THE BROWNS BOARD

Dumb question time

calfoxwc

so... on Chubb's highlight reel TD catch - if he hadn't have been able to complete the catch - where the )_(& is the flag for defensive interference?

The db is faceguarding, away from the ball, flagrantly....I've seen it called plenty of times before. Why no call here? How can any ref not see it?

or.....am I missing something?

I don't think it's illegal anymore unless there is also contact before the ball arrives. My son now teaches his DBs to faceguard if they are hopelessly beaten so that they don't slow down when they look back. He verifies the rules with the refs before every game to make sure they understand the new rules. Pretty sure the NFL runs it that way now too for quite some time. They will call you for the premature contact more readily though if you are faceguarding.

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Not PI because Chubb came back to the ball, the safety was just doing his job and threw his arms up.

Z

If in doubt just go to Zombo in the booth :)

This is great defense actually. Face guarding is 100% legal if the guy doesn't get significantly impeded which Chubb clearly was not. You're not wrong that this often gets called, but he didn't even lose a step in his attempt to catch the ball. It's great to know though that Chubb also has the ability to Moss someone on top of everything else. 

Thanks !

It just seems weird to have to catch the ball with the db's helmet between your arms and looking right at you.

I remember all sorts of calls and they say " he got called because he was not trying to look back for the ball"...

but I appreciate the explanations !

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I appreciate the explanations !

Really only needed one... the right one.

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I don't think it's illegal anymore unless there is also contact before the ball arrives.

Ding Ding Ding...

19 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I don't think it's illegal anymore unless there is also contact before the ball arrives. My son now teaches his DBs to faceguard if they are hopelessly beaten so that they don't slow down when they look back. He verifies the rules with the refs before every game to make sure they understand the new rules. Pretty sure the NFL runs it that way now too for quite some time. They will call you for the premature contact more readily though if you are faceguarding.

I also think it's how the face-guarding impacts the play, if that makes sense. Like, if Chubb came back to the ball and ran into the defender and fell down, I think they'd call it. Because then the defender would've been face-guarding and impeding Chubb from the path of the ball. In other words, if Chubb sold it, they would have almost HAD to call it. But we don't have beetches on our team. Chubb just went and scored. 

15 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Like, if Chubb came back to the ball and ran into the defender and fell down, I think they'd call it. Because then the defender would've been face-guarding and impeding Chubb from the path of the ball. In other words

a/k/a "contact"...

Archived