THE BROWNS BOARD

Where are our weaknesses now?

BobPOUND!

9 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Schobert really improved his coverage this season.. the other LB's are replacement-level.

I have no idea why multiple people in this thread like Avery.. if Avery wasn't the worst edge in the league in coverage he was second worst.  He's good as a backup if he isn't asked to cover in space.

1b547c7149dda9052eb99fe544ec0331f0348f15

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

I think Dorsey will solidify the d in free agency next year.  There are young FA on d.

http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

You know what’s going to be completely surreal?  Heading into free agency and the draft WITHOUT worrying about the freaking starting QB position (we’ll likely need to acquire a backup, and I’d be fine with throwing a fat check to McCown if he still wants to play). 

I mean, think about it.  When is the last time we KNEW we didn’t have to worry about our starting QB?  We can literally begin the process of BUILDING A TEAM, and that’s something our fans have been wanting for just so long.  It’s also another reason why Gregg Williams and company might return.  How do you BUILD something when you tear down some vital pillars? 

It goes without saying this previous draft is one of our best since returning, and the funny thing is, we aren’t even USING some of our high picks.  Austin Corbett was a very puzzling pick, especially when you consider the immense value the first pick of the 2nd round holds.  The Browns no doubt received countless offers for the pick, and nobody would’ve blamed them at all for trading down a little, and I remember hearing that the only way we were going to stay put and take a player is if we absolutely loved someone.  That’s what makes the Corbett pick so bizarre, as we had other holes that needed immediately fixing.  Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT knocking the pick.  He could be a terrific player, we just don’t know yet.  In fact, the only reason he HASN’T played is because we’ve been somewhat lucky in the injury department (for ONCE).  Browns Daily reported yesterday that Austin Corbett is the next offensive lineman up REGARDLESS of who gets injured.  I thought that was a pretty provocative statement.  So he can play ANY position?  Yeesh, that’s a tall order, but flexibility is in high demand. 

Something that people might not know is that during the Bengals’ game, JC Tretter aggravated his high ankle sprain, and immediately Baker and Corbett began working on center-qb exchange, and shotgun snaps.  It looked like Corbett playing center was a done deal, until Tretter channeled his inner Joe Thomas and told Corbett to get the fuk outta here, LOL.  I know the plan for Corbett was to eventually play center (according to Browns Daily), but JC Tretter is literally one of the highest rated centers in the dang league (I think he was listed in top ten, but I’m too lazy to look up, lol)

The other draft pick that was bizarre was the DE Chad Thomas.  He was a 5 star recruit out of high school, but never reached that level of stardom at Miami.  I know he came into the year healing from a hernia surgery, so that probably put him behind, but still…why was he drafted?  He’s not known to be a great pass rusher.  He doesn’t have the reputation for being the hardest worker on the field.  It just seemed like a bit of a mystery, but again, it’s early, and maybe Dorsey found a gem that will start shining next year. 

Avery as a 5th rounder is out-playing the hell out of his draft status and Schobert is doing the same thing(4th rounder)

Avery has been excelling in the run game and as a pass rusher and will continue to get better. He needs to work on his pass coverage skills and that is no secret. 

That being said, it wouldn’t hurt to go after another LB if there is a very high graded one available when Cleveland is on the clock.

I’m sure there will be more depth in the front 7 next year along with the front 7 being better/more developed.

Archived