap sedan is like over 80%. The us xar companies are quitting that market vecause they cant make cars that run 100's of thousands of miles like an accord can. Those cars hold their value.

I'm pretty sure Honda sells more CRV's than Accords.

Archived