THE BROWNS BOARD

Jags Bench Bortles

darren15

9 minutes ago, Mark O said:

They released him last month I think.

With all of the loot Bradford made sitting on his dupa... he should consider retirement and enjoy himself...

1 hour ago, nickers said:

With all of the loot Bradford made sitting on his dupa... he should consider retirement and enjoy himself...

Maybe best for him....but the point is, that for the Jags, he may be a better option than going with Cody Kessler.

Or...actually not, and for this reason:

The Jags Now are...or should be in tank mode.   They have no future for this year, and the future they will have would be for next year. They should be wanting to be in the position of acquiring the highest draft pick they can.   Why?  To pick their QB of the future.

The only question is:  Who should that be?   

Herbert from Oregon,  Haskins OSU.....the Duke kid.  Lock from Mizzou.

In my opinion, what the Jags should do is draft one of the above....but also trade for Eli for next year.   Let him try to do what his brother did and go somewhere in his old (football) age.....to a team with a great defense, and try to do something. And all the while have that next franchise QB on the bench.

28 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe best for him....but the point is, that for the Jags, he may be a better option than going with Cody Kessler.

Or...actually not, and for this reason:

The Jags Now are...or should be in tank mode.   They have no future for this year, and the future they will have would be for next year. They should be wanting to be in the position of acquiring the highest draft pick they can.   Why?  To pick their QB of the future.

The only question is:  Who should that be?   

Herbert from Oregon,  Haskins OSU.....the Duke kid.  Lock from Mizzou.

In my opinion, what the Jags should do is draft one of the above....but also trade for Eli for next year.   Let him try to do what his brother did and go somewhere in his old (football) age.....to a team with a great defense, and try to do something. And all the while have that next franchise QB on the bench.

The Jags should trade for Matt Stafford.  The Lions are going nowhere with him.    With the Jags defense, Stafford would be good enough to win them games and he's a lot younger than Eli.

2 minutes ago, Mark O said:

The Jags should trade for Matt Stafford.  The Lions are going nowhere with him.    With the Jags defense, Stafford would be good enough to win them games and he's a lot younger than Eli.

Fair point.   They had seemed to be a team on the verge of Championship contention....no...they WERE a team on the verge of championship contention...in that they should have been in the Super Bowl last year.  

Their mistake was putting their faith in Bortles.   If they had a good QB, they could still be on their way.  And I understand, a washed up guy (like Eli)...or a never proven guy (like Bradford) ...or some rookie they would bring in may not be their answer.    But, a good QB basically in his prime?  The could be their ticket. 

Stafford could be one. How about Derek Carr...since the RAiders seem to want to clean house.  Maybe Dalton? Maybe the Bucs would trade Winston? (though truly...he may be no better than Bortles).   Maybe Flacco could be on the market if the CRavens  want to make it permanent with Jackson.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Fair point.   They had seemed to be a team on the verge of Championship contention....no...they WERE a team on the verge of championship contention...in that they should have been in the Super Bowl last year.  

Their mistake was putting their faith in Bortles.   If they had a good QB, they could still be on their way.  And I understand, a washed up guy (like Eli)...or a never proven guy (like Bradford) ...or some rookie they would bring in may not be their answer.    But, a good QB basically in his prime?  The could be their ticket. 

Stafford could be one. How about Derek Carr...since the RAiders seem to want to clean house.  Maybe Dalton? Maybe the Bucs would trade Winston? (though truly...he may be no better than Bortles).   Maybe Flacco could be on the market if the CRavens  want to make it permanent with Jackson.

Regarding Stafford, never happen. First, the Lions would want at least two first round picks for him- if not more. Second, Spotrac says the Jags currently will be a negative $12 million in cap space for next year- worst in the NFL. Losta luck figuring how you'd afford the $28 million Stafford is guaranteed next year.  And dumping Bortles on top of that would add another $16 million, making that around a whopping negative $28 million. Talk about cap hell.   

Their only hope would be if Driskel lights it up for the Bengals, and Cinci sees fit to dump Andy. 

Looks like the Jags went all in last year and came up short.  Just like MIami, when the only option I see is them having to dump salary to clear cap space.  And if they have to dump big salaries like Campbell and Bouye guess who has the cap room and just might be in a buying mood.  :)   

22 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Of the teams with a worse record than Jax, only the Giants need / will be taking QB in the first.  Haskins is today a day2 guy.

i don't see haskins coming out this year his stock should only go up the longer he stay's in school

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Looks like the Jags went all in last year and came up short.  Just like MIami, when the only option I see is them having to dump salary to clear cap space.  And if they have to dump big salaries like Campbell and Bouye guess who has the cap room and just might be in a buying mood.  :)   

Adding both would be amazing. I think our Dline needs some depth so Garrett can rotate more, along with our secondary: I still remember how thin we were when we faced KC of all teams...

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You would think....but, the allure of NFL money is mighty....and especially is it were projected that he could be a Top Ten pick.

Especially considering this appears to be a weak QB draft in general. 

11 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Odds on Flacco to the Jags in the off season ....Lamar Jackson gets starting job in Baltimore ?

I already asked that question.   Hoorta said it is likely impossible due to the Jags going to be way, way over the cap anyway...and adding Flacco's huge contract would be impossible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, The Gipper said:

I already asked that question.   Hoorta said it is likely impossible due to the Jags going to be way, way over the cap anyway...and adding Flacco's huge contract would be impossible.

The original was Stafford to the Jags.. But Flacco's contract for 2019 is even worse....   

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Kessler was making some big time throws against Tennessee even though the game wasn’t competitive. 

Puleeeze.... Kessler looked horrible....   He did go 25\43 for 240 yards, but most of the time he looked like a lame armed edition of Deshone Kizer. Plenty of uncatchable passes, and he's mighty lucky he didn't get picked several times. 

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Puleeeze.... Kessler looked horrible....   He did go 25\43 for 240 yards, but most of the time he looked like a lame armed edition of Deshone Kizer. Plenty of uncatchable passes, and he's mighty lucky he didn't get picked several times. 

typical Kessler game...gets sacked a lot.   Most throws are within 10 yards of the LOS, nearly all checkdowns to someone even on 3rd and long, he throws it 2 yards with no chance of getting the first down.   He's a backup at best. 

On 12/7/2018 at 12:57 AM, hoorta said:

You act like I compared him to Baker or something LOL

Archived